• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

J. Cole - Cole World: The Sideline Story - 9-27-11 |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mr. Nicewatch sounds bad. But I'm waiting for the album to make my final judgement on any of the songs. The reason I have faith in the album is Cole said that 10 songs or so are ones he held off from releasing on his mixtapes because they were too good. If thats true then the album should be amazing, because the warm up and friday night lights were awesome. But who knows maybe the record company didnt want them on there or Jay took them for himself.

DominoKid

Straightballin said:
Mr. Nicewatch sounds bad. But I'm waiting for the album to make my final judgement on any of the songs. The reason I have faith in the album is Cole said that 10 songs or so are ones he held off from releasing on his mixtapes because they were too good. If thats true then the album should be amazing, because the warm up and friday night lights were awesome. But who knows maybe the record company didnt want them on there or Jay took them for himself.

orrrrrrrr more likely them songs wack as fuck too.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
kodecraft said:
You can't here Kanye chanting "Dat sh^t cray" on some "Nikkaz In Paris" type ish all over this beat?....you can't here J and Ye going "H.A.M" on this track?

Listen to it again now that i mentioned those songs and should feel where I'm coming from.

You're right though....stupid thing to argue over...but debatable.
No, I honestly don't hear that. Plus despite N*ggas in Paris being one of my favourite songs off of WTT, I don't think that's representative of the sound of the album, hell I don't even think WTT has a coherent sound, its a mixed bag of everything to me.

Recon

Banned
Dollar and A Dream III sounds fucking epic. Shit is why im a Cole fan.

Lights Please is also different. The piano is a bit different.

Edit: Actually, everything other than the obvious singles, are actually really damn good based on the snippets. Haters are gonna hate, but this album looks to be very solid.

Mayyhem

Haters can hate, this album will be great to me. I really like Mr. Nice Watch too, production is bonkers and jigga goes IN.

Snippets are okay but it sound like i'm gonna forget most of them right after.

As for the Whole Mr Nice Watch WTT leftover thing.

It's more so that the beginning on of the chorus sounds so similar to the beat change at the end of No church in the Wild.

I'm supporting Dude just due to his strong mixtapes (Did the Same for Cudi and B.O.B for better or for worse)

DominoKid

Knux-Future said:
Snippets are okay but it sound like i'm gonna forget most of them right after.

As for the Whole Mr Nice Watch WTT leftover thing.

It's more so that the beginning on of the chorus sounds so similar to the beat change at the end of No church in the Wild.

I'm supporting Dude just due to his strong mixtapes (Did the Same for Cudi and B.O.B for better or for worse)

and the fact that the beat sounds like a WTT leftover
and the fact that Cole apes the hell out of Kanye in his second verse
and the fact that Jay's verse is clearly him in WTT-mode. I like the gator band line though

Recon

Banned
DominoKid said:
and the fact that Jay's verse is clearly him in WTT-mode. I like the gator band line though

Salty because Cole did WTT better than Ye or Jay did.

DominoKid

jay-z-crazy.jpg

pardon me i had to laugh at that.

Mr. Nice Watch doesn't sound like a WTT beat to me... It just sounds like a shit beat is all.

Q: "OMG I gotta make records for a bigger audience now how do I do that?"
A: "Shitty beats."

DominoKid

ReconYoda said:
You keep listening to your shitty WTT. Mediocre taste for mediocre music.

its going to burn to see WTT high on so many year-end lists aint it.

Cole World won't even have a song on it better than Lift Off.

Recon

Banned
DominoKid said:
its going to burn to see WTT high on so many year-end lists aint it.

My ass hole makes better sounds than Lift Off.

exarkun

DAMN can't get enough sounds dope.

Liked the beat for Nice, and Hov went in a little. I hate on him sometimes, but he did ok

Bishman

DominoKid said:
jay-z-crazy.jpg

pardon me i had to laugh at that.
Haha DominoKid! That shit cray!

The J. Cole concert was awesome. He is real good at getting the crowd involved. If you listened to all his mixtapes, you will enjoy his concert. And oh man was the crowd diverse as fuck. It is surprising to see so many type of people that are hip hop fans and all of them like J. Cole.

Cole World! 9.27!

overcast

Bishman said:
Haha DominoKid! That shit cray!

The J. Cole concert was awesome. He is real good at getting the crowd involved. If you listened to all his mixtapes, you will enjoy his concert. And oh man was the crowd diverse as fuck. It is surprising to see so many type of people that are hip hop fans and all of them like J. Cole.

Cole World! 9.27!
Sounds great man. I would love to go.

I'm going to hold off on the samples. Good to see you guys are liking it though.

kodecraft

DominoKid said:

This.

The snippets seem solid to me; gotta actually listen to whole songs to actually get anything out of it tho.

"An A&R once told me he could determine a worth of a song within 15 seconds of it playing, with complete and utter lack of the fact that it takes takes all 3 minutes and 40seconds of a song to comprehend what I’m sayin" - Big K.R.I.T

DominoKid said:

And what are you basing this off of? Are you an A&R?

Zel3

"Meanwhile I'm just chopping off doors
Put the front on the back, cause I'm back and forth
Put the front on the back of the 'bach like a boss
So I'm fronting on niggas when I'm backing off"

kamspy

Lift Off is gonna be the new bumper for every major sporting event once they're done using Empire State of Mind. It's almost like they had that in mind when they made it. Watch for it in just about every NBA bumper next season.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
overcast said:
Over/Under 8 Fayettenams dropped throughout the album?
Under.

Over/Under 8 Villes dropped throughout the album?

And Lift Off ain't getting anywhere close to Empire State Of Mind, that shit is a bonafide classic now. Can't compete, and Kanye slurring words and Jay's shitty verse won't go down as well in the long run.

kamspy

enzo_gt said:
And Lift Off ain't getting anywhere close to Empire State Of Mind, that shit is a bonafide classic now. Can't compete, and Kanye slurring words and Jay's shitty verse won't go down as well in the long run.

It'll be a Bey-mix. Beat and hook are too perfect for sporting event music.

I'm not talking about as a cohesive song. Just the bumper they play before and after commercial breaks or during highlights.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
kamspy said:
It'll be a Bey-mix. Beat and hook are too perfect for sporting event music.

I'm not talking about as a cohesive song. Just the bumper they play before and after commercial breaks or during highlights.
Coincidentally, I just read this comment on NR:
why? Says:
September 14th, 2011 at 4:42 pm

Why all his tracks gotta sound like NBA preview commercials though..

True, true.

kamspy

I think Jay loved Empire blowing up in that area of the media and tried to replicate it with Lift Off. It was the first thing that came to my head when I first heard the song. The more I listen, the more I agree with my assessment.

Also, still can't find anything to listen to post WTT. :(

Bishman

kamspy said:
Lift Off is gonna be the new bumper for every major sporting event once they're done using Empire State of Mind. It's almost like they had that in mind when they made it. Watch for it in just about every NBA bumper next season.
I could see that.

overcast

So what are your favorite Cole songs? (thread isn't moving so might as well try to generate discussion).

I think mine is probably Enchanted thus far, as far as serious topics goes. Higher as far the lady songs.

mileS

overcast said:
So what are your favorite Cole songs? (thread isn't moving so might as well try to generate discussion).

I think mine is probably Enchanted thus far, as far as serious topics goes. Higher as far the lady songs.

Off the top of my head I would say the autograph or 2face. I can't decide.

Also I can't wait to listen to more of Nobody's Perfect. damn that sounds good.

Nobility

Banned
J Cole got my attention as soon I listened to The Warm Up, Welcome is a great intro song.

1. 2Face - Friday Night Lights showed me he's the future, 2Face showed me he's ready
2. Return of Simba - Perfect Timing, I think I heard it first during the Heat run in the playoffs, just finished exams but was still stressed, was also going through some personal stuff, listening to this song made me feel better instantly
3. Killers - I got chills the first time I heard this, not over produced and the lyrics tell everything, it'll be hard for Cole to beat this in my mind.
4. Premeditated Murder - This beat will be stuck in my head forever, I think I made a ringtone, got a few questions and more people interested in Cole.
5. Unabomber - I'm glad for Any Given Sunday series just for this song
6. Farewell - I can't think of a better way to end an album, very eery how he's spitting the same thing I'm thinking...
7. Enchanted - Great story telling and that Pac sample gets me every time
8. See It To Believe It - See it to believe it...
9. Welcome - Like I said, amazing intro
10. Hold It Down - Always listened to this song on the bus, i'll always associate it to my memories of riding home

Honourable Mentions:

- Blow Up - I don't think anyone could hate this song, it's been in so many commercials/games and yet I still listen to it.
- Higher - His best ladies song, I think Cole should have used this for his first album single, much better choice than Work Out.
- You Got It - Great flow and I was surprised how well Wale mixed with the song. Could have been an album hit.
- Too Deep For The Intro - Is this is too deep for the intro, if so i'll find another use. In case it's perfect, let me introduce...
- Grown Simba - Simba grew up...especially his production
- Dolla And a Dream II - Showed Cole had promise and I can't wait to hear Dolla And a Dream III
- Who Dat - Great way to introduce himself to mainstream but seems like he was trying too hard to make an impression, I still come back to it every once in awhile

Some of the songs I am thinking should be in my top 10 are from the old leaks for Sideline Story so I'll wait for it come out before I comment on them.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Favourites in no particular order:

Be (Freestyle)
Knock On Wood (Go Freestyle)
We On
Premeditated Murder
See World
Before I'm Gone
Blow Up
Higher
Dreams ft. Brandon Hines