• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ITT: we talk about awesome vg music (no remixes)

Hey, i was liying awake at 2:31 and i fired up the good ol itunes with shuffle on, and the first song that came out, was Time's Scar from Chrono Cross (awesome awesome song).

So i decided to make a thread (haven't seen one in aboot a month or so) about the music that you love from a certain game, or from certain game soundtrack.

I currently enjoy a lot:
time's scar - chrono cross
The sound of wind - Crystal Chronicles (gamecube opening)
Overworld theme from Dragon Quest 3 (symphonic version)
the dark overworld theme from a link to the past
block set - gyro from the famicom 20th anniversary compilation (very weird, i could even say thom yorkish weird)
The opening from halo.

So, what are your most favorite tracks from videogames or videogame related material?

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
inbeforeportal

edit:

and also Megaman and Chrono Trigger.

Espada

sonikokaruto said:
The sound of wind - Crystal Chronicles (gamecube opening)
the dark overworld theme from a link to the past

Awesome.

Ace Combat 2 - Dead End, Fire Youngman, Dynapolis, El Dorado
Metroid Prime - Phendrana Drifts
Megaman 8 - Frostman stage
Ace Combat 4 - Bunkershot, Aquila, Prevail, Megalith (Agnus Dei), Blue Skies (Credits)
Ace Combat Zero - Zero
Ace Combat 5 - Supercircus
Tales of the Abyss - Awkward Justice, Meaning of Birth, Feres Island, Akzeriuth Tunnel #14
Metal Gear Solid 3 - Snake Eater, Debriefing and the track that plays during the credits.
F-Zero GX - Kate Alen, Blood Falcon, Fire Field, Big Blue

Just to name a few. :lol

Dali

-FF theme that played during credit roll of FFVIII: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V8rrzq3nC50

-SNES SFII Chun Li ending (especially the upbeat part): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7IQZd2bfDKU&mode=related&search=

-Soul Blade intro (Edge of Sword): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yxrpyv8SNS4

-Cervantes' stage music from original Soul Calibur: (couldn't find the original, but here it is with some drum, bass, a slightly different tempo, Soul Calibur adlibs and Eminem lyrics) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N43Jx41IOaY

-original Ninja Gaiden (NES) music from intro: The part where Ryu's father is supposedly just cut down is specifically what I like (00:22) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_rkaiKYEkDQ

-of course Megaman 2 Wily stage 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oEVeJT6tpJc&mode=related&search=

Frog's theme and Robo's theme from Chrono Trigger - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1KW7oM772Yg&mode=related&search= (this is just frog and somehow it sounds arranged differently than how I remember it)

... and of course Time's Scar.

Danielsan

Shadow of the Colossus, the entire soundtrack.
I recently put the game back in to test my comonent cables and the music still gives me chills.

Also +1 for God Hand :D

Canti

*cntrl+F* "Guilty Gear" - No matches!

Recent favourites are
- The Cat Attached To The Rust/Drunkard Does Make Wise Remarks - Guilty Gear Isuka (I don't regret my purchase, just for the music)
- Also anything from SOTC

Dascu

Rave On - Killer7
Dissociative Identity - Killer7
Sweet Blue Flag - Killer7
Lost Painting - Castlevania: Symphony of the Night
Time's Scar - Chrono Cross
Dragon God - Chrono Cross
To Faraway Times - Chrono Trigger
Blue Water Blue Sky - Guilty Gear X

Not sure if this counts as a remix: Guile Stage - Street Fighter 2 (Tribute album version by Motoaki Furukawa)

Edit: As AniHawk said, Home Sweet Home from Beyond Good&Evil is fantastic as well.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
It's unfortunate that you're saying "no remixes".

Here's some of the best video game music I've ever heard, "remixes" or not.

ctbot.jpg

Chrono Trigger Arranged - Brink of Time
An acid-jazz fusion album of arranged Chrono Trigger music. Awesome from beginning to end, and doesn't sound "video gamey" so it's pretty accessible to people who might be generally closed to VG music.

blackmages.jpg

The Black Mages - Self-Titled
A prog-rock or light-metal compilation of FF songs, mainly battle themes. Their second album is quite a bit weaker, largely thanks to operatic Nightwish-style vocalizing and generally poor original tracks. This album, though, has all the kick of the F-Zero X soundtrack with the classic sounds of FF battle and boss themes.

actraiser_ss_front.jpg

Yuzo Koshiro - Actraiser Symphonic Suite
A fully orchestrated, symphonic version of the entire soundtrack of Actraiser. I personally feel it's Koshiro's best work ever, although I know the Etrian Odyssey crew will lynch me for saying that. It really gives the work the kind of grandeur it needs to be fully expressed.

cover.jpg

Yoko Shimomura - Legend of Mana OST
Whatever you think about Legend of Mana as a game or as an entry to the Mana series, the music is undeniably kickass and the OST is pretty volumous.

Bounce_connect.jpg

TaQ - Bounce Connected
A double album full of TaQ's best electronica. Most of the album would be loosely classified as Trance, but a wide variety of techno is represented here. It's great hearing some of the best beatmania compositions get a little room to breathe thanks to the extended track lengths. Also very accessible to Techno fans who "hate video game music".

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Mappyland for NES.

I haven't played that game in 5+ years and I still have the 1st level theme pop into my head every once in awhile. Catchy stuff.

Stumpokapow said:
It's unfortunate that you're saying "no remixes".

Here's some of the best video game music I've ever heard, "remixes" or not.

ctbot.jpg

Chrono Trigger Arranged - Brink of Time
An acid-jazz fusion album of arranged Chrono Trigger music. Awesome from beginning to end, and doesn't sound "video gamey" so it's pretty accessible to people who might be generally closed to VG music.

I just downloaded this and im having the time of my life. Thank you :D

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Iron_Scimitar said:
I just downloaded this and im having the time of my life. Thank you :D

Scott Sharkey from 1up blogged about it in like... 2000 or 2001 or something, and after hearing one track I imported the motherfucker. First CD I ever imported. After all these years, it's still one of my most-played albums.

Question: I want to post some MP3s. What's a good file hosting website to use, preferably one with unlimited or very high download bandwidth?

dog$

Hates quality gaming
I'm making a CD that has the best of non-licenced stuff out of all of Beatmania. Here's what's on my text file -

01. thunder
02. traces
03. the hope of tomorrow
04. girigiri daddy
05. snow storm
06. rakuen
07. hi school dream
08. breeding
09. make a difference
10. lower world
11. sync
12. quasar
13. love will
14. frozen ray
15. ixion
16. the shadow
17. doll
18. live together
19. empathy
20. solid state squad
21. cyber force
22. era nostalmix
23. fire wire
24. hit'n'slap
25. jazz a pump up
26. freakout
27. something wonderful
28. showdown to live
29. stream
30. gentle stress
31. regulus
32. in my eyes
33. the cube
34. my dj
35. it's so good
36. harmony and lovely
37. schlagwerk
38. summer vacation
39. liquid rain
40. a break on the edge
41. hysteria 2001

Good to see Bounce Connected mentioned; Stromatolite is also really excellent. Taka's Milestone album has some good stuff but isn't pure gold.

Meanwhile, for the most part you can't go wrong with anything from Suigyama and Koshiro, and to a lesser extent Saso and Hosoe.

Top Bottom