• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jaffe on GOW3 - "Looks like a painting come to life"

Status
Not open for further replies.

AAK

People were expecting something that would destroy Advent Children, and left disappointed. Too bad..

Skilletor

Gig said:
Whatever those Gauntlet things are, they look sick.

I can only hope they are like the gauntlets in CoO, which are the most entertaining weapons in the series, imo. Only weapon I've ever preferred over the default.

Esch

Banned
BrandNew said:
Why would that change anything? It's not like the completely re-fucking-designed the game right after Jaffe saw the footage he spoke of. It's not Wind Waker.

Maybe they did, at least graphically. You don't know anything at all about GOW3's development history, you don't know when this teaser was put together, you don't know what the final product will look like:

The bottom line is: You're complaining about the failure to live up to an abstract description of a game as a "painting come to life" based on about 10-15 seconds of a teaser which the description apparently doesn't apply to. Why? :/

YYZ

TheExodu5 said:
That, however, if actual free-form gameplay and 60fps, is leaps and bounds above anything else out there. The only 60fps game that approaches that visually is DMC4, and it doesn't quite cut it. Of course, maybe that's only 30fps, and maybe that's a QTE, in which case, I'd be wrong.

If that actually is free-form gameplay, then that's quite a massive leap from the PS2 games. Wall running and latching onto an enemy so seamlessly looks awesome.
Please don't expect to be able to do that kind of stuff in-game, or "free-form" as you call it. God of War has never had any of that kind of combat in the game, it is more about button presses to form combos and the animations that fleshed out those combos. Anything that looks that cool would have to be QTE, I can't say 100% obviously but I'm trying to be realistic. I think the most complex shit I've seen in an action game would be Ninja Gaiden, and God of War is quite different.

About the frame rate, if it is not 60fps, I will be hugely disappointed. I hope it's unrealistic to expect 720p@60fps when it has been done and this is one of the best studios in the world, and this is possibly 3+ years into the PS3's life. Also considering this is an action game where animations are key.

I bet if any of you guys showed this to your buddies that play games, but don't argue on message boards, they would be blown away (that is if they don't hate God of War or action games in general).

EschatonDX said:
The bottom line is: You're complaining about the failure to live up to an abstract description of a game as a "painting come to life" based on about 10-15 seconds of a teaser which the description apparently doesn't apply to. Why? :/

Because it was a ridiculous statement to make in the beginning. IT LOOKS LIKE GOD OF WAR ON PS3 is all I would say.

Schrade

Ploid 3.0 said:
Wish they had more time to finish the game. Same for the first KZ2 footage, if only GG had time to get it out of the state it was in.

That video shows me great possibilities. I like what I see so far, but I have a feeling this is only the beginning of GOW3 footage. Seeing all those enemies on the screen give me thoughts of new and more varied gameplay situations to mix things up. The textures look plane on his face to me too, but even if they keep it like this it won't bother me. I just hope they amaze me with more impressive events than the ps2 gow's did. Bring it on!
Wat.

Killzone 2 has always looked fuck-awesome as long as the video/images were not overcompressed. The fact that it looks better now is a good sign for God of War 3 since that will get a polishing just like Killzone 2 got its polishing.

God of War 3 needs some better textures and perhaps some additional shaders and it should be fine. All I'm saying is the footage isn't drop-a-shit impressive yet.

kevm3

Guys attempting to troll this game or ridicule Jaffe somehow conveniently didn't hear when Jaffe said, "The footage that looks like a painting isn't what they're showing. However, it still does look very good."

And guess what, the footage does look very good.

This same phenomena existed in God of War 2. Some of the normal fights looked pretty good, but not mindblowing, such as this scene:
god2_04.jpg

And then you had scenes like this or especially Atlas that were mindblowing for the time:
932295_20070312_screen004.jpg

It's obvious we haven't seen the more well-crafted portions of the game, yet we'll still have several here try and take liberties and say "LOLS JAFFE STUPID JAFFE, WHERE'S THE PAINTING?"

Raist said:
Why are people acting like the game is released tomorrow ?

Did you forget what happened with KZ2 ?

No kidding, this game probably won't come out till March of 2010 at the earliest. We have a long way to go.

Sean

Banned
Stumpokapow said:
I don't think it looks bad, but it looks pretty much standard for PS360 and that's a pretty severe backslide compared to GoW1 and GoW2 which looked pretty much in the top 5% or so of last gen.

Sums up my thoughts exactly. Ignoring other systems, I wouldn't even put this in the top 5 PS3 games visually - stuff like KZ2, Heavy Rain, MGS4, and Uncharted (1&2) all look much better to me. This footage looks more on the level of DMC4's graphics. It's not bad, just a bit underwhelming especially considering the pedigree of the franchise.

Still early yet though so I'm sure the final product will look quite a bit better.

Guys... Let it go. And I mean that for the few sane people in the thread.

Really... For all intents and purposes Killzone2 has delivered "a lot". Honestly? Far more than anyone thought possible. And yet most Killzone2 threads are just a big ugly System War filled with people complaining and defending.

God of War 3 will be trolled ridiculously no matter how well it delivers (or fails to deliver) as has already been proven by the various threads on Killzone 2 (which DID deliver).

The only proper response to someone who is trolling or wearing such hate filled eye goggles that they can't let it go... is this:

"You are entitled to your opinion though I think you are really REALLY off base."

Trust me you'll have a happier life.

Boss Man

I think a lot of defenders are getting the wrong impression.

I will probably be there day one for God of War 3, enjoy every minute of it, and lick its shiny underbelly. The footage I saw today was just...not impressive. It didn't live up to the expectations I had both from the previous two games and Jaffe's remark.

Really high expectations, decent delivery. It's not like there's no way it'll look better by the time it releases... The only two things that caught my eye were the entrails when he tore that big group apart and the animation when Kratos was running up the wall. The former is sort of a technical achievement, but the latter just looks fun. It looks like an HD version of God of War 2 to me. Maybe it's simply the art direction that's holding it back, because I feel the same way visually about this as I did about Halo 2 -> Halo 3.

Seeing some movement on Kratos might have helped. Some clothes/jewelry bouncing around would have added a lot I think. I can see where the "dull" comment was coming from. The game looks great, but I can see how it's dull visually. There's not enough...life to it.

Rikyfree

I'm guessing that Jaffe saw the most up to date form of the engine they are using, and that this is using an early build. I really hope that this is the case, because I was expecting at least KZ2 quality, not to say that this looks bad. I was expecting more from Santa Monica is all. Please say that you saw the most up to date engine of this game, David. Please.

anddo0

UntoldDreams said:
Guys... Let it go. And I mean that for the few sane people in the thread.

Really... For all intents and purposes Killzone2 has delivered "a lot". Honestly? Far more than anyone thought possible. And yet most Killzone2 threads are just a big ugly System War filled with people complaining and defending.

God of War 3 will be trolled ridiculously no matter how well it delivers (or fails to deliver) as has already been proven by the various threads on Killzone 2 (which DID deliver).

The only proper response to someone who is trolling or wearing such hate filled eye goggles that they can't let it go... is this:

"You are entitled to your opinion though I think you are really REALLY off base."

Trust me you'll have a happier life.

This.. I mean we are at GAF/on the internet.

Esch

Banned
BrandNew said:
Because it was a ridiculous statement to make in the beginning. IT LOOKS LIKE GOD OF WAR ON PS3 is all I would say.

How on earth do you know what you would say about footage you haven't seen?

That makes no sense.

artredis1980 said:
but graphics dont change :p

yeah.. but setpieces do change. are people ignoring what kevm3 posted? I think he's spot on, and he even provide pictures.

normal encounter don't look super impressive even in GoW2. the set pieces are what we all love about GoW series. when they xoomed out the camera where you can see the really amazing background, or giant boss battle like Hyda and giant statue.

now in GoW3, even the normal encounter already look really really good with imo very impressive lighting. if that's not enough for you, at least wait until they show their signature setpieces like the first boss battle or some zoomed out environment stuff.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I don't see how its unfair or trolling to be a little bit disappointed by the graphical presentation.

Sure, it looks really quite nice, but when compared to the likes of God of War 2 it's really not the leap some people were probably hoping for. GoW2 is such a fucking amazing looking game for the PS2 that it seemed to be really pushing the system. Easily one of the best looking titles for that platform.

So you've got the foundations of a franchise that is renounded for looking absolutely gorgeous, and the original creator claiming that God of War 3 blows away Gears of War 2 on a visual level.

GoW3 undoubtedly looks great, will no doubt look even better as development progresses, and Jaffe claims the footage he saw was not show, but come on; what we're seeing is a game that visually doesn't look any more impressive than GeoW2, at least in my opinion.

It looks great, but its not the "OH MY CHRIST HOLY SHIT" mind-blown visual impact many of us expected, even if our expectations were foolish.

Truant

There's a part in TES 4: Oblivion that looks like a painting.

The new PoP looks like a painting.

This looks like GoW on the PS3. Not like a painting. Does it look good? Yes. Quite so.

YYZ

Not all paintings look the same though -_-

I think my IQ dropped after everything tonight, having to sit through the VGAs and now choosing to argue about this.

WinFonda

I see no reason to doubt Jaffe in this case. His initial comment of "looking like a painting" was made before it was announced that GOW3 would be at the VGAs. He made the comment of "that's not what I saw" prior to the actual VGA footage. If he's privy to the VGA footage before the VGA's, then there's no reason to believe that he wasn't also able to see more than that.

Raistlin

Skull said:
This footage looks amazing to you? The lighting looks alright, not great, but everything else looks like trash, if this looks good to you, you are crazy.

Oh wait, you guys own PS3's.... I guess then yeah, this footage would look amazing to you.:lol

How are you still here?

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I'd like if the bags-of-shit people could explain exactly what objective standard "painting" references. Starry Night is a painting. So is The Scream. And so is Der Blaue Reiter. And so is a brown square I made by wiping a random brush on a piece of paper. What is this crap about "O IT IS NOT A PAINTING". You're so stupid.

Aegus

kevm3 said:
"How is this possible on the PS2???"
atlas12.jpg

Technically I don't think it's much different from the previous screenshot. Concept wise it's a great scene.

GoW3 looks like a HD version of GoW to me, whcih means I'll be there day 1.

kevm3

I'm really impressed with how they showed in game footage and all we've seen were pretty much encounters with normal enemies.

r2q808.jpg

I wasn't blown away, but the fights with the normal enemies are typically the blandest looking parts of the God of War games... and even those looked very good. Look at how smooth the animation is. The self-shadowing is also amazing.

2jfhlkx.jpg

Awesome lighting.

r2q808.jpg

pj

Banned
It has that early this-gen too-clean look, they'll probably get it sorted out in the next 12 months

JCreasy

NameIess said:
I'm not defending shit...
It just does not make sense that people would say this is not impressive.

14ced5y.jpg

I don't think people realize that's gameplay.

THAT'S GAMEPLAY!

But honestly, most of the naysayers are people that don't WANT to be impressed.

aerofx

JCreasy said:
I don't think people realize that's gameplay.

THAT'S GAMEPLAY!

But honestly, most of the naysayers are people that don't WANT to be impressed.

not really. QTE gameplay always look impressive but the graphics are clearly realtime.

painting come to life? no :lol

Its tremendous how people think graphics make or break a game. Just imagine the epic shit you will be going through in this game...the set pieces...nothing but epic.

The problem (or maybe not a problem just human behavior) is that it is enjoyable to have deviant behavior about things for many people. Its what some people enjoy.

1) Some people want to raise a point of concern genuinely
2) Some people simply like to argue and debate on any topic
3) Some people feel better complaining about things... adding "value" by bitching
--Some cavemen feel its their Civic Duty (someone actually said this to me earlier)
4) Other people feel good by making other people angry or upset
5) And some people want to "p0wn" others to feel better about themselves

Of all those categories listed... Only #1 is a guy worth talking to because everyone else is simply trying to make themselves feel good by wasting your time.

So try to understand what someone is really saying. If they are anything other than Category#1 above... You "lose" by spending any time with them.
Wasting your time to feel better (or have fun) is their objective.

Don't waste your time. Disagree politely and move on.

I'm not going to come in here and make some stupid post about how this game won't live up to expectations, or that God Of War isn't one of the greatest action franchises to ever hit gaming...because those would be lies. It absolutely will be great and GOW is an incredible franchise.

That being said, this clip was below expectation, below technological innovation (between two gens) and quite frankly; was no where near what I was expecting for a reveal, especially after hearing Jaffe's fanboyistic exclamation of "OMGWTFITSAMAZING" later retracting it because the footage was either doctored or he had shot a load and needed to get out of the sight of the camera to clean himself off.

Either way, it just was not that great of footage, but I have no doubts that Sony will pull it off, and I can't wait to see more.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Using GIF's to prove image quality is a waste of time, everything looks great as a GIF since it's small enough to hide all the flaws.

Hell this God of War II GIF looks every bit as great as the GOW3 one does.

214wn5h.jpg

Loudninja

Sinatar said:
Using GIF's to prove image quality is a waste of time, everything looks great as a GIF since it's small enough to hide all the flaws.

Hell this God of War II GIF looks every bit as great as the GOW3 one does.

gif

No it does not :lol

aerofx

Revolutionary said:
jesus christ...

are you people purposely ignoring the fact that Jaffe said LAST WEEK that the Spike trailer wasn't what he was referring to or what?

huh? I don't get it. :scratch

It's stated in the first post?

Wasn't to impressed by the footage on any level. Pretty much the same gameplay stuff we're used to seeing, and the graphics are about what I expected.

Probably has to do with me being completely burnt out on the series lately though after having played through both games in the last year.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
davidjaffe said:
FWIW,

I think this looks pretty good. So you know where my barometer sits.

BUT this is not- as I said last week- the stuff I was/am talking about.

I stand by my comments and am eager for Sony to get some of that stunning PAINTING QUALITY footage out asap...just to prove I ain't bullshitting folks.

David
^
(Today, 07:27 PM)

FFS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom