• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

J. Cole - Cole World: The Sideline Story - 9-27-11 |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
ReconYoda said:
But i think the song could of been a lot better if it was about how materialism is so important to rappers. I really thought that was what he was going for when i heard the title. He kinda started to talk about that on "Cost Me A lot" from Friday Night Lights.
Wow. This is exactly what I thought when I saw the tracklist and that it was the Jay track lmao. How ironic but genius it would have been to have that be the Jay feature after Jay just recorded WTT in a castle.

Recon

Banned
Stat Flow said:
Wow. This is exactly what I thought when I saw the tracklist and that it was the Jay track lmao. How ironic but genius it would have been to have that be the Jay feature after Jay just recorded WTT in a castle.

Yeah, kinda disappointed that its the same glorification of materialism that WTT was about.

DominoKid

Mr. Nice Watch sucks. sounds like he picked it up off the WTT cutting room floor.

i cant decide if he sounds like a poor man's Kanye or Drake.

PBY

Banned
DominoKid said:
Hov kinda ripped it tho
yup.

Really like this, but this would be 1000 times better if it had Kanye on it.

edit: come to think of it, every track would be better if Kanye were on it. /stannery

Nobility

Banned
I'm feeling this beat but it does sound like something you would see on WTT. I think it will continue to grow on me. 12 more days!

The M.O.B

I like it, not sure why so many are so down on it. I'm not catching the complaints of it sounding like a WTT leftover. It's got a a dope beat and nice flow to it, regardless of where it came from.

I will agree however that Cole is channeling his inner Kanye on this track though haha

kodecraft

The M.O.B said:

Yea this definitely sounds like some WTT ish. Just replace Cole's verse and hook and isert Kanye and you've got a bonus track for WTT.

All these songs from the album he has leaked seem really average, I am Cole fan but the singles "Work Out", Can't Get Enough", "In The Morning".......I'm like damn Cole i've come to the conclusion thats its hard for you to make a hit/radio song.

i wouldve been very happy if Friday Night Lights was his album.....The Sideline Story feels like it will be a STRONG-average album.....

The mixtapes everybody screaming...

"Cole World No Heater"

"Cole World No Blanket"

The album I'm screaming....

"Cole World No Classic"

Still a day one purchase but damn

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
The beat is something fierce, Cole went IN on this production. But Cole is trying some next ish on that first verse, fucking up his flow closer to the end. The chorus is fucking dope though.

Doesn't sound like a WTT throw away to me.. not sure what everyone's on about. Wouldn't fit on WTT, is it just because WTT has one electro-sounding song, and because this has electro vibes too it sounds the same all of a sudden?

Cool to hear though that Jay pushed back the entire mastering process, as the album was finished, just so he could record his verse and put it on Cole's album. Good man.

Not listening to this again. I'll wait for the album and see what sticks in the context of the rest of the songs.

PBY

Banned
enzo_gt said:
The beat is something fierce, Cole went IN on this production. But Cole is trying some next ish on that first verse, fucking up his flow closer to the end. The chorus is fucking dope though.

Doesn't sound like a WTT throw away to me.. not sure what everyone's on about. Wouldn't fit on WTT, is it just because WTT has one electro-sounding song, and because this has electro vibes too it sounds the same all of a sudden?

Cool to hear though that Jay pushed back the entire mastering process, as the album was finished, just so he could record his verse and put it on Cole's album. Good man.

Not listening to this again. I'll wait for the album and see what sticks in the context of the rest of the songs.
Listen to Jay's verse again- come on that totally could have been on WTT.

The M.O.B said:
Can't Get Enough ft. TreySongz video premier tonight 10pm est. MTV2.
Nice. Definitely one of my favourite songs of the year. Saw him live last week and it was by far the highlight of the show, I think I heard it once before that, but when he played it live, it was so fucking good, just real smooth, everybody was bobbin their heads and smoking weed with the Jamaican-flag lights in the background. The studio version doesn't have the same vibe though, still good, but not perfect like it was.

DominoKid

kodecraft said:
Yea this definitely sounds like some WTT ish. Just replace Cole's verse and hook and isert Kanye and you've got a bonus track for WTT.

All these songs from the album he has leaked seem really average, I am Cole fan but the singles "Work Out", Can't Get Enough", "In The Morning".......I'm like damn Cole i've come to the conclusion thats its hard for you to make a hit/radio song.

i wouldve been very happy if Friday Night Lights was his album.....The Sideline Story feels like it will be a STRONG-average album.....

The mixtapes everybody screaming...

"Cole World No Heater"

"Cole World No Blanket"

The album I'm screaming....

"Cole World No Classic"

Still a day one purchase but damn

I'm screaming Cole World Not Copping. shits wack b.

kodecraft

enzo_gt said:

This sounds like denial to me....this song is WTT themed all day.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
kodecraft said:
This sounds like denial to me....this song is WTT themed all day.
Denial from what? What themes does it share with WTT outside of talking shit like every other rapper?

It doesn't sound like WTT to my ear. Beat is too refined, no overexploited sample, Jay's verse not meshing like WTT despite it being WTT caliber.

Regardless, stupid thing to argue over.

Nobility said:
Can't Get Enough Video (US Only):

http://www.mtv.com/videos/j-cole/690969/cant-get-enough.jhtml#id=1568964

They should at least put it on YouTube smh.
Ugh, fuck MTV seriously. I used to be able to access approx. half their stuff and now after they unified their player, none of it. :/

Guess I'll wait for some uploads to YT/WSHH before it gets on VEVO.

Cudder

Max Armstrong said:
Nice. Definitely one of my favourite songs of the year. Saw him live last week and it was by far the highlight of the show, I think I heard it once before that, but when he played it live, it was so fucking good, just real smooth, everybody was bobbin their heads and smoking weed with the Jamaican-flag lights in the background. The studio version doesn't have the same vibe though, still good, but not perfect like it was.
I agree with this. Played live, that song is a beast.

Nobility

Banned
So Cheer Up is no longer on the album?

EDIT: Though Work Out is the last song on that Amazon listing, Wikipedia still shows Cheer Up as the last one before bonus songs. I am guessing Cole had to change it when Hov didn't give his verse? Maybe it's a bonus now.

It may be just me but Lights Please sounds different...better...

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Dosia said:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B005MYUL4Y/

Album snippets if these havn't already been posted.
holy shit Dollar and a Dream III
Lights Please sounds re-recorded, or is it just me/difference in mastering?
Cole World sounds bumpable.
Nobody's Perfect sounds :/
Never Told sounds like some real shit. Want to hear the rest of the story.
Rise and Shine sounds like a mixtape track. Not feeling it.
God's Gift.. dem drums
Breakdown sounds good.

These snippets renewed my hope. More "real" shit than I expected. Interesting production choices from the look of it. Still hella scared though.

kodecraft

enzo_gt said:
Denial from what? What themes does it share with WTT outside of talking shit like every other rapper?

It doesn't sound like WTT to my ear. Beat is too refined, no overexploited sample, Jay's verse not meshing like WTT despite it being WTT caliber.

Regardless, stupid thing to argue over.

Ugh, fuck MTV seriously. I used to be able to access approx. half their stuff and now after they unified their player, none of it. :/

Guess I'll wait for some uploads to YT/WSHH before it gets on VEVO.

You can't here Kanye chanting "Dat sh^t cray" on some "Nikkaz In Paris" type ish all over this beat?....you can't here J and Ye going "H.A.M" on this track?

Listen to it again now that i mentioned those songs and should feel where I'm coming from.

You're right though....stupid thing to argue over...but debatable.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
-Dollar And A Dream III...sounds sickkkkk
-I don't know how I like the beat change on Lights Please :|
-Sideline Story, it sounds like something off the warm up. That's a good thing.
-Cole World. This doesn't sound like it'll live up to being a title song, but it doesn't sound bad either.
-Nobody's Perfect. That flow sounds off...or maybe it's just that because it's slow-cole it sounds weird. But I see he's channeling Lil Wayne for a punchline or two here.
-Never Told sounds like it could be another Lights-Please type track (raw but still intellectual).
-Rise & Shine sounds like an Any Given Sunday Track.
-God's Gift sounds good, but I expected that given what I heard of the live performance.
-Breakdown sounds awesome...like a Warmup Track too.

This album...3/10. 30k first week. Cole World.

kodecraft

enzo_gt said:
holy shit Dollar and a Dream III
Lights Please sounds re-recorded, or is it just me/difference in mastering?
Cole World sounds bumpable.
Nobody's Perfect sounds :/
Never Told sounds like some real shit. Want to hear the rest of the story.
Rise and Shine sounds like a mixtape track. Not feeling it.
God's Gift.. dem drums
Breakdown sounds good.

These snippets renewed my hope. More "real" shit than I expected. Interesting production choices from the look of it. Still hella scared though.

Lights Please sounds crisp and louder now. The production does sound nice. We'll see what we get on the 27th.

reKon

Banned
lost one sounds much better too...

this shit is looking good. I'm more surprised at the production so far, but in a good way. I had no idea what sound we would get out of this, but I like it. I hope the lyrics deliver. Also, I wish Cole got back on his crazy flow on a few of these songs:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dUupSmiVUiY

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom