• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Iwata interviews Wii development team

fresquito

Nash said:
Again that's hampered by the way WFC on the DS works, you have to first go online during a set period to receive anything. A lot of items would go completely unnoticed by most people even if they were being released regularly.

The fact they can be sent on Wii without the player having to do anything and always be delivered will encourage Nintendo and other developers to do it more I think.
Yeah, I understand the limitations of DS, I'm just pointing how they were telling us the goods from ACWW being online, how they would send us special items, and you see the results. I'm not buying this WiiConnect24 thingie until I see it. It's got great potential, but potential isn't everything.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
fresquito said:
Yeah, I understand the limitations of DS, I'm just pointing how they were telling us the goods from ACWW being online, how they would send us special items, and you see the results. I'm not buying this WiiConnect24 thingie until I see it. It's got great potential, but potential isn't everything.

Yeah I'm hoping it's one of the main focuses of the Wednesday newsfest.

WiiConnect24 is potentially the most interesting feature of all 3 consoles, I hope they take advantage of it's potential.

chadums90

drohne said:
what's the value of low power consumption in a console, and what could conceivably be the point of this wii connect 24 business? did they really decide on a gamecube redux before they'd decided on an unusual controller? very strange.

Do you live alone and pay your electricity bill? I think if you did you'd understand the allure of low power consumption...

Juice

All I know is that electricity is ****ing the cheapest bill our house pays every month. It usually comes out to like $12 between five power hungry guys. We have like 20 game consoles plugged in and 10 of them idling at any given time.

POWER CONSUMPTION IS NOT MY CONCERN, NINTENDO.

Why must they be so concerned with the Japanese user's need? It's not like this will let them dominate Japan and break every sales record in the book, basically making more money off Japan this gen than worldwide last gen.

oh wait...

yilmazz

I have to pay 35 Euro every month for the damn electricity and that in a 2 person household and I don't even have many devices plugged in.. so every new device with less power consumption is very welcome.

Furoba

Juice said:
All I know is that electricity is ****ing the cheapest bill our house pays every month. It usually comes out to like $12 between five power hungry guys. We have like 20 game consoles plugged in and 10 of them idling at any given time.

Why must they be so concerned with the Japanese user's need? It's not like this will let them dominate Japan and break every sales record in the book, basically making more money off Japan this gen than worldwide last gen.

oh wait...

Think of the rain forest!

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
There was this comparison that circulated on the web few months ago, showing the average delta between Wii and x360 consumption over a year was 40€ (almost the price of a (wii) game)

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
too much speculation about wiiconnect24 in here - we have no idea how it works....its very interesting, but I wonder how it works in conjuction with actual games, which require a disc in the drive to run and load etc. I think some people may be filling in the gaps with a bit too much conjecture.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
Furoba said:
p2.jpg

Looks so small. :D
thatsracist.gif

Polari

Juice said:

oh wait...

In a 4 person household we've got up to $250 so... yeah.

Juice said:

oh wait...
When dealing with millions of consoles, 1 Watt difference could be a difference of life and death.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
Is there supposed to be more of the interview today as well?

I think vol2 is up. If someone can unbabelfish it, it would be much appreciated:
Iwata Next, it keeps asking concerning the mechanism and design of Wii.
Please teach high book, you took charge what.

High book I took charge of the substance of Wii and the mechanism relationship of the controller.
Speaking concretely, those which have gone in the substance,
Metal part and connector of drive and sealed case etc,
It becomes such ones and the plastic part of the wrapping.
High book You took charge of the structural design of the part discernibly other than the baseplate.

Iwata
When you compare with the game machine which now is announced with society,
You think that it is prominent very, as for Wii as a shape.
First, it is small preponderantly. You make talk concerning this point?

High book Don't you think? so is. As said, “it is small”,
You think that it is one of the big merits which Wii has.
When it develops, as for concrete goal,
“The case of DVD, it was the capacity equivalent to 2 and 3”.
This was the command which from the president was said to direct 々, it is, but (laughing).

Iwata Actually, stacking the case of DVD, showing,
“We would like to make this extent, it is, don't you think?” with you say, the better seed (laughing).
First when hearing, the open [re] increase it is was?

High book Well, rather than saying, that the [a] it is cut off, it came to an end to the way, (laughing).
As for time of development beginning me,
“The lever it is what it is necessary to make small kana”
A little, however you think it is in doubt,
As development advances, the intention knowing.
In other words, the machine, Wii as much as possible
In around the television of living,
When in it is proper “the existence which is not conspicuous”, you could understand, it is.
Around the television, way everyone you know well,
The various AV equipment are to crowd.
Because as for the game cube, the controller was wired
When playing, it means naturally, to have before.
However, Wii is the wireless and,
From the nature of the controller which has the function of pointing device,
It does not have putting the substance in the vicinity of the television and the [te] is not good, it is.
So when it does, with the reason which physically, the space is limited the shank.
As for being thought, the small space of side of the television,
Or the opening on the AV equipment which lines up into the rack.
It is not settled in such space and as for the [te] with the notion that where it does not become,
This somehow does not actualize and the [te] does not become, that it is the case that it is felt.
With that, well, after all “equivalent of 2 DVD cases” was unreasonable, it is, but
Somehow “DVD3 as for thickness of amount” it was possible to clear, (laughing).

Iwata
You proposing by yourself, is, but
It is not the hurdle which clears simply don't you think?.
Please teach the place and the like where you suffer hardship.

High book As for the place where especially you suffer hardship, with drive the shank.
When the space which it cuts on the wrapping and the other device is considered,
The DVD case and drive are not designated as the almost same thickness and the [te] does not become.
This was rather difficult thing.
Furthermore, when it makes thin, problem of strength arises.
Because Wii, how, after all is the amusement item with the high performance,
It does not designate that also the user of the child handles as prerequisite the [te] does not become.
As for the company, especially Nintendo Co.,
In regard to the notion that where just it is possible, it makes difficult to be broken,
There being a very harsh standard inside the company, (laughing).
Because is, the “small bamboo grass” and in order to be compatible “to being broken ill-smelling”
There are no with several degrees, making the prototype and testing, it becomes NG,
In addition administering measure, with the repetition which becomes NG, with it says .......
The result of trial and error, in the form which adds the renforcing plate inside,
Somehow, it could store to the thickness “equivalent of 3 of DVD cases”.

Iwata It does not make small and as for the [te] it does not become, the notion that where and,
To be broken it does not make difficult and as for the [te] it does not become, as for the notion that where,
It is the proposition which contradicts basically don't you think?.
“It should have made small simply in other things, it is not the case that”
With was there hardship in the part which is said?

High book
Although pursuing that capacity is held down, as for adhering,
It was adoption of drive of slot in type.
Like the game cube, if it makes the type which the cover opens on,
As for several millimeters it was possible to hold down thickness.
Slot in type catches cost and,
Those which are opened physically compared to durability feels concern.
However, there is a problem of the installation features which we explain after all, some time ago.
Putting Wii around the television which does not have the surplus space of today,
Actually when of thing of the customer who plays is thought,
How to drive the slot in type
Because it can designate taking in and out as the compact,
After all, as for this it was the specification which cannot be removed by any means.
Life style of customer and,
Thinking of that the controller is the wireless
You think that it was the selection which serves to reason.

Iwata Then, next Asida.
Asida took charge of what, please speak first.

Asida It is. As for me, the design of Wii itself and controller,
You took charge of the package and the design etc of logograph in other things.

Iwata As for Asida, from time of super Family Computer
However it is the case that you take charge of the design of the Nintendo Co. hard,
Heart as for the beam place was what with the design of Wii, it is probably will be.

Asida First, when thinking of the design of Wii,
When it keeps inquiring about various opinion concerning hard inside the company,
Some time ago, it was even in story of the high book, but
In any case around everyone and the television
Already, the confusion above this point you do not want, when it is.
That not only size, even in sense of shape.
For example the curved surface being many as for [nintendou] 64 as a shape,
With machine something which the place where you put is limited the shank.
Because is, as for one of big goals,
It did not make the design which it is easy to put the [te] was not to be good.
On the one hand, being many with opinion concerning the game cube
After all, this was something which “design of the toy” is.
By the fact that of course, that being conscious,
The nintendo co. hard directly from time of the super Family Computer,
Vis-a-vis the notion that where “it is the toy”,
It was designed very intentionally, it is.
Is not the case that you ignored design as AV equipment, but
If anything rather than the toy
Weight was made design as an amusement.
However, because now also age layer of the user has changed,
The axis of design as an axis and AV equipment of design as the toy
While looking at both balance, it did not keep making, as for the [te] it thought, that it does not become, it is.

Iwata Don't you think?, there are two propositions which contradict even there.

Asida Don't you think? so is.
When it becomes the too toy, it does not adapt around the television.
When it becomes the AV equipment over, funny there is no seeing as a design of amusement.
Among such, in order even in a little wide user for you to use
The keyword which comes out was “the design which is not disliked”.
Rather than calling the design which has intense personality,
As for Wii we would like to make the machine which is not disliked from everyone.
Not to be the toy, being the AV equipment, even when without,
Quite like one interior when we would like to do to that is placed it is.
As for one of the things which I did because of that,
It was to form the design team of Wii inside the company.
As for the design of former hard,
When if anything a certain alone designer did on the center, it is.
However, at the time of the designing Wii,
Gathering the designer whose inside the company is young,
We had decided to suck up various opinions.
Of course, that when you say whether current shape completed easily with that,
So, it is the case that is not but .......

Iwata When keeping being able to design Wii,
The fact that it has become a turning important point probably is to be what.

Asida As for direction being decided clearly,
When happening to think the combination of the substance and the stand, was.
With also what you say, first, in Wii
“DVD case equivalent of 2 and 3” there was a concrete goal which is said.
When it keeps making the DVD case in goal,
After all, basic design of the substance becomes the rectangular parallelepiped, it is with the shank.
However, if only the rectangular parallelepiped is designed by any means,
It reaches the limits, it is. Because it is that, rectangular parallelepiped, (laughing).
Among such, the young designers making the stand,
That and by the fact that the substance is combined
The substance even with the rectangular parallelepiped, it was found that you can display various new shapes, it is.

Iwata When the design [tsu] [te] of Wii, there is a stand, it is unless with,
Method of being visible is different completely, it is, don't you think?.

Asida It is. Of course with also just the substance,
Vertical ranging, horizontal ranging and the both putting is possible, but
By combining with the stand,
It seems that the substance is buried in the stand
So far, method of being visible which is not is done, it is, don't you think?.
To tell the truth, as for the design to which this, stand and the substance become united being possible
It was several weeks ago when, Wii is announced with E3 it is.

Iwata When this design [purezen] being done, I have remembered thing, but
Well, when you say simply, it was one shot OK, don't you think??

Asida It is, (laughing).
With that, after that being announced by the world directly with E3.

With that, I who made content was surprised.

All (Laughing)

High book The design [tsu] [te] of the design and outside inside as for the fact that you say
In a manner of speaking cutting, because it is something which it cannot separate,
Spending long time, it exchanged, however it is,
You not to have told the fact that it announces in advance, the [tsu] [te] (laughing).

Asida
Well, that, [ho] it is with, it does not inhale, (laughing).
Me it is so far and directly the [tsu] does the high book and, does in the [yo] and the [ru] it is.
So, just that time, before the announcing completely there was no time when you consult the high book.

High book Of course, shape and generally capacity of the basic substance,
In regard to the structural design which accompanies that
Discussing in advance, awfully consensus coming off, however it increased, don't you think?.
To make that, passing, while having heard, because suddenly it is announcement in the world, .......

All (Laughing)

BorkBork

Anyone? This one seems to be a bit easier than the first volume but it's still sorta weird.

dock

courtesy of http://gonintendo.com/?p=5441
“The Design That Nobody Hates”

Mr.Takamoto is in charge of the structure of Wii console and Wiimote. Wii’s smallness — “the size of three DVD cases” — is one of the great feature of Wii console. Actually, Mr.Iwata was stacking three DVD cases, and said “I want Wii to be small like this”. Mr.Takamoto got bewildered rather than amazed. At first, he couldn’t understand why he have to make Wii such a small machine, but he was getting it gradually. Wii should be “unobtrusive presence” in living room. There are a lot of audio-video equipments around the TV, and Wii have to set near the TV because of the pointing device of Wiimote. Spaces between TV and AV equipments are very limited, so he understood that Wii have to be small. “The size of 2 DVD cases” was impossible, but they achieved “the size of 3 DVD cases”.

Mr.Takamoto told that The hardest thing was disc drive, which have to be almost the same width of one DVD case. If disc drive became thinner, it became more breakable. There are a lot of earlier age users, so Nintendo have a very strict standard. After a lot of trials and errors, they finally got it by internal reinforcing pad.

He also told that they strained at using slot-in drive. If they decided to use GameCube-like disc drive (opening the top to change discs), the width of the drive could be thinner, the cost could be cheaper, and the decay durability be better. But, as he said before, the space near TV is very limited, so they thought that Wii-users feel more comfortable by using slot-in for changeing discs.

Mr.Ashida is in charge of the design of the Wii console, the Wiimote, the package and the logo. They don’t want to make it like a mad woman’s breakfast around the TV. Not only the matter of size but also shape. Nintendo64 had a lot of curves in its shape, so it was difficult to find the place to set it. On the other hand, the design of GameCube was “the design of toy”. From SNES, the designs of Nintendo’s console was like a toy, and this was intentional attempt. But the average of the ages of users has changed, he feels that the balance between the “toy-like” design and the “AV-equipment-like” design is very important. The keywords are, “the design that nobody hates”. Not a toy, not a AV equipment, they want Wii to be a kind of interior accessories. Mr.Ashida decided to form Wii-design team. The designs of Nintendo console used to pruduced by one designer, but this time, he consulted widely with young designers inside Nintendo.

The turing point was the idea of the stand. Young desiner produced the Wii’s stand, and it allows representing new shape by combine Wii with it. A few weeks before E3(2005), Mr.Ashida and his team finishd this design. At the first presentation to Mr. Iwata, they got the go-ahead. Then, the design was made in public at E3, and Mr.Ashida was very, very surprized because he
didn’t know that the design was to be displayed at E3 2005.

bengraven

I'm not excited about the Wii at all...but for some reason, I had a dream that I owned one and was playing it with my casual-gamer family.

"It's got like every Nintendo game INSIDE IT". Lame dreams...

I remember when I was a kid I wasn't allowed to keep my NES and N64 in the living room because they wouldn't fit in the unit with the VHS in, and had to be all over the floor. So I can see where they're coming from with this small size stuff. Surprised it seems to have been such a huge inportance to them though

BorkBork

TheGreatDave said:
I remember when I was a kid I wasn't allowed to keep my NES and N64 in the living room because they wouldn't fit in the unit with the VHS in, and had to be all over the floor. So I can see where they're coming from with this small size stuff. Surprised it seems to have been such a huge inportance to them though

All these crucial elements for the Wii design are totally out of left field. From power consumption to small form factor, Nintendo certainly is heading through uncharted territory.

cvxfreak

Chris Remo said:
In all honesty I really don't see what makes WiiConnect24 such a big deal. Reggie's examples are really dumb, and would not require an always on connection AT ALL. That said, Reggie is frequently off-base when it comes to actual gameplay matters. Still, I haven't really heard many awesome examples from anyone else either in terms of stuff that couldn't be done with a regular service like Xbox Live.

Yeah, I wouldn't really use Reggie as the authority on actual games. He mentioned that Pokemon XD wasn't a sequel to Colosseum and a real Pokemon RPG. Look how that turned out.

Chris Remo said:
In all honesty I really don't see what makes WiiConnect24 such a big deal.
That's because they have very deliberately up until now avoided talking specifics. In all likelihood, that's gonna be the focus of the events a week from now (besides price/date of course).

Also, that's two years in a row that Nintendo showed something major at E3 without telling the people who made it -- Aonuma wasn't told the Zelda trailer would go up in 2004, and the Revolution box was shown a year later without the knowledge of Mister Salt Field Crane Group Location Army or whatever Babelfish says his name is.

BorkBork

WHAT? you mean their names AREN'T Salt Field or High Book? :lol

Seriously, I really hope there is something special coming out about WiiConnect 24. There's a lot of potential there that could be tapped.

maxmars

BorkBork said:
Seriously, I really hope there is something special coming out about WiiConnect 24. There's a lot of potential there that could be tapped.

I wish it would transform your Wii into a "resort" on the Nintendo WFC. E.g. you create levels and items for games and people come visiting your resort to enjoy / interact with them.

GDGF

Soothsayer
BorkBork said:
WHAT? you mean their names AREN'T Salt Field or High Book? :lol

WiiConnect 24 is the big one in my opinion. I'm reminded of that old quote from the Square/Enix guy shortly after the Revolution was announced about it being 'not just a new game system, but an entirely new platform', or some such. Well, SE is doing Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles Wii, and knowing what little we do know about the specifics of WC24...

Seems to me that FF:CCWii, Animal Crossing Wii, and (possibly) Disaster: Day of Crisis are going to be the games that Nintendo uses to show what the service is all about. Hopefully at the upcoming Wii-Cons.

ethelred

GDGF said:
WiiConnect 24 is the big one in my opinion. I'm reminded of that old quote from the Square/Enix guy shortly after the Revolution was announced about it being 'not just a new game system, but an entirely new platform', or some such. Well, SE is doing Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles Wii, and knowing what little we do know about the specifics of WC24...

Seems to me that FF:CCWii, Animal Crossing Wii, and (possibly) Disaster: Day of Crisis are going to be the games that Nintendo uses to show what the service is all about. Hopefully at the upcoming Wii-Cons.

Don't forget Friends of Mana and Contact 2.

GDGF

Soothsayer
ethelred said:
Don't forget Friends of Mana and Contact 2.

Was Friends of Mana confirmed as a Wii project? If so, then I say hellz yeah. And yeah, a Mana game would be perfect for WC24 type features.

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
The instant power-on alone is worth the 'crappy' graphics. Getting a game to start these days is such a ****ing chore sometimes. Logos, loading times, tutorials, and Intros reallys start to bug me after a while.

I'm curious to see if the remote remains and important part of the system 2-5 years from now. I can totally picture a scenario where the price, vc, and cheap dev platform becomes the sole reason for its sucess.

The thing I'm hoping for about the always on thing (and which Nintendo seems to be strongly suggesting) is the fast start-up times.

First, I would hope games start up much faster since the console is always on. It makes it much more casual to play games, and encourages just some quick plays before school or work or something.

Second, I believe they mentioned how they want to incorporate a DS-like sleep mode into this. It would be great if you could just put a game into sleep mode and come back to it the next day in just seconds, exactly where you left off.

loosus

Banned
Doc Holliday said:
The instant power-on alone is worth the 'crappy' graphics. Getting a game to start these days is such a ****ing chore sometimes. Logos, loading times, tutorials, and Intros reallys start to bug me after a while.
Well, those aren't going away.

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
Doc Holliday said:

I'm curious to see if the remote remains and important part of the system 2-5 years from now. I can totally picture a scenario where the price, vc, and cheap dev platform becomes the sole reason for its sucess.

I could picture that also, but I think the Wiimote is a great way for them to introduce some instant freshness into the machine. Since it doesn't really have new graphics, there would be little left to generate buzz or curiosity towards any console, so that's where a radical new interface comes in handy. Also it is crucial to their new strategy of attracting non-gamers who don't want to be managing classic controllers, and even some "hardcore" genres will benefit from it, so in the end the remote fits in perfectly with the idea. But the classic aspect and pricing structure will be a huge plus for a lot of people, no doubt about it.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
Kurashima said:
Second, I believe they mentioned how they want to incorporate a DS-like sleep mode into this. It would be great if you could just put a game into sleep mode and come back to it the next day in just seconds, exactly where you left off.

Yeah, I'm hoping to see this as well. It fits with the whole TV remote pick-up-and-play concept, I think the side-effect of WiiConnect24 may be a proper sleep-mode. And that's another reason for the low power-consumption mode.

Chittagong

Gold Member
p2.jpg

"Lol, so basically we just sticked more or less the stuff as in our previous console into that box. Watch it sell like a mofo anyway. Clever, eh? "

Kangu

Banned
chadums90 said:
Do you live alone and pay your electricity bill? I think if you did you'd understand the allure of low power consumption...

Games consoles are not refrigerators. Do you live alone and pay your own bills?

Top Bottom