• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jade Raymond introduces Haven, a new Montreal-based game development studio working on an original, new IP for PlayStation

Topher

Gold Member
Why so she could take credit for whatever Amy does?

Confused Hanna Barbera GIF by Warner Archive

Wasn't aware of that.....but ok?

MiguelItUp

Gold Member
But even then no one can really say what her actual contributions were to those games. Did she even touch any of the actual "Creative" or "Design" aspects of those games? Or was she just one of those glorified "Producers"?

Yeah. I remember hearing how she was just at Google Stadia for a year and has nothing to show for that. Granted I can give her the benefit of the doubt with Google just being a clusterfuck of a company to create stuff in. But even prior to that, when is the last time she released a game that she worked on directly?
Majority of her roles and credits are for some form of a Producer. Which means she wasn't touching or involved in any creative or design roles. If anything, maybe she provided some feedback here and there. They just saw her face multiple times and thought she was in a more hands-on role I suppose.

Last edited:
Jeez Dragon-Age 3, you know what I meant. And thats not an fps game.

It was fun when frostbite engineer called out Amy Hennig as clueless.
Amy Hennig? I thought you were talking about Jade? Do you have any idea at all what you're talking about. Doesn't seem like it

CGiRanger

Banned
Great to know now let's talk again once released. It is the result that counts.
Someone should post the PR when she joined Stadia to see if it was the exact same kind of "pat-on-the-back" spiel. In today's world sadly only "The Optics" seem to count, even more than the end result.

Interfectum

At first I thought it was a Indie studio with a game being published by Sony.
But right now there is Congrats to joining the PlayStation Studios that gives a different view.
That tweet was from XDEV which specialize in getting third parties to make exclusive content (ie: Sackboy).

It's not a Playstation Studio or they would have said that loud and clear.

Elios83

At first I thought it was a Indie studio with a game being published by Sony.
But right now there is Congrats to joining the PlayStation Studios that gives a different view.

It's probably a mistake.
Jade herself says the studio is independent.
The game is backed and financed by Sony.
It's basically an other Kojima-like partnership.

Btw in the meantime lol at the amount of salt from the usual suspects :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:

SLB1904

Banned
someone should update the thread title. haven studios is sony studio.

nvm that twite put me off

Last edited:

Interfectum

When Sony adds to their official PlayStation Studios team it's usually a huge deal. She wouldn't have called her studio independent if she was a part of them now unless she's an idiot.

Last edited:

GhostOfTsu

Banned
I've heard this person's name for so many years. Yet I don't understand what she has done to deserve so much accolades and name recognition.

Her contributions don't seem to be as big as others on the projects she's been associated with. Yet for some reason she gets the limelight. Why?
It's because she was on a TV Show. That's how people knew about her so Ubisoft used her for marketing also.

I hope she finally releases something before she hits 50.

Topher

Gold Member
Who do you think really created Assassin's Creed?

(hint: it's not the person who is the focus of this team photo)

Every AAA game has a massive team working on it with typically a lot fewer people getting the spotlight. Cory Barlog didn't make God of War by himself. Darrell Gallaggher didn't make Tomb Raider by himself. There is along list of developers who became famous within the industry. Jade Raymond is no different in that respect.

yurinka

Nice, looking forward to their output.

Let's hope this time they manage to get a smaller scope and keep it focused on making a normal not too big paid game for consoles. I'm pretty sure Sony will allow them to do whatever they want without forcing them into shits like microtransactions, streaming, game as service, getting too big and so on.

She produced assassin's creed more than 10 years ago and was not even the creative mind behind the franchise, why are we excited again?
Like any AAA game, Assassin's Creed didn't have a specific creative mind behind it, it was the work of dozens/hundreds of people. If you mean Creative Director no, it wasn't her role in AC. She was her boss, the producer. She did work on many successful games both before and after Assassin's Creed in many areas. First as programer, then producer, or even building and leading very successful studios and in other areas. The Creative Director of AC instead after AC only released a let's say not very successful game with monkeys.

I guess Google basically sold the rights to the IP and all the work they have been doing to Jade and the new publisher (Sony).
It's unlikely Sony signed this from scratch so quickly.
Must be Google's premium IP they were developing for Stadia.
This or will see the new ip in 2025
I assume the team is relatively small team of around a dozen or two of very experienced and talented individuals. Working on a new IP unrelated to what they did in Google since a few months ago, enough time for them to make a convincing pitch and maybe prototype or even vertical slice, which combined with the confidence that their CV and popularity may provide would have convinced Sony. If the scope of the project is relatively small I think they can have the game ready in a year or two.

Did ever Sony bought an IP without buying the studio too? The studio is independent, so very likely they will own the IP of the game. As far as we know, it can be just an indie timed console exclusive.

Regarding her job as the boss of Ubisoft Toronto, there are many other games where they did work while she was there. Some of them published while she was there, some of them until a couple of years after she left:

For Honor, Watch_Dogs 2, Tom Clancy's The Division, Far Cry: Primal, Assassin's Creed: Syndicate - Jack the Ripper, Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six: Siege, Assassin's Creed: Syndicate, South Park: The Stick of Truth , Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag - Freedom Cry, Watchdogs, etc.

Last edited:

MrS

Banned
Very disappointing. Jade Raymond is just a name and has produced incredibly little of value to the industry. Sad to see Sony just going this route TBH. Given her recent track record I'd be willing to put money on her leaving the company before any game has been shipped.

Last edited:

SSfox

Honestly i'm starting questioning what's going on with Sony recently with some of the weirdest decision making. I'm guessing they did that because it must be super cheap (since it's indie) cause Jade Raymond has done nothing, even AC1 it was Patrick Desilet the mind behind it not Jade.

I feel like i need to print Ken Kutaragi picture and put it in my room cause i feel my playstation spirit is being corrupted and disturbed recently with those Jimbo and Hermen decisions making.

Last edited:

SLB1904

Banned
Honestly i'm starting questioning what's going on with Sony recently with some of the weirdest decision making. I'm guessing they did that because it must be super cheap (since it's indie) cause Jade Raymond has done nothing, even AC1 it was Patrick Desilet the mind behind it not Jade.

I feel like i need to print Ken Kutaragi picture and put it in my room cause i feel my playstation spirit is being corrupted and disturbed recently with those Jimbo and Hermen decisions making.
yeah because Ken Kutaragi is well known for good decision making

Top Bottom