• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jaffe on GOW3 - "Looks like a painting come to life"

Status
Not open for further replies.
davidjaffe said:
So my take on all of this, FWIW:

a- The footage aired on Spike looked meh. It was dark and grainy and I was watching on a SD television. But the SAME footage shown in screen grabs from this thread- which I guess was taken off an HDTV playing the footage in HD- was 100% ONE of the two GOD OF WAR 3 things I saw when I was in Santa Monica a few weeks ago. It is NOT the thing I was raving about- as I made clear in a video post a week ago- but I still think it looks darn good. To me, the stuff Spike showed when viewed in proper resolution looks like a AAA God Of War to me. It doesn’t rock my world but it doesn’t look: meh. It looks like I’d expect a next-gen GOW to look. Granted, the team still has a long way to go and I imagine the final game- in all areas- will look much better. But I still thought it looked good. Fair to disagree but at least you know where I am coming from/where my barometer is set for my expectations of AAA next gen graphics.
b- What I was raving about has not been shown outside of internal Sony meetings. I imagine it will be shown soon, but I have no idea. I also assume that the Spike stuff was turned in earlier than the stuff I saw (that I raved about) as the stuff I saw was for a meeting and didn’t need to be edited, reviewed by Spike,Sony marketing,etc. The stuff I saw that I raved about was probably finished 1-2 days before I got to the studios. The Spike stuff I saw had aleady been turned into Spike so it was 100% older. Not that I thought it was bad- again- just I can see how the new stuff I saw looked further along, for sure. And to give you an idea, the stuff I saw that I raved about looked about 25-30% better than what you see in this thread (the Spike footage played on HD). If that’s not exciting and cool enough for you, fair enough. It happened to blow me away and remains the best looking console game I’ve ever seen…beyond Gears 2 which so far is the best looking console game ever released.
c- Fuck you idiots with the painting thing. It’s not semantics, it’s not a trick phrase. If you know God of War then it doesn’t take much of a leap to assume I meant the footage looked like a painting of the concept art or a realistic, but bold and dramatic Renaissance era style painting. I am well aware a painting can be Andy Warhol style or can be Wind Waker style or can be- as one eloquent Gaffer wrote- simply them wiping their ass on paper and calling that a painting. But come on…is this really something you want to bust my balls on? We can argue and debate- when the footage comes out- if you agree with me that the footage DOES INDEED feel like a GOD OF WAR painting/GOD OF WAR concept art piece come to life…that seems a fair debate. But do you people really want to keep wasting your time and energy acting as if I was trying to sneak something by you because the term ‘painting’ can encompass all art styles? I think it was pretty clear what I meant. If I had seen something in GOD OF WAR 3 that indicated the art style had changed to a PAINTED Manga style or a WINDWAKER painted style or even something that tried to emulate the painted stylings of one particular neo gaffer’s fecal paste splattered onto a sheet of Charmin, then I would have hinted at something like that…but I didn’t so isn’t it kind of obvious what kind of painting I meant?
d. Some of the venom aimed at me is amazing. I'm not out to get anyone, I'm not out to screw anyone over. I was expressing my feelings on a game I had seen. It was not PR it was not spin it was not marketing. It was being jazzed about some ultra cool graphics and tech and I was sharing that info and excitement. I stand to gain NOTHING if GOD OF WAR 3 is a success. Hell, I stand to lose more if it is a big hit given that if the game fails- which it will not come close to failure, by the way- but if it DID fail, I look even better because then folks will go, "well, see what happens when Jaffe leaves...the game falls apart" and my stock goes up. Not that I want that to happen and not that that will happen given the talent on that team and what I have seen so far, but all I am saying is: to those who think this was/is some sort of attempt at starting a hype train, use your heads.

Take care- eager for the footage I saw to come out and then have that discussion/debate.

Later ya’ll…

David

Thanks for the post man. I cant wait to see what your talking about.

davidjaffe said:

a- The footage aired on Spike looked meh. It was dark and grainy and I was watching on a SD television. But the SAME footage shown in screen grabs from this thread- which I guess was taken off an HDTV playing the footage in HD- was 100% ONE of the two GOD OF WAR 3 things I saw when I was in Santa Monica a few weeks ago. It is NOT the thing I was raving about- as I made clear in a video post a week ago- but I still think it looks darn good. To me, the stuff Spike showed when viewed in proper resolution looks like a AAA God Of War to me. It doesn’t rock my world but it doesn’t look: meh. It looks like I’d expect a next-gen GOW to look. Granted, the team still has a long way to go and I imagine the final game- in all areas- will look much better. But I still thought it looked good. Fair to disagree but at least you know where I am coming from/where my barometer is set for my expectations of AAA next gen graphics.
b- What I was raving about has not been shown outside of internal Sony meetings. I imagine it will be shown soon, but I have no idea. I also assume that the Spike stuff was turned in earlier than the stuff I saw (that I raved about) as the stuff I saw was for a meeting and didn’t need to be edited, reviewed by Spike,Sony marketing,etc. The stuff I saw that I raved about was probably finished 1-2 days before I got to the studios. The Spike stuff I saw had aleady been turned into Spike so it was 100% older. Not that I thought it was bad- again- just I can see how the new stuff I saw looked further along, for sure. And to give you an idea, the stuff I saw that I raved about looked about 25-30% better than what you see in this thread (the Spike footage played on HD). If that’s not exciting and cool enough for you, fair enough. It happened to blow me away and remains the best looking console game I’ve ever seen…beyond Gears 2 which so far is the best looking console game ever released.
c- Fuck you idiots with the painting thing. It’s not semantics, it’s not a trick phrase. If you know God of War then it doesn’t take much of a leap to assume I meant the footage looked like a painting of the concept art or a realistic, but bold and dramatic Renaissance era style painting. I am well aware a painting can be Andy Warhol style or can be Wind Waker style or can be- as one eloquent Gaffer wrote- simply them wiping their ass on paper and calling that a painting. But come on…is this really something you want to bust my balls on? We can argue and debate- when the footage comes out- if you agree with me that the footage DOES INDEED feel like a GOD OF WAR painting/GOD OF WAR concept art piece come to life…that seems a fair debate. But do you people really want to keep wasting your time and energy acting as if I was trying to sneak something by you because the term ‘painting’ can encompass all art styles? I think it was pretty clear what I meant. If I had seen something in GOD OF WAR 3 that indicated the art style had changed to a PAINTED Manga style or a WINDWAKER painted style or even something that tried to emulate the painted stylings of one particular neo gaffer’s fecal paste splattered onto a sheet of Charmin, then I would have hinted at something like that…but I didn’t so isn’t it kind of obvious what kind of painting I meant?
d. Some of the venom aimed at me is amazing. I'm not out to get anyone, I'm not out to screw anyone over. I was expressing my feelings on a game I had seen. It was not PR it was not spin it was not marketing. It was being jazzed about some ultra cool graphics and tech and I was sharing that info and excitement. I stand to gain NOTHING if GOD OF WAR 3 is a success. Hell, I stand to lose more if it is a big hit given that if the game fails- which it will not come close to failure, by the way- but if it DID fail, I look even better because then folks will go, "well, see what happens when Jaffe leaves...the game falls apart" and my stock goes up. Not that I want that to happen and not that that will happen given the talent on that team and what I have seen so far, but all I am saying is: to those who think this was/is some sort of attempt at starting a hype train, use your heads.

Take care- eager for the footage I saw to come out and then have that discussion/debate.

Later ya’ll…

David

u mad? lol

It's good to know that it will be looking better down the road (uh, obviously). Current stuff shown at Spike looked great, it just wasn't the 'best' that people were expecting from the God of War series -- same series that pushed both the PSP and PS2 past what we could have expected.

zoukka

Heh some people took the painting thing "literally". Nothing new in here :/

Watched the footage in HD and it's still pretty nice though too dark for my taste. And the centaur animation wasn't all that great to be honest. I hope they polish the animations a bit more.

Now show me some SCALE Sony.

diunxx

davidjaffe said:

Later ya’ll…

David

That was hard to read :/

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
so is this thread an example of why devs shouldnt show shit early?

this whole thread is +1 for Dennis Dyack

footage looks great though

Raistlin

zoukka said:
And the centaur animation wasn't all that great to be honest. I hope they polish the animations a bit more.

Okay, I'm going to have check out the fullHD version on PS3 (I viewed the 720p on my laptop last night, but it's performance isnt' that great).

I'm just a bit surprised by this statement. While certainly all things can be improved, probably the main thing that struck me was the quality and consistancy of the animation. So I'm having the completely opposite reaction here ... I actually thought that overall, this is some of the best animation I've ever seen in a game.

Greg

Onix said:
>_<

okay ... that was kind of funny
:lol

I just have to laugh at the people that give him so much shit - he's just pumped about fucking video games like the rest of us.

davidjaffe said:

Later ya’ll…

David
I was waiting for this post, I knew you'd come to the rescue. Listen to this man and fucking chill out people. The game looks gorgeous in it's current state and I can't wait to see the footage your talking about.

Forsete

-COOLIO- said:
so is this thread an example of why devs shouldnt show shit early?

this whole thread is +1 for Dennis Dyack

footage looks great though

If the end result is BBQ awesome, then who cares? I live seeing the development from for example Motorstorm 1 alpha to final game. Same for Motorstorm 2.

Raistlin

Greg said:
:lol

I just have to laugh at the people give him so much shit - he's just pumped about fucking video games like the rest of us.
:p

It does amaze me how insanely twisted his 'painting' comment was by people here. Okay, it doesn't surprise me, but still ... wtf gaf.

I'm going to be sad if GOW3 doesn't run at 60FPS (or should I say Paintings Per Second, lol) after playing number 1 and 2 at 60FPS.

The trailer ran at 30 on the screen at the VGA show. :(

davidjaffe said:
Fuck you idiots with the painting thing.
:lol :lol I'm sorry, but that shit was funny as hell.

I agree with the rest of it.

The game (we saw) doesn't look bad at all, but like a lot of people here said and I said last night, nothing above and beyond any other AAA titles in the current gen.

Here's to fanboys busting and going ga ga over anything related to their console of choice.

davidjaffe said:

Later ya’ll…

David

Dude, you don't have to explain yourself. Anyone with half a brain knows what your talking about, and the rest of the morons just like to bitch and moan over the internet.

I just have one question for ya cause your the shit............ From what you have seen, are they taking the game in the direction you set out on, or are they veering? Sorry but I still think the original God of War was the best and most focused.

personally I find the attacks on Jaffe ridiculous...of course he some stake in the game, he directed the first game...he has some legitimate connection, unlike many people on here... I thought he explained himself well, with more justification than is the norm on here....

Personally, I expect big things

You know what would be the sickest God of War 3 pre-order bonus ever? God of War 2, on a BD, playable in your PS3. I loved the first God of War, but couldn't get myself to drag out my PS2 to play God of War 2, but I still want to play it. That'd be amazing. But it'll never happen unfortunately, and since my PS3 isn't backwards compatible...I'm up shit's creek.

andycapps

ToyMachine228 said:
You know what would be the sickest God of War 3 pre-order bonus ever? God of War 2, on a BD, playable in your PS3. I loved the first God of War, but couldn't get myself to drag out my PS2 to play God of War 2, but I still want to play it. That'd be amazing. But it'll never happen unfortunately, and since my PS3 isn't backwards compatible...I'm up shit's creek.

Drag out that PS2, man.
Or you can hope that they bring software based backwards compatibility eventually

Greg

ToyMachine228 said:
You know what would be the sickest God of War 3 pre-order bonus ever? God of War 2, on a BD, playable in your PS3. I loved the first God of War, but couldn't get myself to drag out my PS2 to play God of War 2, but I still want to play it. That'd be amazing. But it'll never happen unfortunately.
Oh, man, please dust off the PS2 now and play it.

I usually don't give a shit what people play, but you have to.

Haunted

beelzebozo said:
looks. . . like god of war
davidjaffe said:
Agreed.

Raistlin

Dark Octave said:
The game (we saw) doesn't look bad at all, but like a lot of people here said and I said last night, nothing above and beyond any other AAA titles in the current gen.

IMO, lighting, animation, IQ, and in many instances, modeling looks to be better than its peers.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Well, that lasted long enough. Move on folks, Jaffe has spoken and it really didn't need to come to this. If you're still talking about how the teaser/trailer looked "meh" then that's your opinion and NOTHING will fucking change that. You using Jaffe as an excuse is somewhat downright laughable considering he mentioned that this was not the same footage that me him go wow.

Class dismissed.

WinFonda

SolidSnakex said:
The Stig is directing GoW3.

"We have large shoes to fill following the success of the previously released God of War titles," said Stig Asmussen, Game Director for God of War 3. "But with refined gameplay and jaw-dropping visuals, I guarantee that God of War will give fans what they have been eagerly waiting for, and much more."

Set in the realm of Greek mythology, God of War 3 is a single-player game that allows players to take on the climatic role of the ex-Spartan warrior, Kratos, as he treads through the intimidating heights of Mt. Olympus and the dark depths of Hell once more to seek revenge on those who have betrayed him. Armed with double-chained blades, Kratos must take on mythology's darkest creatures while solving intricate puzzles throughout his merciless quest to destroy Olympus.

Utilizing a new game engine built from the ground up and state-of-the-art visual technologies, the development team behind God of War 3 have made significant strides in giving players the realistic feel of actually being on the battlegrounds. With texture resolutions being quadrupled since God of War 2, God of War 3 will feature fluid, life-like characters, as well as dynamic lighting effects, a robust weapon system, and world-changing scenarios that will truly bring unmistakable realism to Kratos' fateful quest. Players will have a chance to join battles on a grand scale with many more enemies on-screen and be able to interact with levels like never before.

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/938/938312p1.html

He was the art director for GoW2.

Sounds like GOW3 is on the right track. In The Stig we trust.

Kibbles

H_Prestige said:
Wow, the CG trailer looks like crap.
It looks better on HD in motion. Those are low res shitty screens, but some of the stuff does look pretty bad in it too.

To everyone: wtf with all the KZ2 screens and bitching going on? Keep that in the KZ2 thread >.<

Melfice7

WinFonda said:
In The Stig we trust.

lil_stig.jpg

The Stig is awesome :D

belvedere

Junior Butler
I'm sure you won't, but don't let these baseless opinions (if they even qualify as that) get you down, Jaffe.

For some reason, an idiocy epidemic has consumed the majority of this board and hating all things PS3 is like hating George W. It's just the cool thing to do.

Was pissed when the crappy BK scream froze on me during the trailer (like as soon as they showed his face). Downloaded the 1080p trailer from the PSN and it looked awesome.

Jaroof

davidjaffe said:

Later ya’ll…

David

:D
That's what I said.

Well, I'm actually glad Jaffe came in here to clear things up. It seems like it's the only way some of the GAF'ers will get it through their head..

DihcarEM

Pretty ridiculous how people got stuck on the "painting"-part, as if artistic taste is objective.
I'm a long time fan of the series, the highpoint for me was part2. I have full trust in this studio to deliver, they survived when David left and again when Cory(Dude, so looking forward to your MadMax game, you are gonna own it!) left.

As for the footage, it looks really great already but still very early. If the release was in a few months then i would be worried, but it's not, not by a longshot. Small things i would want to see improved upon and pretty certain they will. The flames around Kratos's blades when he strikes and the fixed chains on his forarms are a plastered picture. That shit annoyed the hell out of me in Resistance 2(Hale's outfit).
With the loss of so many past exclusive games so far, i have no doubt that Sony would want and support one of the biggest western in-house games to succeed.

Honolulu

Neo Member
Well, the mattepaintings in the backgrounds and skyboxes in gow2 were insanely beautiful, imo. The painterly part I can fully understand... hell, gow2 looked like an oilpainting at moments with the vast environments and mattes, gow3 will be a one up on that if the same FX-artists are on the team... believe!

sentry65

I also think it'll be rendered at 720 that upscales to 1080.

Most of you guys probably aren't in the 3d graphics business so this concept might not make sense to you, but 1080 might not be all that great for this type of game. The rendering might be extra crisp, but the texture maps can only be so good with the PS3's memory limitation. So what you'll end up with is crisp geometry and blurry textures by comparison which ends up looking less unified since the texture resolution probably won't scale up with the geometry.

Anyway, from this trailer I think they have some ways to go with the graphics, specifically shader variation, post effects, lighting that engages the eye more in some scenes, and some texture adjustments, etc, but I have total faith that stuff will be taken care of because they're talented and it just takes time. The things this trailer shows off that the game looks to be doing extremely well are:

quality of the animation/movement/skinning is great

detailed geometry - though I wish Kratos had actual geometry chains wrapped around his arms, but good bump mapping and vertice placement might have to suffice since real chains might be too heavy - who knows though...

the 3d particle blobs for the blood looks pretty nice, though a bit "clean"

the normal mapping look great

I think it's going to turn out great.

I know it's not easy but I wish Jaffe could read all this rif-raf and have a good laugh over it. Hell, I wish I was getting this much attention.

spwolf

sentry65 said:
I also think it'll be rendered at 720p that upscales to 1080p.

Most of you guys probably aren't in the 3d graphics business so this concept might not make sense to you, but 1080p might not be all that great for this type of game. The rendering might be extra crisp, but the texture maps can only be so good with the PS3's memory limitation. So what you'll end up with is crisp geometry and blurry textures which ends up looking less unified.

well since you are in the 3d graphics business, care to tell us what 720p games upscale to 1080p on PS3?

You do realize that those games do not upscale from 720p, right? You have to.. ince you are in 3d graphics business after all.

As to the texture maps... streaming? You know... like Uncharted, KZ2, etc, etc.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
davidjaffe said:

Later ya’ll…

David

It's because of your lacksadaisical use of the bold function.

NYR

davidjaffe said:
c- Fuck you idiots with the painting thing.

That, sir, is why you have the NeoGaf tag that you have - you are the fucking man.

PS - Calling All Cars Trophy Patch please. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom