• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Iwata says Nintendo will definitively embrace universal accounts in the future

Replicant

You assume they will allow your content to be carried across...

He doesn't have to assume anything. Sony is already doing that with Flower, Sound Shape, Flow, and Escape Plan carried across from PS3/PSVita to PS4. I didn't pay a cent for PS4 version of those titles.

Unless you're talking about Nintendo. Then yeah, all bets are off.

Pociask

Thanks Japanese-translating GAF. Good to see that Nintendo is treating NNID as the platform. What's worrisome is that they view it as the platform, and they still think you should buy the same VC game twice to get to play it on Wii U and 3DS. Also, instead of having everything connecting to a central NNID on that slide, they still show two tracks - so even with one NNID, Nintendo still seems to be thinking in terms of "Stuff in your handheld box" and "Stuff in your console box." I really want them to move to "Stuff in your Nintendo box," and hopefully that's coming.

Tobor

You don't understand it.

They don't refer to any hardware device with "platform".

Hear is the exact definition:

"As I just illustrated, we will manage our relationships with our consumers through NNIDs in a uniform manner, and connecting with our consumers through NNIDs will precisely be our new definition of a Nintendo platform.
In other words, our platform will not be bound to physical hardware and, instead, will be virtualized."

I'm still not seeing anything that confirms 3DS and Wii U will be included in this new platform. It's not there. I'd love to see proof, believe me, but you're not producing evidence that proves anything.

"Manage our relationships with customers" is left to the imagination as well.

I know what it should mean, a proper unified account where games purchased on one device are playable on other devices tied to that account.

What I do not know, and you do not know either, is what Nintendo thinks it means.

We need clarification on all of this.

I'm still not seeing anything that confirms 3DS and Wii U will be included in this new platform. It's not there. I'd love to see proof, believe me, but you're not producing evidence that proves anything.

"Manage our relationships with customers" is left to the imagination as well.

I know what it should mean, a proper unified account where games purchased on one device are playable on other devices tied to that account.

What I do not know, and you do not know either, is what Nintendo thinks it means.

We need clarification on all of this.
Well, time will tell anyway. ;)

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
You don't understand it.

They don't refer to any hardware device with "platform".

Hear is the exact definition:

"As I just illustrated, we will manage our relationships with our consumers through NNIDs in a uniform manner, and connecting with our consumers through NNIDs will precisely be our new definition of a Nintendo platform.
In other words, our platform will not be bound to physical hardware and, instead, will be virtualized."

I'm sorry if I'm not understanding you. Are you saying you don't think they'll be going with a unified architecture/hybrid route going forward? It's pretty clear that they no longer want people tied to a single hardware device whether it be handheld or console but that they consider their NNID's their platform going forward and that it will be virtual. In other words platform agnostic. It will work on all Nintendo devices going forward.

Again, this is verbatim of how Treasure recently spoke about Steam. They consider Steam a platform. Steam isn't hardware, but it has hardware requirements. It's not like Nintendo is going to suddenly stop making hardware, they've admitted that. This is about as close to confirmation you can get that they are pursuing the unified architecture/hybrid route.

TBH, I don't really see any other option Nintendo has at this point. It's a shame they didn't start this sooner, but realistically the technology is just now at a point where it's feasible for them to do it. As long as they don't come up with any gimmicky controls, I think they have a chance at pulling this off and being successful. I don't think it will be an overnight success, but over time, they can build up a respectable ecosystem and people at the very least will start buying Nintendo hardware as their main secondary game system.

Semajer

I'll be surprised if this is actually accomplished in any meaningful capacity. This is the company that I had to send my DSi and DSiXL to to transfer over titles, not the save data, and is trying to make me choose between carrying over my Wii data to Wii U, and losing features of several Wii/Gamecube games, or being able to play my games properly over the two consoles. Not to mention having to pay additional fees for updates to inferior Virtual Console titles. It's stupid and I'll be amazed if they do it with any degree of competence.

Kiote

It's 2014 and they still can't do this, how on earth is this possible? What a bunch of idiots

Oh hey Everyone, Josman says he'll make us a Cross Platform Networking System and integrate it into a Digital Download Shop to track our Purchases on multiple platforms while allowing those profiles to be used as a System of Posting Comments on a Message Board, making Video Calls and Setting Up online Multiplayer Video Game Matches! All that while ensuring that the Network will be easily ported to the next Generation of Hardware too!

Wooo!

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Reaching 2006 parity in 2016 is truly a poor joke and just sums the current Nintendo up in regard to its place in the systems and services market -- one they now want to further delve into with a mysterious third pillar!

I see no reason why both the 3DS and WiiU wouldnt be capable of account sharing content, particularly Virtual Console stuff, when PSP went through numerous Firmware revisions itself getting things like PS Store and more onto it through its lifetime, same with PS3.

Reaching 2006 parity in 2016 is truly a poor joke and just sums the current Nintendo up in regard to its place in the systems and services market -- one they now want to further delve into with a mysterious third pillar!

I see no reason why both the 3DS and WiiU wouldnt be capable of account sharing content, particularly Virtual Console stuff, when PSP went through numerous Firmware revisions itself getting things like PS Store and more onto it through its lifetime, same with PS3.

There is no reason. Some people here seem to believe that Nintendo doesn't know how to program a computer or that Nintendo doesn't have enough money to contract someone to program a computer for them if need be.

mdtauk

There is no reason. Some people here seem to believe that Nintendo doesn't know how to program a computer or that Nintendo doesn't have enough money to contract someone to program a computer for them if need be.

Its a matter of how many resources Nintendo can afford to spend on working to prepare and release new Virtual Console releases, compared to how much money they will make.

Rather than just making a generic emulator to play these games, Nintendo creates a custom tuned version and digital manuals for their games, along with testing.

Its a matter of how many resources Nintendo can afford to spend on working to prepare and release new Virtual Console releases, compared to how much money they will make.

Rather than just making a generic emulator to play these games, Nintendo creates a custom tuned version and digital manuals for their games, along with testing.

I was talking about Nintendo setting up a proper account system for Wii U and 3DS, not waiting for "the future". However, when it comes to VC stuff, Nintendo needs to step that up too. We are still waiting for Super Mario Bros 3 for some reason.

Grok4Spock

The whole account thing does work somewhat like what everyone wants, but it's still not totally user friendly. Your eShop purchases are tied to your NNID, but that NNID is tied on the front side to the console. I was able to transfer all my purchases from my launch Wii U to my Zelda one with some uhh... Aggressive negotiations over the phone with NOA. Nintendo needs to create a front side method of doing this. Iwata seems to be indicating that this is the future of the Nintendo Network...

boiled goose

good with gravy

if they had a unified account strategy in mind, they wouldn't have to do this every fucking time they launch a new system.

and the fact that you have a huge VC library would make next gen upgrades much more justifiable and palatable instead of having the uncertainty of whether you will have to repurchase your entire library again.

mdtauk

I was talking about Nintendo setting up a proper account system for Wii U and 3DS, not waiting for "the future". However, when it comes to VC stuff, Nintendo needs to step that up too. We are still waiting for Super Mario Bros 3 for some reason.

Well we pretty much have confirmation that this account system is in development. You can already use the same login details with both the 3DS and Wii U. Miiverse is based around this account, and no doubt these upcoming smartdevice apps will use it, and it will grow more robust over the next few years. Set as the core of the next set of Nintendo hardware and QoL platforms and devices.

Of course many will still fall back on complaining about how long it has taken Nintendo to move to a persistent account system as opposed to silo'd hardware.

Nintendo has not been in the ecosystem business unlike Microsoft, Google, and Apple. Nor has it a large scale consumer device unit to rely on for hardware platforms.

It is a small toy/entertainment company who is having to adapt to a world where the "gaming" industry is ceasing to exist.

Personally I see Nintendo as the last pure gaming company and it will be a shame if they are destroyed in this transition. The current gaming industry is a soulless place and games are becoming cookie cutter homogenised things which grow increasingly more distant from what I personally enjoy.

Once the likes of Ace Attorney, Professor Layton, Mario, Zelda, Metroid are gone. I couldn't care less what happens to the industry.

Nyoro SF

Personally I see Nintendo as the last pure gaming company and it will be a shame if they are destroyed in this transition. The current gaming industry is a soulless place and games are becoming cookie cutter homogenised things which grow increasingly more distant from what I personally enjoy.

You need to play more games from different companies on different platforms.

boiled goose

good with gravy
LOL.

This should have happened years ago when the 3DS launched.

Yup... after the online issues with Wii and DS they didn't fucking learn a thing. They should have ran with their lead, instead they had to basically start from scratch with their two next systems.

Well we pretty much have confirmation that this account system is in development. You can already use the same login details with both the 3DS and Wii U. Miiverse is based around this account, and no doubt these upcoming smartdevice apps will use it, and it will grow more robust over the next few years. Set as the core of the next set of Nintendo hardware and QoL platforms and devices.

Of course many will still fall back on complaining about how long it has taken Nintendo to move to a persistent account system as opposed to silo'd hardware.

Nintendo has not been in the ecosystem business unlike Microsoft, Google, and Apple. Nor has it a large scale consumer device unit to rely on for hardware platforms.

It is a small toy/entertainment company who is having to adapt to a world where the "gaming" industry is ceasing to exist.

Once the likes of Ace Attorney, Professor Layton, Mario, Zelda, Metroid are gone. I couldn't care less what happens to the industry.

Quit making excuses for them.

As you point out, you already use the same ID to log into the store on both the Wii U and the 3DS. As I pointed out earlier, Club Nintendo has been tracking your purchases for years so they already know what you have bought, especially if you linked your Club Nintendo account with your NNID. My 3DS and Wii U purchases show up on Club NIntendo together.

What else is needed to make this work like PSN or XBL?

SmithnCo

Well thank god for that. Not being able to sign in on your account on another WiiU has the potential to be frustrating when more multiplayer games come out.

mdtauk

if they had a unified account strategy in mind, they wouldn't have to do this every fucking time they launch a new system.

and the fact that you have a huge VC library would make next gen upgrades much more justifiable and palatable instead of having the uncertainty of whether you will have to repurchase your entire library again.
It would mean more than that. The new hardware would have to be designed so the old content could run on it. They would have to take an approach more in tune with Android, iOS or Windows, where the hardware is abstracted by the OS so old apps/games would work on future devices.

Nintendo is not an OS company, so it is an area they would have to bring in partners and invest a lot of R&D money, time, and staff to accomplish.

At the moment, Wii - Wii U was a big change in architecture. Like moving from iOS to Android.

With their Handheld and Home Console designers and researchers working together as one department, there is a chance this could happen. A decent hypervisor, and driver model, and a move to something like an X86 architecture would be pretty much essential, but that does not seem as feasible for the handheld side.

The very way they make software and consoles would have to change, so it will require time, and would most likely not fully happen until the next consoles are released. at least 2 years minimum.

Amir0x

Banned
the glowing legions of heavenly angels have picked up their golden harps and begun to sing the hymn of the ages, a legendary holy blessing meant to mark this magical moment.

Chindogg

Jesus the reactions.

Before this announcement:

"Get with the times Nintendo! Unified account system!"

After unified account system announced:

"LOL TOO LATE THIS SUCKS FIRE EVERYONE NINTENDO DOOMED"

Seriously what will make you people happy?

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Jesus the reactions.

Before this announcement:

"Get with the times Nintendo! Unified account system!"

After unified account system announced:

"LOL TOO LATE THIS SUCKS FIRE EVERYONE NINTENDO DOOMED"

Seriously what will make you people happy?

I imagine if the account system was out this month or quarter rather than in another 2 years making it a solid decade late and on new hardware too. No assurance past purchases will make the grade and its a "from hereon in" dealio. You'll only have to buy those roms once more, we promise.

Garcia

The current gaming industry is a soulless place and games are becoming cookie cutter homogenised things which grow increasingly more distant from what I personally enjoy.

You can't really consider yourself a gamer having such a shortsighted mindset. If you focus exclusively on Nintendo then you've been (unfortunately) missing some amazing gaming experiences that show up often in every other platform (PC and mobile included).

I'm sorry but this last statement reeks of blind Nintendo fanboy to me. Why is it that only a 'pure' gaming company like Nintendo can only create great games? There are great games on other systems, doesn't matter if they're from a pure gaming company or not. If anything, some of these other companies aren't constantly relying on the same franchise over and over and are working to bring new content for gamers.

mdtauk

I imagine if the account system was out this month or quarter rather than in another 2 years making it a solid decade late and on new hardware too. No assurance past purchases will make the grade and its a "from hereon in" dealio. You'll only have to buy those roms once more, we promise.

The Account system is here already. What people want is to add support for past-purchases, and multi-system login right now.

And in the future transferring purchased content from old hardware to new.

Rolf NB

Quit making excuses for them.

As you point out, you already use the same ID to log into the store on both the Wii U and the 3DS. As I pointed out earlier, Club Nintendo has been tracking your purchases for years so they already know what you have bought, especially if you linked your Club Nintendo account with your NNID. My 3DS and Wii U purchases show up on Club NIntendo together.

What else is needed to make this work like PSN or XBL?
This should not even be a thing. There should be no linking accounts. I'm buying things from a store with my details, that's me, that's my account. Club Nintendo accounts should either not be a thing at all, or be the only account you can possibly have with Nintendo.

Pie and Beans

The Account system is here already. What people want is to add support for past-purchases, and multi-system login right now.

And in the future transferring purchased content from old hardware to new.

That is my definition of an account system circa 2006, yes. What they have right now is username system on the level of a messageboard login and little beyond that and I struggle to call it an "account system" without personal access to my content across platforms.

mdtauk

I'm sorry but this last statement reeks of blind Nintendo fanboy to me. Why is it that only a 'pure' gaming company like Nintendo can only create great games? There are great games on other systems, doesn't matter if they're from a pure gaming company or not. If anything, some of these other companies aren't constantly relying on the same franchise over and over and are working to bring new content for gamers.

I like what I like. Other games I enjoy are Minecraft, Tomb Raider (Legacy, Underworld, Anniversary), Bioshock, Portal 1+2, GTA IV, GTA V, Antichamber, Hitman Absolution, Metal Gear Solid.

Other than that I am not interested in the rest of it.

You can't really consider yourself a gamer having such a shortsighted mindset. If you focus exclusively on Nintendo then you've been (unfortunately) missing some amazing gaming experiences that show up often in every other platform (PC and mobile included).

I haven't considered myself a gamer since the days of the Dreamcast and GameCube came to an end. I played a total of 3 games in the whole of the PS3's lifecycle (MGS 4, LBP 1+2) And a handful of Xbox 360 games. And there is nothing I have seen so far from the Xbox One or PS4 that makes me ever want to own them. So far with the Wii U, I have played Mario Bros U, Mario 3D World, a bit of Wind Waker HD, bits of Nintendo Land, Pikmin 3 - so its already proven itself more than the PS3 ever did.

mugwhump

I wonder if the people that lost their 3DS/Wii U and didn't/couldn't get a police report will be able to recover their purchases.

I just told customer support that I'd lost my Wii U and they transferred my $30 credit to the new one no questions asked, so I think so.

Soroc

I really am shocked that Nintendo won't be able to incorporate universal accounts this generation with wii u and 3ds. I thought what they had done so far was baby steps towards it but why just stop and say fuck it at this point and wait till next gen. There are games I would consider downloading this gen that they are no longer going to get my money for.

boiled goose

good with gravy
It would mean more than that. The new hardware would have to be designed so the old content could run on it. They would have to take an approach more in tune with Android, iOS or Windows, where the hardware is abstracted by the OS so old apps/games would work on future devices.

Nintendo is not an OS company, so it is an area they would have to bring in partners and invest a lot of R&D money, time, and staff to accomplish.

At the moment, Wii - Wii U was a big change in architecture. Like moving from iOS to Android.

With their Handheld and Home Console designers and researchers working together as one department, there is a chance this could happen. A decent hypervisor, and driver model, and a move to something like an X86 architecture would be pretty much essential, but that does not seem as feasible for the handheld side.

The very way they make software and consoles would have to change, so it will require time, and would most likely not fully happen until the next consoles are released. at least 2 years minimum.

Designing their hardware so that it can play legacy titles is not particularly difficult...
yes it would be a change in philosophy and come with some compromises, but given games are the strength of nintendo, they should make it as easy to play them as possible on their hardware.

Chindogg

I really am shocked that Nintendo won't be able to incorporate universal accounts this generation with wii u and 3ds. I thought what they had done so far was baby steps towards it but why just stop and say fuck it at this point and wait till next gen. There are games I would consider downloading this gen that they are no longer going to get my money for.

Please read the slides and what was said. They're implementing an account system so everything is account based regardless of hardware staying with Wii U.

I like what I like. Other games I enjoy are Minecraft, Tomb Raider (Legacy, Underworld, Anniversary), Bioshock, Portal 1+2, GTA IV, GTA V, Antichamber, Hitman Absolution, Metal Gear Solid.

Other than that I am not interested in the rest of it.
And games like these won't ever be created or enjoyable if Nintendo were to fall out of the industry? Why would a 'pure' gaming implant disappearing (due to its own stupid strategies) mean you'd be done with gaming?

Soroc

Please read the slides and what was said. They're implementing an account system so everything is account based regardless of hardware staying with Wii U.

I did read the slides. They say universal accounts like was android and ios have will not come until the future platforms.

mdtauk

Whether or not they make further adaptations to the Wii U and 3DS, is a little unclear, but it has been implied and has not been ruled out.

Fucking finally
PFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF finally took them long enough.

MFW+gif+finally+loads+_2f543067f24d7d003a77337b80be293c.jpeg

loooong way off

He's talking about their next platform, not 3DS and Wii U. :(

I don't know if this has been mentioned yet, but in the context of the rest of the meeting, and the paragraph that the OP qutote came from, it's possible he meant their Future Software Platform

Iwata said:
As I just illustrated, we will manage our relationships with our consumers through NNIDs in a uniform manner, and connecting with our consumers through NNIDs will precisely be our new definition of a Nintendo platform.
In other words, our platform will not be bound to physical hardware and, instead, will be virtualized.

He then referenced part of this new "platform" as being something they wanted to experiment with on the Wii U (this was more directed at sales and discounts though)

Iwata said:
As we continue to redefine our platforms from a device-based system to an account-based system using NNIDs, we will also try to change the way in which dedicated video game systems as well as software are sold that people have come to take for granted.
[...]
Nintendo aims to work on this brand-new sales mechanism in the medium term, but we would like to start experimenting with Wii U at an early stage.

So I would expect that Nintendo would launch this new software platform on the Wii U ahead of the new hardware they release in the coming years to promote a smooth transition from hardware to hardware.

Sv8fBXI.png

couldn't come soon enough.

Top Bottom