• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Iwata on third parties, hundreds of inquiries since GDC about Nintendo Web Framework

Chindogg

As i said, the evidence is in the games, if the WiiU was clearly more powerful than PS3/360 we would see that.

Launch. Software.

We haven't even seen Nintendo's first big graphical foray into HD yet with Pikmin 3. Seriously I'm not sure if you're trolling or just dense as hell.

B.O.O.M

That's an odd statement about how the wiiU is underpowered. It is what it is. How are you going to change it especially with ps4/820 around the corner? I guess clever marketing could help

Nintendo, I love you, but your system came out last November not this summer. It needs software now. Anything. Little downloadable things. Old titles. Experimental things. Throw us current owners a bone here.

Burai

shitonmychest57
Nintendo isn't exactly putting out a new console zelda every year.

No, you're right. They just put out two New Super Mario Bros within six months of each other with a further expansion to come this summer, a new Pokemon every year, a new Mario RPG every year, a new Professor Layton every year, a new Mario sports game every year, etc.

AOC83

Banned
Launch. Software.

We haven't even seen Nintendo's first big graphical foray into HD yet with Pikmin 3. Seriously I'm not sure if you're trolling or just dense as hell.

Irrelevant. If a hardware has clearly more power it´s going to be visible from day 1.
And i have seen enough of Pikmin 3 to determine that it´s at best mediocre current gen graphics.

All the answers we need are in the games. And they have 360/PS3 graphics.

This is literally a terrible post. Looking at launch title ports as proof of a system's power...lol

No, you're right. They just put out two New Super Mario Bros within six months of each other with a further expansion to come this summer, a new Pokemon every year, a new Mario RPG every year, a new Professor Layton every year, a new Mario sports game every year, etc.

Are you just making things up? Pokemon isn't yearly. Mario RPGs aren't yearly. Layton isn't even a Nintendo game and Mario Sports definitely aren't yearly either

big youth

Cool, so the third parties currently shunning the platform will come on board when and if Nintendo gets the installed base to a high enough level. Worked great for Wii!

This is the part that stood out to me as well. I wonder what was actually said before translation. I think the problem is games are budgeted and planned years in advance, so even if some 3rd parties have great success on Wii U in 2014, we'd only see more support a year or two later...and that's going with Iwata's assumption that non participating devs would jump into the fray...which, like you said, didn't happen with Wii, even as it was breaking all kinds of records.

JordanN

Banned
They looked like a new generation games compared to PS2 and Xbox.
Yup.
Kameo = can't be done on last gen hardware.
J6aMdRb.jpg

Irrelevant. If a hardware has clearly more power it´s going to be visible from day 1.
And i have seen enough of Pikmin 3 to determine that it´s at best mediocre current gen graphics.
Do you think we will see games at E3 that look as good as games like god of war and uncharted?

Without EA and Activision Nintendo would basically die- they'd have to rely solely on their 1st party output. Smaller devs are great, but they won't move systems IMHO.
R U serious? I propose that unlike Sony or Microsoft, Nintendo could comfortably survive on their alone. Nintendo DOES NOT NEED THIRD PARTY DEVELOPERS. Therein lies the quandry.

B.O.O.M

Or just good games.

I am not sure what the connection between being underpowered and good games. The system will (I'm sure even now has) good games. Power is a different issue, which was what I was talking about. I mean people aren't saying it's underpowered compared to ps360, just compared to the ps4/720. It's not a misunderstanding unless Iwata thinks youtube comments by trolls on how wiiu is weaker than the current gen is the issue

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
As i said, the evidence is in the games, if the WiiU was clearly more powerful than PS3/360 we would see it.

Runner 2, Trine 2 and NFS MW U have all showed significant improvements over the PS360 versions of the same games. And of course, that's even before taking into account that the Wii U games are all wirelessly rendering a second image at the same time with zero lag.

Nibel

He wants to fix this by creating a situation in which third parties not currently actively supporting Wii U will regret that decision once third parties that did support it start to produce hits on the system.

That sounds like some kind of ninja stuff :lol

Wow a few better textures and slightly better framerate in a game that was 6 month longer in development than the other versions.
I have yet to see a WiiU game that is on the graphical level of Uncharted, God of War, Killzone, Halo 4 and others though.

Yeah, the last games of these franchises you've mentioned were good and performed well on the market because those graphics

Chindogg

NSMBW was in 2009, Pokemon Black and White was in 2010 (B&W2 is basically something to tide over people til X&Y), Paper Mario Sticker Star isn't a RPG, so the last "Mario RPG" was in 2010, Layton's a Level 5 game but I'll let it slide, Mario Tennis and Golf are the first back to back sports games since 2010.

Not exactly CoD levels of cranking franchises out every year. Can we please end the bullshit?

AOC83

Banned
Yeah, the last games of these franchises you've mentioned were good and performed well on the market because those graphics

I didn´t know we were discussing sales here but i´m pretty confident at least some of them (Halo 4, UC 3) did fine.

flippedb

Banned
This thread got me a new member on Ignore List :D

Interesting things Iwata is saying. I can't wait to see Nintendo enter their Beast Mode with Wii U, as they did with 3DS. It's going to be glorious.

Well that's me shown! Nintendo are clearly a bastion of original, fresh ideas.

Why don't you go search the eShop for titles like Pushmo, Dillon's Rolling Western, HarmoKnight, and some of the other titles floating around. It only makes sense that Nintendo is creatively bankrupt when they have no new IPs to show for their new console after six months. I'm sure we're all disappointed having found out every project under development by Nintendo and their subsidiaries for the next five years are nothing but sequels. Not just the "Punch Out" or "Sin and Punishment" or "Kid Icarus" sequels, but the ugly Mario games. Two Mario games is way too many, forget their play style, perspective and sales.

AOC83

Banned
Trolling much? Or because it isn't the obligatory FPS?

The graphics are about on par with the 5 year old GTA IV, and yes they look awful. We´ve seen much much better looking open world games years ago (Red Dead Redemption and Infamous for example).

Chindogg

I am not sure what the connection between being underpowered and good games. The system will (I'm sure even now has) good games. Power is a different issue, which was what I was talking about. I mean people aren't saying it's underpowered compared to ps360, just compared to the ps4/720. It's not a misunderstanding unless Iwata thinks youtube comments by trolls on how wiiu is weaker than the current gen is the issue

If Nintendo releases a strong first party game showing off the technical capabilities of the console, it'll quell the stupid arguments about its power or lack thereof.

AniHawk

they don't make a new mario rpg every year, but the two franchises that fall into that category play nothing like each other.

if activision had call of duty: real-time strategy game franchise, call of duty: first-person shooter, and call of duty: third-person stealth game, and rotated the franchises so you only got one every three years or so, that would be more accurate to what nintendo does. there would probably be less complaining too.

BD1

Banned
I'm convinced, at this point, that Nintendo doesn't really have faith in the viability of the AAA-publisher model, and is all in on cultivating the indie scene.

ugoo18

NSMB (Once a gen)
NSLB (DLC, i suppose no other dev has ever put out DLC for a game they released. Shame on Nintendo for putting out DLC)

Pokemon (Yes the first ever 3D Pokemon, nothing but a cheap sequel and a yearly one as well)

Mario RPG every Year (Paper Mario and Mario and Luigi... yep every single year these 2 are pumped out, even though you know Paper Mario was announced in 2011 and the last Paper Mario was in 2007 and the last Mario & Luigi came out in 2005. Yeah every year alright, id love to know how long a year is in your world).

Professor Layton every year (As far as i know this is Level 5's IP which Nintendo publishes rather than develops).

Chindogg

The game ran like shit, had constant clipping and aliasing issues. It looked like a slightly prettier Xbox 1 game in action.

I'm convinced, at this point, that Nintendo doesn't really have faith in the viability of the AAA-publisher model, and is all in on cultivating the indie scene.

I've been wondering that myself. They seem to really be pushing at being the console for indies. It also helps with Miyamoto's new role of working on smaller niche projects.

Chindogg

They probably should have done that launch.

Can't argue against that. It was a terrible miscalculation to trust 3rd parties with providing decent ports of games that weren't 8-10 months old and could be purchased for half the price. They should have been selfish and just dumped their best work all within the first three months of launch.

B.O.O.M

If Nintendo releases a strong first party game showing off the technical capabilities of the console, it'll quell the stupid arguments about its power or lack thereof.

Do you honestly believe that once the PS4/720 titles come out the wiiu will look favorable in comparison? The system will definitely create games that will set it apart from current gen...but the underpowered impressions are not going to go away with two much more powerful systems about to be launched. Constant comparisons will be made and it's a choice Nintendo themselves made. Like I said it is what it is. It's not a misunderstanding

Chindogg

Denial doesn't make the truth go away. It was prettier but ultimately nothing mindblowing.

Do you honestly believe that once the PS4/720 titles come out the wiiu will look favorable in comparison? The system will definitely create games that will set it apart from current gen...but the underpowered impressions are not going to go away with two much more powerful systems about to be launched. Constant comparisons will be made and it's a choice Nintendo themselves made. Like I said it is what it is. It's not a misunderstanding

When you put it in that perspective, I'll have to agree with you. At this point Nintendo probably should brush aside the power issue and try to focus on creating the best user experience it can. It worked for Apple, it could work for them.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking

You make it sound like they had a choice in the matter.

Iwata is aware of the fact that many people hold the belief that Wii U is underpowered

The WiiU is severely underpowered.

He wants to fix this by creating a situation in which third parties not currently actively supporting Wii U will regret that decision once third parties that did support it start to produce hits on the system.

Ahahahahahahha.

The graphics are about on par with the 5 year old GTA IV, and yes they look awful. We´ve seen much much better looking open world games years ago (Red Dead Redemption and Infamous for example).
Dude you better play through the game before making such definitive statements.

AOC83

Banned
Can't argue against that. It was a terrible miscalculation to trust 3rd parties with providing decent ports of games that weren't 8-10 months old and could be purchased for half the price. They should have been selfish and just dumped their best work all within the first three months of launch.

It is a stupid idea anyway. Ports don´t sell a system. You need high quality exclusives for that from day 1.

What do you mean by favorable? I know last gen alot of Wii games were criticized heavily for graphics for reviews due to ps360 looking that much better. I say we dont see much of that this time around.

Top Bottom