• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jaffe on GOW3 - "Looks like a painting come to life"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Nathan Rain said:
How anyone can respect Jaffe after all of this is beyond me. He's acting like a fucking dork about everything. :lol
Shut the fuck up JUNIOR! As your leader, I know when to step in and bitch slap one of my people that cross the line. Don't embarrass me like that again.

NYR

Nathan Rain said:
How anyone can respect Jaffe after all of this is beyond me. He's acting like a fucking dork about everything. :lol

Would you rather him crawl into the fetal position and hide?

At least he has the balls to defend his OPINION. Props to him for posting. At least he is connected to the people who he should be connecting to.

sentry65

spwolf said:
well since you are in the 3d graphics business, care to tell us what 720p games upscale to 1080p on PS3?

You do realize that those games do not upscale from 720p, right? You have to.. ince you are in 3d graphics business after all.

As to the texture maps... streaming? You know... like Uncharted, KZ2, etc, etc.

I'm not in the video game industry specifically. I do 3d animation work professionally in the medical and commercial field though and am not going to get into a nitpicking argument with a gaffer about what specific games do or don't scale to what. Like I care...

so yeah who knows, maybe they'll stream textures or whatever. But it didn't look like they were doing it for some of those shots yet and for me it broke the image with sharp geometry, but blurry diffuse texture. My point was that some of those shots worked, while others didn't look unified enough IMO. I hope they can pull off a well done 1080p though, but they'll need a lot more going on with some of the other things I mentioned to make it work properly

How bad ass would it be if Sony made a GOW2 HD version to coincide with the release of GOW3.
The second game looks so damn good already if they just upped the resolution and the textures
man that would be heaven.

Kukuk

Banned
It's a shame GoW3 didn't look that great, but I'll trust Jaffe's word on there being a better build. I just hope they showed an average looking version now so they can blow peoples' minds later on.

Raistlin

Nathan Rain said:

More like we can't have nice things because so many people on gaf feel the need to run with every nit-picked statement ... regarldess of intent or context.

It's nice to have someone post how they feel about things, no-holds-barred, and with the enthusiasm of someone that hasn't lost their love for the end-product, even though its creation is now 'work'.

I'm surprised every dev hasn't been scared away at this point.

spwolf

sentry65 said:
I'm not in the video game industry specifically, but yeah I do 3d animation work professionally in the medical field and am not going to get into a nitpicking argument with a gaffer about what specific games do or don't scale to what. Like I care

so yeah who knows, maybe they'll stream textures or whatever. But it didn't look like they were doing it for some of those shots yet and for me it broke the image with sharp geometry, but blurry diffuse texture. My point was that some of those shots worked, while others didn't look unified enough IMO. I hope they can pull off a well done 1080p though, but they'll need a lot more going on with some of the other things I mentioned to make it work properly

:lol

in other words, you have no fucking clue about what you are talking about, or whatever.

:).

Haunted

Nathan Rain said:
How anyone can respect Jaffe after all of this is beyond me. He's acting like a fucking dork about everything.
I don't like this junior, take him back to the pound.

Kaako said:
Shut the fuck up JUNIOR! As your leader, I know when to step in and bitch slap one of my people that cross the line. Don't embarrass me like that again.
:lol I like this one, I think we'll keep him.

Tideas

Banned
BruceLeeRoy said:
How bad ass would it be if Sony made a GOW2 HD version to coincide with the release of GOW3.
The second game looks so damn good already if they just upped the resolution and the textures
man that would be heaven.

why waste time?

Esch

Banned
Nathan Rain said:

No, he's clarifying his statements, making fun of GAFfers for being idiots, and expressing his opinion on the footage.

If sticking to your guns is being a fucking dork...

sentry65

spwolf said:

in other words, you have no fucking clue about what you are talking about, or whatever.

:).

that's a gaffer for you...
reread what I wrote

had nothing to do with what you're talking about
You don't think that trailer was upscaled for 1080 output?

What I said had to do with unifying the graphics and saying they'll need to go one route or the other. They might have not even decided on everything at the time that trailer was made.

It could still end up being a 720p game if they decide that works better. It'd only make sense for them to shoot for 1080 first and see if they can pull it off. So they'll either pull it off, or it still won't look right and they'll just drop it to 720p.

vpance

Ahh, I knew it was early. Good, but not meh like Jaffe said. If anything this shows how serious Sony want to market the game, willing to show it WIP and all to fit it in at the VGAs.

belvedere said:
Misunderstanding it seems? It was in reference to a joke earlier.

Holy lord, things really are going to hell!

No man I got the joke but a lot of people probably wont and just assume your trolling.

Hellion

Man people are still on are still baggin on Jaffe....Jump off. The guy is AWESOME.

Sure the trailer wasn't what where used to for AAA games (Don't blink) but this shit is slated for 2010 or LATE 09'....

-In Sony Santa Monica I trust :D

EschatonDX said:
No, he's clarifying his statements, making fun of GAFfers for being idiots, and expressing his opinion on the footage.

If sticking to your guns is being a fucking dork...

No I just mean that he overreacts to everything that people on message boards say? Seriously?

I think he's made some seriously kick ass games but I wish he was more of a pompous ass like Cliffy B, at least Cliffy knows when to just ignore GAF and shut up :lol

Kaako said:

Only I've never bad mouthed Jaffe's games, I'm an avid God Of War fan, I just think he needs to learn when to stop browsing GAF.

My comment was not about his games, just about his attitude, which is completely valid.

belvedere

Junior Butler
BruceLeeRoy said:
No man I got the joke but a lot of people probably wont and just assume your trolling.

I held gaf at a higher standard. I should've known better.

sigh

Byakuya769 said:
LoL YOU OWNED HIM. I bet you're right too, why else would someone call beautiful footage, beautiful!?!

Onix said:
More like we can't have nice things because so many people on gaf feel the need to run with every nit-picked statement ... regarldess of intent or context.

It's nice to have someone post how they feel about things, no-holds-barred, and with the enthusiasm of someone that hasn't lost their love for the end-product, even though its creation is now 'work'.

I'm surprised every dev hasn't been scared away at this point.

It's about not toeing the line between developer and fanatic. His recent posts have been inspired by message board stupidity and he should spend more time working on the kickass gaming ideas he's had, and less on the people who are actually put off by the "painting" or "OMFGITSBEAUTIFUL!" comments when the footage shown doesn't match description.

For the record, I am not one of those people. I did enjoy the footage, even though it wasn't exactly what I was hoping for.

Esch

Banned
Nathan Rain said:
No I just mean that he overreacts to everything that people on message boards say? Seriously?

I think he's made some seriously kick ass games but I wish he was more of a pompous ass like Cliffy B, at least Cliffy knows when to just ignore GAF and shut up :lol

Maybe it's because he doesn't like having himself misconstrued? Dude, if everyone thought you were lying or whatever i'm sure you'd be pissed, come on.

Hazaro said:
Nathan :lol

I know...shit got heated...

:D

EschatonDX said:
Maybe it's because he doesn't like having himself misconstrued? Dude, if everyone thought you were lying or whatever i'm sure you'd be pissed, come on.

Yeah, but that's what the internet does, it takes one little thing you said and does its best to take it out of context, then take that out of context "fact" and perpetuate more and more stupid rumors.

If he wants to stop caring, he should stop browsing internet forums. Nothing will change, someone will always complain about who is is or the games he makes.

Anyhow, I've posted enough for today, you're all rid of me for the time being, rejoice ;)

David should know GAF and the whole internet good enough though, this was a expected reaction from everyone involved.

Guymelef said:
And the part with the Cyclop.

Ground goes from horizontal to vertical.
312i8vq.jpg
You people should watch that scene in the trailer again and carefully look at the background :O

Truant

DieNgamers said:
You people should watch that scene in the trailer again and carefully look at the background :O

Oh, please. This is the 'subtle' beauty thing all over again. Except this is 60fps and it will look substantially better when it's released two years from now.

sprocket

Banned
jaffes first mistake is trying to explain something to a thread full of xbots that don't care about what he is saying.

hasnt he been here long enough? he should know how it works by now.

Esch

Banned
Truant said:
Oh, please. This is the 'subtle' beauty thing all over again. Except this is 60fps and it will look substantially better when it's released two years from now.

He's actually talking about the way the trees all move back when the earth tilts in the scene.

;\

westical

Banned
sprocket said:
jaffes first mistake is trying to explain something to a thread full of xbots that don't care about what he is saying.

hasnt he been here long enough? he should know how it works by now.

Full of xbots? All I see is GOW fans v Killzone fans.

Truant

EschatonDX said:
He's actually talking about the way the trees all move back when the earth tilts in the scene.

;\

Still, I don't get what the fuss is about. We all know the game is going to look incredible upon release, although some probably won't admit it. This is GAF, after all.

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
sentry65 said:
I'm not in the video game industry specifically. I do 3d animation work professionally in the medical and commercial field though and am not going to get into a nitpicking argument with a gaffer about what specific games do or don't scale to what. Like I care...

Yeah, I agree with you about the textures. I think overall though the game looks gorgeous and they should be able to greatly improve the textures before the game releases like they did with KZ2.

nib95

Banned
I'm betting that by the game's release, many people will be gulping down enormous amounts of crow, Just like many did with killzone 2. People are too quick to judge, and Sony are sly at toying us, just like they did with the first initial official Killzone 2 screen shot release.

What is God of War famous for? Epic boss battles, stupidly large scale grand set pieces and levels, gargantuan arenas etc. Do you see any of that in this trailer? Nope. It's as small scale as it comes. Intimate would probably be the best word to describe it. Think about that for a second....

Many of you are setting yourselves up big time.

Truant

nib95 said:
I'm betting that by the game's release, many people will be gulping down enormous amounts of crow, Just like many did with killzone 2. People are too quick to judge, and Sony are sly at toying us, just like they did with the first initial official Killzone 2 screen shot release.

What is God of War famous for? Epic boss battles, stupidly large scale grand set pieces and levels, gargantuan arenas etc. Do you see any of that in this trailer? Nope. It's as small scale as it comes. Intimate would probably be the best word to describe it. Think about that for a second....

Many of you are setting yourselves up big time.

I highly doubt Sony would release an underwhelming video just to tease the fans.

nib95

Banned
Truant said:
I highly doubt Sony would release an underwhelming video just to tease the fans.

Not to tease the fans so much as to blow things up, get people debating, discussing, arguing, who knows. Maybe to divert attention away from the game till Killzone 2 or Uncharted are out the way. But it's not a new tact to Sony.

This teaser is clearly (imo) designed to hold back, and probably start up a few debates. There is no sense of scale, no epic boss battles, no giant set pieces. None of that. It's been intentionally controlled.

Reminds me very much of this...

killzone-2-20070710042144618.jpg

Fun times. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom