• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I've been a bad kid and destroyed my metabolism. Tell me about reverse dieting

Status
Not open for further replies.
You eat oatmeal and a slice of bread on weekdays and then eat four thousand calories on the weekend? I don't know how you can handle such a tremendously varying diet.

Anyways I would make sure you eat the same amount every day.

My stomach is pretty sore by the end of Saturday. I am intent bloated Sunday and pretty gassy. I burp and fart all day

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Saying my goal weight is projected to be a week from now, probably that.

All the stuff I'm finding on refeeding or reverse dieting online is slanted toward weight lifters. Any thing out there for a normal dude who just want s to transition out of a diet

So you will lose 10 pounds in a week and then just start eating more? That shit is not healthy.

So I've started formulating a strategy. I'm going to add 100 calories at a time to my diet until I am back up to 2000 or so calories.
Every time I add 100 calories, I'll wait four days to add 100 more calories.

Week 1: add a second slice of bread yo sandwich

Week 2: add a second serving of oatmeal to my breakfast.

Week 3: add 100 calories of sandwich meat to my sandwich

Week 4: add a slice of cheese to my sandwich.

From here, it gets trickier though. By my count I should be at about 600 to 700 calories. Still god awful low. I suppose logically I should begin transitioning my dinner into a sort of lunch. What is the best way to do that while creating a dinner plan in 100 calorie increments?

Servbot24

Banned
Remember that there is more to it than just calories. Adding a slice of bread is just emptiness. Try adding in veggies or meats.

Elginer

Damn OP, but sad enough I know exactly what you're going through. About 3 years ago I went through a really bad breakup with fiancee and I decided to massively lose weight. Looks back now, I starved myself. I'd eat a can of chicken noodle soup and a greek yogurt most days and then every now and then a bit of rice and beans with 1 piece of chicken if I was feeling too weak. I went from 270 to 180 in about 6 months. Not healthy and it got to the point my mom got concerned.

I'm eating normal now but the temptation to do again comes up from time to time. It's a control thing or at least it was for me. I couldn't control what was going on around me but my weight was the ONE thing I could. Good luck.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I'm not even sure how you could function on 300-500 calories a day.

The big problem is that at some point you have to revert to normal eating.

entremet

Do you know how to cook?

Sandwiches everyday sounds terrible. Not from an health standpoint. Just from a food variety point of view. Do you want some nice knife and fork meals?

Mimosa97

You don't need to wait for a whole week to add another 100 calories to your diet. And how do you expect your body to work properly if you don't eat veggies and fruits ? How is white bread + cheap meat supposed to provide enough nutriments for you to not get sick/fuck your metabolism ?

You must be shitting goat doodies at this point.

BumRush

Dude, as I mentioned in FitGAF, what you did / are doing is obviously unhealthy (which you know). At some point (a point long before yours) dieting in extreme ways stops being beneficial and starts being life-threatening.

Start eating more. Eat healthy and exercise, and even if it takes longer than you wish, you'll get there AND be happy / healthy.

dopplr

First things first mate, you will gain a lot of weight due to salts once you go back to a normal diet. The salts will hold cause you to hold onto a lot more water weight than you were used to. This is one of the reasons many people go crazy after they diet for a week or two. They eat, gain water weight and think they're just not losing anything. Or the reverse, they lose the water weight in the first week and then stall on weight loss, not realizing they just sweat out their weight rather than burning it.

Secondly, I've been where you are - you need to stop taking this as serious as before. This is #1. You need to live life normally and eat normally. You will realize true happiness when you can eat like everyone else and also look like everyone else. You won't start gaining tremendous weight immediately, but you will gain weight until you sort of hit this weight point where you will go up slightly and down slightly every few days.

Third, are you hitting the gym? If not, start body building. The easiest way to go back to a normal diet is body building. You will have more muscles, that will cause you to look better and also burn more over your daily life simply by having those muscles eat up fuel. This will also help ensure you do not balloon back as you worry(this honestly is only a worry the first couple of weeks following diets like yours that go extreme in caloric intake)

You really should not have done the diet you did. It's the reason many people balloon back to their previous weights. Your metabolism is more than likely slowed down due to your diet, perhaps not a significant amount, but certainly something to think about. Honestly, the best thing you can do right now would be to start eating ~1500 Calories a day and going up if you keep losing weight. Don't baby into it, you'll just prolong this process of going back to a stable weight for your body.

So I'm rapidly approaching my weight loss goal. One year ago this month I weighed 285 lbs. Now I weigh about 170. I want to settle down at about 160. However... I've done terrible things to achieve what I have achieved.

First and foremost, I should preface this by saying something. I am in all likelihood anorexic. I say this with a straight face and don't mean to come across as over-dramatic. My diet has become pretty much compulsive. I'll get to that more in a second. Do I regret doing so? Not really though god knows what sort of health side effects I'll be facing in the future. None of my friends have really noticed because I was so overweight and I think as a dude, most people won't look at you and think "anorexic". I'm still thickish though.

It's kind of hard talking about this since it's awkward when you bring it up. Most people will say I'm factitious. And for the record, I haven't been diagnosed formally. It's just a hunch. That said, I think it's a pretty good hunch.

Here are my eating habits:
In the morning: I'll have a bowl of oatmeal. Most of the time it's plain oatmeal. If I do have flavored oatmeal it is low sugar maple brown sugar. 1 serving. According to the label, about 100-120 calories.

When I get to work, I'll have a cup of plain black coffee. No sugar or cream. I'll drink about 3 liters of water a day. I have an office job.

Once I'm at home, I'll take a slice of bread, cut it in half, and put 1 slice of ham or turkey on it. The bread slice is 70 calories. The meat... I'm not entirely sure. It says 1 serving is 60 calories. I only use one thin slice though. It says there are 4 servings in one package of meat. That package lasts me like a month. So definitely under 1 serving.

I'll also have a cup of coffee with dinner. And more water as I get thirsty.

On saturdays, I'll eat whatever I want. I'm a bad boy on these days but even then I'd say I couldn't eat more than 3-4k calories at the most because frankly my stomach just can't hold that much. However, when I weigh myself the next dayI'll have gained between 4-8 lbs. One time during the holidays I ignored my diet for 1.5 weeks. probably ate that much every other day. ended up gaining nearly 20lbs. It was horrifying.

Exercise-wise, this is my routine: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday I got to the gym. I'll spend about 1 hour on a treadmill going at 3.5 mph - 4 mph at a moderate incline. On Fridays, I also hit the driving range (if that counts as exercise). Furthermore, lately I've been going on 5 mile hikes with my best friend on saturdays.

So yeah, with my goal nearly in hand I've been thinking about how to transition out of my diet. The last thing I want is to reach my goal and then balloon up just by eatting like a normal human being. I've come across the term "reverse-dieting" and have some questions about it.

1 - What sort of strategies should I implore?

2 - I realize that some weight gain is inevitable. I want to at least stay in the 160s by time I'm back up to a reasonable calorie intact though. So I guess I should actually go under my goal. How much should I go under by?

3 - How long should this take if I do it properly?

OP my advice to you is to start eating 1 extra normal meal day. Something as simple as a chicken breast with rice. Thats it.

Do that and go from there.

bchamba

So let's say during the week you eat 7000 calories (200 each day during the week, 3000 each day during the weekend), you average 1000 calories every day. Why don't you start eating 1000 calories every day, and then start increasing that daily amount so you're not constantly binge eating and starving yourself.

edit: wait do you only binge like that on saturday and then eat only 200 calories again on sunday?

RoyalFool

Banned
I'm in a similar boat, I lost a lot of weight (30-40% of my weight!) and now I'm hovering just about being underweight and being told I look scrawny.

It's hard to disassociate eating with guilt, especially if you like your food and have conditioned yourself to hate yourself for giving in and eating anything even remotely unhealthy for the last x months.

My advice is to avoid the binging as you'll just hate yourself for it, it's unhealthy and jumping between extremes isn't sustainable; worse case scenario you just make yourself sick anyway.

Instead keep a close eye on your kcal intake, and just slowly up it each day - even if it's just 50/100kcal. I've had like 2600kcal today with a bunch of weight training and feel just as "thin" as when I ate 500kcal a day before. Also slowly transition into only weighting yourself one every 2 days, then 3 days, then once a week etc. You need to find the right amount of kcal to balance your current weight - but check less frequently so your not getting obsessed with minor fluctuations all the time.

Congrats on the weight loss btw.

So let's say during the week you eat 7000 calories (200 each day during the week, 3000 each day during the weekend), you average 1000 calories every day. Why don't you start eating 1000 calories every day, and then start increasing that daily amount so you're not constantly binge eating and starving yourself.

edit: wait do you only binge like that on saturday and then eat only 200 calories again on sunday?

That's correct. Sunday is a week day basically.

Jesus, you eat about 400 calories a day. You need to up that to 1500, weekend you can do 2000-2300. Plan out your meals, cook some food and don't starve yourself. Eat carbs, veggies and protein. Also don't up the calories gradually, fuck that, eat 1500 starting tomorrow, hell even today. Eat breakfast (800), lunch(500) and dinner(200), don't skip any meals. You will gain around 7lbs from water retention week 1. You had the will to lose 100lbs, jump right into this.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Dude, damn. That was my weight a month ago and now I am at 272. I try to hover at 2000 calories, and I dropped out coke from my diet.

To the OP> Raise it slowly. I don't agree with all of these "Jump to xxxx calories" posts because when I went ano, and then jumped to 1300/day, I felt terrible for almost 4 or 5 weeks and my poops were awful in addition to me being almost at starting weight after a year. The second time I ano'd I'd add a small snack like a yogurt, let my body adjust, then maybe a fruit or two, and it was a little while before I had my first 'grand' meal of a chef's salad. Doing it that way felt great and I only gained 7-10 lbs over a year and it seemed to be mostly not fat.

To the OP> Raise it slowly. I don't agree with all of these "Jump to xxxx calories" posts because when I went ano, and then jumped to 1300/day, I felt terrible for almost 4 or 5 weeks and my poops were awful in addition to me being almost at starting weight after a year. The second time I ano'd I'd add a small snack like a yogurt, let my body adjust, then maybe a fruit or two, and it was a little while before I had my first 'grand' meal of a chef's salad. Doing it that way felt great and I only gained 7-10 lbs over a year and it seemed to be mostly not fat.

How much weight did you lose both times? How long has it been since the second time? And how long did it take to fully adjust?

OmegaX

So I've started formulating a strategy. I'm going to add 100 calories at a time to my diet until I am back up to 2000 or so calories.
Every time I add 100 calories, I'll wait four days to add 100 more calories.

Week 1: add a second slice of bread yo sandwich

Week 2: add a second serving of oatmeal to my breakfast.

Week 3: add 100 calories of sandwich meat to my sandwich

Week 4: add a slice of cheese to my sandwich.

From here, it gets trickier though. By my count I should be at about 600 to 700 calories. Still god awful low. I suppose logically I should begin transitioning my dinner into a sort of lunch. What is the best way to do that while creating a dinner plan in 100 calorie increments?

Do you ever plan to have lunch again? I couldn't work at all if I didn't have lunch.

Edit: I mean, have both dinner AND lunch. Your dinner is just a sandwich. You need at least one full meal a day.

Yeah. Eventually. I'm planning on bumping into that sandwich down to lunch and actually having a real meal for dinner but it will take time to transition.

Not sure if I should go 100 calories or 200 at a time.

Azulsky

That same willpower you used to make yourself get on this crazy train should be summoned again to help you get off it.

Its pretty obvious that you know you need to eat more so why aren't you doing it. This is just a cry for attention.

Start eating and see a therapist.

Maybe I shouldn't have used the term reverse dieting. It seems like most people think I'm trying to lose weight when in fact I'm trying to start eating again.

Rich!

I'm kinda the same.

Been 65kg/10st since January now. I was 86kg/13.6st this time last year. My daily diet:

- No breakfast. Maybe a cereal bar, depends how lazy I'm being. Honestly not hungry enough to need breakfast. Just a cup of tea each morning, nothing else.

- Small lunch. Usually a pasta dish, small sandwich or salad. No more than 500 calories. I only drink no-sugar drinks like pepsi max or water.

- Dinner is something different each day, nearly always homemade (my parents run a cafe). Good variety of vegetables, meat and stuff. No processed crap.

well...that's weekdays anyhow. Weekends are full of greasy fryups, takeaways and pizza.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom