• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jaffe on GOW3 - "Looks like a painting come to life"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guymelef

1080p
fkbjv9.jpg

5arpcy.jpg

2u6gqbq.jpg

scc368.jpg

2iut1n7.jpg

2yjwps6.jpg

23t01om.jpg

120sbpl.jpg

4g3sbk.jpg

Onix said:
all scea videos have been

Why would anyone output a web video at 60fps? NTSC standard is 29.9 I dont get why
people think that is indicative of the games speed.

Im not one to troll but damn that is some unimpressive stuff. I just watched some God of War 2 footage and
of course this is better but not by as much as you would expect.

Raistlin

BruceLeeRoy said:
Why would anyone output a web video at 60fps? NTSC standard is 29.9 I dont get why
people think that is indicative of the games speed.

Actually, gamersyde does release 60fps vids for 60fps games iirc.

Raistlin

BTW - I think a lot of people hear are nuts ... and will be eating crow by the flock.

The game is early, and already shows aspects beyond its peers.

he looks like he is fighting ontop of the
Gaia (Earth Titan), check the chains like other noted
, would explain the forresty landscape

I can't wait to see the daylight and grandiose stages

hitoshi

As some of you have seen, GoW3's graphics although not too bad, aren't what most people expected them to be. The reason being:
Jaffes over-hyping! You know, HOLY FUCKING SHIT FUCK FUCK or something like that...

The thing about it is, Jaffe later on stated that the VGA trailer wasn't what he had been hyping, and that it wasn't anything special. Actually what he had seen was something completely different.
http://criminalcrackdown.blogspot.com/
The thing is, it seems as though the trailer Sony has released is from an old code from the game, and not the current code. Meaning the games current graphics are (maybe far?) supperior to the graphics we where shown.

Now, you may ask yourselves: Why the hell would sony do that, to their own game!?

The answer is simple: Killzone 2!

After the huge mistake of over-hyping their own game back in 05. Sony pumped a crapload of money into their game, to meet the audiences expectations.
And what KZ2 is mainly running on is clearly:
Best looking console game to date!!!

If they were now to show us the "true" GoW3 footage, which would reveal graphics close to KZ2 level or even supperior, the game they have been hyping so much and pumped so much money and effort into, would most likely "dissapear in the crowd".

KZ2 is what Sonys currently counting on, and we probably won't see anything from GoW3 until KZ2 has been released.

Makes sense or what?!

http://forums.gametrailers.com/?do=show_thread&id=547035

DeadGzuz

Banned
These vids already look a much better than sub-HD stuff like NG2. If this is game play then this will be a top tier game for graphics. Did you all see the part where he is engulfed in dudes in HD? Epic.

Cruzader

Banned
ShOcKwAvE said:
Do you have a link to someone from Guerilla stating that it was pre-pre alpha? If not, you're just making stuff up.

And I completely disagree that the early graphics pale in comparison. They look practically identical to me.

are you serious? Bruce or anyone else not lazy,give this guy some ownage.

Was expecting much much better BUT, like Killzone 2 i have faith that they will still show an incredibly amazing game!

Remember, KZ2 was first shown in CGI form in 2005 and no one believed that those graphics were possible whilst now they have made it look even better :lol

FirewalkR

Lord Error said:
Well, the video is 30FPS, but that's a standard fare for SCEA videos. I don't think they ever published a 60FPS video for any of their 60FPS gmes. SCEE on the other hand does that sometimes.

iirc, either one of the killzone 2 or motorstorm 2 trailers was at 60fps. I remember that because when I stepped frame by frame with the PS3 the picture would update every 2 frames (and it was smooth during playback). I don't remember checking it in a PC though.

Still... whoever releases a 60fps trailer for a 30fps game is bound to do the opposite I guess. o:^)

That screen above looks really nice to me... I've played HS, and given that this is early, I think this game will look more impressive (art is a different matter)...there are already more effects in evidence

10dollas

Banned
Poor Shockwave, his name is just so fitting in this situation. It is as if he created a shockwave ripple throughout the whole thread causing other Gaffers to jump at the opportunity and slit each others throats just to get at this guy to correct him... I'm glad others can read into the subtext of things.

FirewalkR

Blimblim said:
Yeah, when it makes sense to do so. Racing games mostly.

CONFESS BLIM!!!!

You have the original 60fps sources. In fact, you have a playable demo!!!

And every night you sleep holding the preview disc very very tight to your chest!!!!!!

Dare you deny it????

ShOcKwAvE

Cruzader said:
are you serious? Bruce or anyone else not lazy,give this guy some ownage.

Wow, how sad are you that you ask someone to "own" someone else for you?

I don't have my dates straight, but I wonder if you're referring to some K2 physics demo a while ago. That is much different from the debut of K2's real engine.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
FirewalkR said:
CONFESS BLIM!!!!

You have the original 60fps sources. In fact, you have a playable demo!!!

And every night you sleep holding the preview disc very very tight to your chest!!!!!!

Dare you deny it????
I think silence is the best reply to such vile accusations.
Actually it's under my pillow

Big-E said:
Only GAF can look at that trailer and say it fails graphically. Absurd.

Seriously I don't get this AT ALL. I think it looks really great, and this is coming from someone that does not even like the God of War series.

ShOcKwAvE said:

I don't have my dates straight, but I wonder if you're referring to some K2 physics demo a while ago. That is much different from the debut of K2's real engine.

No I am talking about the E3 2008 video compared to the latest. Here Ill see If I can find them.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
jett said:
The 1080p video has clearly been upscaled. I guess GOW3 "supports" 1080p just like games like MGS4 do. :p
Yes, but the 720P trailer has some insane image quality. AA is through the roof there, even suspiciously so. Surprised noone commented about that before.

BruceLeeRoy said:
Why would anyone output a web video at 60fps? NTSC standard is 29.9 I dont get why people think that is indicative of the games speed.
Several SCEE videos have been encoded in 60FPS, for games that actually run at 60FPS. SSDHD trailers for example. It depends if the developer makes the 60FPS master to begin with though.

The Stig is directing GoW3.

"We have large shoes to fill following the success of the previously released God of War titles," said Stig Asmussen, Game Director for God of War 3. "But with refined gameplay and jaw-dropping visuals, I guarantee that God of War will give fans what they have been eagerly waiting for, and much more."

Set in the realm of Greek mythology, God of War 3 is a single-player game that allows players to take on the climatic role of the ex-Spartan warrior, Kratos, as he treads through the intimidating heights of Mt. Olympus and the dark depths of Hell once more to seek revenge on those who have betrayed him. Armed with double-chained blades, Kratos must take on mythology's darkest creatures while solving intricate puzzles throughout his merciless quest to destroy Olympus.

Utilizing a new game engine built from the ground up and state-of-the-art visual technologies, the development team behind God of War 3 have made significant strides in giving players the realistic feel of actually being on the battlegrounds. With texture resolutions being quadrupled since God of War 2, God of War 3 will feature fluid, life-like characters, as well as dynamic lighting effects, a robust weapon system, and world-changing scenarios that will truly bring unmistakable realism to Kratos' fateful quest. Players will have a chance to join battles on a grand scale with many more enemies on-screen and be able to interact with levels like never before.

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/938/938312p1.html

He was the art director for GoW2.

Raistlin

ShOcKwAvE said:

No ... we're talking about the E3 '07 playable demo versus the demo's from this year. There were dramatic differences.

You can even compare the E3 '08 playable demo versus the current stuff and see some significant changes.

Raistlin

Lord Error said:
Yes, but the 720P trailer has some insane image quality. AA is through the roof there, even suspiciously so. Surprised noone commented about that before.

It's one of the first things I commented about. IQ is through the roof. Reminds of KZ2 in that regard (which shouldn't be surprising - I'd expect there is a lot of shared tech in here, seeing how Santa Monica helped with KZ2).

Several SCEE videos have been encoded in 60FPS, for games that actually run at 60FPS. SSDHD trailers for example. It depends if the developer makes the 60FPS master to begin with though.

This

ShOcKwAvE said:
Do you have a link to someone from Guerilla stating that it was pre-pre alpha? If not, you're just making stuff up.

And I completely disagree that the early graphics pale in comparison. They look practically identical to me.

didn't the text at the top of the footage say pre-alpha when they first showed killzone2?:lol

ShOcKwAvE

BobsRevenge said:
The early graphics most certainly do pale in comparison. A lot of the textures were terrible back then, now they are all at least decent.

I've looked at both and they both look amazing. At no point do I look at the new one and go "oh wow, that's so much better."

ChackanKun said:
Was expecting much much better BUT, like Killzone 2 i have faith that they will still show an incredibly amazing game!

Remember, KZ2 was first shown in CGI form in 2005 and no one believed that those graphics were possible whilst now they have made it look even better :lol

Looks nothing like the original CGI.

-Rogue5-

I actually appreciated the trailer simply because it seems plausible that it'll actually run at 1080p (native) and 60fps. Plus it retains that GoW-look and a couple of those scenes were looked pretty awesome as the screen was full of grunts... pretty awesome.

Busty

Banned
What a clusterfuck this thread is.

Even for GAF it is loathesome for posters to dismiss it so completely, so early.

This game is a year away.

Everything else is just background noise at this point.

Wait until E3 until you cast your final judgement.

Take it for what it is at this time.

A teaser.

That is all.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Very promissing comment there about being able to interact with the environments. I was hoping for that all alone, as it was one of the thing missing from the previous games. Well, not really missing, but it wasn't as much as I'd think there should be,

-Rogue5- said:
I actually appreciated the trailer simply because it seems plausible that it'll actually run at 1080p (native) and 60fps
I don't think it's 1080p native. 1080p trailer looks pretty clearly upscaled.

ShOcKwAvE

Busty said:
What a clusterfuck this thread is.

Even for GAF it is loathesome for posters to dismiss it so completely, so early.

This game is a year away.

Everything else is just background noise at this point.

Wait until E3 until you cast your final judgement.

A teaser.

That is all.

I think people here have the right to judge what they saw. They're not judging the final game because that's impossible.

WHOAguitarninja said:
Seriously I don't get this AT ALL. I think it looks really great, and this is coming from someone that does not even like the God of War series.

Personally I think it is a combination of the fact that the game shares the same art as the previous games, and the setting is a little drab... because, if you actually look at the detail... it is pretty damn impressive. I think the texturing is excellent

zoukka

Busty said:

I think everyone has been doing that all thread long no?

Surely it will get more polish and these aren't the best locales the game has to offer, but on the other hand NO GAME deserves blind faith I think.

ShOcKwAvE said:
I think people here have the right to judge what they saw. They're not judging the final game because that's impossible.
right. when a developer is saying 'Gears of War 2 looks amazing but WAIT UNTIL YOU SEE MY GAME!' is it really loathesome of us to say 'wait a second this doesn't look as good as the developer was hyping it to.'?

that seems like a crazy thing to say. i mean, obviously it isn't finished etc... but the claim was that when we saw the game we'd be blown away, not that we'd be blown away when the game was finished (which we still might be). we saw the game. we weren't blown away.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom