• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jack Thompson says blood is on gaming journalists' hands over CT shooting

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
This guy is still around / remotely significant in any way? I forgot he existed since the GTA stuff.

Sure, but what about Yahtzee or Warren Spector or Earnest Adams or Kevin Vanord or the Spec Ops guys?

What about it? It's not like gaming is only popular in the US, yet these mass shooting stories seem to come out of the US more than any other place. Why don't we constantly hear about mass shootings in Japan, France, UK etc. all places where gaming is also huge? So, why link gaming to that?

remnant

Banned
Many people in the OT are blaming America "violent culture." This is may not be a fringe view for much longer...if it even is now.

legacyzero

Banned
Sure, but what about Yahtzee or Warren Spector or Earnest Adams or Kevin Vanord or the Spec Ops guys?
That's a night and day comparison there.

At least the people you listed are tolerable people that have a perfectly good reason why they say what they say, and are agreeable on a gamer level.

inky

Many people in the OT are blaming America "violent culture." This is may not be a fringe view for much longer...if it even is now.

And others have blamed the way the system has systematically taken God out of the schools. These are nutjobs with an agenda, that hopefully the general public can see for who they really are.

Shinta

Banned
I can't help but marvel at the difference between the reaction gamers have to controversies over sexism, and controversies over violence. Why do gamers seem more willing than ever to elevate any small controversy about sexism to the highest levels? Yet any controversy about violence in games is swiftly shut down by pretty much everyone. Games are infinitely more violent than they are sexist, and you would think that would be more important.

Personally, I view a lot of these controversies in the exact same way. I reject when people claim that content like Hitman and Dead or Alive needs to be altered because the game content encourages sexism, and I reject when people claim that Call of Duty and Grand Theft Auto needs to be altered because the game content encourages violence.

In both cases, there's really no scientific data to back up any of the claims. Both are attacks on video games, and free speech.

Yet one gets elevated to the highest levels today, and receives unanimous praise from the gaming media, and many gamers. The other is violently rejected, even in the wake of another violent shooting massacre with 20 kids dead.

If you support the right for games to exist, free from the constraints of moral outrage, unscientific claims, and informal censorship, at least be consistent about it. Otherwise, it's complete hypocrisy to support one and not the other.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I'd say "your" refers to gamers in general, not game journalists in particular.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Last time I saw this douchebag, he was getting his ass handed to him by Adam Sessler over the hot coffee bullshit.

ErikB

Banned
I've played a lot of games throughout the past 15+ years and I don't recall any game where you shoot kids.

Fallout? (You had to patch them back in to the UK versions I think)

A fair number of gamers do complain that GTA and Fallout 3 didn't let you shoot kids though.

Yagharek

I don't understand the premise of his argument. Why are game journalists to blame in his eyes? I always thought his argument was the publishers are the ones responsible for the effects of violent content?

He's wrong either way, but his argument is a strange one.

I don't understand the premise of his argument. Why are game journalists to blame in his eyes? I always thought his argument was the publishers are the ones responsible for the effects of violent content?

He's wrong either way, but his argument is a strange one.

His beef was never just with publishers, it's been with anyone and everyone that has anything to do with gaming even in the slightest. See his attack on VGCats (a webcomic)

http://www.vgcats.com/jack.php

God has it really been 7 years already?

Wow, people always need something to blame, don't they? Did they ever just think maybe these criminals or whatever are just mentally unstable or evil? I think they are old enough to know right from wrong and fiction from reality.

linkboy

Wow, people always need something to blame, don't they? Did they ever just think maybe these criminals or whatever are just mentally unstable or evil? I think they are old enough to know right from wrong and fiction from reality.

Jack's been doing this for most of the 00's, but nobody ever took him seriously.

He managed to find his soapbox for a second.

Top Bottom