• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

James Gunn on Superman: "the character will not be played by Henry Cavill"

ADiTAR

ידע זה כוח
Probably gonna bring young Superman to space, where he meets cool alien monsters that are funny! we're gonna have a cast of crazy characters and Superman is gonna laugh, and dance! It'll be called Superman of the Universe.

Neolombax

Well, that sucks. I liked Cavill as Superman. Its funny to see DC struggling to get their shit together when the superhero movie fever seems to be slowly dying off.

YuLY

40's to 50's is PRIME Bond actor age if you ask me, especially these days. Craig just looks old and dour, always has.
Totally agree. Brosnan could have done at least one more movie, easily. Craig just looks old, hes genes, he looks older than Cruise and Pitt.

Saiyan-Rox

So wtf is happening with the end of Black Adam? And the flash? Aquaman 2? Are they all gonna get the chop after release?

What a God damn mess.

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
Fj_L7DYX0AAeCRZ

2dc65eeda1b89773b5fbf6273e4a0e7f715dd5d2.gif

Sonik

We all know that’s not why he bailed out. Source material this, source material that, you want source material go read the books - they are pretty good.

Hey, fair hussle for him - Superman was seen as paying way better that the Witcher, so he jumped on the chance.

Hilarious he agreed to announce it without firm contract in hand, his agent fucked up massively.

He's been dropping not-so-subtle hints that he's dissatisfied with the way Netflix' idiot writers are handling the show for a long time now.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Ok go back to the witcher, apart from Christopher reeves he is probably the best suited actor for modern day superman. But eh. I don’t run a studio so what do I know.

Last edited:

ADiTAR

ידע זה כוח
Ok go back to the witcher, apart from Christopher reeves he is probably the best suited actor for modern day superman. But eh. I don’t run a studio so what do I know.
They can find new faces, I think it'll be great if they find new people for all the roles. Gadot was great because she was fresh and interesting (I know she's been in FF series, but in very minor roles).

Alx

Earlier part of Supermans life? That sounds terrible, are they talking about an 18 year old Superman or something? I cant envision anything worse, especially if they go back to when he lived on that farm.
I just finished binge-watching Smallville recently, and I found it more entertaining than anything from DCEU. Full-grown Superman is a bit boring and will cerainly spend most time on-screen as CGI, while focusing on young Clark Kent may open for more interesting stories. (that being said, after watching the TV show I've had my dose of Superboy stories for a while)

0neAnd0nly

The Batman was a nice shift into detective mode, in a time line we haven’t seen explored in the live actions much before…

Cavill is made to play Superman and obviously LOVES it…

And both are/ may be out?

Eehhhh.

I tend not to like Gun’s direction, and this isn’t making me confident at all.

Peggies

Gold Member
So he left the Witcher for nothing? Jesus Christ. The DCEU continues to be a clown show.
I'm glad he left. It's such a shitty show. I was so looking forward to it but I expected it to be about Geralt hunting monsters not Geralt has some cameos in the Yennefer-Siri-universe.

Banjo64

cumsessed
I don’t like DC movies, and I don’t like Superman. But the studio told him to announce his return and then back tracked? Why does everything WB/DC touch literally turn to dog shit. Horrible cunts. As to Cavill, it’s shit I’m sure but he’s an A lister and will have companies queuing up to give him mega roles.

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
All WB had to do was give Zack complete creative freedom back then and not forcing him to blast thought to JL within two movies. Management wanted to catch up to Marvel - hurt everything that was done.
Now they have this rushed mess in their hands that is not salvageable and hired a guy to mimick the Marvel style of SH movies.
Not realizing that that ship has sailed and these kinds of movies are just not that hot anymore.

You just know what kind of quality content is to be expected if a single guy hastily writes a couple of movies within a couple of months.

VulcanRaven

I don’t like DC movies, and I don’t like Superman. But the studio told him to announce his return and then back tracked? Why does everything WB/DC touch literally turn to dog shit. Horrible cunts. As to Cavill, it’s shit I’m sure but he’s an A lister and will have companies queuing up to give him mega roles.
It feels that they give Gunn too much power. Its a bit embarrasing to backtrack like this.

Alcibiades

I think this could backfire on WB. Gunn is an amazing director I'm glad they were giving him a chance despite the poor box office of The Suicide Squad. But I don't like this decision.

He made a movie and TV show set in the DCEU "Snyder" world and now he's going to throw all that away? The only thing I can think of is they feel a need to do this on the cheap and can't afford to bring back the current DCEU cast. You can still have one-off projects like Joker for creative freedom without nuking the last 10 years of movies.

Why not a young Superman movie that's a one-off, or even a prequel to Man of Steel? Was hoping to see Gunn help improve the world that existed, like he did with Suicide Squad.

I can imagine a scenario where Batman/Superman movies make a billion or get close but everything else stays in the 400-700 million range in which case, why even start over and throw the previous talent under the bus?

SJRB

Gold Member
I am so fucking done with DC movies.

I swear to God if they’re going to do another origin / coming of age story I’m going berserk.

Last edited:

Alcibiades

All WB had to do was give Zack complete creative freedom back then and not forcing him to blast thought to JL within two movies. Management wanted to catch up to Marvel - hurt everything that was done.
Now they have this rushed mess in their hands that is not salvageable and hired a guy to mimick the Marvel style of SH movies.
Not realizing that that ship has sailed and these kinds of movies are just not that hot anymore.

You just know what kind of quality content is to be expected if a single guy hastily writes a couple of movies within a couple of months.
I don't think Zack Snyder's style would have led to Marvel-level success, but they never really gave him a chance. The rush to get to a Justice League movie hurt both Batman v Superman and Justice League. Also, the fact that they released the inferior cut of Batman v Superman in theaters really hurt reception to the franchise early on, which spiraled out of control with the Whedon JL movie.

Also I agree that comic book movies MIGHT be past their heyday. It's not just fatigue, but the fact that there are so many Marvel properties that audiences barely have time to keep up with those, much less an additional DC universe and now Sony live action Venomverse (or whatever its called). I go see about 50-100 movies a year but not everyone is going to do that. Fair or not, Marvel got to the box office level they did first and I think people are often going to choose that universe over DC most of the time. Most casuals dont have time for another 10 year interconnected buildup.

They should have continued with the DCEU, minimized the interconnectedness like Wonder Woman, TSS, and Aquaman, while still throwing tiny references to the world and leaving the door open for a JL team up a few years down.

Also, it's stupid to have two Superman movies in development (neither with Cavill lol). Is that sustainable? I bet the Gunn one happens and the other gets cancelled.

FunkMiller

I am so fucking done with DC movies.

I swear to God if they’re going to do another origin / coming of age story I’m going berserk.

He's doing for Superman what Reeves did for Batman. Which is absolutely the right thing to do at this point. The DCEU was a shit show. It needed to end. A fresh Superman will do better box office than Henry's one, dragged down by all that garbage.

Alcibiades

He's doing for Superman what Reeves did for Batman. Which is absolutely the right thing to do at this point. The DCEU was a shit show. It needed to end. A fresh Superman will do better box office than Henry's one, dragged down by all that garbage.
Aquaman, released with Whedon's JL fresh in memory (which was the panned by critics and fans), did a billion dollars. Now imagine a good Superman movie with Henry Cavill. Would have done even better.

I'm sure Gunn's Superman will be good movie and have good box office, but there is no indication that a good Henry Cavill Superman movie wouldn't have been a hit. Very few people are going to miss out on a movie with good word of mouth just because the character was in a bad film previously.

ManaByte

Earlier part of Supermans life? That sounds terrible, are they talking about an 18 year old Superman or something? I cant envision anything worse, especially if they go back to when he lived on that farm.

The script will focus on the character’s life as a cub reporter in the fictional city of Metropolis. Audiences will encounter him meeting key characters, like colleague Lois Lane, insiders added. Additionally, Variety sources said the new Gunn project will not replace the previously announced J.J. Abrams-Ta-Nehisi Coates Superman concept (which is still in active development).

FunkMiller

Aquaman, released with Whedon's JL fresh in memory (which was the panned by critics and fans), did a billion dollars. Now imagine a good Superman movie with Henry Cavill. Would have done even better.

You’d have an argument, were it not for the fact that Black Adam, starring The Rock, and set in the DCEU, with a Widely publicised Cavill Superman cameo… just fucking flopped at the box office.

Nankatsu

Gold Member
They're trying to pull with Superman what marvel did with Spiderman when they casted Tommy boy.

Poor Cavill, most likely some part of the reason he left The Witcher was also because of this role and he instantly gets axed.

Hope he grabs the James Bond role at least, because coming back to The Witcher is super far fetched now (the series is doomed now anyway, considering he left the role) .

Last edited:

ManaByte

Because if there is anything that says James Bond it’s a guy in his late 20s. I guess giving Bond some resemblance of a family and seeing his father side protecting Madeleine and her daughter was just too much . Except it was first time in decades you saw any character development from Bond.

It’s incredible to me how the movie industry keeps pushing younger and younger actors when the majority of population in developed countries is getting older and older.
Disagree. Craig played James Bond into his 50s, as did Moore and Connery.

Moore and Connery were able to stick to the every two years schedule. Craig couldn't because he kept shattering his knees and other injuries leading to delays. Prior to Craig, Bond was always released every two years. That's why EON is looking for someone younger so they can have a Bond who lasts a decade and not take 15 years to get five movies out.

FunkMiller

Moore and Connery were able to stick to the every two years schedule. Craig couldn't because he kept shattering his knees and other injuries leading to delays. Prior to Craig, Bond was always released every two years. That's why EON is looking for someone younger so they can have a Bond who lasts a decade and not take 15 years to get five movies out.

Weirdly, once again, the Batman template will probably define the Bond template. This seems to keep happening. The same applies to Superman. Young, cheaper actors, in a movie with smaller budgets.

Umbasaborne

Banned
On one hand i get that they want a fresh slate, i imagine that gadot, batfleck, zachary levi, and momoa are also out. But it was not cool of them to jerk cavil around like that.

Kimahri

Banned
Honestly I think this is kinda sensible. Cavill is around 40 now, so if they're planning for the long haul , he'll quickly be 50,and not that suitable for Superman.

Getting younger actors might be part of a plan to tell stories for years to come.

Top Bottom