• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jaffe on GOW3 - "Looks like a painting come to life"

Status
Not open for further replies.
From that link:

1UP: Then to finish off, do you want to plug whatever you can say about Mad Max and what you're working on now?

CB: Well, we're kind of just moving forward with that stuff -- not much to plug on it. There are some other projects, other gigs coming up. I'm doing some work for Sony. I'm not able to announce specifically what that is, but I'm working on a script for them, so that's pretty sweet. I think it'll be something that everyone's fairly familiar with. That's probably all I can say about it. [Laughs] You can make your speculations from there.

People smarter than me, what's he talking about?

Banned
both jaffe and barlog look visibly older after completing their respective GoW titles compared to before.

Is that simply a time-aging thing or were the projects extremely strenuous?

I believe these games were very strenuous to make, which is why is why neither jaffe nor barlog stayed to direct a second.

any takers?

Edit: final point; i'm slightly disappointed by the possibility that the games direction is changing slightly with the new director, anyone know who it is?

Evidently, jaffe & barlog had a great understanding. will the new guy make too many stupid changes to the formula?? time will tell i guess.

BigBoss

_leech_ said:
It always has to be about fucking sales for some people. The sales-are-better-than-games-age crowd is getting annoying.

Not surprising hes a wiitard, you have to talk about sales when there are no games to play.

templeusox said:
From that link:

People smarter than me, what's he talking about?

God of War the Movie?

Interesting tidbit about how Shu was pushing for PS2 release. I think we had all assumed it was Phil's choice.

Kittonwy

Banned
00011000 said:
both jaffe and barlog look visibly older after completing their respective GoW titles compared to before.

I believe these games were very strenuous to make, which is why is why neither jaffe nor barlog stayed to direct a second.

any takers?

Edit: final point; i'm slightly disappointed by the possibility that the games direction is changing slightly with the new director, anyone know who it is?

Evidently, jaffe & barlog had a great understanding. will the new guy make too many stupid changes to the formula?? time will tell i guess.

Game direction went from Jaffe to Barlog to Stig. Stig was the art director and was involved in all three games.
angry.gif

sentry65

I still think GOWIII is going to be announce a late 09 release date, but a month or so before that it'll be pushed back until around march 2010.

Games get delayed all the time. It's a better tactic to say "just a bit longer" than asking people to wait a full year.

andycapps

00011000 said:

any takers?

If you watch both of the makings of, you'll see that they were both very adamant about how they wanted the game to be. And obviously that's their job, they're the game director so they're supposed to be the final say on how the game turns out. After watching the makings of and seeing these guys being in meetings from 7-7 all day long, then doing work at their desks after that and doing this for months and months at a time.. I didn't envy people in the dev industry as much.

I know it's not like that for everyone, but yeah, it seems like it completely wrecked their health. Cory Barlog looked like a zombie during the making of on GOW II... So yeah, I have the feeling that if there is a 4th one, we're going to see a 4th director. The GOW series is huge and carries a lot of pressure on it at this point, and I don't think people can continue on that stress-load for years.

FrankT

sentry65 said:
I still think GOWIII is going to be announce a late 09 release date, but a month or so before that it'll be pushed back until around march 2010.

Games get delayed all the time. It's a better tactic to say "just a bit longer" than asking people to wait a full year.

Always a possibility we'll just have to wait and see.

After reading about how they had a hard time cutting things from 1 and 2 because everyone's imaginations were just overflowing into a game made on time constraints, I don't want God of War 3 until 2011. Get everything that everyone wants into the game. No regrets.

Kittonwy

Banned
badcrumble said:
After reading about how they had a hard time cutting things from 1 and 2 because everyone's imaginations were just overflowing into a game made on time constraints, I don't want God of War 3 until 2011. Get everything that everyone wants into the game. No regrets.

There's always stuff that one can put in the game given a few more months. Unless the game is going to sell 10 mil, I doubt they can drag development on until 2011. Obviously you never want to rush the game by grinding it out in a year, but you can't keep dragging it on and have development costs spinning out of control without any hope of recouping the costs, at the end of the day these people need to have jobs. They've been working on this game since before March 07, late 2009/early 2010 should give them enough time to get a single player game out.

-viper-

Banned
Kittonwy said:
There's always stuff that one can put in the game given a few more months. Unless the game is going to sell 10 mil, I doubt they can drag development on until 2011. Obviously you never want to rush the game by grinding it out in a year, but you can't keep dragging it on and have development costs spinning out of control without any hope of recouping the costs, at the end of the day these people need to have jobs. They've been working on this game since before March 07, late 2009/early 2010 should give them enough time to get a single player game out.
Exactly. Plus I'm pretty sure as this is a big franchise for Sony, they would rather see the game released sooner, than later.

So God of War movie script? Would be nice if it's well made.

I didn't know there was a new director on board. Hope it's handled as well as 2 and CoO.

If I can start requesting/hoping for gameplay tweaks, I'd love to have the ability to cancel some of Kratos' animations mid-move with a block or dodge roll. Some of those L1+square/triangle moves take so long to finish that they're almost useless against the amount of enemies they throw at you. GOW3 seems to have even more enemies. Fix this please.

slider

I didn't wanna come in here (cos I love GoW and it'd be hard to take) but I have and now I have to say in the nicest possible way... Sam you're a complete bastard. Please fuck off. Please... :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom