• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

J.J Abrams: Anton Yelchin will not be replaced

Status
Not open for further replies.

brian577

Banned

jerry113

Banned
Sure. Just introduce a new character or consolidate focus on the rest of the existing cast. For a Starfleet bridge it's currently pretty human-centric with the exception of Spock. Andorian maybe?

Xe4

Banned
I'm glad, honestly. I want them to give him some sort of send off. Nothing as cheesy as fast and the furious, but something.

BigDug13

The original Star Trek started without the Chekov character as he wasn't introduced until Season 2 (which is one of the goof ups in Star Trek 2 as Khan says he recognizes Chekov, but Chekov was not a crew member for that original series episode with Khan.) So I guess it's fitting that he's the first main character to simply be removed from the crew for the rebooted movies.

Yeah cant say i agree either. If he was the first to play the character I could maybe see it, but he wasnt. I could see skipping out on any appearance in the next movie as a sign of respect, but thats it.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
It's the best thing to do, it makes no sense recasting a tertiary character for an ensemble movie, not in these circumstances. Just create a new character and write Chekov out.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
That's fine. Gives them an opportunity to try out a brand new character.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
Yeah cant say i agree either. If he was the first to play the character I could maybe see it, but he wasnt. I could see skipping out on any appearance in the next movie as a sign of respect, but thats it.

what's the point of recasting him, though? he's not an important character to the story and is easily a sign of respect to retire the character for this series of movies and just put in another named character (which there are plenty to be had or made) that serves the same purpose.

Krejlooc

Banned
Why don't you agree, OP? He wasn't a crucial character, and it's respectful to Anton.

Well I don't have a strong opinion either way, but he isn't the only person to play Chekov, and he's not who most people likely think of first when they hear the name Chekov.

guek

Banned
So is Abrams directing the next one? Seems like that sort of decision would be up to the director.

He's probably producing.

I don't think this means we wont ever see Chekov again, just not with the current cast. I'm OK with that.

what's the point of recasting him, though? he's not an important character to the story and is easily a sign of respect to retire the character for this series of movies and just put in another named character (which there are plenty to be had or made) that serves the same purpose.

As a Star Trek fan i disagree. All of the main crew is important to me.

DiscoJer

Chekov was never really a key character. He was basically there for comic relief revolving around him being Russian - either his accent (which was not very realistic) or claiming that Russians invented everything.

Lt. Leslie was actually on more episodes than he was. A lot more, actually.

If George Takei had died halfway through the series/making the movies, do you think they should have recast him?

As I said in my first post if he was the first actor to portray the character I can see a reason to not recast the role, but he is the second actor to portray him.

OmegaFax

I think it's a bit too early to call what they're going to do with the character. As one or two have pointed out, Anton Yelchin's character is a replacement for Walter Koenig. It's not like there won't be another portrayal of the character by a different actor. It probably won't happen in this universe or series of movies. It's a sensitive topic and kind of the elephant in the room when Beyond opens this week and a sequel has already been announced ahead of Beyond's release. Too soon to say anything really.

brian577

Banned
Chekov was never really a key character. He was basically there for comic relief revolving around him being Russian - either his accent (which was not very realistic) or claiming that Russians invented everything.

Lt. Leslie was actually on more episodes than he was. A lot more, actually.

Actually, the original reason was for teenage sex appeal.

RIP

to be honest, they always gave Chekov to least amount of screen time out the whole cast including old show, old movies and new rebooted movies

+ these movies always gave way more screen time to non-regular crew members like Carol Marcus in Into Darkness

But Chekov didn't even exist when the show was created. 1/3 of the original episodes don't even contain that character.

The movies also are part of the universe.

But anyway it seems my opinion is in the minority and I dont feel like defending it to every other poster so peace.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
They shouldn't have even bothered casting Sulu, Uhura and Chekov to begin with. With the creation of a new timeline, and those three having supposed to be so much younger than the others, they sould have created three new characters.

Sayter

If George Takei had died halfway through the series/making the movies, do you think they should have recast him?

Through the tv series? Probably.
Through the movies? No. He had established himself in that part throughout the tv series and in Trekkie pop cultural.

As for not replacing him, I appreciate what Abrams is trying to do. But this generation of Star Trek Actors is just getting started. I think it would be alright to replace him IMO.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket

During the TV series? They probably would have made a new character. Sulu, Chekov, and Uhura were not major characters in the show, and didn't get much more in the movies.

So is Abrams directing the next one? Seems like that sort of decision would be up to the director.

Abrams' Bad Robot remains one of the production companies behind the films, Bad Robot COO Tommy Harper and head of film Lindey Weber are still executive producing the film and I assume Abrams gives them marching orders.

Speevy

Banned
Can they retroactively make the entire film about him leaving the crew before Friday, or does he have a brother that looks just like him?

Otherwise, good decision.

I think it's the right thing to do. Now they can introduce a new character. If I was in charge, I'd give more attention to this dude.

latest

I'm glad, honestly. I want them to give him some sort of send off. Nothing as cheesy as fast and the furious, but something.
Cheesy but effective. Chekov should drive off into the sunset with a silhouette in the background of him smiling.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom