• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

J.J. Abrams Star Wars: The Force Awakens Interview

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm so glad JJ is the guy putting this together. He's the right man for the job. Thanks for posting.

The guy had ans has one of the largest responsibilities in the history of film, for him to take that , and run with it speaks to what kind of a guy he is. Who could handle that kind of pressure?

Finn's body looks weird. Wrong actor for the role

Oh man oh man oh man, this thread got good faster than I thought.

Maybe we need an actor who can deal better with lighter scenes?

Maybe someone we can more easily see as our white knight?

Someone to brighten up the movie?

What I'm saying is, care to shed some light on what exactly you mean?

BigDug13

The one thing I notice in those new pics is how much he interacts with his cast to get the performance and delivery he wants. Instead of telling Ewan McGreggor to say his lines to a dot sitting on a green screen.

The one thing I notice in those new pics is how much he interacts with his cast to get the performance and delivery he wants. Instead of telling Ewan McGreggor to say his lines to a dot sitting on a green screen.

Also while sitting on a couch, drinking his coffee.

MrHoot

Oh man oh man oh man, this thread got good faster than I thought.

Maybe we need an actor who can deal better with lighter scenes?

Maybe someone we can more easily see as our white knight?

Someone to brighten up the movie?

What I'm saying is, care to shed some light on what exactly you mean?

He contrasts too much :^)

Jonm1010

Banned
I imagine he didn't want to work on 2 Star Wars movies back to back just because it would mean non stop work on the same project for years and years. I can't imagine Disney would have objected to him directing the second one with how well received the movie is right now.
Can he at least come back and replace that Jurrasic World director for the third film? That's all I really want.

bill0527

Can he at least come back and replace that Jurrasic World director for the third film? That's all I really want.

I think JJ is executive producing the whole trilogy.

Having the executive producer basically take over and fix a shit director's work isn't exactly unheard of in Star Wars because that's exactly what George Lucas had to do for Richard Marquand in Return of the Jedi.

I think Episode IX will be ok.

All the evidence points to this trilogy as being an entire collaboration, unlike the prequels, which is a good thing.

Having the executive producer basically take over and fix a shit director's work isn't exactly unheard of in Star Wars because that's exactly what George Lucas had to do for Richard Marquand in Return of the Jedi.

All the evidence points to this trilogy as being an entire collaboration, unlike the prequels, which is a good thing.

Are you George Lucas IRL?

So Lucas swooped in and fixed Marquand's mistakes?

You guys all know that before Jurassic World, Tervorrow made a very critically acclaimed indie called Safety Not Guaranteed, right? It's a very sweet and charming little film, totally great.

Jurassic World was disappointing, I agree, but Tervorrow is not the hack director some of you think he is.

sw_jj_fullwidth_04.png

Badass

He isn't a shit director. He wouldn't have gotten the job if that were even some kind of remote consensus. Internet negativity does not apply to things like this. Jurassic World is not some generally frowned upon movie. It's fine to not like it, but yeah, not everyone would agree, and obviously not Lucasfilm, who I trust are smart people that know what they're doing. Colin will also have even more experience going in as he's about to direct Book of Henry.

This won't be a case where 7 and 8 are ohhhh so good but 9 sucks.

Pagusas

Elden Member

Where can I read about the production issues of ROTJ?

Blues1990

While I'm not the biggest fan of J.J. Abrams filmography, you can tell in a lot of interviews that he's in pure ecstasy with working on this movie, and as a big Star Wars fan, he's doing his damnest to make sure that it doesn't turn into a turkey. I wish the guy the best of luck, as he's going to need it.

Quick

Banned
Rian Johnson is writing VIII, but IX only has the screenplay as Johnson purely for the story. I'm assuming either Trevorrow writes it, or Johnson writes that too. Too early to say, probably.

And based on JJ's interview, I'm assuming Kasdan gets involved in rewrites and changes for Johnson's draft.

Not Andrew Garfield.

Garfield doesn't have dat ass though.

While I'm not the biggest fan of J.J. Abrams filmography, you can tell in a lot of interviews that he's in pure ecstasy with working on this movie, and as a big Star Wars fan, he's doing his damnest to make sure that it doesn't turn into a turkey. I wish the guy the best of luck, as he's going to need it.

I think hes already succeeded. He already washed the foul taste Lucas left behind. He understands what we loved about 4-6.

Blader

Johnson is only writing a treatment for IX, right? I don't think he was confirmed for doing the screenplay too.

You guys all know that before Jurassic World, Tervorrow made a very critically acclaimed indie called Safety Not Guaranteed, right? It's a very sweet and charming little film, totally great.

Jurassic World was disappointing, I agree, but Tervorrow is not the hack director some of you think he is.

Don't think I'd call a Metacritic score of 72 "very critically acclaimed". For me it was an unfunny indie comedy with poor performances shot in a bland totally uncreative way. How the fuck he got the gig to direct Jurassic World, I have no idea. But that film turned out even more horrific than I feared.
The only thing I can say about Episode IX is thank god there is still time for Disney to wake up and replace him with....fucking anybody.

JimiNutz

Banned
Into Darkness is trash?!
I had no idea it was so hated here on GAF. I thought it reviewed well and I certainly enjoyed it. What was supposedly so bad about it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom