• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Iwata says Nintendo will definitively embrace universal accounts in the future

mdtauk

And games like these won't ever be created or enjoyable if Nintendo were to fall out of the industry? Why would a 'pure' gaming implant disappearing (due to its own stupid strategies) mean you'd be done with gaming?

The new Tomb Raider was poor compared to the previous ones. Bioshock Infinate was also not as good as Bioshock. Metal Gear Solid V (both versions of it) are not that appealing to me - but I hold out hope.

The rest I can enjoy on the PC. The games I care about most, the Zelda and Mario games, are the reason I care about games in general. I grew up with them and they were a huge part of my childhood.

Were they to go, there is little else left, and I would not feel passionate about other games. I'd play them only for curiosity and distraction. Not out of love.

I know it sounds soppy, but fuck it, things like that matter to me.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Jesus the reactions.

Before this announcement:

"Get with the times Nintendo! Unified account system!"

After unified account system announced:

"LOL TOO LATE THIS SUCKS FIRE EVERYONE NINTENDO DOOMED"

Seriously what will make you people happy?

If you neglect your job for 5 years and then announce that you're going to finally start making headway in your career in the future, does that suddenly no longer make you a lazy idiot?

boiled goose

good with gravy
Whether or not they make further adaptations to the Wii U and 3DS, is a little unclear, but it has been implied and has not been ruled out.

If they don't implement it this gen, they will have a much rougher transition to next gen. They are basically saying don't invest in our hardware until we (maybe?) get our shit together.

They should aim to do it by this holiday season along with a relaunch of the WiiU and the 3DS.

The new Tomb Raider was poor compared to the previous ones. Bioshock Infinate was also not as good as Bioshock. Metal Gear Solid V (both versions of it) are not that appealing to me - but I hold out hope.

The rest I can enjoy on the PC. The games I care about most, the Zelda and Mario games, are the reason I care about games in general. I grew up with them and they were a huge part of my childhood.

Were they to go, there is little else left, and I would not feel passionate about other games. I'd play them only for curiosity and distraction. Not out of love.

I love nintendo games too. Yet I don't have a 3ds or wiiu because of their ineptitude. I understand that that if they don't change, they will cease to be relevant. People call for nintendo going third party because they dont want to invest in nintendo hardware. they have to make their hardware appealing. WiiU was a disaster from conception to execution. I believe 3DS sellls because of its games in spite of its issues, not because it is particularly appealing.

I did read the slides. They say universal accounts like was android and ios have will not come until the future platforms.

Take a look at the below posts in case you haven't seen them yet.

Guys the "future platform" includes 3DS and WiiU. The paragraph that quote came from includes this slide and as you can see WiiU, 3DS, and smartphones are included in this future platform as well as any future hardware.

vKqxhOl.jpg

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/library/events/140130/03.html

It's not your fault. Whoever did this rush translation job on the presentation made it confusing. Within the original context, it's clear as day that they are talking about the NNID as being their platform going forward. Up until now, the platforms have been separated, but from "here on out" (which is what the Japanese says--not "future") the platform with which Nintendo interacts with its customers will be the NNID to which multiple devices can be connected.

Honestly, it's disappointing that Nintendo can't even get their shit together for a proper English translation. It makes me think they outsourced it to someone with no context or someone who just didn't give a damn. Very disappointing for a company who really needs to get their English messaging clear.

And Iwata says "Our future platform will connect with our consumers based on accounts, not devices."

Part of this strategy is that 3DS got NNIDs as he stated (Step 2), therefore, they're part of this platform.

And the japanese original プラットフォーム is singular - platform.

The slideshow picture has a translation error.

Original - Singular:
23.jpg

You don't understand it.

They don't refer to any hardware device with "platform".

Hear is the exact definition:

"As I just illustrated, we will manage our relationships with our consumers through NNIDs in a uniform manner, and connecting with our consumers through NNIDs will precisely be our new definition of a Nintendo platform.
In other words, our platform will not be bound to physical hardware and, instead, will be virtualized."

From the "Nintendo's Q3 Investors' Meeting slides, now in English" thread:

On Wii U, we launched Nintendo Network IDs, which are abbreviated as NNIDs. This is the first step of our efforts to transform customer relationship management from device-based to account-based, namely, consumer-based, through which we aim to establish long-term relationships with individual consumers, unaffected by the lifespans of our systems. Our future platform will connect with our consumers based on accounts, not devices.

As a second step, Nintendo 3DS became compatible with NNIDs in December 2013. Nintendo 3DS was originally designed for a device-based management system, so making it account-compatible at a later time meant that not all of its features were perfect. However, we feel that we have taken a step in the right direction as we now have a uniformly managed system in which we are connected with our consumers on both handheld devices and consoles.
Of course, when we do launch new hardware in the future, rather than re-creating an installed base from scratch as we did in the past, we wish to build on our existing connections with our consumers through NNIDs and continue to maintain them.

So I guess it's coming to the current consoles including the 3DS.

Soroc

If they don't implement it this gen, they will have a much rougher transition to next gen. They are basically saying don't invest in our hardware until we (maybe?) get our shit together.

They should aim to do it by this holiday season along with a relaunch of the WiiU and the 3DS.

Exactly. I like in the slides how they now understand the importance of universal account systems. But I mean what the hell, drop everything and make it happen ASAP. Otherwise you just keep hurting your brand the longer you don't have this fixed.

mdtauk

One problem with this, is how will they implement it with the next hardware. I find it hard to imagine their next hardware devices wont be running an x86 system to bring it in line with the other platforms.

The 3DS and Wii U are very different, and so whatever they develop would be integrated into future hardware, but would have to be tacked on to the current devices. And software probably wont be carried over unless they implement some kind of BC mode using existing components. Like the Wii mode on the Wii U.

boiled goose

good with gravy
Exactly. I like in the slides how they now understand the importance of universal account systems. But I mean what the hell, drop everything and make it happen ASAP. Otherwise you just keep hurting your brand the longer you don't have this fixed.

Yup. To me it should be their first priority.

i have been calling for it since the moment 3DS was announced with inadequate services. It is a huge blow to both consumer and publisher confidence.

One problem with this, is how will they implement it with the next hardware. I find it hard to imagine their next hardware devices wont be running an x86 system to bring it in line with the other platforms.

The 3DS and Wii U are very different, and so whatever they develop would be integrated into future hardware, but would have to be tacked on to the current devices. And software probably wont be carried over unless they implement some kind of BC mode using existing components. Like the Wii mode on the Wii U.

Can 3DS and WiiU play NES and SNES games?
The issue is not hardware. It is the philosophy of how to deliver the content.

Listen, I understand nintendo's hesitation with releasing VC games for cheap. Why? They eat into their new game sales I'm sure.
I don't think NES games should be $1 like some people have clamored for. What they should be is attached to a unified nintendo account. That way I have an incentive to keep buying and upgrading nintendo hardware.

Also, the wii mode thing is a separate issue. You dont see people complaining too much that the wiiU doesnt play GC games. It could take a few gens for your recent gen games to be playable on the latest hardware. same with controller incompatibilities like n64 games on 3DS. what matters is that they are a part of your account. If you want to play them, you can buy the hardware. Since it is all linked through my nintendo account I don't feel like I am being ripped off everytime I buy new hardware.

Soroc

@LegendOfFalcon

Thank you for the clarification but all this shows me is they are happy to have NNID on both current consoles. Theses consoles are still hardware ID'd and not account ID'd although no matter how much Nintendo dresses it up. Until they tell me they will get rid of hardware ID for the current consoles I've stopped purchasing content digitally from them.

Bob White

Personally I see Nintendo as the last pure gaming company and it will be a shame if they are destroyed in this transition. The current gaming industry is a soulless place and games are becoming cookie cutter homogenised things which grow increasingly more distant from what I personally enjoy.

Buy a pc. Seriously, gems left and right for dirt cheap. And I'm not talking about AAA games going for cheap on a steam sale, I'm talking about games like FTL or Valdis Story. Shit that is pure gaming. To say the industry as a whole is becoming cookie cutter means you aren't looking very hard.

This is cookie cutter?

http://store.steampowered.com/app/252030/

Accepted. To each their own. I complain about Nimtemdo a lot but do enjoy their games. Current playing through Sticker Star as my first Paper Mario game and am having fun. A bit tired of all of the mainline Mario pimping over the last few years and over reliance on things like a main Mario followed by Kart followed by Zelda etc. plan to get a Vita soon to try out games like Tearaway. You should perhaps look out for quirky/good games on other platforms. Just because you didn't grow up with them, doesn't meant they can't be enjoyed. Nostalgia's great and all, but it's currently doing nothing for Wii U.

@LegendOfFalcon

Thank you for the clarification but all this shows me is they are happy to have NNID on both current consoles. Theses consoles are still hardware ID'd and not account ID'd although no matter how much Nintendo dresses it up. Until they tell me they will get rid of hardware ID for the current consoles I've stopped purchasing content digitally from them.

You are correct that is what we have today, device-centric system. It looks like that once they complete this transitional period it would be NNID-centric, as in account ID'd. I think we've lost Nintendo's original meaning through the translation. What you want is exactly what they are saying they are working on and that includes Wii U and 3DS. How long before its released? Well that's a different story..

mdtauk

Buy a pc. Seriously, gems left and right for dirt cheap. And I'm not talking about AAA games going for cheap on a steam sale, I'm talking about games like FTL or Valdis Story. Shit that is pure gaming. To say the industry as a whole is becoming cookie cutter means you aren't looking very hard.

This is cookie cutter?

http://store.steampowered.com/app/252030/

Indie Games is its own thing IMO - And apart from in-app purchases, and devalued prices, I have no issues with those titles. It is anything AAA and first-person-shooter based I can not stand!

boiled goose

good with gravy
You are correct that is what we have today, device-centric system. It looks like that once they complete this transitional period it would be NNID-centric, as in account ID'd. I think we've lost Nintendo's original meaning through the translation. What you want is exactly what they are saying they are working on and that includes Wii U and 3DS. How long before its released? Well that's a different story..

from what the rest of the quote said (smooth gen transitions, etc.) it is clear they have their thoughts in the right place regarding unified accounts. What is unclear is whether they will start with 3ds and wiiu or wait till the next systems. (the latter would be a huge mistake imo)

Bob White

Indie Games is its own thing IMO - And apart from in-app purchases, and devalued prices, I have no issues with those titles. It is anything AAA and first-person-shooter based I can not stand!

Well, I agree. Just think of AAA gaming as top 40 bullshit like Justin Beiber. Just because that shit is popular doesn't mean you have to stop listening to Radiohead.

from what the rest of the quote said (smooth gen transitions, etc.) it is clear they have their thoughts in the right place regarding unified accounts. What is unclear is whether they will start with 3ds and wiiu or wait till the next systems. (the latter would be a huge mistake imo)

Yes it would be a huge mistake to wait for future hardware. And yes it isn't so clear what they mean, especially because of the translation error. I don't think its fair to assume they are skipping Wii U and 3DS when it appears by "future platform" they mean the NNID platform. If NNID is to become the new platform, then why wouldn't that include 3DS and Wii U? Both of those devices currently use the NNID.

Xun

If you can log into Miiverse on the web using your NNID, I see no reason why we won't see it happen this generation.

Bad translation is at play here in my eyes.

Paskil

Hurry up already, Ninty. I have so much disposable income to give you...once you implement a real account system.

"We got to make them rebuy all the virtual console game one more time."

I paid $1.50 today to download A Link to the Past to my Wii U. I really don't think that's too bad. I get to play it on the Gamepad and I get a save state that wasn't present on the original version on the Wii. Not having to dig out a Wiimote and a classic controller is worth $1.50.

Anyway, there is no guarantee that your VC games will transfer between handheld and console, like Sony does, with a unified account system.

boiled goose

good with gravy
I paid $1.50 today to download A Link to the Past to my Wii U. I really don't think that's too bad. I get to play it on the Gamepad and I get a save state that wasn't present on the original version on the Wii. Not having to dig out a Wiimote and a classic controller is worth $1.50.

Anyway, there is no guarantee that your VC games will transfer between handheld and console, like Sony does, with a unified account system.

If there is no 'cross play' then it is not a unified account. Again, it is going from a hardware centric to account centric philosophy. You dont buy itunes music for computer or for your phone, you buy it on itunes.

Same would apply here. You buy things for your nintendo account. It is ok if some things play on some hardware and not others, just like you cant play movies on an ipod shuffle.

The distinction between handheld and console is fundamentally hardware centric. What if they make a tablet? what if they have multiple handhelds? what if they make a VC box? again, you buy it for nintendo, you play it on compatible nintendo systems.

If you talk about 'crossplay' you are already thinking about it incorrectly.

Nintendo shouldn't forget thinking about a good online service, too.
Nintendo Network is pretty good already but it can be better.
Come up with something equivalent to PS+ and XBL Gold, with free games every month (even if it's just VC titles, I would be okay with that).
Call it "Nintendo More" or something Engrish-y like that, I don't care.
Do more sales on the eShop, like Valve does with Steam.
Grab a few more indies, too. Get yourself a Minecraft Wii U Edition. Notch seems to be all for it, just approach him already.
And give 3rd parties better support. If I read that 3rd parties get answers to their problems three weeks after Nintendo was asked what to do, then that's clearly too long. Give information about hardware and software solutions to your HQs in USA and Europe, so problems with your hardware can get accessed quickly, instead of having to send the request to Japan, have it translated, have it solved, translate it back to the former language and then have it sent back to whoever sent it to you in the first place. I mean, really? I don't know how Microsoft or Sony address problems 3rd parties have with their respective consoles, but I imagine it being much faster.

Just support 3rd parties already. Or do it better. I really like the Wii U, but I totally don't like it if 3rd parties jump off of your console because your hardware support is shit.

Azull

You know even though mh4u got annouced I still can't bring myself to buy anything Nintendo till they figure it out. At least they aren't as bad as Sony when it comes to the vita...my poor poor vita...

If there is no 'cross play' then it is not a unified account. Again, it is going from a hardware centric to account centric philosophy. You dont buy itunes music for computer or for your phone, you buy it on itunes.

Same would apply here. You buy things for your nintendo account. It is ok if some things play on some hardware and not others, just like you cant play movies on an ipod shuffle.

The distinction between handheld and console is fundamentally hardware centric. What if they make a tablet? what if they have multiple handhelds? what if they make a VC box? again, you buy it for nintendo, you play it on compatible nintendo systems.

If you talk about 'crossplay' you are already thinking about it incorrectly.

I get what you are saying but I am thinking of it like this. Well, I am assuming you mean cross buy instead of cross play?

If my PS3 breaks, no problem, I can buy another and redownload my games and I don't have to beg Sony to make it happen. I simply activate the new console. I don't expect Persona 4 Golden to play on my PS3 though.

If my Vita breaks...same thing only I don't expect to play Final Fantasy XIII on my Vita.

With Nintendo, all I ask is that if my Wii U breaks, I can buy another and redownload my games simply by logging into my account and/or by activating that console. I don't expect (but would appreciate) cross buy and I don't define a unified account based on cross buy.

Sure, some games are available on both 3DS and Wii U and it's great that Sony has cross buy for some games but they don't for all. For example, Rainbow Moon is not cross buy but I think it is cross play.

I also don't see the problem with having my handheld games and console game stored under the same NNID. Does that not qualify as unified?

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Figure it will come this generation, but it should have been there no later than Wii U launch. I expect implementation of a half-featured service while Nintendo acts like they've single handedly solved the world's most complicated puzzle.

This shouldve been implemented years ago. I really hope he doesn't mean that it will take until the next Nintendo console to implement this.

I get what you are saying but I am thinking of it like this. Well, I am assuming you mean cross buy instead of cross play?

If my PS3 breaks, no problem, I can buy another and redownload my games and I don't have to beg Sony to make it happen. I simply activate the new console. I don't expect Persona 4 Golden to play on my PS3 though.

If my Vita breaks...same thing only I don't expect to play Final Fantasy XIII on my Vita.

With Nintendo, all I ask is that if my Wii U breaks, I can buy another and redownload my games simply by logging into my account and/or by activating that console. I don't expect (but would appreciate) cross buy and I don't define a unified account based on cross buy.

Sure, some games are available on both 3DS and Wii U and it's great that Sony has cross buy for some games but they don't for all. For example, Rainbow Moon is not cross buy but I think it is cross play.

I also don't see the problem with having my handheld games and console game stored under the same NNID. Does that not qualify as unified?

I believe in context of the response to your response, he was referring to the VC.

You should be able to buy a game once, and as long as the hardware you are attempting to play that "VC" game in is capable of playing it (such as the Wii U playing 3DS or Wii games & the 3DS being able to play anything from the DS and all that came before it) then it should.

At least in a perfect world, that how it should work. And reasonably, most VC games are not hardware intensive, there is no reason that a majority of them shouldn't work on both the Wii U and the 3DS.

Figure it will come this generation, but it should have been there no later than Wii U launch. I expect implementation of a half-featured service while Nintendo acts like they've single handedly solved the world's most complicated puzzle.
The good ol'nintendo way
Edit: sorry for the dp

EVH

Too fucking late. I don't think its hard to ask for a company to build something for you in some months. They did that for MiiVerse and it worked fine.

All this Nintendo mentality is retarded and they deserve to be in the situation they are. Sad to see they weren unable to provide basic service almost 10 years before.

Here's hoping Nintendo figure out that complicated network problem they have been stumped on for 8 years, now they have overcome this universal account problem

Nessus

Universal accounts aren't very useful if they're going to re-launch the damn Virtual Console with every system.

Jigorath

Banned
Should have been implemented years ago, now they're waiting for their next platform? Sigh. Nintendo gonna Nintendo I guess.

Guys the "future platform" includes 3DS and WiiU. The paragraph that quote came from includes this slide and as you can see WiiU, 3DS, and smartphones are included in this future platform as well as any future hardware.

vKqxhOl.jpg

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/library/events/140130/03.html

I'll quote it again. They mean the WiiU and 3DS as well.

I personally don't really care much about having a unified account since I don't replay games, but it's something that should have been done long ago to please everyone and give them peace of mind.

Log4Girlz

I'm waiting for Iwata to announce he's created his first ever email account.

Top Bottom