• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jürgen Klopp stepping down as Liverpool Coach at seasons end

Z O N E

Liverpool will probably try to go for Jose or Xabi if they're available at the end of the season.

Then you have Newcastle who will probably try to go for someone more experienced too, now that they have the oil money.

It'll be interesting to see what happens at the end of the season.

DKehoe

Liverpool will probably try to go for Jose or Xabi if they're available at the end of the season.

Then you have Newcastle who will probably try to go for someone more experienced too, now that they have the oil money.

I can't see Liverpool going for 2024 Jose Mourinho. I could see them trying to get Xabi Alonso though, especially with Ancelotti having renewed his contract with Real Madrid.

Last edited:

tommycronin

Banned

8c3mtaX.gif

cormack12

Gold Member
The city is bleeding right now. Quality football managers are not in supply. Salah will probably be gone as well. I think Alonso is not better than an appointment of Gerrard. Be morbidly interesting to see who comes in.

Papa_Wisdom

Didn’t watch the whole vid but sounds like he’s tired of club management. Who knows maybe an international job might be in his future (unless stated otherwise in the vid) If the FA has any sense they would start talking to him about the England job after Southgate goes which look like it might be soon (unless the German FA decides they would like him). Either way not a Liverpool fan but he always seemed like a good guy!

Edit: alternatively if Newcastle got rid of Howe I wouldn’t mind seeing him as England coach on a long term contract I think he would be good for young manager to have time to build up a team around his style.

Last edited:
Alonso's the most likely I reckon, if of course they can prize him out of Germany (or it wouldn't surprise if they stuck with the German formula and tried to pull in Naglesmann - could be good timing post-Euro's). Regardless, stylistically I think they need someone relatively young/dynamic - Gerrard's not there yet (and he wears too many tones of dun). The likes of Mourinho and Conte and absolutely not the right fit for this team. Anyway, big loss for the league I reckon - love/hate Liverpool, Klopp was certainly good to have around.

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
Fair play to him, he owes them nothing.

Germany GAF - will be be taking the German national team job?

Lady Bird

Matsuno's Goebbels
I can't see Liverpool going for 2024 Jose Mourinho. I could see them trying to get Xabi Alonso though, especially with Ancelotti having renewed his contract with Real Madrid.
Ancelotti couldn't take Everton out of mid table and was considered a washed coach. He went to Real Madrid, and won La Liga and Champion's League.

This to say that "2024 Mourinho" doesn't mean much. He took a crippled-by-injuries with no money to spend Roma team to two european finals and won one of them. Given the context, it was impressive.

Last edited:

DKehoe

I'd believe it more if it contained a few 'erms'
I think you will find he has a mastery of the English language

Ancelotti couldn't take Everton out of mid table and was considered a washed coach. He went to Real Madrid, and won La Liga and Champion's League.

This to say that "2024 Mourinho" doesn't mean much. He took a crippled-by-injuries with no money to spend Roma team to two european finals and won one of them. Given the context, it was impressive.
How do you think he is going do next season at Roma?

I'm not saying Mourinho is totally done as a manager. Clearly there are still environments he can work within on a short-term basis. But I think Jose Mourinho is not who you should be appointing if you are looking to build something long term and compete at the highest level. That being said I think it would be funny to watch things play out if Liverpool did appoint him. So I'm all for it.

Last edited:

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins

Xabi will be the next Liverpool manager. I'd put money on it.

He's doing amazing in Germany (Leverkusen are top of the league currently) and is a Liverpool legend.

If he's not the next Liverpool manager I'll suck myself off.

Nitty_Grimes

Him or de Zebri at Brighton unless citeh already have him tapped up to take over from pep.

TransTrender

Gold Member
Oi!
U gaut a licoinse 4 dat m8te?!
Playin footie dem be da best gayme for da conquered culture m8.
No skin or tiddies amirite?!
Sory da prayer be callin. Should be killin meself rn.

Laptop1991

You have to get his replacement spot on. Look at Man Utd with Moyes just cos Fergie wanted another jock in charge.
yeah true, but sometimes the replacements arn't available, i remember Souness replacing Dalglish, it didn't work out and Fergie was always going to be hard to replace at United, but i hope LFC do get it right, otherwise less chance of winning trophies.

Last edited:

Monkfish877

Wanted Klopp at United, will never forgive that clown Woodward for ruining it with his disneyland nonsense. Elite manager.

Marvel14

Banned
The city is bleeding right now. Quality football managers are not in supply. Salah will probably be gone as well. I think Alonso is not better than an appointment of Gerrard. Be morbidly interesting to see who comes in.
You don't know much about football then. Alonso is currently topping the Bundesliga with an unfancied "Neverkusen", Gerrard got the sack without completing a full season with Aston Villa...and is currently midtable in the Saudi league.

Hohenheim

Absolute legend. So sad that he's leaving. Fingers crossed they finish this season in style, making his last season one to remember.
As for the sucessor, my bet (and hope) is Xabi Alonso. Guy's young and hungry. Not lots of experience, but has proven himself in a tough job in Germany, doing amazing there. And he knows the club in and out, being a legend there himself.

If they get Mourinho i'll stop watching / following football. I'd rather see them gettin a vino from the local pub than that burned out cunt.

Nitty_Grimes

Mourinho is finished - he just needs to go and manage Portugal for the next Euros / World Cup cycle (4 years max) then retire.

Last edited:

cormack12

Gold Member
You don't know much about football then. Alonso is currently topping the Bundesliga with an unfancied "Neverkusen", Gerrard got the sack without completing a full season with Aston Villa...and is currently midtable in the Saudi league.
The point is both are stupid. How mamy games has Alonso managed at this level again? He would be behind the Hoffenheim manager etc.

It would be an emotional appointment, not an intelligent one

Marvel14

Banned
Ĺĺ
The point is both are stupid. How mamy games has Alonso managed at this level again? He would be behind the Hoffenheim manager etc.

It would be an emotional appointment, not an intelligent one
By that logic Arteta was even stupider as he had zero experience as manager when he was appointed by Arsenal.

Don't give up your day job.

cormack12

Gold Member
Ĺĺ

By that logic Arteta was even stupider as he had zero experience as manager when he was appointed by Arsenal.

Don't give up your day job.
Arsenal were already in ruin. They didn't have an instant demand to carry on greatness. Sure, if you want to wait years and maybe Alonso would be a success, then do it. We are not in that position. De Zerbi would have a stronger shout, even Graham fucking Potter would. What about Brendan Rodgers etc.

Short sighted. Blinded by heart eyes for previous players. Just like those who dragged Fowler back for the second stint when it was clear he was done. Keep your shit ideas away from my club.

Nitty_Grimes

Potter Liverpool? No chance. Crystal Palace is his level at best. He'll be fighting Steve Cooper to take over from old Roy of the Rovers in June.

Last edited:

cormack12

Gold Member
Potter Liverpool? No chance. Crystal Palace is his level at best. He'll be fighting Steve Cooper to take over from old Roy of the Rovers in June.
Basically the only reason people are wanking over Alonso is because that TikTok video of him in training went viral.

I liked Xabi, great player. As a manager, untested and unproven. All I'm saying is that he's had about 40 games in the Bundesliga. Are we meant to think that this is the criteria for the next manager to come in and continue the last 8 years of success?

Now sure, stranger things have happened but on the balance of risk and experience are we really going to do this again? Would we consider Ranieri for example. Just look how many ex reds are in management roles, whether it's the reserves, U20s, international etc.

Having said that I'm looking round the other names of experience and it's not looking good. Xavi will be available, Ancelotti is never a bad bet (unless you're Everton. But then you have much worse problems). De Zerbi is interesting but a shade below where Rodgers was when he came to us imo. Emery would be a good shout but failing at Arsenal isn't going to endear him to the kop faithful. Simeone would be an interesting bet but I think we'd have to become cunts like the 2000 Mourinho Chelsea. Which brings us to Jose, I think he'd do well, the whole personality cult at Liverpool would serve him well. But he's a massive twat.

Nitty_Grimes

Dick walking out on Villa would be mental - they think he's the next messiah however he was never given enough time at the arse, he's won trophies wherever he has gone since.

Garibaldi

While I'm over the moon the whingey sod is on his way, I'm not look forward to the absolute wet wipe love in well have till the end of the season. Can't stand Liverpool and the rest of the cartel 6's dominance. Looking forward to us (NUFC) and Villa upsetting the applecart in the next decade. As soon as they drop this FFP bollocks and let us compete.

Bye Jürgen. Take Salah with you too.

Marvel14

Banned
Arsenal were already in ruin. They didn't have an instant demand to carry on greatness. Sure, if you want to wait years and maybe Alonso would be a success, then do it. We are not in that position. De Zerbi would have a stronger shout, even Graham fucking Potter would. What about Brendan Rodgers etc.

Short sighted. Blinded by heart eyes for previous players. Just like those who dragged Fowler back for the second stint when it was clear he was done. Keep your shit ideas away from my club.
Brendan Rodgers? .

and the same Potter who flunked at Chelsea?

No you keep your shitty ideas from my club.

You're a Man uTD fan clearly. I also thought Solksjaer should have stayed as long as possible but not because he was any good.

Last edited:
Top Bottom