• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Iwata says Nintendo will definitively embrace universal accounts in the future

Kiote

loooong way off

He's talking about their next platform, not 3DS and Wii U. :(

It's certainly up for debate, but I'm pretty sure what he means is that they intend to turn these NNID in to an Account Based System so that when the Next Device Comes out, you just port your ID over to it and keep all your stuff.

Also just like Sony and MS, people should not expect games purchased to transfer over considering they will be probably switching their architecture.

Kerned

Banned
The lack of an account system is the main thing stopping me from getting a Wii U, and it's the reason I never buy digitally on my 3DS. I guess neither of those things will be changing.

Maybe I can get back into Nintendo products in the next decade.

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
I swear they said they were eventually going a while ago, and the first step of the process was Miiverse/NNID on 3DS.

dose

Amazingly late to that party, your other priority Nintendo Is to embrace region free games machines, y'know, like every single fucking handheld you made before the 3ds.

The Boat

Even if this is only coming on their next consoles, it means we can buy digitally now and know we'll keep those games on our accounts. I just hope they don't take too long, they're taking a ridiculously long time with this.

Alfredo

I'm worried that my past purchases won't carry over to whatever their new system ends up being. Like, should I not bother buying Virtual Console games now in case they make me buy them again when they finally set up these accounts?

rpmurphy

In other words, it's never coming for Wii U and 3DS.
You can link and unlink NNIDs to users on the Wii U already, but currently it doesn't allow you to link an NNID that wasn't created on that console, I think? It sounds like at most there will be a need to change some server-side or client-side check.

rvy

Banned
Uh, is there like a hardware limitation for these changes to not be included in current systems?

Hiltz

... So their basically "experimenting" with this now, but won't really implement universal account system until the next generation. Iwata, you are a scary man.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Based on our account system, if we can offer flexible price points to consumers who meet certain conditions, we can create a situation where these consumers can enjoy our software at cheaper price points when they purchase more. Here, we do not need to limit the condition to the number of software titles they purchase. Inviting friends to start playing a particular software title is also an example of a possible condition. If we can achieve such a sales mechanism, we can expect to increase the number of players per title, and the players will play our games with more friends. This can help maintain the high usage ratio of a platform. When one platform maintains a high active use ratio, the software titles which run on it have a higher potential to be noticed by many, which leads to more people playing with more titles. When we see our overall consumers, they generally play two or three titles per year. We aim to establish a new sales mechanism that will be beneficial to both consumers and software creators by encouraging our consumers to play more titles and increasing a platform’s active use ratio without largely increasing our consumers’ expenditures.

Nintendo aims to work on this brand-new sales mechanism in the medium term, but we would like to start experimenting with Wii U at an early stage.

So I fully expect this to happen first on Wii U at some point.

Pocks

How can Nintendo make such great games, and yet be so painfully unaware of their shortcomings? Then when they realize where they are failing, they address it in the most asinine ways imaginable. Future platform, seriously?

Kiote

Uh, is there like a hardware limitation for these changes to not be included in current systems?

No, people are just blowing this out of Proportion.

By stating Future Platforms won't ever have Hardware based accounts, he is indirectly saying they will fix the issue before the next Hardware iteration.

Guys the "future platform" includes 3DS and WiiU. The paragraph that quote came from includes this slide and as you can see WiiU, 3DS, and smartphones are included in this future platform as well as any future hardware.

vKqxhOl.jpg

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/library/events/140130/03.html

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Why is it that everything takes fucking FOREVER with Nintendo. From that system speed update not coming till Summer, to VC stuff coming who knows when, to now unified accounts.

I love my Wii U and 3ds, but fuck its infuriating.

Nugg

When they say "Our future platform", I read "we're two generations late and we don't even care".

EDIT:

Guys the "future platform" includes 3DS and WiiU. The paragraph that quote came from includes this slide and as you can see WiiU, 3DS, and smartphones are included in this future platform as well as any future hardware.

vKqxhOl.jpg

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/library/events/140130/03.html

Even if they release an universal account system today, that would still make them almost a decade late. It's too little too late.

They are not talking about simply creating an ID that ports your Achievements to the next Xbox and leaves your games behind.

Well I certainly will be interested to see how they get all these games up and running on the new systems when they can't even get old GBA games out.

Kerned

Banned
Even if this is only coming on their next consoles, it means we can buy digitally now and know we'll keep those games on our accounts. I just hope they don't take too long, they're taking a ridiculously long time with this.

That's a HUGE assumption to make. I don't see how that's something that can just be assumed. There is no guarantee of backwards compatibility, let alone any assurances that current purchases will carry forward into any hypothetical account system. We don't even know how any such system may work.

"Please understand: If we knew you wanted to share games between 3ds and wiiu, we would have charged twice as much for them, look forward to this in the future!"

Kiote

Well I certainly will be interested to see how they get all these games up and running on the new systems when they can't even get old GBA games out.

By designing hardware that is capable to running or emulating them with ease. Porting GBA games to Wii U is a lot hard than Running Wii Games on a Built in Emulator.

loooong way off

I think he means account platform or a position platform not console platform. It can be read both ways. Since they have already merged the account balances between Wii U and 3DS they could make it work in a cross buy environment with some more work to the existing setup.

The account is now "universal" the shops and shared items just need to be made that way as well.

Either outcome is entirely possible mind you, they could wait until their next gen hardware is out. I think it would be smart for them to use the existing hardware and online infrastructure to play with how they want it to work and then when the new hardware comes out they would be where they want to be with it.

Microsoft did this with the original Xbox everything they did with that system including Live was a beta test of sorts for what we got on the 360 which until recently was the best console online solution for MP, buying and general functionality.

They won't? They are probably talking about keeping your Miiverse posts and shit, since they already consider their NNID approach (which is now on 3DS) to be an ,,account system''.
Expect games to still be hardware-bound next gen.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
loooong way off

A little of both, actually.

He said they took the first steps with the Wii U and 3DS, but on the 3DS in particular, the implementation leaves something to be desired since they had to put accounts on a system that was not designed with them in mind.

They are looking at the NNID as their future "platform." I'm sure it will be shared between all of the new apps and such they will develop on smart devices, their video game consoles, and whatever health monitoring device they are working on.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Which basically means no Nintendo eShop downloads for me til this new plattform arrives.

First of all, it is clearly stated that the new account system will be based on the existing NNIDs. Secondly, even if they implement fully a new account before next hardware launch it is quite probable that the new hardware won't be backwards compatible, as they probably need to change the architecture they use.

When they say "Our future platform", I read "we're two generations late and we don't even care".

EDIT:

Even if they release an universal account system today, that would still make them almost a decade late. It's too little too late.

You are correct they are really behind everyone else. But at least we know its coming for this generation. I hope it gets here before the end of 2014. To be honest we don't have enough info to say how far off it is, I'm guessing we'll find out by/at E3.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I wonder if this will mean crossbuy for 3DS and Wii U?

A further issue with cross-buy is that there's not a lot of cross-content. It works so well with Vita because a lot of games get pretty direct ports to Vita., and there's not more pressure on Microsoft to do it because there's not a lot of content at this juncture that is cross-compatible (today's Halo: Spartan Assault is I think the first?)

Sounds good in theory, but this is the same company that gave us Friend Codes and Region-locks their portable hardware. Even if Nintendo allows content to migrate across platforms, there will absolutely be some backwards-thinking "catch" to it. There always is.

Kiote

First of all, it is clearly stated that the new account system will be based on the existing NNIDs. Secondly, even if they implement fully a new account before next hardware launch it is quite probable that the new hardware won't be backwards compatible, as they probably need to change the architecture they use.

I would put any amount of money on Nintendo's Next System being backward compatible.

Unless they change their architecture and go x86. I'm no expert by any means, but don't take it as a given.

Top Bottom