• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Iwata on third parties, hundreds of inquiries since GDC about Nintendo Web Framework

big youth

I'm convinced, at this point, that Nintendo doesn't really have faith in the viability of the AAA-publisher model, and is all in on cultivating the indie scene.

I see the cultivating of an indie scene as a move of desperation to help fill out a lineup that will continue to be barren.

Nintendo is going to successfully support Wii U by releasing more games than ever before, making more partnerships (SMTxFE is allegedly just the beginning), and by flexing their increased publisher power (B2, W101, LEGO, Rayman, NG3, Just Dance, etc). The potential profit is ridiculous. HD remakes and collections like Wind Waker are further efforts to fill out the lineup and make some quick cash.

Burai

shitonmychest57
Are you just making things up? Pokemon isn't yearly. Mario RPGs aren't yearly. Layton isn't even a Nintendo game and Mario Sports definitely aren't yearly either

2009 - Pokemon Platinum
2010 - Pokemon HeartGold/SoulSilver
2011 - Pokemon Black/White
2012 - Pokemone Black/White 2
2013 - Pokemon X/Y

1999 - Mario Golf N64 + GBC
2000 - Mario Tennis N64
2001 - Mario Tennis GBC
2002 - Nothing
2003 - Mario Golf GC
2004 - Mario Golf GBA + Mario Tennis GC
2005 - Mario Tennis GBA + Mario Strikers + Mario Baseball
2006 - Mario Hoops 3-on-3
2007 - Mario Strikers Charged
2008 - Mario Super Sluggers
2009 - Nothing
2010 - Mario Sports Mix
2011 - Nothing
2012 - Mario Tennis 3DS
2013 - Mario Golf 3DS

Even in those two later "nothing" years, they had Mario & Sonic Olympic games. 2002 is genuinely the only year there hasn't been a Mario sports game since 1998.

Mario RPGs because I can't be bothered typing them up:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Mario_role-playing_games

And Layton is just splitting hairs.

I'm convinced, at this point, that Nintendo doesn't really have faith in the viability of the AAA-publisher model, and is all in on cultivating the indie scene.

I don't blame them, I've long been of the belief that what people are seeing in companies like EA and Capcom having to cut costs in order to make up for losses is going to become more and more common place as new systems are on the market and require even more resources, which is going to exacerbate the mismanagement practiced by many of these larger companies. I also look at the global economy holistically and see how various industries are being impacted and see that an already struggling video games industry is headed towards further problems down the pike.

Wasn't aware it was from a pre-alpha build (I've actually seen it quoted and dissected before so I assumed it was legit).

And I didn't get it from google either but the 4th page of gamefaqs
http://www.gamefaqs.com/xbox360/516505-kameo-elements-of-power/images?page=4

May, 19 2005, not final game, first pre alpha pics:
http://screenshots.teamxbox.com/gallery/1198/Kameo-Elements-of-Power/p5/

FRom the real game:

Picture1329a.jpg

kameo36zl6.jpg

kameo10sr5.jpg

kameo4.jpg

Picture1317a.jpg

IS this possible with xbox1 hardware?

Chindogg

2009 - Pokemon Platinum
2010 - Pokemon HeartGold/SoulSilver
2011 - Pokemon Black/White
2012 - Pokemone Black/White 2
2013 - Pokemon X/Y

1999 - Mario Golf N64 + GBC
2000 - Mario Tennis N64
2001 - Mario Tennis GBC
2002 - Nothing
2003 - Mario Golf GC
2004 - Mario Golf GBA + Mario Tennis GC
2005 - Mario Tennis GBA + Mario Strikers + Mario Baseball
2006 - Mario Hoops 3-on-3
2007 - Mario Strikers Charged
2008 - Mario Super Sluggers
2009 - Nothing
2010 - Mario Sports Mix
2011 - Nothing
2012 - Mario Tennis 3DS
2013 - Mario Golf 3DS

Even in those two later "nothing" years, they had Mario & Sonic Olympic games. 2002 is genuinely the only year there hasn't been a Mario sports game since 1998.

Mario RPGs because I can't be bothered typing them up:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Mario_role-playing_games

And Layton is just splitting hairs.

So with sports, we're just going to stretch across every single platform. Ok I guess. By Mario RPGs you mean you can't be bothered by reading, because they're not every year by any stretch.

Pokemon, sure. They're still popular and games of consistently good quality. X & Y is a significant departure from the series, even more so than the generations.

So you managed to make approximately half a point (3 franchises being 1.5 correct) and establish that as the norm for an entire company. Well done sir.

B.O.O.M

When you put it in that perspective, I'll have to agree with you. At this point Nintendo probably should brush aside the power issue and try to focus on creating the best user experience it can. It worked for Apple, it could work for them.

Yep they went with the unique controller approach so they should focus on creating unique unique experiences.

What do you mean by favorable? I know last gen alot of Wii games were criticized heavily for graphics for reviews due to ps360 looking that much better. I say we dont see much of that this time around.

I don't think we even had proper comparisons for wii vs the HD twins this gen when it comes to graphics. I don't think it will be such a situation this time around but even then I don't see wiiu titles matching up to PS4/720 games graphic wise. I will gladly admit if proven wrong but the systems will have a pretty big difference in power. Add the fact that the devs from MSony first parties already have experience with HD game development and I don't see the wiiu being underpowered comments going away

It's a tough situation really. Right now after 7 years or so into current gen devs like ND, SSM, 343i are making full use of the systems to make some amazing looking games and wiiu is just starting to get the games going. Once it starts releasing games that look much better than PS360 (as I'm sure it will) then ps4/720 will be out and then those wiiu games will be compared to games on those systems. It's not a situation Nintendo can avoid

I think we will get a better idea of the difference in power after E3/GC/TGS, even though I think we saw some really impressive stuff already at the PS4 unveiling.

Burai

shitonmychest57
Why don't you go search the eShop for titles like Pushmo, Dillon's Rolling Western, HarmoKnight, and some of the other titles floating around. It only makes sense that Nintendo is creatively bankrupt when they have no new IPs to show for their new console after six months. I'm sure we're all disappointed having found out every project under development by Nintendo and their subsidiaries for the next five years are nothing but sequels. Not just the "Punch Out" or "Sin and Punishment" or "Kid Icarus" sequels, but the ugly Mario games. Two Mario games is way too many, forget their play style, perspective and sales.

And why don't you go search iOS, Google Play, Facebook, XBLA, etc. for the interesting games that EA, etc. put out that aren't yearly franchises?

And do you know the worst thing about this whole conversation here? I don't believe for one second that Nintendo are creatively bankrupt. I'm just trying to argue the falsehood from page one that "Nintendo don't need third parties because they rely on tired sequels and Nintendo don't need that shit on their console".

BD1

Banned
You make it sound like they had a choice in the matter.

I see the cultivating of an indie scene as a move of desperation to help fill out a lineup that will continue to be barren.

Nintendo is going to successfully support Wii U by releasing more games than ever before, making more partnerships (SMTxFE is allegedly just the beginning), and by flexing their increased publisher power (B2, W101, LEGO, Rayman, NG3, Just Dance, etc). The potential profit is ridiculous. HD remakes and collections like Wind Waker are further efforts to fill out the lineup and make some quick cash.

I dunno, you both make it seem like this is a knee jerk reaction from Nintendo. I'm sure they'd like more support from the EA's of the world, but my argument is Nintendo specifically designed both a console and a publishing strategy to promote Indie development. I don't think this is desperation, I think Indie games were a big part of their plans all along.

Chindogg

I never said it was possible on Xbox1 hardware.

I did, that game still ran at a fucking terrible framerate when loaded with enemies. The bloom covered for some of the really pisspoor textures.

Was it pretty? Yes. Could it be done on Xbox 1? Given their last generation of graphics they pulled out of that box, it's possible but unlikely. I'll walk that back a bit, but it wasn't like the presentation was night and day until a few months later when more games utilized the hardware more efficiently.

M-PG71C

I dunno, you both make it seem like this is a knee jerk reaction from Nintendo. I'm sure they'd like more support from the EA's of the world, but my argument is Nintendo specifically designed both a console and a publishing strategy to promote Indie development. I don't think this is desperation, I think Indie games were a big part of their plans all along.

I do too. I also agree to a point with the other poster as well. Nintendo is becoming a bigger and bigger publisher by the day. I think they are fully aware that while they would be happy to get any support they can get, they'll have to rely on their own output for the most part.

That output is not exclusively from their own, they have many areas they can pull from.

Yep they went with the unique controller approach so they should focus on creating unique unique experiences.

I don't think we even had proper comparisons for wii vs the HD twins this gen when it comes to graphics. I don't think it will be such a situation this time around but even then I don't see wiiu titles matching up to PS4/720 games graphic wise. I will gladly admit if proven wrong but the systems will have a pretty big difference in power. Add the fact that the devs from MSony first parties already have experience with HD game development and I don't see the wiiu being underpowered comments going away

It's a tough situation really. Right now after 7 years or so into current gen devs like ND, SSM, 343i are making full use of the systems to make some amazing looking games and wiiu is just starting to get the games going. Once it starts releasing games that look much better than PS360 (as I'm sure it will) then ps4/720 will be out and then those wiiu games will be compared to games on those systems. It's not a situation Nintendo can avoid

I think we will get a better idea of the difference in power after E3/GC/TGS, even though I think we saw some really impressive stuff already at the PS4 unveiling.
Yea Im not saying its unavoidable Im sure PS4/720 will have games that will look impossible for Wii U but for some reason I still need to see that game. What was shown at the sony presser could be mistaken for this gen at some points. I also need to see the game for Wii U too that looks good. I have already felt good about X and thats just early footage. Not so much graphic wise but the IQ is what really impress me as a console that is 360/PS3.

I did, that game still ran at a fucking terrible framerate when loaded with enemies. The bloom covered for some of the really pisspoor textures.

Was it pretty? Yes. Could it be done on Xbox 1? Given their last generation of graphics they pulled out of that box, it's possible but unlikely. I'll walk that back a bit, but it wasn't like the presentation was night and day until a few months later when more games utilized the hardware more efficiently.

I had a Xbox1, I had Kameo. Not, it is impossible that kameo, as in 360, can be done on Xbox1.

Burai

shitonmychest57

If this is the case why are we only hearing about their indie plans now? Because now that everyone else has abandoned them indie games are their only hope?

Kimawolf

Hmm hoping they regret it... sounds like he's saying he hopes their bottom lines show they fucked up once others start showing hits on the systems. I don't blame him on that point.

And you know that how?

Considering all the processing load goes to the GPU on the Wii U, unlike 360/PS3 on the CPU I'm calling bullshit on your assumption.
Someone more technical can probably answer better, but from what I understand things like programmable shaders were newer, and there was a lot of learning involved this generation to get visuals and performance out of the hardware over the course of their lifetimes. Also, consider developers had the more esoteric nature of the Cell to contend with.

There isn't anything about the Wii U that should be particularly difficult in terms of architecture or techniques, so far as I'm aware, that would see the degree of improvement we had this generation. They aren't going "A tricore PPC and an AMD GPU. How the hell do we use this?"

Van Owen

Banned
lol I still can't believe people are holding out for a Wii U game that will be so magnificent looking that it will prove the system is significantly more powerful than a 360. Sad at this point.

That's a load of shit. Nintendo designed the WiiU just for themselves and they are paying for it. Now they are panicking trying to get all the Indy support that they can get.

mantidor

WiiU third party games look like ps3/360 games simply because they are ports of ps3/360 games, I don't see the fuzz.

Also power is hardly quantifiable, as we have seen in the stupid 8Gb of DDR5 meme, better hardware doesn't mean higher numbers, at all.

Nintendo's failure about visual impressions was launching with Nintendo Land and New Super Mario Bros U, in this gen art direction will matter more than flops, and they just recycled their old aesthetics, of course no one was going to see that big of a change.

And why don't you go search iOS, Google Play, Facebook, XBLA, etc. for the interesting games that EA, etc. put out that aren't yearly franchises?

And do you know the worst thing about this whole conversation here? I don't believe for one second that Nintendo are creatively bankrupt. I'm just trying to argue the falsehood from page one that "Nintendo don't need third parties because they rely on tired sequels and Nintendo don't need that shit on their console".

Tetris, Dead Space for Ipad, Sims, Need for Speed, and Monopoly. So because they are spaced out a couple of years that makes it alright? Unless you mean exhilarating titles like Fantasy Safari?

And this brings the topic of indie developers full circle, because who are making these iOS/Android/Facebook games primarily? Small developers. And who is Nintendo trying to emphasize marketing their eShop platform to? Small developers.

lol I still can't believe people are holding out for a Wii U game that will be so magnificent looking that it will prove the system is significantly more powerful than a 360. Sad at this point.
Can you describe significant? I think some people are getting the wrong impression. I seriously hope people are not saying significant as of much better than ps360 can do but something we know thats unachieveable on those systems.

WiiU third party games look like ps3/360 games simply because they are ports of ps3/360 games, I don't see the fuzz.

Also power is hardly quantifiable, as we have seen in the stupid 8Gb of DDR5 meme, better hardware doesn't mean higher numbers, at all.

Nintendo's failure about visual impressions was launching with Nintendo Land and New Super Mario Bros U, in this gen art direction will matter more than flops, and they just recycled their old aesthetics, of course no one was going to see that big of a change.

Yeah, That Lego game surely look next gen lol. The CPU is weaker, and the WiiU is barely more powerful than PS360. Nintendo is cheap, but plenty of people already knew that.

Lunar15

Underpowered isn't a misunderstanding. It's underpowered, fact.

This. If Iwata doesn't understand that, that's not good. If he were to say "we're working with this fact and showing why it might be a benefit (lower costs)" that'd be fine. But if he just views it as a misconception... eugh.

B.O.O.M

Yea Im not saying its unavoidable Im sure PS4/720 will have games that will look impossible for Wii U but for some reason I still need to see that game. What was shown at the sony presser could be mistaken for this gen at some points. I also need to see the game for Wii U too that looks good. I have already felt good about X and thats just early footage. Not so much graphic wise but the IQ is what really impress me as a console that is 360/PS3.

I disagree about the ps4 unveiling. Games like KZ SF looks much better than any PS3 titles so far and it still has a while to go. (I'm personally more excited to see how Second Son comes about..they said the footage shown were in-engine and with some time left till the release it could be a real knockout visually). Basically they are better but comparable to ps360's best games and it will only get better from there.

Nintendo's approach should be not about removing these so called 'misunderstandings' but to drop some jaws by using cool art styles, scales etc in their games (e.g. X).

Morokh

The bad thing I read in what he says is that not many actual devs are supporting the system which we pretty much already know.

The good thing I can read about it is that there is obvious potential in indie/unknown dev, and that Nintendo will more than certainly play the 'publisher' card more actively.

Pikma

Banned
Couldn't care less about power, it's all about the games for me, if I were to guide my purchases in power I would be playing a Vita instead of a 3DS right now. (Not that I have something against Vita, it just doesn't convince me yet)

Also, with regard to the Wii U's "power!!!" discussion has died down, but it seems consensus about the GPU has turned more towards it being an 160 shader part, which (while not always the best measure) amounts to 176 GFLOPS in floating point performance from my understanding?

It's inaccurate to say it's "2006 tech" etc. But taking what info's been gleaned, I don't think it's that inaccurate to say it's comparable in performance to the 360 or PS3.

Essentially, it seems like what one would get if they aimed in circa 2011 to design a system of similar performance to the PS3/360 with a small form factor and low power draw.

hatchx

Banned
I think a lot of people are overlooking one thing. The speed of next-gen consoles will most likely speed up load times and system OS.

That's been a real deal-breaker for me is how goddamn slow the Wii U OS is, even after the update it's pathetic. Navigating around the system is an absolute chore, and there's just no way it should take 7-8 seconds to enter and exit your friend list.

The PS3/360 ain't great, but next gen I expect these things to be seamless. That's one thing that the Wii U is already failing at, and it's a huge disappointment as I don't see it speeding up.

Van Owen

Banned
Also, with regard to the Wii U's "power!!!" discussion has died down, but it seems consensus about the GPU has turned more towards it being an 160 shader part, which (while not always the best measure) amounts to 176 GFLOPS in floating point performance from my understanding?

It's inaccurate to say it's "2006 tech" etc. But taking what info's been gleaned, I don't think it's that inaccurate to say it's comparable in performance to the 360 or PS3.

Essentially, it seems like what one would get if they aimed in circa 2011 to design a system of similar performance to the PS3/360 with a small form factor and low power draw.

NUH UH DUDE. WE DON'T EVEN KNOW ALL THE GPU FEATURES YET. FIXED FUNCTIONS

I disagree about the ps4 unveiling. Games like KZ SF looks much better than any PS3 titles so far and it still has a while to go. (I'm personally more excited to see how Second Son comes about..they said the footage shown were in-engine and with some time left till the release it could be a real knockout visually). Basically they are better but comparable to ps360's best games and it will only get better from there.

Nintendo's approach should be not about removing these so called 'misunderstandings' but to drop some jaws by using cool art styles, scales etc in their games (e.g. X).
Well the whole PS4 reveal is opinion some were impressed some werent. I really wasnt anything except deep down. And if a game looks like that with a lot of action I will be pretty hyped but I want to see somebody playing it.

Maybe removing the misunderstandings is using cool artstyles, and designing games to look the best they can with the hardware they have made. Im pretty sure everyone assumes 3D mario will look like a game we havent seen in the past 7 years but with limitations of a 7 year old system. Im sure we are going to see games we have never seen before simply because Nintendo franchise and aesthetics making a huge jump by themselves.

wsippel

Banned

See, that's the thing: If it is 176GFLOPS, then why do some graphically intensive games look and perform better on Wii U? That shouldn't be the case.

mantidor

The WiiU is severely underpowered.

Ahahahahahahha.

Yeah, That Lego game surely look next gen lol. The CPU is weaker, and the WiiU is barely more powerful than PS360. Nintendo is cheap, but plenty of people already knew that.

I thought it was "severely underpowered", now is "barely more powerful", whats next? if you are going to troll at least keep a consistent narrative.

CPU power tells me nothing about the actual power of the system. After the people who actually know what they are talking about went over a 30+ page thread to figure out the GPU the conclusion was "we still don't know".

The WiiU probably won't be able to pull PS4's Killzone graphics, sure, that doesn't mean it's incapable of good graphics.

Vorundor

I still have to see what the next Mario 3D looks like as well as Mario Kart. Nintendo has some great games to show still and to me, the biggest deal, is that I will get to see a proper HD Mario and Mario Kart game, not to mention the inevitable Zelda.

I just wish Nintendo would also release a new game for StarFox and F-Zero.

Chindogg

That's a load of shit. Nintendo designed the WiiU just for themselves and they are paying for it. Now they are panicking trying to get all the Indy support that they can get.

If that's a load of shit, then why concede pretty much the entire launch to 3rd parties, even dedicating an entire E3 conference to 3rd party Wii U support?

The_Lump

Banned
Can't believe the same people start the same endless arguments in every Nintendo/Iwata thread. De-rails it immediately. Reading that first page is hilarious/mind numbing.

This sorta stuff is always good to hear from Iwata, we need more proof that anything will actually change though before I'm excited...

B.O.O.M

I think a lot of people are overlooking one thing. The speed of next-gen consoles will most likely speed up load times and system OS.

That's been a real deal-breaker for me is how goddamn slow the Wii U OS is, even after the update it's pathetic. Navigating around the system is an absolute chore, and there's just no way it should take 7-8 seconds to enter and exit your friend list.

The PS3/360 ain't great, but next gen I expect these things to be seamless. That's one thing that the Wii U is already failing at, and it's a huge disappointment as I don't see it speeding up.

You bring up a good point. I didn't think of that angle either

Well the whole PS4 reveal is opinion some were impressed some werent. I really wasnt anything except deep down. And if a game looks like that with a lot of action I will be pretty hyped but I want to see somebody playing it.

Maybe removing the misunderstandings is using cool artstyles, and designing games to look the best they can with the hardware they have made. Im pretty sure everyone assumes 3D mario will look like a game we havent seen in the past 7 years but with limitations of a 7 year old system. Im sure we are going to see games we have never seen before simply because Nintendo franchise and aesthetics making a huge jump by themselves.

I honestly feel that people are so used to publishers using PC version footage of games (like battlefield 3 for example) to showcase gameplay and is the reason why they can't see the difference that much. Deep Down did look crazy..I refuse to believe it until I see it as well lol. But I have no doubt the final version of KZ SF, next SSM and ND gamers etc will knock off some socks..they are good at their craft so to speak

Yep I mean a HD Zelda game for example, will get people hyped no matter what. HD Nintendo games will be a new experience for all.

See, that's the thing: If it is 176GFLOPS, then why do some graphically intensive games look and perform better on Wii U? That shouldn't be the case.
Don't know, I was simply reading the thread about the GPU and it seemed people like Fourth Storm were converting to the 160 shader theory. I recall reading that a more modern 176 GFLOP part could outperform the Xenos chip. At any rate I don't think that even if the part was double the FLOPS that necessarily makes it taboo to consider the system of similar performance/power to the 360/PS3. Better? Yes. Similar, still? Also yes.

Hermii

Maybe because its an extremely efficient machine and 360 is not that efficient at all ? Just guessing here.

Darryl

Banned
Don't know, I was simply reading the thread about the GPU and it seemed people like Fourth Storm were converting to the 160 shader theory. I recall reading that a more modern 176 GFLOP part could outperform the Xenos chip. At any rate I don't think that even if the part was double the FLOPS that necessarily makes it taboo to consider the system of similar performance/power to the 360/PS3. Better? Yes. Similar, still? Also yes.

i don't understand the need to put it in such simple terms so soon. it's clearly a different monster. the hardware build priorities are completely different than the PS3/360. we just don't know what they're doing yet and the evidence aka NSMB and third-party ports shouldn't convince anyone.

Thorakai

Doesn't matter if Wii U is more powerful than meets the eye, it won't be on par with PS4 and Nextbox and that is what the big third-parties are interested in working on. Any extra effort needed to take advantage of its extra juice means more money put into ports, which aren't getting the sales it needs simply based on install base.

It would be great if Nintendo really pushes indie games on the same level as AAA games, but I don't see them putting forth the effort to make that happen. All games would be seen as equals, right now there is a stigma against downloadable games as being a 'lesser' experience compared to their retail counterparts. There is a potential market for pushing the independent scene into the living room in a way neither of the big three have fully taken advantage of yet.

AOC83

Banned

There is exactly one game which could be called graphically intensive that runs slightly better on the WiiU and that is NFS.

I thought it was "severely underpowered", now is "barely more powerful", whats next? if you are going to troll at least keep a consistent narrative.

CPU power tells me nothing about the actual power of the system. After the people who actually know what they are talking about went over a 30+ page thread to figure out the GPU the conclusion was "we still don't know".

The WiiU probably won't be able to pull PS4's Killzone graphics, sure, that doesn't mean it's incapable of good graphics.

Severely underpowered with regard to next gen. Of course the WiiU can´t pull off Killzone Shadow Fall graphics, it can barely do Killzone 3, and GOW:A graphics.

wsippel

Banned
We don't really know what's going on with the shader units. The SRAM organization looks like there should be 160, but the clusters seem too big for that.

Top Bottom