• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jak and Daxter PS2 Trilogy (and Jak X) coming to PS4 via PS2 Classics

Agent X

So we're just going to throw those Remasters in the bin Sony? Come on are we really going to have PS3 versions of games that look and perform better than the PS4 versions

I haven't played the PS3 versions of the games, myself. If they've got the flaws that some other people in this thread have described, then it would be preferable to play emulated PS2 versions on PS4. Don't forget that the PS4's emulation of PS2 does offer some improvements over playing the games on standard PS2 hardware.

But without a Daxter port, we can't get the best vehicle in Jak X!

Maybe a PSP with Daxter can still be connected?

That's a possibility. Another possibility is that Sony could do something similar to what they did with War of the Monsters on PS4.

Each character in War of the Monsters has four different costumes. Many of the costumes were locked, and required players to unlock them by purchasing them with in-game currency. There was one costume that could not be purchased with in-game currency, and that was Agamo's costume #4, which is Mecha Sweet Tooth. In the original PS2 release, the only way to access this costume was to have a memory card with a game save from Twisted Metal: Black, that had 100% completion using Sweet Tooth. When Sony brought the PS2 classic to PS4, they lifted this requirement, and instead made the costume immediately available to all players.

Pez

Uh, this is weird.

I don't think Jak 1 supports wide screen natively. That was added in the PS3 version.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
I don't usually disagree with John, but I have to here.

It's true that some very minor effects were missing in the PS3 remaster, but instead we got:
- Improved textures
- Better anti-aliasing
- Anisotropic filtering

However I don't think they reworked the geometry at all.
They didn't rework any assets, from what I can see - textures or geometry. The game was also something like 640p on PS3, and it didn't have any AA. Here's a direct feed grab:

GMUNoOG.jpg

Have a lot of you not played ps2 on ps4? They all have really bad , jittery frame rates.

They just do not run smoothly from the 10 or so I played. some are worse than others, manhunt is really bad, max payne is down right a mess for me.

It could just be my ps4 though as I do get bad frame rates in many games the longer the system is on I guess.
I don't think you remember how bad the framerates were in most of those games that are emulated so far. Max Payne has far better frame rate emulated on PS4 than it did on original PS2 - even more so if you play it on PS4Pro with the boost mode. DF has tested a few more games, and they've all ran at a better frame rate than the original:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vA6TdEstNUg

There are places in this game where it drops to 23FPS on PS2, while the emulator keeps the steady 60FPS.

They didn't rework any assets, from what I can see - textures or geometry. The game was also something like 640p on PS3, and it didn't have any AA. Here's a direct feed grab:

GMUNoOG.jpg

I don't think you remember how bad the framerates were in most of those games that are emulated so far. Max Payne has far better frame rate emulated on PS4 than it did on original PS2 - even more so if you play it on PS4Pro with the boost mode. DF has tested a few more games, and they've all ran at a better frame rate than the original:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vA6TdEstNUg

There are places in this game where it drops to 23FPS on PS2, while the emulator keeps the steady 60FPS.

I have played the star wars games and this video isn't accurate, the frame rates have huge stutter in them. Racer, and Fighter are really easy to start feeling lke they dip down to 20 fps or worse for no apparent reason. Fighter does it when a few ships are on screen and when you turn the camera. Racer does it on certain areas of the race.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
I have played the star wars games and this video isn't accurate, the frame rates have huge stutter in them.
That video is a direct capture from the console, so maybe there is something wrong with your console then. Either way, it's clear that the emulator produces better framerates than the original games were running at during the same scenes - and again that was captured from the original PS4 - with boost mode on Pro, it works even better.

That video is a direct capture from the console, so maybe there is something wrong with your console then. Either way, it's clear that the emulator produces better framerates than the original games were running at during the same scenes.

they aren't really playing the games though and you have to get to certain situations to experience it so i don't know.

Those of you saying there were no graphical alterations in the PS3 HD Jak collection are flat out wrong. I don't know how you can play the PS3 Jak 1 and not see that. The third hub world is a great example.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Those of you saying there were no texture alterations in the PS3 HD Jak collection are flat out wrong. I don't know how you can play the PS3 Jak 1 and not see that. The third hub world is a great example.
Can you post an example? Texture filtering was better, but I don't think they've upgraded any assets. You'd be surprised how good the textures were in original J&D. The screen from above (from remaster) is what the textures looked like in the original.

pixelation

Excellent... wish it was something more other than just the PS2 versions uprendered... but i'm happy that we'll get the metallic sheen on the precursor ruins and such that were missing on the PS3 versions.

SgtCobra

Will this game be a direct port of the PAL version for people in Europe or will they "universally" use the NTSC version for all regions? I've never bought a PS3-classic so I really wouldn't know.

Tizoc

You know what? I'll use this re-release to replay Jak 2 and 3.
Gotta give these games a replay and see what I think of their gameplay.

All 3 games had widescreen on PS2.

The widescreen support is poorly implemented though, both in the originals and the PS3 HD versions (more so that version because I don't think you could swap it back to 4:3). It did the thing where it's zoomed in with the top and bottom cropped, so you're filling the screen, but losing a lot of the picture. I don't remember if Jak X suffered this problem, but the trilogy definitely did.

Considering these are the PS2 versions, hopefully you should be able to toggle between the two screen modes, but I remember hearing that some PS2 classics had screen options disabled. I think it might have been that Level 5 RPG, Rogue something or other, that either had it so you couldn't select 60hZ, or couldn't toggle widescreen on and off.

PS3 collection: https://twitter.com/cbalestra/status/139017454943879168

Porting that to the PS4 would be a nightmare, I guess...

According to Eurogamer PS3 version was missing some effects and rendered at 720p

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/www.eurogamer.net/amp/2017-04-03-jak-and-daxter-games-are-coming-to-ps4

"According to Digital Foundry's John Linneman, this PS2 version on PS4 will likely look better than the previous PS3 remaster.

"The PS3 HD version was missing visual effects," Linneman explained. "The shiny metallic surfaces, for instance, were all missing. If you emulate the PS2 original and bump the resolution up to 1080p or more, it should wind up looking better than if you just ported the HD versions."

Another exciting part of this restoration is that it includes Jak X: Combat Racing, which has not been available in any form outside of its 2005 retail release."
I wonder why is that... I guess the PS2 version utilized the massive eDRAM bandwidth (48GB/s <-- good luck emulating that on the PS3) and Emotion Engine's vector coprocessors to emulate pixel shaders, while modern GPU architectures (since the GeForce 3 era at least) support pixel shaders natively without programming tricks.

What about Jak and Daxter: Lost Frontier?!

Ah. Probably for the best that one isn't included. It's not terrible, but nothing special either.

I actually feel games like this are the PERFECT candidates for PS4 release. Hardly anyone played it because it came out kind off late on the PSP and even later on the PS2.

They should out out that, and all of the PSP Ratchet and Clank games and the PSP GTA games--all of which were ported to the PS2 later.

I actually feel games like this are the PERFECT candidates for PS4 release. Hardly anyone played it because it came out kind off late on the PSP and even later on the PS2.

They should out out that, and all of the PSP Ratchet and Clank games and the PSP GTA games--all of which were ported to the PS2 later.

I don't know whether a "sequel" by a C-grade studio is a "PERFECT" candidate for anything.

dogen

now people can finally experience Jak 2's shitness in full 1080p splendor

technically not 1080p, but yeah it's shit lol

PS3 collection:

I wonder why is that... I guess the PS2 version utilized the massive eDRAM bandwidth (48GB/s <-- good luck emulating that on the PS3) and Emotion Engine's vector coprocessors to emulate pixel shaders, while modern GPU architectures (since the GeForce 3 era at least) support pixel shaders natively without programming tricks.

The PS3 version was emulating the EE anyway. As long as everything works this should be more accurate to the original.

It's true that some very minor effects were missing in the PS3 remaster, but instead we got:
- Improved textures
- Better anti-aliasing
- Anisotropic filtering

You can add AA and improve filtering in an emulator too.

VLiberty

yeah I would buy R&C Size Matters PS4 in a heartbeat, though the ps2 port was quite bad. just like most of those psptops2 ports anyway.

also, this could be the only way to have a Motorstorm game on PS4 without actually having someone to develop/port it. plus Arctic Edge is actually great

The PS3 version was emulating the EE anyway.

Emulating the EE is one thing. Emulating the ultra-fast eDRAM (48GB/s) is quite another.

The PS3 has 2 memory pools: XDR 25.6 GB/s + GDDR3 22.4 GB/s. It cannot match the PS2 eDRAM bandwidth. That's why PS2 emulation on the PS3 was hard without the GS/eDRAM combo.

On the other hand, the PS4 has 176 GB/s of memory bandwidth...

It's the same thing with Scorpio having 320GB/s. It can easily emulate the eSRAM bandwidth-wise.

CamHostage

We'll never reach the end of viable PS2 games to bring back on PS4, but a PSP emulator shell for PS4 would open a lot of great doors too. There are some really strong titles on that little portable, and PC emulation has shown some amazing layers of detail underneath that low-res, interlaced display...

dogen

Emulating the EE is one thing. Emulating the ultra-fast eDRAM (48GB/s) is quite another.

The PS3 has 2 memory pools: XDR 25.6 GB/s + GDDR3 22.4 GB/s. It cannot match the PS2 eDRAM bandwidth. That's why PS2 emulation on the PS3 was hard without the GS/eDRAM combo.

On the other hand, the PS4 has 176 GB/s of memory bandwidth...

It's the same thing with Scorpio having 320GB/s. It can easily emulate the eSRAM bandwidth-wise.

Yeah.

BigEmil

- Improved textures
- Better anti-aliasing
- Anisotropic filtering

Check this article out from Eurogamer on Jak Trilogy on PS3:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-02-16-the-jak-and-daxter-trilogy-review

But is the resolution being bumped up?
Yes all PS2 to PS4 is uprendered to like 1080p and also improves performance etc.

PS3 collection: https://twitter.com/cbalestra/status/139017454943879168

Nice info! Hmm maybe read this article from Eurogamer on PS3 Jak Trilogy if this answers any questions:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-02-16-the-jak-and-daxter-trilogy-review

dogen

Irc, Naughty Dog even use the PSX hardware for jak games, which makes porting even more complicated?

Every ps2 game did technically. Maybe they did a little more with it than the average game.

Plus, they emulated that hardware in the PS3 port.

Yes all PS2 to PS4 is uprendered to like 1080p and also improves performance etc.

It's 2x the resolution each dimension. 3x might be doable if the GPU is up to it.

MYeager

Am I the only one who really likes Jak 2? Although I admit it may be a stockholm syndrome kinda deal.

It was great. Best Jak game, some just couldn't deal with the aesthetic change or later difficulty despite it giving the series a unique identity.

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
Hoping this bump is recent enough that it's okay

Really looking forward to Jak & Daxter: The Precursor Legacy. I had a PS1 and certainly experienced Crash, but I I was without a PS2 and PS3 those entire generations, missing out on the entire series.

I've read that the first Jak & Daxter is a hybrid of that whimsical early platforming style (Crash Bandicoot) and the darker action-adventure games that came later (to an extent Jak II, Jak III, and of course Uncharted and The Last of Us) but leaning more towards the whimsical, just in more open environments than Crash on PS1.

Seems like it would have been my favourite PS2 game if I had played it then, and I remember the box art (especially the Naughty Dog logo) intriguing me.

Jak_and_Daxter_-_The_Precursor_Legacy_Coverart.png

I look forward to my chance to give it a go more than 15 years later.

rjc571

Banned
Did they ever fix the Jak collection on Vita cause i heard it wasnt good.

No, Sony never cared enough about the Vita to put the care into these collections that they deserved, so we're stuck with compilations of games that run at 25%-50% of the framerate that they ran at on PS2. (This applies to the Ratchet, Sly Cooper and God of War compilations as well.)

Did they ever fix the Jak collection on Vita cause i heard it wasnt good.

Nope.
I've not tried Jak 3, and from what little I played of Jak II the problem was the car controls with the rear touch pad were borderline unusable.
Jak and Daxter was weird though. The beginning is unplayable, but then when you get to the Blue Sage's hub world, so Precursor Basin, Lost Precursor City and Klaww, the performance suddenly picks up for no apparent reason, and then stays decent for the rest of the game. It's not ideal, but it's functional.

JP

I'm not taking this as confirmation of anything in terms of price but I just found this on cdkeys.com.
CD Keys said:
Jak and Daxter: The Precursor Legacy PS4 - £7.99

Pre-Order - Key will be available on or before 30th August 2017

I'd be surprised if it launched at this price because it's quite a bit lower than the other PS2 on PS4 games and it may be an error but it may be worth taking a chance for the asking price. I get pretty much all of my download codes from them and I've never had any issues, I've never pre-ordered from them before but I suppose the worst that could happen is that they've got the price wrong and they refund you.

NewDust

I'm not taking this as confirmation of anything in terms of price but I just found this on cdkeys.com.

I'd be surprised if it launched at this price because it's quite a bit lower than the other PS2 on PS4 games and it may be an error but it may be worth taking a chance for the asking price. I get pretty much all of my download codes from them and I've never had any issues, I've never pre-ordered from them before but I suppose the worst that could happen is that they've got the price wrong and they refund you.

Pretty much all Sony published PS2 classics on PS4 are 7,99 GBP.

Tagg9

I was hoping all of the games would be released at the same time, but it seems like we're only getting Jak 1 next week.

Top Bottom