• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jaffe on GOW3 - "Looks like a painting come to life"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arcipello

well im pretty sure we can all agree it doesn't look "HOLY HOLY HOLY FUCKING HELL" good... and certainly not better than Gears 2 at this point, but hopefully the footage is really old and they are saving the really good stuff for later. still though, if they intended to make a grand entrance and wow everyone...this trailer was not the way to go about it.

Jaroof

-COOLIO- said:
you know what i just realized? and this is pretty mindblowing:

spawn and kratos are incredibly similar. no?

i just blew my mind when i realized how much so.

at war with heaven and hell

anti hero

makes a pact with some evil god like force that binds chains of death to their bodies

badass mother fuckers

red cloth

they've both been to hell and back

both use magic

Yeah kinda reminds me of how Inuyasha and Devil May Cry (mainly 3) are similar

The main character is a half-demon with white hair.
The main character's father was a powerful demon who bore two children with a human woman.
The children are twin boys.
The older twin is more proper and fights with power but very stylishly, while the main character fights in a wild way.

I'm sure there's more similarities, but I haven't watched THAT much of Inuyasha..

JimiNutz

Banned
The game doesn't look bad by any stretch of the imagination, but I found the trailer to be a severe disappointment. I know Jaffe covered his tracks a couple days ago, by saying that this trailer wasn't the footage he was talking about when he said it looked like a painting, but I was still expecting to be blown away.

It just looks like GOW 2.5
Obviously better looking than the PS2 version, but it just looks kind of meh-like I've seen it all before. I wish they'd shown a little more footage. Part of me expects that my disappointment stems from the fact that they showed so little gameplay, and after the trailer I was left asking 'is that it?!'

I'm still hyped for the game because the first two were awesome, but this trailer didn't really add to the excitement.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
Jaroof said:
Yeah kinda reminds me of how Inuyasha and Devil May Cry (mainly 3) are similar

The main character is a half-demon with white hair.
The main character's father was a powerful demon who bore two children with a human woman.
The children are twin boys.
The older twin is more proper and fights with power but very stylishly, while the main character fights in a wild way.

I'm sure there's more similarities, but I haven't watched THAT much of Inuyasha..
oh yeah i thought they were both based off the same mythology actually

TheOddOne

NutJobJim said:
The game doesn't look bad by any stretch of the imagination, but I found the trailer to be a severe disappointment. I know Jaffe covered his tracks a couple days ago, by saying that this trailer wasn't the footage he was talking about when he said it looked like a painting, but I was still expecting to be blown away.

It just looks like GOW 2.5
Obviously better looking than the PS2 version, but it just looks kind of meh-like I've seen it all before. I wish they'd shown a little more footage. Part of me expects that my disappointment stems from the fact that they showed so little gameplay, and after the trailer I was left asking 'is that it?!'

I'm still hyped for the game because the first two were awesome, but this trailer didn't really add to the excitement.

What i was thinking

Awntawn

You know what, we should actually keep piling up the negative responses and maybe it'll prompt them to show us some of that awesomesauce that Jaffe got to see :D

And did someone really just compare this to Gears 2?

Awntawn said:
You know what, we should actually keep piling up the negative responses and maybe it'll prompt them to show us some of that awesomesauce that Jaffe got to see :D

And did someone really just compare this to Gears 2?

If that footage even exists.

And no, he was talking about God Of War 2.

neorej

ERMYGERD!
-COOLIO- said:
you know what i just realized? and this is pretty mindblowing:

spawn and kratos are incredibly similar. no?

i just blew my mind when i realized how much so.

at war with heaven and hell

anti hero

makes a pact with some evil god like force that binds chains of death to their bodies

badass mother fuckers

red cloth

they've both been to hell and back

both use magic

both looking for redemption

wife and daughter

Both make a pact with a force that is pissed off at both heaven and hell

Never realised this, I'm gonna laugh my ass off if Kratos decapitates Zeus in GoW3 and holds his head up...

detail.series20.spawn.2.jpg

Wow, GOW 3 seriously looks badass. Screw the haters. This makes no. 2 for PS3 exclusives I really want to play. (The other being Versus) When it gets to 5 or so, I'm gonna have to take the plunge.

Hope this game is as epic as the first two

Awntawn

Tieno said:
Has Sony released a non-shitty-GT-compressed version yet?

edit: nevermind, found it
I noticed the PSN version is sharper in every shot except for the harpy shot, perhaps they blurred out the whole thing to make the boob-censor more subtle :lol

Ashour

I think the game will own and I think the final version will look so much better, I’m really hyped for this game since I enjoyed all 3 previous GoW games and I hope the ending will make my jaw drop again (haven’t had a moment like that since the end of GoW2).

Regardless of what the final product will be like, this trailer is seriously underwhelming, given the hype. It just doesn't look good at all. Why is everything the same shade of grey? The environment and character models look like they were carved out of play-doh.

Painting come to life.. right

If the final product is significantly better than what they have shown here, what is the point in showing it?

Kildace

makingmusic476 said:
I'd say it looks pretty nice, but eh, what do I know...
Edit: Just noticed all the guys running around in the background in the second screen.

I agree that it looks "pretty nice", I'll even say very nice! The Jaffe hype just had me expecting something out of this world, clearly raising the bar for console graphics just like Uncharted did and it's not the case.
If the current build looks much better than this footage then they shouldn't have released it, and if it looks the same then it should have been given some more development time before it was shown, imo.

Jaroof

TheIroning said:
Regardless of what the final product will be like, this trailer is seriously underwhelming, given the hype. It just doesn't look good at all. Why is everything the same shade of grey? The environment and character models look like they were carved out of play-doh.

If the final product is significantly better than what they have shown here, what is the point in showing it?

:lol Why does that word keep coming up? Ever since one person said it, I swear I've heard it like 20 times already..

Also, this trailer could have already been prepared a while back, so that they were ready to show it at an event like this.
And apparently some people aren't getting the fact that Jaffe said this isn't the thing that made him say it's like a painting come to life.. even though it's been said over and over.
Have a little faith, people! -_-

Cruzader

Banned
TheIroning said:

joke post?

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
Screw the haters, this game looks freaking fantastic. It already looks better than ninja gaiden 2 and DMC4. This game is already on my must have list of 2009.

Ramenman

Why does that word keep coming up? Ever since one person said it, I swear I've heard it like 20 times already..

Well, we can all agree it looks good.

But then it was supposed to litteraly destroy absolutely everything we saw before. And er, that's not the case, oh no.

hence the "underwhelming".

Edit : "it" being the trailer, of course. No need to precise anyone writing off a game's graphics on the first trailer is stupid.

antiloop

Ramenman said:
Well, we can all agree it looks good.

But then it was supposed to litteraly destroy absolutely everything we saw before. And er, that's not the case, oh no.

hence the "underwhelming".

According to Jaffe?

Screw the haters, this game looks freaking fantastic. It already looks better than ninja gaiden 2 and DMC4.

True, going by that trailer and the first two games I have no doubts.

neojubei said:
Screw the haters, this game looks freaking fantastic. It already looks better than ninja gaiden 2 and DMC4. This game is already on my must have list of 2009.
It's pretty obvious everyone expected that it would even look better than well, anything else that got released so far, but are we setting our standards lower now and compare it to NG2 and DMC4?

The footage looks good but it doesn't deliver, because it got hyped like shit, especially here, so don't blame the "haters", blame the hype.

Kildace

Jaroof said:
Also, this trailer could have already been prepared a while back, so that they were ready to show it at an event like this.
And apparently some people aren't getting the fact that Jaffe said this isn't the thing that made him say it's like a painting come to life.. even though it's been said over and over.
Have a little faith, people! -_-

I get it, what I don't get is why Sony Marketing would decide to show the game at all costs and not provide the absolute best footage available of GoW3 in order to create the best first impression possible. If it had been me, I wouldn't have shown this trailer.

Tntnnbltn

makingmusic476 said:
http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i174/makingmusic476/GoWIII2.jpg[img]

Edit: Just noticed all the guys running around in the background in the second screen.[/QUOTE]
Just noticed the mother-fucking chest face.

[IMG]http://i36.tinypic.com/w6yv06.jpg

Jaroof

Well, here's a question to everyone:
Would you rather them have not shown this trailer, take the GTAIV approach, and wait until the game's about to be released to show any gameplay?
I, personally, am glad that they showed it. It's getting me hyped. :D
It's better to have seen something than for them to have left us in the dark.. right?

Cruzader

Banned
Im pretty sure this is a way too "early" video. I'd say this is the same as KZ2 being shown on E3 07. Back then the E307 trailer was great and all but fast forward to December 08 media, the character detail/texture is amazing and graphics in general have increased.(would post some pics but there is no point) GOW3 I bet is releasing by end of 09 so I can see alot of improvements to graphics/gameplay. You guys here who are arguing if this is a "painting" or not are stupid. I cant believe you literaly took what jaffe said and are applying it to a freaking trailer of a game that maybe has another year to come out, seriously.

antiloop

Cruzader said:
Im pretty sure this is a way too "early" video. I'd say this is the same as KZ2 being shown on E3 07. Back then the E307 trailer was great and all but fast forward to December 08 media, the character detail/texture is amazing and graphics in general have increased.(would post some pics but there is no point) GOW3 I bet is releasing by end of 09 so I can see alot of improvements to graphics/gameplay. You guys here who are arguing if this is a "painting" or not are stupid. I cant believe you literaly took what jaffe said and are applying it to a freaking trailer of a game that maybe has another year to come out, seriously.

I am more impressed after watching it a few times. We have to remember that the game is 60 FPS also and the videos are 30 FPS.
The 720p video from SCEA is a lot less compressed than the 1080p video.

Not defending Jaffe's comment. I never take him seriously anyway. :)

Ramenman

Tntnnbltn said:
Just noticed the mother-fucking chest face.

http://i36.tinypic.com/w6yv06.jpg

Oh god, once you see it.... I really really thought you had 'shoped the pic to look like this :O

Jaroof said:
-_- and it continues.............*sigh*

You can't stop people from being underwhelmed by this trailer after the hype. Don't worry, if the game really does look awesome in the end (and nobody's saying it wont), we'll all notice ;)

Jaroof

Ramenman said:
Oh god, once you see it.... I really really thought you had 'shoped the pic to look like this :O

You can't stop people from being underwhelmed by this trailer after the hype. Don't worry, if the game really does look awesome in the end (and nobody's saying it wont), we'll all notice ;)

Yeah, that's true.. but it's pretty dumb how people are getting pissed at Jaffe for what he said when it doesn't even apply to this trailer, and he clearly said it before the VGA's..
But this is GAF, I suppose.. :p

To the 'this is not what Jaffe saw!' guys..

Was Jaffe shown a different game then? Are we not seeing in game engine footage from God of War 3 in this trailer we have here? If what Jaffe saw is as good as he says (i.e. about one thousand 'holy fucking hell' times more impressive than this trailer), would it not have been a better idea in the interest of generating hype for the game to show that instead?

Jaroof

TheIroning said:

Was Jaffe shown a different game then? Are we not seeing in game engine footage from God of War 3 in this trailer we have here? If what Jaffe saw is as good as he says (i.e. about one thousand 'holy fucking hell' times more impressive than this trailer), would it not have been a better idea in the interest of generating hype for the game to show that instead?

Well, I'm guessing that either A. Jaffe saw something that was already in the middle of the game and they couldn't have shown it, due to spoilers being revealed, or B. they already had this trailer ready for a while.
Most likely B.

BeeDog

For those who dislike the graphics shown in the GOW3 trailer, if it turns out the game's running in 60fps, will you be content with the current level?

antiloop

TheIroning said:

Who the fck cares. It's God of War 3. Be excited or not.

AzerPhire

PuppetMaster said:
Those are just compression artifacts on his skin hiding the details and making it look patchy. It will be fine.

And look how round his head is! And he has actual features on his face instead of just suggestions of features like the PS2 version.

I think people forget what the PS2 version looked like
gow_chains_demo_img1.jpg

god_of_war_image4.jpg

If you are going to quote Ps2 pics at least make sure to get the right version. That is the PSP God of War.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom