• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Iwata explains the reasons of 3DS's price cut; gives it 4 months to resurrect

Vinci

Danish
ksamedi said:
Yeah I agree here. They really haven't highlighted any of the features at all really. Not even the 3D. They need more games playing to various strengths of the system.

What's truly insane... is that the 3D is the only feature of the ones the system has that cannot be showcased in commercials or traditional advertising. And yet it's what they're staking its success on. How stupid is this?

gatti-man

Cygnus X-1 said:
What I cannot stop thinking in this giant move is that Nintendo is solely relying on the power of the Mario's franchise. I think this is maybe even the first time they are giving the destiny of an entire system in the hands of a single brand. Even if as powerful as Mario.

It's a big gamble. Point. It would be much better to have "secondary games" to ship at the same time to give the handheld more "consistency".
Starfox man. Its what sold the 3ds to me.

Laguna

Banned
Galvanise_ said:
I think Vita will be fine. It has a much stronger launch line up, and the pool of 'core' launch buyers who are not adverse to $250/£230 hardware. Additionally, Vita provides a lot more revenue streams for developers. DLC, Subscriptions, PlayStation Suite etc.

We don´t know what the launch-lineup will look like and I doubt all of the shown games will be available at launch. Also there weren´t shown a lot of 3rd party games for Vita at E3 and it´s pretty telling that in this regard a Street Fighter vs Tekken port has been the 3rd party highlight.

weeaboo

I hope everything goes well for the 3DS and Nintendo, I'm starting to feel a bit worried ;_;

They also should start to throw money at japanese third party.

Spiegel

Father_Brain said:
This assumes that western devs were there in the first place. :p It certainly won't drive them towards 3DS to any significant degree, though!

Yep

“I think it looks like a great device,” EA Play boss Jeff Karp told MCV. “But the real challenge for all game handhelds is how they stack up against mobile and tablets.

“After all, how many devices do people want to carry?

“We are a platform agnostic business and we want them all to succeed, but it will be challenge for handhelds. Just look at how smartphones and tablets continue to grow and emerge.”

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/ea-questions-future-of-portable-gaming/082542

If the biggest western publisher don't believe in dedicated handhelds you know Nintendo and Sony are going to be fighting an uphill battle.

Maybe Vita will get iphone ports on the Playstation Suite at best, because they clearly have jumped on the smartphone bandwagon.

Cygnus X-1

Tobor said:
They're still ignoring one of their biggest problems, the price of software.

I seriously think here there is not much to do, otherwise there would be no way to compensate development's costs.
Again, we're talking about two different way to make money: one who is proprietary's hardware based; and the other who is phones/web based.

Maybe the former is going to end its days by next generation. Who knows?

PSP went through some dark times and Sony are still up and running, let's calm our tits.

Iwata is mostly concerned because he wants 3DS to live up to the 150M expectations.

Cygnus X-1 said:
Schedule for Japan please?
Super Mario
Mario Kart
Kid Icarus
Pokémon Scramble
Love Plus
Dragon Quest Slime
Metal Gear Solid
Inazuma Eleven

And possibly more (or less, lol).

Vinci

Danish
Spiegel said:
If the biggest western publisher don't believe in dedicated handhelds you know Nintendo and Sony are going to be fighting an uphill battle.

Many were also highly skeptical of the Wii and DS. Look how those turned out.

Gravijah

Cygnus X-1 said:
Probably has something to do with the quite heavy piracy DS enjoyed in the last few years. Bad thing for the consumer, that's for sure.

How exactly does region locking stop piracy?

Fredrik

Lord Ghirahim said:
I don't think Iwata is that remorseful. The system is still region-locked. A region-locked portable console. In 2011.
I've only had mine for about a month, haven't got myself updated on the regional differences etc. Are there lots of great games in Japan out that haven't got or won't be translated?

weeskwee

Banned
I am a big Sony/Vita fanboy but i think this price reduction will work.
But i also think N needs to keep pumping out the big first party titles, endlessly through this systems lifecycle. keep making new marios, karts, zeldas, etc. once one releases, start on the next one and get it out within a year or two.
The Wii only got out 2 real Mario games (Galaxy 1 & 2), 2 metroids, one Mario Kart, one Zelda, one donkey kong, and one animal crossing. That's shameful really. Step it up Nintendo and the people will come. Eventually.

1-D_FTW

BurntPork said:
But if it doesn't succeed this holiday and maintain success afterward, investors will force Nintendo to either leave the hardware business or deal with bankruptcy. The entire company is riding on this, and the situation is making itself worse because customers are losing faith in Nintendo as well. The fact of the matter is that Nintendo's risking a lot here, and it would really be in their best interest to throw in the towel right now. If Nintendo had instead announced that they were abandoning the 3DS and moving to iOS yesterday, their stock price would have skyrocketed. Now, it'll be below $10 by October.

I said Wow. BurntPork does what Nintendooesn't.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Vinci said:
Many were also highly skeptical of the Wii and DS. Look how those turned out.
And their success translated into such a huge support by Western third parties.

Also, wow at BurntPork.

wsippel

Banned
BurntPork said:
Because it's mostly kids that want the DSi, and their parents will be scared off by the 3DS's warnings. The 3D made it dead-on-arrival. Even worse, since DS games don't look good at all in the 3DS screen, there's still a reason for even older gamers to choose the DSi over the 3DS. Nothing short of the best library ever could save it, and that's not what it's getting. Even if it survives, it'll be Nintendo's least successful handheld BY FAR, which is why investors want Nintendo to move on to iOS.
No sane investor wants them to move to smartphones. There's simply no money to be made there. It's all bullshit. People point at Angry Birds, but look beyond the hype: there's no revenue. It's a complete joke to a multi billion dollar company. And you still need to get incredibly lucky to make any money at all on that junkyard some people lovingly call AppStore. It only benefits a single company, and that's Apple.

THIS IS FUNNY. i dunno about you guys but i' don't have a 3ds because i'm waiting for the inévitable (+) version with things corrected.

I really think that the strong momentum of the ds and the habit nintendo has to revision his consoles ( even if it's an industry standard now ) is hurting the 3DS like crazy

BurntPork said:
But if it doesn't succeed this holiday and maintain success afterward, investors will force Nintendo to either leave the hardware business or deal with bankruptcy. The entire company is riding on this, and the situation is making itself worse because customers are losing faith in Nintendo as well. The fact of the matter is that Nintendo's risking a lot here, and it would really be in their best interest to throw in the towel right now. If Nintendo had instead announced that they were abandoning the 3DS and moving to iOS yesterday, their stock price would have skyrocketed. Now, it'll be below $10 by October.
What

No

FyreWulff

Gravijah said:

Region locking has nothing to do with piracy protection. The DS was blown wide open though. Everyone and their mom had an R4 card permanently parked inside their DS from what I saw over the past 1-2 years.

Conversely, the 3DS hasn't been blown wide open (yet), so the majority of people still actually have to buy 3DS games to play them.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
BurntPork said:
You do realize you're like a recurring joke here by now, right?

[Nintex]

Cygnus X-1 said:
Q1 2004: they did. Anyway they're not planning to have losses for the entire FY2012. But for the first 6 months: yes (this is really a first!).
I'm not sure if they're able to keep that promise. I can see Sony drop the price on the PS3 by GamesCom since they're in the same boat and between Microsoft's R2D2 and Sony's $199 PS3 the already fading Wii is going to have an even tougher battle. Not to mention that not dropping the prices of the DS line effectively kills it.

Maybe it would help if Nintendo showed some cool new Wii U games september-ish so the public and investors can actually see why they're so excited about the system.

Fredrik said:
I've only had mine for about a month, haven't got myself updated on the regional differences etc. Are there lots of great games in Japan out that haven't got or won't be translated?

Looking back on the past 25 years of video game history... I'd say there will be quite a few. First candidate is Time Travelers for me.

Odd move to give it a timeline. Could come back to bit them in the ass. Still, I appreciate the balsiness and honesty of Iwata.

Vinci

Danish
BurntPork said:
But if it doesn't succeed this holiday and maintain success afterward, investors will force Nintendo to either leave the hardware business or deal with bankruptcy.

Dude, you are continuing your downward spiral into insanity. Nintendo is never leaving the hardware business - it is the damn backbone for how the company functions. If they leave it, it will be their last gasp before completely closure. And they are nowhere near bankruptcy. It would take at least two generations equivalent to what Sony experienced this one to put them anywhere near the threat of it. They have zero debt and massive piles of cash.

The entire company is riding on this, and the situation is making itself worse because customers are losing faith in Nintendo as well.

Mainstream customers are hardly aware this whole drama is even playing out, you dimwit. All they'll know is that the 3DS is $169. At that point, they'll consider whether there's anything they want to play on it worth purchasing it or not. You and the other drama majors need to chill out: This is having next to zero effect on the mainstream audience.

The fact of the matter is that Nintendo's risking a lot here, and it would really be in their best interest to throw in the towel right now. If Nintendo had instead announced that they were abandoning the 3DS and moving to iOS yesterday, their stock price would have skyrocketed.

If this were to happen, I hope everyone on this board is happy with nothing but iOS level titles. 'Cause that's all you'd ever be getting.

For what it's worth, that isn't happening - the traditional gaming industry still brings in WAY too much revenue for it to be abandoned entirely.

Seriously. Chill. Damn.

I find it very hard to not be skeptical about the 3DS.

The thing that deters me from Nintendo hardware these days hasn't change. They usually can only vouch for nintendo games. While that may be enough for some, it isn't for me.

I don't really know what should I expect for a 3rd party push from nintendo. More so when it comes to american developers. It has come to the point that i don't even expect american developed games to be prominent on Nintendo system.

One could argue that the system is not for me. That's a fair statement. Lets see if that logic keeps working out for them.

This is going to be a an interesting holiday for nintendo.

BurntPork

Banned
wsippel said:
No sane investor wants them to move to smartphones. There's simply no money to be made there. It's all bullshit. People point at Angry Birds, but look beyond the hype: there's no revenue. It's a complete joke to a multi billion dollar company. And you still need to get incredibly lucky to make any money at all on that junkyard some people lovingly call AppStore. It only benefits a single company, and that's Apple.
Investors are idiots, remember? And their stock went up when that dumb Pokemon rhythm card-game crap for iOS was announced.

ksamedi

BurntPork said:

You are horribly misguided, really. A company doesn't go down overnight, especially not Nintendo. They have zero dept, a lot of cash in the bank and a huge potential to make profit. What makes you believe they will suddenly go bankrupt or something.

Cygnus X-1

Gravijah said:

I think that region locking has the effect to limit the damage a single pirate can do with a single copy of the game. Without region-locking, it is possible with one copy of the game to supply all the illegal copies of the game in the entire world. With cartdidge-based systems, this wasn't really a problem, because copying a cartridge required another cartridge, and they were expensive. Copying a Flash Card is very cheap, though.

Vinci

Danish
Jocchan said:
And their success translated into such a huge support by Western third parties.

Also, wow at BurntPork.

No, what I'm saying is: "What the fuck do Western 3rd parties know? They've missed out on the two biggest systems this generation." So yes, I take their opinions on where things are headed or how the industry will shift less seriously than farnham's at this point.

Well, maybe not that badly. But still, they're lowly ranked in my favored list of prognosticators.

orioto

Good Art™
[Nintex] said:
This can only end two ways, Nintendo will set their brightest and best marketing minds to work to create the biggest short term comeback the videogame world has ever seen instantly turning Iwata into the 'hero' once again. Or they still can't convince consumers to pick up the 3DS during the summer and autumn in which case Iwata's position becomes more vulnerable and we get another round of 'Apple ftw' articles.

I consider Iwata one of the smartest CEO's in the gaming biz but his recent actions are questionable. Between the GDC "iOS market devalues games" speech, "We passed on Kinect" comment, their next 'big things' like the Vitality Sensor in limbo or not performing according to expectations, Nintendo's position isn't as strong as it was.

Yeah, i always said that and i will continue. Nintendo should focus on games. In the end, their actual problems are all linked to hardware decisions and the strategy to focus on hardware concepts more than games. And they have a clear lack in software power. They should heavily invest in that part of the market.

I made a thread about that but i got only Nintendo fanboy who refused to discuss. The whole "innovation comes from the hardware" talk from Nintendo is bullshit. Yes it allowed them to steal the market with NDS and WII, cause it was the good time and there was a lack of innovations, but in the end, the problem is still the same. Now it's harder to just come with a unique and exciting idea, so their concept don't sell well (and the wiiu's concept is a catastrophe incoming). That would be ok if they had the soft power to backup that, but look at the current situation.. It's so clear... Nothing is ready, they have to launch with remakes and no groundbreaking new iterations of their big ips. WiiU is coming in a year or so and the games are just at the beginning of their dev.. It will be the exact same situation.

But oh yeah, you can't never ever innovate with only a game right, Miyamoto said so. Well cut the hardware crap and focus on games only just to see, forget any console gimmick, and you'll see it's probably possible to make great and innovative games by game design only... Nintendo should just return to serious business if they want to survive, cause the "cool gimmick for mainstream" race is out of their hand for now.

Sennorin

Banned
What does it mean when people post "4 months won´t be enough"? Do they mean that 3DS´s sales won´t pick up after the price cut has come into effect?

I´m sure that Nintendo´s nextgen portable will do well at 169 Euro/Dollar. That will convince a lot of the people who for now said "250 for OoT-remake is too much". It will also convince a lot of the mainstream crowd that will see the small price difference to the old NDS. And starting with Mario Kart, followed up with Mario 3D Land, there can be almost no doubt that everything´s going to be alright.

On another note, this note of Iwata´s once again shows what a great company leader he is. Make me feel a lot of sympathy for him.

jett

D-Member
Quote my tag if you want I don't give a fuck. 3DS is the first victim of a new portable market, I don't see it being "resurrected". Vita is just as fucked, unless a miracle happens.

FyreWulff

BurntPork said:

10$ a share is still higher than they were in the late N64/GameCube days.

They also have 5-6$ billion dollars in the bank and zero debt. Why the fuck would they declare bankruptcy when they're not bankrupt?

To even come close to bankruptcy they'd have to like, un-sell every DS, Wii, GBA, and 3DS they've ever sold.

Clunker

Vinci said:
What's truly insane... is that the 3D is the only feature of the ones the system has that cannot be showcased in commercials or traditional advertising. And yet it's what they're staking its success on. How stupid is this?
It's been really strange to see Nintendo -- who knocked it out of the park two times in a row with how it handled the DS and the Wii -- completely bungle, muddle, and half-ass their messaging on those systems' successors. They had crystal clear, laser-like precision with how they positioned and marketed the magical dual-screen touchscreen handheld (Brain Age! Nintendogs!) and the revolutionary motion-controlled console (Wii Sports! Wii Fit!), but the 3DS as of yet has no real identity of its own, or at least one that you can sum up quick and clear -- it fails the elevator pitch test. And granted, WiiU is still a ways off, but their confusing, awkward E3 reveal left more questions than answers.

I can't really grasp why they're dropping the ball in terms of marketing these products. Software quality questions aside ... though honestly, I think a large part of it is because there is no singular piece of software that acts as a proof of concept for why people need to buy the 3DS, and acts as a guiding light for their marketing. Nintendo indicated that they thought the AR Games and Face Raiders would do that, but if they sincerely believed that (and weren't just using that as a stall and deflect answer), then I fear they're really losing their way.

Gravijah

Cygnus X-1 said:
I think that region locking has the effect to limit the damage a single pirate can do with a single copy of the game. Without region-locking, it is possible with one copy of the game to supply all the illegal copies of the game in the entire world. With cartdidge-based systems, this wasn't really a problem, because copying a cartridge required another cartridge, and they were expensive. Copying a Flash Card is very cheap, though.

I don't think I really follow what you're saying. Besides, when the 3DS is inevitably hacked, one of the first things that will be removed is region locking.

Kato

The new UK commercial posted earlier in this speed thread is how it should be done from day one. But then again. New price, new commercial. Better late then never. The commercial is awesome in making it clear that the 3DS is something new and a generation up from the "old" DS-line.

BurntPork said:

Investors would force bankruptcy? If Nintendo declares bankruptcy then all the shares owned by investors would become worthless. That's the absolute worst thing that can happen to an investor in any company.

Cygnus X-1

[Nintex] said:
I'm not sure if they're able to keep that promise. I can see Sony drop the price on the PS3 by GamesCom since they're in the same boat and between Microsoft's R2D2 and Sony's $199 PS3 the already fading Wii is going to have an even tougher battle. Not to mention that not dropping the prices of the DS line effectively kills it.

Maybe it would help if Nintendo showed some cool new Wii U games september-ish so the public and investors can actually see why they're so excited about the system.

It's strange to say, but Wii's going fine outside Japan. Considering it's a 5 years-old system. Release schedule for Europe is enough packed. More casual-oriented in the States, but still not catastrophic. Japan anyway does not make such a difference for Nintendo at this point, even if it's the only place without a yen-other currency exchange.

Duxxy3

When they do ads showing off the 3D they also need to back that up a bit and show that the 3D can easily be turned off without effecting the enjoyment of them game. I know it's part of the name but if the system is a success it won't be because of the 3D, it will be in spite of it.

Cygnus X-1

Lijik said:
Any word on if the red 3DS will ever come stateside?
Won't be purchasing one unless it does.

No. But this would be one of the nice flanking measures I was talking about. I'm quite surprised Nintendo is so conservative with colors, considering instead that PSP got all the rainbow :lol

Vinci

Danish
orioto said:
I made a thread about that but i got only Nintendo fanboy who refused to discuss.

Dude, I respect you as an artist, but that thread? I read it. You weren't flamed by Nintendo fanboys, you were simply out-argued. Their arguments simply made more sense than yours.

As for innovation: It's what allows Nintendo to keep its hardware costs down and the price of its systems as low as possible while still netting the company a healthy profit. This is called Manufacturing 101. This is what everyone should do when they produce hardware for a living. And I think you'll find that both Sony and MS will have learned that lesson in time for next-gen.

BurntPork Hibiki
street-fighter-4-character-select-screen-big.jpg

BurntPork

Banned
Kato said:
The new UK commercial posted earlier in this speed thread is how it should be done from day one. But then again. New price, new commercial. Better late then never. The commercial is awesome in making it clear that the 3DS is something new and a generation up from the "old" DS-line.
If NoA follows suit, it may be able to stabilize at 200k per month, which will keep it alive. They lost so many possible sales last month, though...

Top Bottom