• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

J. Cole - Cole World: The Sideline Story - 9-27-11 |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.
Glad NC finally got someone reppin it! Can't wait for this album! Been following Cole since Lights Please came out (It actually got a decent amount of radio play in NC)

neptunes

DeadFalling said:
Glad NC finally got someone reppin it! Can't wait for this album! Been following Cole since Lights Please came out (It actually got a decent amount of radio play in NC)
NC didn't support Little brother?

Acid08

Banned
wenis said:
Made some alternate album art for you guys:
iJIdv0haELe6f.jpg
For real, I'm going to use this as the cover art. So fucking awesome.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
ReconYoda said:
Cant Get Enough isnt bad for what it is. Shit is a necessary evil if you plan to ever sell more than 150k first week.
A "classic" album doesn't have a song like Can't Get Enough on it.

Stat Flow said:

Tupac said:
"yo if you wanna make your money, you gotta rap for the bitches. Don't rap for the niggas, rap for the bitches. The bitches will buy your records, and the niggas want what the bitches want."

Album is going to bomb and will only further proof Jay's inability to help cultivate his prodigies.

Memphis Bleek is! Memphis Bleek is! Memphis Bleek is.....still a weed carrier.

Recon

Banned
Stat Flow said:

Pac had songs like that. I consider Makaveli a classic, but it had Toss It Up. Obviously i dont consider Cole in the same league as Pac. Also, im not saying Cole is gonna drop a classic. I just want a good album. The last time i could call a debut a classic would be College Dropout and Food & Liquor.

Recon

Banned
Cole will do around 150k-250k. He will go gold. He will release a sophomore album on Roc. Im positive about all those.

overcast

PhoenixDark said:
I eagerly await his sophomore release on E1 Records
Ouch.

Lol the Wenis art is some gold. Damn.

Really considering actually purchasing this album, been a while since I've said that.

kodecraft

ReconYoda said:
Cole will do around 150k-250k. He will go gold. He will release a sophomore album on Roc. Im positive about all those.

Interesting....I want Cole to go independent after the ROC Nation hype simmers down.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
kodecraft said:
Interesting....I want Cole to go independent after the ROC Nation hype simmers down.
...why?

Jay already said Roc Nation is a platform for building artists the way they see fit, not constructing pop machines. What good reason does Cole have to turn away from all that he has now, especially if Cole World does well?

Kusagari

ReconYoda said:

On what basis do you think Cole will open to so much more than Big Sean? The high end of your numbers is more than Rolling Papers debuted at.

kodecraft

enzo_gt said:
...why?

Jay already said Roc Nation is a platform for building artists the way they see fit, not constructing pop machines. What good reason does Cole have to turn away from all that he has now, especially if Cole World does well?

Jay says alot of things....so we'll see....what is doing well to you? I for one will do my part and purchasing the album.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
kodecraft said:
Jay says alot of things....so we'll see....what is doing well to you? I for one will do my part and purchasing the album.
Over 150k is doing well for Cole IMO. I believe in ReconYoda's predictions, though if he tops 200k I'll be surprised. In The Morning was huge, moreso than his last two singles, people forget.

People usually leave major labels cause their albums get stuck in limbo or they're not getting paid, neither of which are scenarios I see happening on Roc Nation. I really don't think Cole will go the Bleek route.

If he goes independent, what will improve for him? Nothing, Cole is already uncomfortable putting out loads of songs and excersizes more quality control then all of his peers out there. If he goes independent, his buzz will go from the little whisper it is now to a silence.

Recon

Banned
enzo_gt said:
Over 150k is doing well.

People usually leave major labels cause their albums get stuck in limbo or they're not getting paid, neither of which are scenarios I see happening on Roc Nation. I really don't think Cole will go the Bleek route.

If he goes independent, what will improve for him? Nothing, Cole is already uncomfortable putting out loads of songs and excersizes more quality control then all of his peers out there. If he goes independent, his buzz will go from the little whisper it is now to a silence.

I think your really underestimating his buzz right now. The guy can be the number 2 trending topic on twitter with a mixtape. I think a year later he will be just fine.

Recon

Banned
Kusagari said:
Barely anybody in the music industry can do over 200k these days for a debut. Expecting it from Cole is absurd.

Wiz did over 200k. But he also had a massive hit single. Cole's singles have kinda fizzled. But the guy has a big fanbase form his mixtapes. I think 200k is what he will sell, probably closer to 180k.

zychi

Banned
ReconYoda said:
I think your really underestimating his buzz right now. The guy can be the number 2 trending topic on twitter with a mixtape. I think a year later he will be just fine.
Don't forget he's finally headlining a "tour," small, but still a tour. He also has alllll of the lil latino girls going nuts for him thanks to his rihanna tour. None of my hip hop buddies like Cole, but allll the girls love his stupid lil songs with Drake and his medicore youtube videos.

Kusagari

ReconYoda said:
Wiz did over 200k. But he also had a massive hit single. Cole's singles have kinda fizzled. But the guy has a big fanbase form his mixtapes. I think 200k is what he will sell, probably closer to 180k.

Rolling Papers debuted with 197k ;).

Anyway, Wiz had a huge mixtape fanbase as well. The difference is he had a song that literally EVERYONE knew about(as you said). You couldn't escape Black and Yellow. Nobody who listens to mainstream radio has heard of J. Cole.

I think that Cole can do over 100k, but not much more. I see his sales potential as more in line with Big Sean's. Big Sean didn't have a a big mixtape fanbase but his singles did have much more play than Cole's. Finally Famous debuted with 87k for reference.

The M.O.B

Cole will do 100K if he is lucky, other artists have garnered big fanbases off mixtapes but that doesn't translate into album sales.

Also hit singles don't necessarily mean big numbers either.

Recon

Banned
Kusagari said:
Rolling Papers debuted with 197k ;).

Anyway, Wiz had a huge mixtape fanbase as well. The difference is he had a song that literally EVERYONE knew about(as you said). You couldn't escape Black and Yellow. Nobody who listens to mainstream radio has heard of J. Cole.

I think that Cole can do over 100k, but not much more. I see his sales potential as more in line with Big Sean's. Big Sean didn't have a a big mixtape fanbase but his singles did have much more play than Cole's. Finally Famous debuted with 87k for reference.

Cole has a pretty big mixtape following. Like I said before, his last tape was the #2 trending topic on twitter. The guy has fans. Its just up in the air if its the kind of fans that buy albums.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
The M.O.B said:
Cole will do 100K if he is lucky, other artists have garnered big fanbases off mixtapes but that doesn't translate into album sales.

Also hit singles don't necessarily mean big numbers either.

especially now when you can just buy the single on itunes over picking the full album either physically or digitally.

Takuan

Long time coming... Hope the new stuff is good. If he tanks it'll be because the market has no place for a pure emcee anymore. Everyone has to add in that auto tune to make a splash in today's scene, it seems.

Recon

Banned
But honestly, i dont give a shit if his album sells well. He does most of his own production, so him being independent would not change his music much at all. I have enjoyed all 3 of his mixtapes, and i have enjoyed all his leaks from his debut. I just want a good album, and im sure ill get that.

ReconYoda said:
Cole has a pretty big mixtape following. Like I said before, his last tape was the #2 trending topic on twitter. The guy has fans. Its just up in the air if its the kind of fans that buy albums.

People that download mixtapes will probably just download the album too.

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
Wasn't Lupe trending on twitter as well? He had people for marching for him, then they all left the protest and downloaded Lazers.

I hope for the best for guy, but I don't see him selling a ton.

enzo_gt said:
Sufficient amounts of "wat" detected in this post.

Just saying mixtape buzz doesn't always translate into album sales. A lot of the people that make guys like Lil Wayne multi plat probably have no idea he even makes mixtapes.

kamspy

100k in a best case scenario. He'd have to pull out a new single like tomorrow. And it would have to feature Bruno Mars.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
Ninja Scooter said:
Oh. So sales define a classic. I didn't know. ._. Also I consider Can't Get Enough to actually be a "bad" song, not just because it's a song "for the bitches". There are songs for bitches that, as a dude, I don't mind listening to.

Guess Carter 4 was a classic out of the gate.

ReconYoda said:
Pac had songs like that. I consider Makaveli a classic, but it had Toss It Up. Obviously i dont consider Cole in the same league as Pac. Also, im not saying Cole is gonna drop a classic. I just want a good album. The last time i could call a debut a classic would be College Dropout and Food & Liquor.
I don't think that's a good comparison because of the two rappers and their era. But, I agree on your points about Cole. I want a good album too. I think we'll have that. I was just saying that referencing Can't Get Enough as reason to anticipate a classic is kind of silly.

I agree on your two choices as classics, but I'd say the last debut for me I would call a classic would have to be Below The Heavens.

kamspy said:
100k in a best case scenario. He'd have to pull out a new single like tomorrow. And it would have to feature Bruno Mars.

The funny thing is that the new single is out, the video was shot weeks ago, yet there's no movement from the label to get it on the radio or release the video. Shit doesn't make sense.

kamspy

ReconYoda said:
Pac had songs like that. I consider Makaveli a classic, but it had Toss It Up.

Holy shit you actually posted this? I just glazed over it and saw it in a quote. Toss it Up is harder than any song in Cole's catalog.

Not even remotely comparable.

Let's be real. Here's my timeline.

Few weeks ago: Yoda posts that he's been saved by the based god and will accept all forms of hip hop. GAF HOP accepts that he's probably talking about Lil B, Gucci and stuff like that.

Last week: Yoda released a pretty high quality track. Problem is, the content of the track was pure bathtub music. Break out the scented candle and bath beads. It's soak time. Where's my lavender body wash?

This week: Yoda's been stanning Cole at an alarmingly high level. More than usual. We all know Cole is gonna fill this album with the rap version of NeYo type songs. He's bracing for that. For some reason, he wants it to happen.

So here's my deduction: Dude likes R&B Rap now, not based, dumb out awesome rap. He probably got the full "Featuring Carl Thomas" playlist going on Spotify right now. Holy shit.

PhoenixDark said:
The funny thing is that the new single is out, the video was shot weeks ago, yet there's no movement from the label to get it on the radio or release the video. Shit doesn't make sense.

I don't think the WTT After Party is over yet. Roc Nation guys are probably too busy popping Ace of Spades and being successful to upload J.Cole's video to VEVO.

Recon

Banned
Stat Flow said:
Oh. So sales define a classic. I didn't know. ._. Also I consider Can't Get Enough to actually be a "bad" song, not just because it's a song "for the bitches". There are songs for bitches that, as a dude, I don't mind listening to.

Guess Carter 4 was a classic out of the gate.

I don't think that's a good comparison because of the two rappers and their era. But, I agree on your points about Cole. I want a good album too. I think we'll have that. I was just saying that referencing Can't Get Enough as reason to anticipate a classic is kind of silly.

I agree on your two choices as classics, but I'd say the last debut for me I would call a classic would have to be Below The Heavens.

I dont hate Cant Get Enough. But it will be skipped every time i play the album.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom