• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

J.J Abrams: Anton Yelchin will not be replaced

Status
Not open for further replies.

Charcoal

I think it's the right thing to do. Now they can introduce a new character. If I was in charge, I'd give more attention to this dude.

latest
"MAJOR HULL DAMAGE, CAPTAIN"

It's Bad Robot y'all.

We all know who the new crew member will be.

greg_grunberg.jpg

Greg Grunberg.

"But Mike, isn't he in the trailer for Beyond already?" Makes it easier to add him to the team.

Time for that White haired bridge officer lady from into darkness to step up.

But yeah. Not recasting is the right call. Say the character is in command of another ship or something.

Bluth54

I think it's the right thing to do. Now they can introduce a new character. If I was in charge, I'd give more attention to this dude.

latest

They actually focus on him in a few issues of the comic series based on the films. I believe he got merged with the computer/ship somehow.

I still can't believe Anton died like he did. He could have been a great charming old man actor like Michael Caine.

I'm glad they're giving the character a break. If there had been a new Joker in the Dark Knight Rises it would have been pretty distracting.

Hex

Banned
Yeah cant say i agree either. If he was the first to play the character I could maybe see it, but he wasnt. I could see skipping out on any appearance in the next movie as a sign of respect, but thats it.

It is a different universe, they should make differences

Seems like a nice gesture to me. Chekov isn't a vital character so it won't matter if he doesn't reappear, and part of his appeal to me was Yelchin's performance so I don't think I want a newcomer to come in and potentially retroactively spoil the character.

These look like the whitest people in existence. Does Starfleet have an affirmative action program for albinos?

Kimaka

Good. Bringing in a new actor to play Checkov would feel wrong anyway. I also dislike characters changing actors midway a series.

They should bring in Rand. It will be the reverse of what the tv show did.

I really liked Chekov, but I think this is the for the best. Sad to see it happen, because he was wonderful.

If they were to recast him in the Abramverse (which I hope goes the distance and eventually hits Next Gen), I'd prefer if there were in continuity reasons as to why he looks different. If they wrote him transforming or whatever, I'd be down with that. But to quietly replace him with another actor? All I'd be asking is "in the context of this film series, why did this one character transform with nobody pointing it out?"

So I think it's best to avoid the issue entirely and not have the character in the films. I wish Beyond the best of luck in the box office, and I will absolutely be watching it and thinking of Yelchin.

MisterHero

I really liked Chekov, but I think this is the for the best. Sad to see it happen, because he was wonderful.

If they were to recast him in the Abramverse (which I hope goes the distance and eventually hits Next Gen), I'd prefer if there were in continuity reasons as to why he looks different. If they wrote him transforming or whatever, I'd be down with that. But to quietly replace him with another actor? All I'd be asking is "in the context of this film series, why did this one character transform with nobody pointing it out?"

So I think it's best to avoid the issue entirely and not have the character in the films. I wish Beyond the best of luck in the box office, and I will absolutely be watching it and thinking of Yelchin.
He got permanently aged into Walter Koenig.

Not enough adrenaline this time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom