• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Iwata says Nintendo will definitively embrace universal accounts in the future

Oh you think, maybe you shoulda did that back in 2005?? OMG I hate Nintendo right now.

I want to strangle and knock sense into some people over there.

Someone wipe the slate clean please. These niggas can't be THAT dumb but sad thing is, they are.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
So had they had NNIDs last gen, that would have made the Wii U sell well??? You really believe that?

No, but it's clear they are leaving $$$ on the tablet because there is a segment of people who won't buy without a real account system.

This wouldn't fix the Wii U or make it or even the 3ds sell crazy better, but Nintendo can't afford to leave money on the table either.

tastas

Neo Member
No, but it's clear they are leaving $$$ on the tablet because there is a segment of people who won't buy without a real account system.

This wouldn't fix the Wii U or make it or even the 3ds sell crazy better, but Nintendo can't afford to leave money on the table either.
Intentional? :)

rpmurphy

So had they had NNIDs last gen, that would have made the Wii U sell well??? You really believe that?
Who is arguing that? This and that are two separate topics.

But to your question, it certainly plays a factor, because it influences people's decisions to buy (or rebuy) a console when they can continue to play the games that they had already bought on their new hardware.

Keep promising stuff, Iwata. I'll believe this when it finally goddamn launches. Meanwhile the rest of the world is patiently waiting in 2003 for you to catch up.

Oh you think, maybe you shoulda did that back in 2005?? OMG I hate Nintendo right now.

I want to strangle and knock sense into some people over there.

Someone wipe the slate clean please. These niggas can't be THAT dumb but sad thing is, they are.
Its better of they dont even begin trying to catch up

zma1013

This is so pathetic. "In the future" We have finally figured out something the world figured out over 8 years ago guys! And now you will probably get some form of it with the special Nintendo magic!

Well that's sort of always been their problem. While the rest of the technological world progresses, they are off in their corner doing their own thing not realizing or not caring what everyone else has been doing. So while they rub 2 sticks together to try to start a fire, everyone else is using matches and lighter fluid.

Welcome to the last decade, Nintendo. That you'll be doing what you should have done a long time ago fucking years from now is laughable.

boiled goose

good with gravy
at least they recognize it now.

Exactly what I have been saying about establishing long term relationships and not having to start from scratch every time.

Exactly what I have said in the past.

Just do it now Iwata. Start with 3DS and WiiU. IT WILL HELP.

i'm not everybody, but the number 1 reason I don't own anything nintendo right now is their archaic bullshit like this.

so much hubris going into this gen with the WiiU and 3DS. so much.

Same for me.
This is the number 1 reason why I dont have a 3DS and WiiU, and why I stopped buying digital content on Wii.

Even if not a sticking point for everyone, it makes it so that you invest in their hardware to play their games instead of WANTING to invest in their platform. It affects consumer confidence. It basically adds a virtual higher pricetag to every game and system you buy, because you might lose it. Im sure these archaic practices also lower publisher confidence in nintendo.

If they had a proper account system, I would love to have an evergrowing library of VC classics that I can play on all compatible devices.
it would also make it more likely for people to upgrade their hardware more regularly. Want the new 3DS? No problem. Want a cheap VC box? no problem. Next gen systems? no problem. Online website integration, mobile app integration, Wiifit fitness tracking, etc. etc. etc. ALL BETTER.

Hell, they could even offer hardware specific functionality upgrades for your classics like 3D for 3DS and gamepad play for WiiU.

This paradigm shift from hardware to services is the single most important move nintendo needs to make to ensure their longterm viability as a game maker. Even if dedicated hardware disappears entirely in the future, their switch to services will allow them to keep delivering content in a way they can control.

Grizzo

I'll believe it when I see it. It's like with GBA or N64 games on the Virtual Console: actions speak louder than words, because talk is cheap. They may run into others "technical issues" in the meantime and ask us to "please understand" for the umpteenth time.

I sound so harsh towards this company that I once loved. But they disappointed me so many times over the years that I can't help but be skeptical about everything they say they'll do.

mdtauk

Who is arguing that? This and that are two separate topics.

But to your question, it certainly plays a factor, because it influences people's decisions to buy (or rebuy) a console when they can continue to play the games that they had already bought on their new hardware.

I am not saying they should not have a single account across many devices. Its a good thing this is happening, and hopefully it will grow to have more services in the future,

Just that the lack of a unified account is not the heart of the problems. And people wanting and expecting Nintendo to compete in the same way as Microsoft and Sony - do not understand what Nintendo is, and how they create the great games and experiences.

lantus

What the fuck. Seriously, this should have been done already starting with the Wii, now they're stuck playing catch up for years of infrastructure and building yet another player base. If they would just listen to the people who use their systems for once, they wouldn't be in nearly as bad of shape as they are now.

graywolf323

seriously? the next platform? screw you Nintendo this is downright pathetic

everyone else was able to do this as of 5 years ago

Even if they had included the NNIDs back with the DS and Wii, what real difference would it have made?

Xbox One doesn't carry your content over, and neither does the PS4.

Being late to implement such an account system, does not mean it would have launched in a perfect state.

they carry your account over which allows for them to carry content over later, like if the rumored PS1/PS2 emulation on PS4 happens then Sony can auto-add your already owned PS1/PS2 classics

same way that when Flower/Sound Shapes/etc. get ported to PS4 I don't have to rebuy them because Sony can see I already own the prior version and just add the PS4 release to that

"We're gonna do some stuff that we should have done 5 years ago." "Coming soon, please understand."

So this whole meeting basically shows how INSANELY clueless the people running Nintendo are. I mean, they are legitimately living in some parallel universe/bubble of yes men. How could the be to arrogant and ignorant?

I honestly worry that the next "slew" of releases - that we've known about from launch - will be the last games we see for the Wii U. I think once we get Nintendo's Zelda that the Wii U will be a dead system.

Arkam

Not sure what to think about this new third health app platform.

BUT I really want nintendo to FULLY integrate the 3DS/WiiU accounts. By this I mean if I bought VC games on 3DS and available on WiiU I get them free (and vice versa).

I understand not all games will be on both platforms, but most nes/snes/genesis games should be. Essentially Nintendo needs to start selling the rights to play VC titles and do away with platform specific version rights. I would rebuy my entire VC collection (Wii,3DS, WiiU) one more time if it were the LAST TIME. At this point I have paid for some VC titles 3 times now. Not sure I want to keep doing that each gen.

mdtauk

they carry your account over which allows for them to carry content over later, like if the rumored PS1/PS2 emulation on PS4 happens then Sony can auto-add your already owned PS1/PS2 classics

same way that when Flower/Sound Shapes/etc. get ported to PS4 I don't have to rebuy them because Sony can see I already own the prior version and just add the PS4 release to that

You assume they will allow your content to be carried across...

boiled goose

good with gravy
I am not saying they should not have a single account across many devices. Its a good thing this is happening, and hopefully it will grow to have more services in the future,

Just that the lack of a unified account is not the heart of the problems. And people wanting and expecting Nintendo to compete in the same way as Microsoft and Sony - do not understand what Nintendo is, and how they create the great games and experiences.

I would argue IT IS at the heart of their problems.
Their strength is games, yes, but they have relied on a hardware centric strategy, which clearly is failing. There central theme needs to be services. Build hardware utilizing these services, and then you can deliver your games through this service.

Nearly every other consumer electronics company is now services centered for a reason. Smartphones, apple, microsoft, google, steam, etc. are all service centered. I doubt people would keep buying songs on itunes or games on steam if they had to start from scratch every time they buy new hardware.

Nintendo has a HUGE advantage over MS and Sony that they have failed to exploit due to their lack of adequate services: their huge and ever growing library of classic games. Why do people keep asking for ports? Because they want to play these games. Nintendo's ass backwards approach to delivering content makes it extremely unappealing to invest in their platform. They have to make their platform appealing.

I understand not all games will be on both platforms, but most nes/snes/genesis games should be. Essentially Nintendo needs to start selling the rights to play VC titles and do away with platform specific version rights. I would rebuy my entire VC collection (Wii,3DS, WiiU) one more time if it were the LAST TIME. At this point I have paid for some VC titles 3 times now. Not sure I want to keep doing that each gen.

Yes that is perfectly fine of course.
If n64 games are not available on 3ds but on wii and WiiU that is fine.
All platforms share the same account, some games are not available for all formats. Same for digital WiiU games. of course you would not be able to play them on 3DS but they would still be forever tied to your account. Then when Wii5 comes out, you would be able to play your old WiiU games there if you own them. They could even sell you an upgrade to the holographic version if available.

So in other words, stop buying Nintendo eShop software until that platform launches. :/

Yup. Which is why they need to implement it now.

-Horizon-

So 9th gen right?

In the end, I just hope they figure out a way so that 3DS purchases won't be tied to hardware. I'm assuming their next gen handheld has BC and our account can be moved there.

zma1013

"We're gonna do some stuff that we should have done 5 years ago." "Coming soon, please understand."

So this whole meeting basically shows how INSANELY clueless the people running Nintendo are. I mean, they are legitimately living in some parallel universe/bubble of yes men. How could the be to arrogant and ignorant?

I honestly worry that the next "slew" of releases - that we've known about from launch - will be the last games we see for the Wii U. I think once we get Nintendo's Zelda that the Wii U will be a dead system.

Funny enough it seems a lot of their consoles end with Zelda being the last big release, although usually it's the second Zelda on the platform. I guess if you counted Wind Waker then it would still hold up.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Maybe it's just that I'm getting older, but some people's complete lack of effort to even read the thread before making a cheap shot or drive by comment is getting really annoying. I've always held GAF to a higher standard when it comes to having an actual discussion, but I think I may need to take a break from threads like this.

You think? There isn't much else coming after that.
So in other words, stop buying Nintendo eShop software until that platform launches. :/
When I buy a Wii U Earthbound will be my first and last digital purchase until the creation of a unified account. Gaffers have raved too much about this to miss out on a digital version.

NandN3DS

Banned
You know I could care less, what they have now is good enough. Something happens just call up Nintendo. Though I guess when it happens it would be nice.

VARIA

In the future.

He didn't even say this year.

Yeah, this is really vague. He could've said "by the end of the year" at least.

This makes it sound like the successors to the 3DS & Wii U will have this in mind.

I hope I'm wrong and this happens sooner.

Tobor

And Iwata says "Our future platform will connect with our consumers based on accounts, not devices."

Part of this strategy is that 3DS got NNIDs as he stated (Step 2), therefore, they're part of this platform.

And the japanese original プラットフォーム is singular - platform.

The slideshow picture has a translation error.

Original - Singular:
23.jpg

Even if it is singular, you're still conjecturing that the 3DS and Wii U are getting unified accounts. As written, Step 3 is the new platform.

Singular platform sounds like the hybrid handheld/console, which they very much did mention.

boiled goose

good with gravy
You know I could care less, what they have now is good enough. Something happens just call up Nintendo. Though I guess when it happens it would be nice.

You mean you couldn't care less.
and nope that doesn't work. you have to file a police report for a stolen system, and it is not like they even have a policy, they just do it because they feel bad.

They need to have a dedicated, unified, cross platform account to really build confidence in their platform.

RetroGreg

I guess whatever we have transferred to or have bought on 3DS and Wii U should be linked to our NNID and transfer to the new systems theoretically. I don't think they would start fresh again. This is good news.

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
Iwata said:
On Wii U, we launched Nintendo Network IDs, which are abbreviated as NNIDs. This is the first step of our efforts to transform customer relationship management from device-based to account-based, namely, consumer-based, through which we aim to establish long-term relationships with individual consumers, unaffected by the lifespans of our systems. Our future platform will connect with our consumers based on accounts, not devices.

Of course, when we do launch new hardware in the future, rather than re-creating an installed base from scratch as we did in the past, we wish to build on our existing connections with our consumers through NNIDs and continue to maintain them. Another very important point that we need to consider is how we will incorporate smart devices into Nintendo platforms, which were composed solely of Nintendo hardware in the past.P
Maybe I'm reading into it too much, but I think there's more to this statement than just creating a new account system. There's a comment hidden in here that may be a glimpse of things to come, "Our future platform" to be specific.

We know Nintendo has restructured their development studios recently and joined their handheld and console departments. There was also talk about how Nintendo customers are separated by devices (handhelds & consoles) as well as generation upgrades (DS->3DS & Wii->WiiU). In addition, before the press conference, Iwata made a comment that they are rethinking what the definition of a platform is. As an odd coincidence, Treasure recently announced they were making a game for the Steam platform. This might be some insight into Japanese thinking if they consider Steam a platform. It's not something westerners would traditionally consider a platform because it's more open and subject to change and varied system requirements.

So taking that into consideration, I think it's possible Nintendo may be looking to have a unified architecture for their handhelds and consoles going forward which is why they are using the singular term "platform." It also means a library that can be accessed across multiple devices will be more attractive to consumers over time. Backwards compatibility has had limited impact as it currently exists, but I think it will be more important going forward and people start buying their games thru the e-shop. We know Nintendo likes to charge a lot for their older games and this kind of gives them the excuse to do that. It also allows them to explore other things like DLC if they are able to stretch the life of a single title.

Even if it is singular, you're still conjecturing that the 3DS and Wii U are getting unified accounts. As written, Step 3 is the new platform.

Singular platform sounds like the hybrid handheld/console, which they very much did mention.
You don't understand it.

They don't refer to any hardware device with "platform".

Hear is the exact definition:

"As I just illustrated, we will manage our relationships with our consumers through NNIDs in a uniform manner, and connecting with our consumers through NNIDs will precisely be our new definition of a Nintendo platform.
In other words, our platform will not be bound to physical hardware and, instead, will be virtualized."

Kerned

Banned
I guess whatever we have transferred to or have bought on 3DS and Wii U should be linked to our NNID and transfer to the new systems theoretically. I don't think they would start fresh again. This is good news.

But "should be" and "theoretically" do not necessarily equal "good news," unfortunately.

Grisby

So on the next piece of hardware then? Probably? I'll have to come up with a password for my 3ds-U-fit in a couple of years.

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
Man, this guy loves to talk. Show, don't tell. it's always 'we intend to'... 'we should'... 'we didn't'... Just fucking do it!

RetroGreg

But "should be" and "theoretically" do not necessarily equal "good news," unfortunately.

Yeah. I'm skeptical, but they have done a great job with backwards compatibility the past few generations on both systems so I bet they make this work. I've no reason to think they won't since I haven't been screwed yet.

Top Bottom