• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Iwata to become Nintendo of America CEO, NoA CEO promoted to NCL Managing Director

Status
Not open for further replies.

ffdgh

....I have no freaking idea how this will turn out anymore.
KuGsj.gif

This'll be fun to watch.

Psi

This is like that moment in Star Wars where the guy says to Darth Vader:

"...the Emperor is coming here!?"

The guy probably being Reggie in this case.

kubus

So.... Satoru Shibata is CEO of Nintendo of Europe, and Satoru Iwata is CEO of Nintendo of Japan and America?

Nintendo Super Satoru Bros. GET!

THIS IS A GREAT THING.

No more paying for exclusives like Pandora's Tower, The Last Story, and Xenoblade among many others (Iwata listed as Exec. Producer), and then not giving them a timely, broad release in North America.

GG-Duo

Can anyone comment on Tatsumi Kimishima's performance?

Paging Shikamaru Ninja, paging Shikamaru Ninja on what this means in accordance to Nintendo's recent realignments...

I don't get how this changes anything, really. Wasn't NOA just an NOJ puppet anyway? That's what GAF told me.
In many ways yes. NoA is a marketing and distribution arm basically. Having one man at the head of both though streamlines the whole thing I would imagine, meaning his vision or direction is reflected much faster instead of through a dozen other people who are waiting for permission. If the man wants a global launch for some game, or a unified strategy across two territories, he will get it.

AzaK

Having Iwata more in direct control of NOA instead of needing to pass through multiple layers of brass-obsfucation will only be good for us. Having NOJ and NOA more in sync and globalized will be excellent!

Who knows. With Iwata's mistakes lately it may not be. I have no idea if the current CEO fought against the stupidity or added to it.

Iwata is becoming like Palpatine.

He probably staged the 3DS and Wii U launches.

From now on he'll be conducting the Nintendo Directs whilst wearing a hood.

I can just imagine Reggie's reaction when he found this out from Bill Trinen.

"A Sith. Lord!"

I quite expect Miyamoto to confront Iwata in the Nintendo thrown room following the death of Reggie at the hands of Iwata/Trinen.

Iwata: Laughs

big youth

THIS IS A GREAT THING.

No more paying for exclusives like Pandora's Tower, The Last Story, and Xenoblade among many others (Iwata listed as Exec. Producer), and then not giving them a timely, broad release in North America.
that obviously had more to do with the value of yen. now that it has dropped we'll see more games localized, more quickly

Toski

i kinda doubt it. the dude is 62 years old.

So they're bringing in a 62 year old to replace two other execs that just retired, while Iwata takes on more duties.

If thats the case, I hope Nintendo has some young guys that are ready to take on exec jobs.

Dang0

So, if I understand this right this basically means that Tatsumi Kimishima and Satoru Iwata have swapped their CEO titles, but Iwata's still Global President. Have I got it right?

Darryl

Banned
I don't get how this changes anything, really. Wasn't NOA just an NOJ puppet anyway? That's what GAF told me.

i think the problem was that no one in charge of overseeing the entire american market had any authority whatsoever. now instead of all of the minor divisions reporting to guys who have no authority, they report directly to the authority.

or who knows, maybe it was all miscommunications of authority. maybe nintendo of japan wanted the american division to have authority (to do things like build studios and respond to market conditions) and they never took it, so this is an emergency measure to get things back under control.

MormaPope

Banned
Iwata is becoming like Palpatine.

He probably staged the 3DS and Wii U launches.

From now on he'll be conducting the Nintendo Directs whilst wearing a hood.

I can just imagine Reggie's reaction when he found this out from Bill Trinen.

"A Sith. Lord!"

I quite expect Miyamoto to confront Iwata in the Nintendo thrown room following the death of Reggie at the hands of Iwata/Trinen.

Iwata: Laughs

The plan has already been initiated: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k08pQDoPmXc

There are things far worse than death. Reggie got to Trinen first.

lobdale

3 ft, coiled to the sky
So, if I understand this right this basically means that Tatsumi Kimishima and Satoru Iwata have swapped their CEO titles, but Iwata's still Global President. Have I got it right?

Kimishima is being "promoted" from CEO of the worthless regional American division to a position below CEO in the superior NCL, to assume the responsibilities of two retiring execs. Iwata's taking over the America CEO duties in addition to still being "global president."

Rhindle

Don't see what the big deal is. NOA and NOE just do what Japan tells them to anyway.
Also not seeing the big deal here. Kimishima got his ass kicked back to HQ, but I doubt he had much authority to begin with.

They didn't have anyone lined up as a replacement, so they threw another title at Iwata.

It's only significant if it is a harbinger of further things to come.

neogaf calls for Iwata's resignation, Nintendo responds.

A vocal minority.
Most of us are upset with NOA's policies, not NOJ's.
Iwata can't rush games to release. That's never been a good policy. Ever. It's always better to release games when they are ready. People who buy Nintendo systems in the first year should expect the drought.

sakipon

i think the problem was that no one in charge of overseeing the entire american market had any authority whatsoever. now instead of all of the minor divisions reporting to guys who have no authority, they report directly to the authority.

or who knows, maybe it was all miscommunications of authority. maybe nintendo of japan wanted the american division to have authority (to do things like build studios and respond to market conditions) and they never took it, so this is an emergency measure to get things back under control.

This idea crossed my mind aswell. I hope it's not that bad, but could be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom