• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Iwata on third parties, hundreds of inquiries since GDC about Nintendo Web Framework

Rehynn

Iwata really is a goner. He's been saying all the wrong stuff and seemingly doesnt understand why the WiiU is where it is.

So what would be the right thing to say?

"We will magically increase the processing power of the Wii U, make it cheaper, and still sell it at a profit."

Some thoughts:

While 3rd party support is indeed vital to any console, Nintendo is far less reliant on it, compared to the other two. N's success is primarily on the strength (or lack there of) of the games it provides. 3rd party support is... well, supportive to that, prolonging the life of the system. SNES and the DS are a testament to that.

However due to its' limited workforce (they are expanding now and for the last couple of years though...), the transition period to the U, as well as the need to supply the 3DS in the same timeframe they haven't been able yet, to give a lot of meaningful 1st party support. Another big reason is their obsessions but that's another talk altogether.

IMHO and i've said it before, Nintendo has to CREATE an audience for these kinds of games by providing similar content itself. I mean there's loads of cheap talent available in the West Retro growing and Next Level Games, NST etc. are fine and all, but they need to make a team, to develop western oriented content like a WRPG, a competitive fps, a realistic racer etc. If those are successes, then it will be proven that there is an audience for those types of games on the system and 3rd parties will be more open to the idea of giving the U similar games.

All in all it's not impossible, I mean look where they were at the indie front 2 years ago and now they are though of as the most indie friendly of the big 3. Moreover, 3rd parties are facing increasing difficulties, desperately seeking new ''business models'' and ways to suck more cash by the hardcore. They would port their high budget games across the board.

Mithos

Wow a few better textures and slightly better framerate in a game that was 6 month longer in development than the other versions.

NO the game was not in development 6 months longer, the Wii U version was started on AFTER the other versions were finished. Criterion said in an interview that after the finalization of the other versions they took a break and came back after the holiday (whatever holiday there was around that time) and started working on the Wii U version.

This makes it that the Wii U version were made in under 6 months if not even shorter, not 6 months longer development.

Sendou

IMHO and i've said it before, Nintendo has to CREATE an audience for these kinds of games by providing similar content itself. I mean there's loads of cheap talent available in the West Retro growing and Next Level Games, NST etc. are fine and all, but they need to make a team, to develop western oriented content like a WRPG, a competitive fps, a realistic racer etc. If those are successes, then it will be proven that there is an audience for those types of games on the system and 3rd parties will be more open to the idea of giving the U similar games.

Yeah that wouldn't hurt. They also have the choice of doing what they did with Bayonetta 2 in west (and I hope the collobrations talk include this). Psychonauts 2 funded by Nintendo developed by Double Fine exclusively for Wii U? That's one game that certainly isn't lining up publishers.

"We promise guys, there's more stuff on the way!"

We've been hearing this shit since the Gamecube.

Last time we heard that with 3DS. How did that turn out?

Makonero

The people who say ps3 is just full of games with brown and grey filters on them, either don't have a ps3 or have not looked at the full catalogue of games.

Art styles can significantly improve with better graphical ability. Just look how much better Okami looks in HD.

And I'm arguing that good art styles are good, no matter the definition. Wind Waker will always look good - hell, I'm playing Another Code: R on an HDTV and it still looks stunning. Certain types of art can be made within limitations and look good. More power doesn't guarantee prettier games.

Risette

A Good Citizen
And I'm arguing that good art styles are good, no matter the definition. Wind Waker will always look good - hell, I'm playing Another Code: R on an HDTV and it still looks stunning. Certain types of art can be made within limitations and look good. More power doesn't guarantee prettier games.
Uh, yeah it does. Any 3D game would look better at higher resolutions and with better image quality.

wsippel

Banned
Grim. If this is all Iwata has to say in response, how utterly grim.

He can make the web platform as easy to get into as he wants, but thats just never going to push hardware sales and the smartest of developers are going to target PC, smartphones, and other platforms that achieve an install base that will turn a profit on their efforts.

Worse still is the nonsense "make them regret it" line, when Ubisoft already very publicly regretted making Rayman Legends an exclusive and you can look at sales figures on stuff like CODBLOPS2 and Need For Speed where that regret is for even bothering with WiiU.

Iwata really is a goner. He's been saying all the wrong stuff and seemingly doesnt understand why the WiiU is where it is.
The smartest developers are going to target everything feasible under the sun. And thanks to Nintendo's policies, cheap devkits, free middleware, and especially the GamePad, the Wii U is an extremely viable platform. Even more so right now, as there's little competition.

Why is the GamePad so important? Because it enables devs to bring pretty much everything to the system with little to no compromises. It doesn't matter if a game was designed around controllers, touch or mouse and keyboard, chances are the Wii U can handle whatever interface and input style your game requires.

So now low powered systems are a matter of opinion and not relative fact in comparison to other systems?

What kind of kool aid are people supporting Iwata drinking?

Nothing like fitting those 2006 era GFX tech on to a GPU which struggles to get 720p at 30fps while simultaneously having a worse CPU than the 360! Oh, whilst also sharing 1GB of RAM! Its 2006 all over again everyone! YAY! Arent you devs excited to have almost the exact same situation you have had for more than half a decade?

That must make it a blast for 3rd party devs! Surely it is just an opinion this thing lacks power, just look at those slightly higher detailed textures in a number of games! Who cares about the other examples of games running noticeably worse (just go to any digital foundry page). The console is obviously peanuts easy to get games running on that look and run equivalent to consoles designed in 2004 and 2005!

v1oz

Kameo on Xbox 360 looked pretty much the same on when it was on Xbox...

No it didn't. The only thing similar was the art style. But the amount of enemies/objects/effects on screen and the sheer amount of foliage/vegetation etc was several orders of magnitude above what we saw on the Xbox.

Van Owen

Banned
It's more alarming that Iwata concedes there's no 3rd party games coming than it is that Wii U is essentially as powerful as a 360.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.

"We will magically increase the processing power of the Wii U, make it cheaper, and still sell it at a profit."

"We're actively laser precision targeting high profile third parties we feel are key to WiiU's success"
"We've established a studio/studios to port games and thus be published by Nintendo" much in the same way Microsoft created the port of Minecraft which I hear HAS BEEN PRETTY SUCCESSFUL for them.
"We've established a talented tech outreach unit to help and advise developers through any problems with the WiiU's unconventional structure" like Sony did for the PS3.

vs

"Maybe something will just suddenly explode in popularity?"

Huff

Banned
It's funny how similar the wiiu and vita are.

The indies are coming, the indies are coming

/paul revere

"We're actively laser precision targeting high profile third parties we feel are key to WiiU's success"
"We've established a studio/studios to port games and thus be published by Nintendo, much in the same way Microsoft created the port of Minecraft which I hear HAS BEEN PRETTY SUCCESSFUL for them"
"We've established a talented tech outreach unit to help and advise developers through any problems with the WiiU's unconventional structure like Sony did for the PS3"

vs

It is actually this, "Maybe something will just suddenly explode in popularity because they just don't understand how good it is."

Majmun

"Please understand"

"You're misunderstanding"

This whole Wii U debacle has turned Iwata into an interesting person...

"We've established a studio/studios to port games and thus be published by Nintendo" much in the same way Microsoft created the port of Minecraft which I hear HAS BEEN PRETTY SUCCESSFUL for them.
"We've established a talented tech outreach unit to help and advise developers through any problems with the WiiU's unconventional structure" like Sony did for the PS3.

vs

It is actually this, "Maybe something will just suddenly explode in popularity because they just don't understand how good it is."

Actually, I am pretty sure Nintendo intends for their first party offerings to be the system sellers. When was the last time a third party game sold a Nintendo console? Never?

When was the last time a Nintendo game sold a Nintendo console? Oh right, everytime.

Ports don't sell consoles, exclusives do.

Risette

A Good Citizen
Actually, I am pretty sure Nintendo intends for their first party offerings to be the system sellers. When was the last time a third party game sold a Nintendo console? Never?

When was the last time a Nintendo game sold a Nintendo console? Oh right, everytime.

so now we're back to "we don't need third party games anyways"

wsippel

Banned

vs

I guess you've never heard of Nintendo SDSG (Software Development Support Group)?

Also, Nintendo doesn't seem to consider ports and chasing trends a "key to success". In fact, going by what Iwata said earlier, they don't want Minecraft - they want the next Minecraft. And whatever that might be, it's unlikely to be AAA and even more unlikely to come from one of the big, established publishers. That's the main reason they're lowering the barrier for indie developers.

so now we're back to "we don't need third party games anyways"

Well, they don't need the same third party games that Microsoft and Sony get. Nintendo works for a complete different market - am I the only one who gets this? If third party publisher brought exclusive games that catered to the Nintendo market they would do very well - Ubisoft and Activision figured this out with the Wii.

Yay, someone else gets it. I'd say it goes beyond just making games in these genres and for these audiences though. Brand, marketing and position of the system towards attracting such audiences is also essential.

Maybe something like "We understand the reluctance of third parties with the Wii U. In the past we haven't made proper attempt to cultivate an audience for such titles within our system installed base. But we will endeavor to create an environment where third party titles can succeed."

Of course, it would be good to actually do this and not just let it be lip service.
Call of Duty, FIFA and Madden sell plenty of systems.

Rehynn

vs

Fair enough, but the Wii U needs system sellers, so the Minecraft situation is hardly applicable here. Bringing a successful game to a system with a huge userbase is not the same as helping carry a struggling platform to popularity.

Also, your third point would be more important if people were trying to bring their games to Wii U, but struggling with the minutiae of development. Problem is, they're not even trying.

I like your first proposal though.

Launch. Software.

We haven't even seen Nintendo's first big graphical foray into HD yet with Pikmin 3. Seriously I'm not sure if you're trolling or just dense as hell.

Launch software that WASN'T MADE ON FINAL KITS.
But he's a known troll in denial, a Brera without the exclamation marks, if you will. It's easier to block his noise.

wsippel

Banned
Not Nintendo systems. Though that's probably mostly peer pressure when it comes to games with a heavy online focus. If you're buying a system for one of those games, you're going to buy the system your friends own.

halo and gears of war built that fanbase first. just dance probably sold a ton of wiis, but would there be quite the strong connection with that franchise without wii fit? i don't think so.
Do you mean on the original XBOX, or the 360? COD preceded the first Halo game on it didn't it, although that was an exclusive I guess. I don't really get how they built the fanbase on the PS3 though.

Although, I don't really disagree that platform holders set the tone of their system and are ultimately responsible for cultivating an audience for games on them. I didn't say exclusives don't sell systems.

seady

Instead of releasing one or two games every month, Nintendo is going to save them all up and push it all out starting in the summer (first with Pikmin 3). If go with a price drop, then the system will feel like a relaunch.

Releasing 1-2 games now or spreading them apart will only send that software to die. Look at Lego City Undercover, it barely did anything at all to the console sale. Because it was released at a time when the system is not selling. Should have combined force with a bunch of other promotion and game releases.

The DS revived after first 6 months drought until Advance Wars, Kirby Canvas Curse, Meteos, Brain Age, Nintendogs etc all came out around the same time. Suddenly the system became a hit again. 3DS was the same last year with Kid Icarus, Resident Evil, and combined with a bunch of others to ignite the systems.

Toski

Do you mean on the original XBOX, or the 360? COD preceded the first Halo game on it didn't it, although that was an exclusive I guess. I don't really get how they built the fanbase on the PS3 though.

Although, I don't really disagree that platform holders set the tone of their system and are ultimately responsible for cultivating an audience for games on them. I didn't say exclusives don't sell systems.

Because PS3 fans and 360 fans have more or less the same taste. They were "HD Twins" in more than games and tech. When people say "we don't need 3 consoles doing the same thing," they are more or less saying Nintendo shouldn't go after the same market & demographic.

Village

lol I still can't believe people are holding out for a Wii U game that will be so magnificent looking that it will prove the system is significantly more powerful than a 360. Sad at this point.

It is going to be smash bros. I do not know what it is about smash bros, but they always look quite nice. Espically the last one, which still is one of the best if not the best looking game on the wii.

So I am imagining that smash bros crew will breaking out their wizard contracts to make it look like a ps4 game.

( clearly this is somwhat exaggeration, but I feel someone will not get that)

Because PS3 fans and 360 fans have more or less the same taste. They were "HD Twins" in more than games and tech. When people say "we don't need 3 consoles doing the same thing," they are more or less saying Nintendo shouldn't go after the same market & demographic.
I think you misunderstood, I was saying I don't see how Halo and Gears built a fanbase for COD on the PS3.

What you're saying is fine - Nintendo's free to march by the beat of their own drum. But they shouldn't expect the rest of the industry to change its cadence.

andthebeatgoeson

This thread is about third parties. If may not be underpowered for Nintendo but for third parties it seems it is underpowered.

I think the sales are underpowered. By the first few posts, someone misinterpreted what he said. He said he wanted other 3rd parties to succeed and make the 3rd parties who are hesitant to feel jealous. Makes sense. Wii U needs a decent 3rd party seller. Something that will hit over 1 million. Enough for companies to consider it for ports. Where they are right now is unsustainable. But a few good 3rd party sellers will change the tune of a lot of companies.

It is going to be smash bros. I do not know what it is about smash bros, but they always look quite nice. Espically the last one, which still is one of the best if not the best looking game on the wii.

So I am imagining that smash bros crew will breaking out their wizard contracts to make it look like a ps4 game.
Believe!

also I havent forgot about you

Yay, someone else gets it. I'd say it goes beyond just making games in these genres and for these audiences though. Brand, marketing and position of the system towards attracting such audiences is also essential.Maybe something like "We understand the reluctance of third parties with the Wii U. In the past we haven't made proper attempt to cultivate an audience for such titles within our system installed base. But we will endeavor to create an environment where third party titles can succeed."

Of course, it would be good to actually do this and not just let it be lip service.

I don't really think those titles so much sell plenty of systems as they sell plenty on those systems that cater to the market segment that buys those games.

If Nintendo went crazy and moneyhatted the next COD, they wouldn't sell 10 million systems in two months (or whatever crazy amount COD sells). The market segment that likes those games (twerps? :) would move on to another game that caters to their needs.

Really the job that Iwata needs to be doing is keeping Skylanders coming to the Wii U, making sure Just Dance keeps selling well on Nintendo consoles, etc., and pushing an increase to the install base so the publishers have a market for their 'Nintendo market' games.

The best way he can do that is to push out first party games.

-MB-

Wait what, when did Sony or MS release their own WRPG on ps3/360?
And yet it got them, yet Nintendo needs to make one of their own in order to get 3rd parties to see it has a market for them?? riiiight...

Hedja

Underpowered isn't a misunderstanding. It's underpowered, fact.

That depends on Nintendo's. If they planned the same power that the console currently outputs, it's not underpowered. Being underpowered would mean it didn't meet Nintendo's requirements for what it needs to do.

It's powered exactly as planned. If we were going by the definition that "underpowered" consoles are consoles which fail to set a new bar in graphical and processing power, then the PS4/X720 are more than likely to be underpowered since the PC clearly outmatches them already.

It doesn't look like Nintendo wants more multiplats. Going by their web framework and Unity, it wants the smaller developers for games on the eShop and what not.

I think the sales are underpowered. By the first few posts, someone misinterpreted what he said. He said he wanted other 3rd parties to succeed and make the 3rd parties who are hesitant to feel jealous. Makes sense. Wii U needs a decent 3rd party seller. Something that will hit over 1 million. Enough for companies to consider it for ports. Where they are right now is unsustainable. But a few good 3rd party sellers will change the tune of a lot of companies.

I am sure there were several great selling third party games on the Wii but that did not help their situation much. It all depends on the third party game that sells so much as to make other third parties jealous; if its something like just dance then core franchises will not move over. Basically it has to be a core gaming franchise that sells well that shows third parties there is such an audience. Even then thats a gross generalisation as a FPS selling well does not imply a racing game will sell well. They also need to change the stigma that nintendo consoles are for nintendo games only that even their fans seem to spout in defence when its clearly a problem.

And yet it got them, yet Nintendo needs to make one of their own in order to get 3rd parties to see it has a market for them?? riiiight...

Nintendo does not need to make it themselves just like Sony and MS did not. They just need a wrpg to sell well to give indication to third parties that there is an audience.

Steroyd

I say they should start supporting the smaller devs, as they tend to make better games.

All of these big devs have shown just how horrible and egosticial they are. Nintendo is better off without the likes of EA, DICE, Activision and their stale games. They have become cancer on the industry. Square and THQ are prime examples of what modern gaming results in.

They should help bring help bring up a new age of developers by contracting indie devs newer studios.

Their practices may be a cancer that needs to be removed, but they're also the ones that will satiate the masses every year, even if it's just COD, Fifa etc.

These exact statements are why Iwata is not right for the CEO position.

He as a CEO needs to actively meet and work with CEOs from other companies to make deals and establish partnerships. Expecting developers to suddenly support your system because it reaches an arbitrary threshold is not going to happen.

Iwata is lost and needs to be fired.

I don't really think those titles so much sell plenty of systems as they sell plenty on those systems that cater to the market segment that buys those games.

If Nintendo went crazy and moneyhatted the next COD, they wouldn't sell 10 million systems in two months (or whatever crazy amount COD sells). The market segment that likes those games (twerps? :) would move on to another game that caters to their needs.
I tend to believe consumers go where the game(s) they want go. People who really want GTA aren't going to go looking for alternatives to GTA if Microsoft moneyhats GTAV; if someone wants FIFA and Sony moneyhats it, they're not going to settle for PES (if it remains a poor substitute). Someone who wants COD will get COD, even if they can get Battlefield in its place.

The audience for such titles essentially split between the 360 and PS3 this gen, from being consolidated on the PS2 mostly last gen.

If Nintendo moneyhatted COD, then people would buy a Wii U for COD. Although the cost would be astronomical and I don't think Nintendo could justify it.
Really the job that Iwata needs to be doing is keeping Skylanders coming to the Wii U, making sure Just Dance keeps selling well on Nintendo consoles, etc., and pushing an increase to the install base so the publishers have a market for their 'Nintendo market' games.

The best way he can do that is to push out first party games.
Publishers will keep making "Nintendo market" games, if Nintendo can show them there's still a substantial market for them - things like Disney Interactive's Planes game, etc. But the issue right now is that the Wii U isn't really resonating with the market that built franchises like Just Dance up on the Wii.

It's not about "making a WRPG" it's about cultivating an audience for the AAA games that third parties make. If they want those games that is.

Top Bottom