• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jak and Daxter PS2 Trilogy (and Jak X) coming to PS4 via PS2 Classics

MUnited83

For you.
Footage actually looks pretty nice - the PS2 on PS4 titles also benefit from boost mode so hopefully we're looking at a stable 60fps with a nice 1080p upscale. I'm actually kind of happy not to have to buy Jak 2 and 3, they're both gigantic let downs after the masterful first entry.

Kind of stretch to call Jak 2 a platformer, the focus of the games changed so much.
Both 2 and 3 are far better platformers than the first one.

black070

Both 2 and 3 are far better platformers than the first one.

giphy.gif

Lucreto

I would buy Jak and Daxter again and platinum it again. The other 3 not so much.

2 was frustrating to play, it needed a better checkpoint system.

3 was an improvement but still below the first.

Well it's good they're dipping back into the series. So many franchises I hope they go back too. Hope some SOCOM and siphon filter are next.

SgtCobra

I liked 2 and 3 more mainly because of the setting and variation in gameplay elements, the story was hit or miss. Here's hoping Europe gets the original PAL version with all the language options.

Jak 2 is the worst PS2 game of all time. The first game is great. The third is meh.
This post is bad and you should feel bad.

If these are 1080p wouldn't they be a superior product to the PS3 remasters which to my knowledge only added 720p and nothing else?

Jak and Daxter is a legit great Mario 64-like platformer so I hope people who are looking at games like Yooka-Laylee and Snake Pass who have never giving Jak a go give 1 a try.

thelastword

Banned
Why didnt they just give a resolution, AA and AF boost to the previous remaster and sell that for $30.00......A PS2 classic is indeed strange.

TripOpt55

I love all these games. My all-time favorite series. Excited they are doing Jak X too. The story had some really funny scenes and I loved all the different race types in the game.

Time to 100% The Precursor Legacy again. Last time I did it was 5 years ago around when my son was born.

Oh, there's other Jak games?
/s I actually really like Daxter on PSP too.

Fisty

So we're just going to throw those Remasters in the bin Sony? Come on are we really going to have PS3 versions of games that look and perform better than the PS4 versions

Ryukori

Besides Jak X, I don't see the point since they already have an HD collection for PS3. They should've just ported the HD collection to PS4 instead.

Joni

I already own the trilogy on Vita, PlayStation 3 and PlayStation 2. So why do I want to buy them again?

dh4niel

I have the PS3 collection but I'd be down to buy them again. Same with the Ratchet & Clank one.

I kinda what to pack up my PS3 for good.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.

rjc571

Banned
How is that possibly true? The first is almost 100% platformer, while the second and third spend tons of time with non-platforming things like vehicles, narrative, and guns.

Maybe if you ignore the fact that around 20% of Jak 1's power cells are collected while driving vehicles. Not to mention the numerous power cells which entirely involve punching enemies, shooting enemies with yellow eco, completing (terrible) minigames or simply talking to villagers.

Jak 2 and 3 of course have non-platforming elements as well but they are better platformers than Jak 1 because the platforming elements that are in those games are better than the platforming that is in Jak 1.

Jarmel

Banned
Maybe if you ignore the fact that around 20% of Jak 1's power cells are collected while driving vehicles. Not to mention the numerous power cells which entirely involve punching enemies, shooting enemies with yellow eco, completing (terrible) minigames or simply talking to villagers.

Jak 2 and 3 of course have non-platforming elements as well but they are a better platformers than Jak 1 because the platforming elements that are in those games are better than the platforming that is in Jak 1.

The platforming in Jak 2 was more infuriating than anything else, partially due to the shitty hoverboard control.

Couple questions:

How much are these games, and whats the difference between this and the PS3 remasters??

And why cant you put your PS3/PS2 disc in the PS4 and play the upgrade? Is that possible?

Is the xbox BC allowing you to play games you owned or do u have to purchase those too?

rjc571

Banned
The platforming in Jak 2 was more infuriating than anything else, partially due to the shitty hoverboard control.

I'm not sure what issues you had with the hoverboard controls, but putting that aside, it was barely even used in the game's platforming missions. There was a mission in the sewer that used it exclusively, a mission in Haven Forest that needed it for catching Lurkers, a mission at the drill site that used it in a few sections, and a very short segment in the palace mission, but other than that all of the platforming was on foot.

How is that possibly true? The first is almost 100% platformer, while the second and third spend tons of time with non-platforming things like vehicles, narrative, and guns.

Until the last hub world, there aren't many areas that provide platforming challenges, it's mainly just a world you can jump around in. I know that makes it a platformer, but there isn't really any consequences for messing up your jumps for example. Jak II on the other hand has a lot of tightly focused platforming challenges, where if you mess up, you're screwed.

Couple questions:

How much are these games, and whats the difference between this and the PS3 remasters??

And why cant you put your PS3/PS2 disc in the PS4 and play the upgrade? Is that possible?

Is the xbox BC allowing you to play games you owned or do u have to purchase those too?

These are the PS2 versions, but in 1080p. The PS3 collection ran at a strange resolution if I remember correctly, and had various glitches. By rights, this new version should be 1:1 with the PS2 gameplay wise.
The PS4 PS2 Classics also increase performance in some cases; as an example War of the Monsters runs and loads a lot quicker, and they look realky good upscaled, aside from UI elements.

MUnited83

For you.
And yet, they still do platforming better.

Jak 1 is babby's first platformer.

Jak 2 and 3 of course have non-platforming elements as well but they are better platformers than Jak 1 because the platforming elements that are in those games are better than the platforming that is in Jak 1.
4879626-so+smart.jpg

DrD

Let it be known that Jak 2 is awesome. The improvements to the gameplay and level design tend to go unnoticed and I appreciated the increase in difficulty. My ideal Jak game would have been in the style of the first one with the gameplay improvements of the sequels, with the difficulty somewhere in the middle.

Considering picking these up to revisit them despite still owning my PS2 copies.

BigEmil

According to Eurogamer PS3 version was missing some effects and rendered at 720p (EDIT: Doesn't say 720p but i presumed it was since he said 1080p version on PS4 would be better so PS3 version resolution i don't know but is lower than 1080p.)

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/www.eurogamer.net/amp/2017-04-03-jak-and-daxter-games-are-coming-to-ps4

"According to Digital Foundry's John Linneman, this PS2 version on PS4 will likely look better than the previous PS3 remaster.

"The PS3 HD version was missing visual effects," Linneman explained. "The shiny metallic surfaces, for instance, were all missing. If you emulate the PS2 original and bump the resolution up to 1080p or more, it should wind up looking better than if you just ported the HD versions."

Another exciting part of this restoration is that it includes Jak X: Combat Racing, which has not been available in any form outside of its 2005 retail release."

Good. I already got the Jak trilogy collection but it'll be nice to be able to play Jak X again. Especially now that I'll own a copy that doesn't wipe out my entire PS2 memory card...

Also, I love you Naughty Dog, but this...

hqdefault.jpg

Trophy name for getting Ellie to play an arcade version of Jak X

Just made you look insecure and pretentious.

black070

It really is tho. Haters keep crying about the difficulty level. Give me a challenge over the cakewalk that is J&D anyday.

Difficulty wasn't a big problem, the infrequent checkpoints forcing you to replay entire stretches of levels and repeating the same dull objectives or requisites that often involved wiping out waves and waves of enemies using the dull shooting and combat mechanics were - if that's the kind of 'challenge' you enjoy in a platformer then by all means rave about them as much as you want, some of us simply prefer the simplistic hub world collectathon approach the first of the series took, before veering off to GTA for 5 year olds territory, rounded out by a Jak acting like hes going through puberty.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
There's only one problem, the PS2 emulator doesn't actually run at native 1080p does it?
Isn't it some weird sub 1080p resolution then upscaled

rjc571

Banned
What were the frame rates for the ps2 versions? were the frame rates unlocked?

Jak 1: 60 fps throughout the entire game with very very rare drops

Jak 2: Overworld map runs at 40-50 fps (guestimating) with bad tearing but most platforming missions which take place outside of the city hold 60 fps almost all of the time

Jak 3: Similar performance as Jak 2 but I think the overworld maps ran a bit worse than they did in Jak 2, and more of the game took place in them so overall the average framerate was a bit lower (but the platforming missions still ran at a flawless 60 fps for the most part).

Top Bottom