• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jaffe on GOW3 - "Looks like a painting come to life"

Status
Not open for further replies.

gcubed

Slicer said:
Woah woah woah, are you sony/Gow fanboys telling me thats its ok to say the game looks AMAZING based on a few seconds of video but all those who say its not that good looking are haters....Are you fucking kidding me i mean really grow up an accept that everyone has the right to an opinion, weather it bashes your favorite system/game or not.

God you people take games to damn serious:lol

shut your mouth

The Chef

BruceLeeRoy said:
Im not trying to harp on you man I am honestly trying to help here.
But this is really not something that is opinion based. The game looks
far far far better. Here let me be of some further service.

i4mibs.jpg

As I really hope you can see the left side or "older build" looks much
worse than the right side "newer build" its not because they added
a few more hairs to rico's eyebrow or upgraded the textures its
a complete overhaul.

If you honestly are telling me the differences are minor I have failed
you and your reputation will be forever branded.

:lol

Slicer said:
Woah woah woah, are you sony/Gow fanboys telling me thats its ok to say the game looks AMAZING based on a few seconds of video but all those who say its not that good looking are haters....Are you fucking kidding me i mean really grow up an accept that everyone has the right to an opinion, weather it bashes your favorite system/game or not.

You must not take spelling too seriously. :lol

Certainly the better trailer off the PSN, but I really don't think this should have been shown this early. It just wasn't ready yet and I didn't see the need for it to be shown now anyways. After the hype and Jaffe's comments, I guess it makes it look worse for it.

I know this game will look great when the time comes but not in the state it was here.

shpankey

not an idiot
Had the Jaffe not set absurd expectations, I doubt I'd be so let down. It's his fault for making such outlandish comments.

Esperado

I love how stupid everyone here is. Jaffe said this wasn't the footage he saw. For all we know there could be a completely different part of the game that takes place in a painting or something. Jaffe said what he did based on what he saw internally. Sony and Santa Monica released this footage, David Jaffe had nothing to do with it. Once again, you are all stupid.

ShOcKwAvE

Here's what people have said to me in a GOW3 thread about my K2 comment:

BobsRevenge said:
The early graphics most certainly do pale in comparison. A lot of the textures were terrible back then, now they are all at least decent.
Nafai1123 said:
You can clearly see how much KZ2 has improved since a year ago...
BruceLeeRoy said:
I am not impressed at all by the trailer but you must not have seen the comparison shots between the KZ2 reveal trailer and the newest version it looks like its on a whole new engine.
Onix said:
Then you have not looked at quality media. There was a substantial improvement in the graphics ... especially texturing.
Cruzader said:
are you serious? Bruce or anyone else not lazy,give this guy some ownage.
Nafai1123 said:
If you can't see the incredibly OBVIOUS increase in lighting quality in those screen, then you have no right to judge anything visually.

So basically, we see a few individuals who can't bare someone to have a different opinion about a video game's graphics. They're compelled to point me to videos and screenshots that I've already seen so that I can come back and agree with them. If I don't, I'm clearly blind or have no right to make judgments.

So explain how what they're doing makes any sense in rational thought?

Oh, I particularly love this last one:

BruceLeeRoy said:
Im not trying to harp on you man I am honestly trying to help here. But this is really not something that is opinion based. The game looks
far far far better.

Apparently I need "help" because my personal definition of words like "difference" and "huge" are not well understood through text on a video game forum. Since Bruce has declared that comparing two versions of the exact same game is "not opinion-based," his opinion is final. Thus, if I say something that he can't quite understand, regardless of whether it's because I'm blind or because I simply see things differently, I am therefore wrong.

I would also be very wrong if I said the difference was night and day, as if the older version was like Galaga and the newer version was like a Pixar film. He would then say to me, "no no, the difference isn't that huge, you're blind if you think that." Next he would post the same comparison pics in an effort to "prove" that the difference are closer than I think they are. "Look Shockwave, they're absolutely comparable!"

So if my opinion is toward either extreme of what he thinks, then I am wrong and he is right. Again, it's not up for discussion in a GOW3 thread since I am blind.

Edit:

Now I fully expect some of them to come back with their own explanations of why I am wrong, since they won't be able to let it go. Everyone keep that in mind. Still, let's hope they can get back to discussing GOW3 instead of why my personal opinions are stupid.

jonnyp

Manberg900 said:
Some of you need to be bro raped

:lol

As much as I hate reading through all the stupid shit in this thread (and Uncharted's), it's nice to weed out the morons and put them on the ignore list.

TheExodu5

Banned
ShOcKwAvE said:
We're not nitpicking textures. We're talking about the overall graphics. I SEE a difference, but not a huge difference. If you do, whatever, you can do that, but I have human eyes just like you and I've looked at the same screenshots and videos. Why are you so obsessed with convincing others that you're opinion is superior?

Do you not notice the massive changes regarding the dynamic range of the lighting, much higher color range, and depth of field?

Slicer said:

I have an opinion. That opinion is that your opinion is shit.

ShOcKwAvE said:
Now I fully expect some of them to come back with their own explanations of why I am wrong, since they won't be able to let it go. Everyone keep that in mind. Still, let's hope they can get back to discussing GOW3 instead of why my personal opinions are stupid.

Sorry if I hit a lot of nerves man. Its pretty clear to me but as you said it just a opinion no matter
how obvious I might think it is.

BruceLeeRoy said:
Im not trying to harp on you man I am honestly trying to help here.
But this is really not something that is opinion based. The game looks
far far far better. Here let me be of some further service.

*snip*

As I really hope you can see the left side or "older build" looks much
worse than the right side "newer build" its not because they added
a few more hairs to rico's eyebrow or upgraded the textures its
a complete overhaul.

If you honestly are telling me the differences are minor I have failed
you and your reputation will be forever branded.
Why are you screwing up the gamma/contrast on the before shots?

Raistlin

ShOcKwAvE said:
We're not nitpicking textures. We're talking about the overall graphics. I SEE a difference, but not a huge difference. If you do, whatever, you can do that, but I have human eyes just like you and I've looked at the same screenshots and videos. Why are you so obsessed with convincing others that you're opinion is superior?

I personally find the difference in lighting, texturing, and in some cases, effects quite dramatic. I don't think I'm nitpicking at all.

As for convincing others about opinion ... you're the one that seems to be trying to convince others. Most people that have been paying attentiong to KZ2 are in agreement of the upgrades. Crap, you're doing it in this very post.

Afrikan

alr1ghtstart said:
Well nothing like exclusives brings fanboys out attacking eachother. Take a look at these youtube comments: :lol
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_UnP-FzSUKg

No stupid, you're the retard...don't be telling me that I paid 599 US dollars, 599 US dollars to play Sony's DNA of PS2 graphic. I expected more for 599 US dollars so I can do massive damage in God of war 3 as advertised! Go buy a PS3 to play Pong, pretty smart right retard?

:lol Sony's DNA

Guymelef

If people doesn't waste the time with this stupid discussions could see the best thing in the trailer, all is "inside" of a Titan.
Hype+1.

Vangellis

Well at this point even if it looked like that video I would still buy it. Its going to kick ass. Im sure it will look better, its very early.

Honolulu

Neo Member
Just watched the 1080p teaser.
Game looks sick. I like the fact that there are almost no cutscenes whatsoever in the trailer, only appetizers from gameplay. Wish it was longer though :)

YYZ

Skilletor said:
How can you tell?
The shot where Kratos is smashing something is actually a giant chain. If you recall in Greek myth, Zeus conquered the Titans and had them enslaved/chained up in massive chains. Remember Atlus from GoW I? The entire Pandora's temple was on him I think. At the end of GoW II, Kratos enlists the help of the Titans (Cronos in particular), the last shot is of them climbing up Mount Olympus. I'm guessing that Kratos is freeing one of the Titans from his massive chains, which is pretty fuck awesome in terms of scale.

In the shot with the skelozombies on Kratos, there's a giant chain link in the background as well.

whitehawk

Banned
Guymelef said:
If people doesn't waste the time with this stupid discussions could see the best thing in the trailer, all is "inside" of a Titan.
Hype+1.
Oh shit.

Watched the trailer again and your right. :D :D

RavenFox

Banned
Guymelef said:
Hype+1.
Woah...

Nooreo said:
I dont know about you but Gears 2 looks better.Im still waiting for some gameplay footage.
I lol at you

Honolulu

Neo Member
Guymelef said:
Hype+1.

Yeah. your'e right. Besides the chains, You can see how the environment is turning around and the foliage, stones, debris and everything is effected by the Titan's movement . :D
Watch the the first part with the cyclops and you'll understand.
Gaia probably, judging by the end of gow2

davidjaffe

The Fucking MAN.
So my take on all of this, FWIW:

a- The footage aired on Spike looked meh. It was dark and grainy and I was watching on a SD television. But the SAME footage shown in screen grabs from this thread- which I guess was taken off an HDTV playing the footage in HD- was 100% ONE of the two GOD OF WAR 3 things I saw when I was in Santa Monica a few weeks ago. It is NOT the thing I was raving about- as I made clear in a video post a week ago- but I still think it looks darn good. To me, the stuff Spike showed when viewed in proper resolution looks like a AAA God Of War to me. It doesn’t rock my world but it doesn’t look: meh. It looks like I’d expect a next-gen GOW to look. Granted, the team still has a long way to go and I imagine the final game- in all areas- will look much better. But I still thought it looked good. Fair to disagree but at least you know where I am coming from/where my barometer is set for my expectations of AAA next gen graphics.
b- What I was raving about has not been shown outside of internal Sony meetings. I imagine it will be shown soon, but I have no idea. I also assume that the Spike stuff was turned in earlier than the stuff I saw (that I raved about) as the stuff I saw was for a meeting and didn’t need to be edited, reviewed by Spike,Sony marketing,etc. The stuff I saw that I raved about was probably finished 1-2 days before I got to the studios. The Spike stuff I saw had aleady been turned into Spike so it was 100% older. Not that I thought it was bad- again- just I can see how the new stuff I saw looked further along, for sure. And to give you an idea, the stuff I saw that I raved about looked about 25-30% better than what you see in this thread (the Spike footage played on HD). If that’s not exciting and cool enough for you, fair enough. It happened to blow me away and remains the best looking console game I’ve ever seen…beyond Gears 2 which so far is the best looking console game ever released.
c- Fuck you idiots with the painting thing. It’s not semantics, it’s not a trick phrase. If you know God of War then it doesn’t take much of a leap to assume I meant the footage looked like a painting of the concept art or a realistic, but bold and dramatic Renaissance era style painting. I am well aware a painting can be Andy Warhol style or can be Wind Waker style or can be- as one eloquent Gaffer wrote- simply them wiping their ass on paper and calling that a painting. But come on…is this really something you want to bust my balls on? We can argue and debate- when the footage comes out- if you agree with me that the footage DOES INDEED feel like a GOD OF WAR painting/GOD OF WAR concept art piece come to life…that seems a fair debate. But do you people really want to keep wasting your time and energy acting as if I was trying to sneak something by you because the term ‘painting’ can encompass all art styles? I think it was pretty clear what I meant. If I had seen something in GOD OF WAR 3 that indicated the art style had changed to a PAINTED Manga style or a WINDWAKER painted style or even something that tried to emulate the painted stylings of one particular neo gaffer’s fecal paste splattered onto a sheet of Charmin, then I would have hinted at something like that…but I didn’t so isn’t it kind of obvious what kind of painting I meant?
d. Some of the venom aimed at me is amazing. I'm not out to get anyone, I'm not out to screw anyone over. I was expressing my feelings on a game I had seen. It was not PR it was not spin it was not marketing. It was being jazzed about some ultra cool graphics and tech and I was sharing that info and excitement. I stand to gain NOTHING if GOD OF WAR 3 is a success. Hell, I stand to lose more if it is a big hit given that if the game fails- which it will not come close to failure, by the way- but if it DID fail, I look even better because then folks will go, "well, see what happens when Jaffe leaves...the game falls apart" and my stock goes up. Not that I want that to happen and not that that will happen given the talent on that team and what I have seen so far, but all I am saying is: to those who think this was/is some sort of attempt at starting a hype train, use your heads.

Take care- eager for the footage I saw to come out and then have that discussion/debate.

Later ya’ll…

David

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
Nooreo said:
I dont know about you but Gears 2 looks better.Im still waiting for some gameplay footage.

gears of war ii looks better than the obscure dirt texture on the ground in god of war iii, y'mean?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom