• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Iwata to become Nintendo of America CEO, NoA CEO promoted to NCL Managing Director

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shiggy

Makes sense. Now Iwata may be forced to try to understand Western markets and adjust the firm's Japan-focussed mindset. I doubt it's going to happen though. At best, we might see a better treatment of US customers.

Darryl

Banned
why not hire someone with some experience with the market?

who else could qualify? they hire another pepsi exec? they got two products to sell. NoA doesn't need complicated leadership. they don't need someone big with their name on the line trying to shake things up. they don't need anyone who can be outside hired mid-management.

What...wait...what?

I guess NoA could use some shaking up, but this is such a bizarre way to go about it. Iwata seems out of touch with the Western market so maybe this is a calculated move to extend his reach.

StayDead

I expect Iwata to get ill from all of the stress. No way can someone work so hard.

I think he shouldn't have too much of an issue doing both as he somewhat treats both as the same company. He's also got a lot of staff in both regions he can delegate to too.

JoeInky

This is a great day to join the 3DS masterrace! I found a brand new 3DS XL on craigslist for $125 an hour ago! Hopefully, Iwata tries to bring some of dem NOE deals over here.

I'd wait and see if NoA actually gets the colours EU and Japan get before buying a 3DS, the selection in America is pretty small compared to what we get.

?oe?oe

iE1qdQ9o5XhXT.jpg

He's got some pimp handing to do!

meppi

Good for him. :)

Nintendo Europe seems to be in great hands with Satoru Shibata, so I have no worries there at all.

Yea well with Iwata at ceo doesnt it seem more likely that there will be less constraints? This is the good news I believe

Maybe, depends on how well he can listen to the people who are working underneath him at NOA.

Iwata is going to take on a whole long list of jobs that it'll take half of Nintendo's E3 conference just rattle them off when they invite him on to the stage.

If this years E3 ends up being like last years, then we probably won't see Iwata on stage at all. Yeah, outside of a video appearance, Iwata was completely absent from E3 2012. Instead, Nintendo just pissed away their entire conference showing us nothing, while Iwata kept all the good surprises for his Nintendo Direct feeds.

Why they even showed up for E3 2012 was beyond me?

where before kimishima oversaw every decision and reported it to iwata.

Now I didn't think of that... Maybe taking out kimishima as a middle man will be a good thing overall?

AniHawk

i think his first move should be to buy monster games and rename them ead northfield. then he should close retro, buy canada, and rename next-level games retro studios (he could do it because he'd own canada).

QaaQer

who else could qualify? they hire another pepsi exec? they got two products to sell. NoA doesn't need complicated leadership. they don't need someone big with their name on the line trying to shake things up. they don't need anyone who can be outside hired mid-management.

Dunno, maybe someone like Jason Rubin or a Mark Cerney kinda guy? at least someone who is willing to live in North America. I really don't understand the thinking here. shrug.

Edit, it will probably save them some money though, maybe thats it.

Tookay

i think his first move should be to buy monster games and rename them ead northfield. then he should close retro, buy canada, and rename next-level games retro studios (he could do it because he'd own canada).

Your hatred for Retro never ceases to amuse.

tsab

ALL REGIONS RAN BY SATORUS!!!! HELL YEAH

I can't comment for Reggie but Shibata has done a great work at NOE.

Dang0

Dunno, maybe someone like Jason Rubin or a Mark Cerney kinda guy? at least someone who is willing to live in North America. I really don't understand the thinking here. shrug.

Edit, it will probably save them some money though, maybe thats it.

My guess is that this is temporary, while they look for a suitable replacement.

GetemMa

Maybe it'll mean NoA stops sucking so much.

Maybe.

Let's hope so.

This is only my personal experience but IMO, Nintendo advertising is non-existent in my area (NYC)

Then there is the issue of fans having to beg for localization, the lack of variety of HW colors when Japan and even Europe get more, and a lack of understanding of western tastes.

It just seems to me that NOA has taken their audience for granted after the Wii/DS and they are still operating in that mindset.

WiiU advertising is practically non-existent and the ones they have put out have been poorly conceived IMO.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
please no more region locking please no more region locking please no more region locking please no more region locking please no more region locking please no more region locking please no more region locking please no more region locking
:( i wish

D-e-f-

Banned
This is either the best move or the worst move.

Also people expecting him to resign must be furious.

Iwata: Resign as CEO? How about I become CEO of NoA in addition? (laughs)

This whole thing is so incredibly funny :D

This move is totally in line with their restructuring and partnership movement. Their restated commitment to collaborating with outside companies for development and global distribution should now become a little easier. I hope this means we don't have to fight a battle like Operation Rainfall again.

PhantomR

Banned
One of the VPs here in RWC moved on to Redmond. There's been a bit of shuffling going on, though none of it terribly useful imo. The problem with NOA isn't upper management, it's the middle management.

Um, no that's really not accurate. You're telling me that the problem is with Dan Adelman and Bill Trinen?

Lets not be silly here.

Terrell

Sounds to me like Kimishima was doing NoA no favors, but he was good at certain things, so they threw him at the corporate admin department at NCL to save face and keep him at Nintendo.

As I understand it, the CEO does strategy planning and policy while a COO handles the day-to-day and reports to the CEO.

So with all this in mind, doesn't this mean they shuffled out Reggie's superior.

Starting to look more and more like this Kimishima fellow holds equal blame as to the state of NoA.

Sounds to me like Kimishima was doing NoA no favors, but he was good at certain things, so they threw him at the corporate admin department at NCL to save face and keep him at Nintendo.

As I understand it, the CEO does strategy planning and policy while a COO handles the day-to-day and reports to the CEO.

So with all this in mind, doesn't this mean they shuffled out Reggie's superior.

Starting to look more and more like this Kimishima fellow holds equal blame as to the state of NoA.

Given that Kimishima is the one guy being flown out of the country only for his boss to say, "Fine. I'll do your job for you.", I'd say that your assessment of the situation sounds likely.

Prax

I said wow.

Hopefully this means good things for the future.. and more localization efforts of previously Japan-only games?
More Fire Emblem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom