• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jaffe on GOW3 - "Looks like a painting come to life"

Status
Not open for further replies.

FrankT

gofreak said:
Didn't think so? It's possibly almost expected because of Insomniac's 'cycle' to date on PS3, but..I don't think anything's confirmed.

As for GoW, can't wait for friday..I'm kind of expecting 2010 too, though. It'll probably be like Killzone last year..possibly teased early-ish for 09, but then shuffled to 2010 in the busyness of q3/q4. I hope I'm wrong though.

Oh I'm thinking of this which certainly seems to suggest something is coming for R&C, who knows what though;

http://kotaku.com/5037911/ratchet--clank-to-be-continued-in-2009

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
____ said:
PSM3_23_COUV.jpg

at first i thought "exclusif" was some weird internet slang thing that they were making fun with by putting on the front cover, but then i realized that its a french magazine.

AAK

We only JUST got GOW2 in 2007. Do you guys honestly expect them to make a PS3 AAA game in 2 years????

Christams 2010 if we're lucky. But I bet it will be delayed on until 2011.

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire
AAK said:
We only JUST got GOW2 in 2007. Do you guys honestly expect them to make a PS3 AAA game in 2 years????

bad logic

Loudninja

AAK said:

Thats even more silly.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
AAK said:

and they couldnt have been making gow3 at the same time as gow2 for some reason? gow3 is probably gonna be using a lot of new tech that the ps2 engines could only dream about doing.

Remember Chains of Olympus was released last year. That said, I'm of the March 2010 opinion. 2009 feels early to me, maybe December 2009 at best. There are plenty of great games coming out on PS3 this year, so it's not that bad.

Nizz

AAK said:

Couldn't it be possible that with all the coverage we'll be getting this week, it's possible it'll be an 09 title? Seems an awfully long time to be previewing it if it's still over a year away. Granted, I know that's happened in the past. I really wish we wouldn't start seeing big previews on games unless they were at least half a year away. I hate hearing about a game for forever. I remember first hearing about RE5 way back in 05. And we're now just this year finally getting the game. Same as that fps that will not be named right now. ;)

AAK said:

we didn't JUST get GoW2. It was very early 2007, like, almost exactly two years ago. Holiday season 2009 is totally understandable. For reference sake, that would be more than half a year extra compared to GoW1 to GoW2. It is understandable that it could go into 2010 since it's a completely new system. It isn't out of the question like FFXIII in America 2009 or something like that.

FrankT

fps fanatic said:
Couldn't it be possible that with all the coverage we'll be getting this week, it's possible it'll be an 09 title? Seems an awfully long time to be previewing it if it's still over a year away. Granted, I know that's happened in the past. I really wish we wouldn't start seeing big previews on games unless they were at least half a year away. I hate hearing about a game for forever. I remember first hearing about RE5 way back in 05. And we're now just this year finally getting the game. Same as that fps that will not be named right now. ;)

It's possible, but when one of the lead concept artists from GOW III says not less than a month ago it's not 2009 as a direct response to the question I think that is pretty safe bet. I mean who else would better know at this point. He also stated we would hear about the release date soon and now with the previews this Friday it's likley we will. GS now has there placeholder as March 2010 for it as well. Supposedly HHP says he has seen the email for GS where Sony stated the new release window for it as well and that being what it is now. Terrible source there, but signs do not point to this year so far. We should hear soon enough thought I imagine. Who knows though maybe that Lead concept artist was throwing us all for a loop, but he did remove it after it his GAF which only adds to the suspicion.

AAK said:

Eh nonsense, March 2010 is more than reasonable at this point.

Esch

Banned
1UP said:
God of War 3 Blowout

Coming Friday at 9:00 AM PST: Remember in 1988 when Kirk Gibson, injured, hit a game-winning World Series home run? This will be kind of like that.

Oh wow. That's some hyperbole. Better have some good coverage for me.

Nizz

Jtyettis said:
It's possible, but when one of the lead concept artists from GOW III says not less than a month ago it's not 2009 as a direct response to the question I think that is pretty safe bet. I mean who else would better know at this point. He also stated we would hear about the release date soon and now with the previews this Friday it's likley we will. GS now has there placeholder as March 2010 for it as well. Supposedly HHP says he has seen the email for GS where Sony stated the new release window for it as well and that being what it is now. Terrible source there, but signs do not point to this year so far. We should hear soon enough thought I imagine. Who knows though maybe that Lead concept artist was throwing us all for a loop, but he did remove it after it his GAF which only adds to the suspicion.

Eh nonsense, March 2010 is more than reasonable at this point.
Ohh, didn't know that. Yeah, I guess he would know. :) Yeah, looks like 2010. But this upcoming coverage will just make the wait that much harder. :(

thuway

Am I in the minority here? One of these three -

God of War III or
Gran Tourismo 5 or
Trico

need to be in the Fall of 2009. Sony bet the farm on Little Big Planet / Resistance 2, and that kind blew up in smoke.

For all intents and purposes, another Ratchet is too soon, Insomniac needs to go back to the drawing board with the next game. I've always said - an RPG Ratchet (in the vein of Kindom Hearts), with co-op, and a cover system :)lol) would do wonders.

On a side note-

PS3 at 299, Fall of 2009, Little Big Planet included.

btw- what is Media Molecule's next project?

jett

D-Member
I gotta say, it's almost surreal to see gaming journalists excited about a PS3 exclusive we barely know anything about. :p

FirewalkR

jett said:
I gotta say, it's almost surreal to see gaming journalists excited about a PS3 exclusive we barely know anything about. :p

GoW3 belongs to a lineage of games that were universally praised. There were no promises, no render targets, no excessive hype (for the 1st at least) no nothing. There's no "hate anchor". :lol

thuway said:
For all intents and purposes, another Ratchet is too soon, Insomniac needs to go back to the drawing board with the next game. I've always said - an RPG Ratchet (in the vein of Kindom Hearts), with co-op, and a cover system :)lol) would do wonders.

You shut your mouth! :(

That sounds horrible.

Rindain

Banned
FirewalkR said:
GoW3 belongs to a lineage of games that were universally praised. There were no promises, no render targets, no excessive hype (for the 1st at least) no nothing. There's no "hate anchor". :lol

Yep, the excessive hype / target render controversy is the reason Killzone 2 has gotten such unfair criticism from gaming journalists.

God of War III is not only a proven AAA franchise, but the third installment has been flying pretty much entirely under the radar until now (Jaffe's painting quote notwithstanding).

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Spring 2010 no doubt. Unless there is a huge hole for holiday 2010, but I don't think Sony feels like waiting.

So after reading that David Jaffe interview on 1up, I feel he REALLY wants to tell the story of Kratos' brother lol. It doesn't help that I've been listening to the soundtracks recently and heard the secret track about Kratos wanting to continue his adventure in search of someone who may or may not have forgiven him.

The current story is better, Jaffe. No offense.

thuway

MoonsaultSlayer said:
So after reading that David Jaffe interview on 1up, I feel he REALLY wants to tell the story of Kratos' brother lol. It doesn't help that I've been listening to the soundtracks recently and heard the secret track about Kratos wanting to continue his adventure in search of someone who may or may not have forgiven him.

Agreed.

Meier

AAK said:

GOW2 added essentially nothing to GOW1. Something tells me it wasn't some behemoth that required a ton of manpower. I see no reason why GOW3 and GOW2 couldn't have been developed concurrently.

Cesar

Banned
After the somewhat disappointing VGA teaser (I wasn't impressed at all) I'm a little sceptic of the supposed "amazing" graphics. Can't wait until friday though.

Madman

MoonsaultSlayer said:

Isn't Kratos' brother
Hercules
?

thaOwner

Meier said:
GOW2 added essentially nothing to GOW1. Something tells me it wasn't some behemoth that required a ton of manpower. I see no reason why GOW3 and GOW2 couldn't have been developed concurrently.

Dont listen to that member. The studio in charge of the Second GoW game has yet to release anything on the PS3. Surely, they have been working on something all this time.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Wtf. It was a behemoth with an enormous team. You may not know this intuitively, but luckily games ship with credits.

Meier

Y2Kev said:
Wtf. It was a behemoth with an enormous team. You may not know this intuitively, but luckily games ship with credits.
I didn't look at the credits as I didn't get a chance to finish GOW2 (traded in my PS2...silly me expected all PS3s would be BC!). But, for what it's worth -- just because there are a lot of names listed doesn't mean that they were all putting in weeks and months and years of work. There could have been 50 contractors working for a week or two each (that may not be the case here, just giving an example).

You have to question their efficiency if there truly was a huge team that took a few years to put out a sequel that did very little new and looked very similar to the original product.

Cardon

Madman said:
Isn't Kratos' brother
Hercules
?

Well technically yes but a bonus ending for GOW1 had
Kratos' brother escaping from the underworld and wanting revenge on his brother who abandoned him as a child.

.GqueB.

Banned
thuway said:
Am I in the minority here? One of these three -

God of War III or
Gran Tourismo 5 or
Trico

need to be in the Fall of 2009. Sony bet the farm on Little Big Planet / Resistance 2, and that kind blew up in smoke.

On a side note-

PS3 at 299, Fall of 2009, Little Big Planet included.

btw- what is Media Molecule's next project?

What does that even mean?

Madman

Didn't someone who claimed to be one of the members of SSM here say that there was something like a 13 month crunch on GoW2?
Meier said:
I know you didn't play it all the way through, but did you even get past the Collosus of Rhodes? From what you say there, I doubt it.

jett

D-Member
Meier said:
I didn't look at the credits as I didn't get a chance to finish GOW2 (traded in my PS2...silly me expected all PS3s would be BC!). But, for what it's worth -- just because there are a lot of names listed doesn't mean that they were all putting in weeks and months and years of work. There could have been 50 contractors working for a week or two each (that may not be the case here, just giving an example).

You have to question their efficiency if there truly was a huge team that took a few years to put out a sequel that did very little new and looked very similar to the original product.

Are you fucking insane?

witness said:
Surely you heard about the amazing sales of R2 and LBP, oh....

I thought R2 sold more than R1? and LBP is making lots of money from dlc, last episode of Pulse show top 10 psn download and like half of them is LBP dlc

Meier

Madman said:
I know you didn't play it all the way through, but did you even get past the Collosus of Rhodes? From what you say there, I doubt it.
http://www.gamespot.com/features/6167283/p-18.html -- that's roughly where I got to (about halfway it seems). I could be completely off base, but at least in what I played, it seemed like a clone of GOW1 (not a bad thing by any means). Did it diverge quite a bit towards the end of the game?

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Meier said:
http://www.gamespot.com/features/6167283/p-18.html -- that's roughly where I got to (about halfway it seems). I could be completely off base, but at least in what I played, it seemed like a clone of GOW1 (not a bad thing by any means). Did it diverge quite a bit towards the end of the game?
The game was quite a bit longer than the first one, with literally no assets borrowed from it. I think just the asset/animation creation for the game must have been massive undertaking, even if they had the engine groundwork set up from the first game.

Madman

Meier said:
So you definitely flew on the
Pegasus
. If that wasn't different enough for you, I'm not sure what else they could add. There are the
Icarus Wings
later on in the game, but I don't know if that's what you mean or what. I really don't know how much more of change from standard gameplay you can do then stuff like
Pegasus

Tideas

Banned
witness said:

R2 is 200k+ in Britain. R2 is 400+k in US. Dunno about Europe.

LBP is 300k+ in Britain. LBP is 400k+ in US.

R2 u got an argument for, but you're oh so wrong about LBP

PistolGrip

sex vacation in Guam
witness said:
LBP is looks to be the best selling first party title 'til date so...(of course Killzone will destroy it) ? R2 sold better than R1 and still has some legs with run with.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom