• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

James Gunn on Superman: "the character will not be played by Henry Cavill"

ADiTAR

ידע זה כוח
They should just drop the shared universe and make singular superhero movies again. Those were always better than the nonsense we’re given these days
Right. They can do standalone films for superheroes, and have them team up in a standalone movie as well. There's really no need to have this on going experience like MCU where it's becoming a joke now that I need to see 100 movies to understand what's happening in the 101.

Toons

They should.

But they won't, because they're fucking stupid, and equally as greedy.

That's been the problem for ten years now.

To be fair, they are kinda tied here. If they DONT do it and make them all standalone, then all that happens is people will say the movies "don't matter" know because they don't lead anywhere.

Audiences have been spoiled so much by a good thing in the MCU that they've come to expect it as a given for the films. Look how many people want Joker to become some connected thing when that wouldn't even make sense.

Plus the fact they came out of the gate trying to do this isnt helping. AND the comics have had a shared universe for the last 60 years so not doing that for every project would just feel like a missed opportunity.

All of that, added to the fact that it clearly just is way more lucrative if it works, but its hard to make work. It takes a whole lot of planning and careful but deliberate and consistent worldbuilding and no studio has really succeeded at it other than Disney this far.

Alcibiades

I would be totally happy with a dual approach.

Have a DCEU with 1-2 "standalone" movies every year that exist within a wider universe but without overplaying the connections (like Shazam, Aquaman, and Wonder Woman did). Have hints like early MCU movies with the infinity stones but don't do the thing now where everything references past events and you need to have seen everything to get full understanding and enjoyment. Every 5 years have a team up movie in that connected universe.

Separately, have a completely standalone or separate movie franchise every year like with Joker and The Batman. Sometimes movie worlds are best left disconnected from a wider universe. Aliens, time travel, and other dimensions don't make sense in some movie universes so no need to force them in just because Marvel made it work.

All the comic movie fans whining about wanting everything connected don't realize how much that could hinder the stories being told.

FunkMiller

To be fair, they are kinda tied here. If they DONT do it and make them all standalone, then all that happens is people will say the movies "don't matter" know because they don't lead anywhere.

Audiences have been spoiled so much by a good thing in the MCU that they've come to expect it as a given for the films. Look how many people want Joker to become some connected thing when that wouldn't even make sense.

Plus the fact they came out of the gate trying to do this isnt helping. AND the comics have had a shared universe for the last 60 years so not doing that for every project would just feel like a missed opportunity.

All of that, added to the fact that it clearly just is way more lucrative if it works, but its hard to make work. It takes a whole lot of planning and careful but deliberate and consistent worldbuilding and no studio has really succeeded at it other than Disney this far.

The Batman just made 770 million on a 100 million budget at the tail end of covid.

DC don't need, and have never needed, to copy Marvel. Characters like Superman, Batman and Wonder Woman stand easily on their own two feet. The shared universe was necessary for Marvel, because they had no big characters. DC should never have copied them. They had their template. Big, well made stand alone movies: Superman The Movie, Batman 89, The Dark Knight Trilogy, Joker. Hell, even Wonder Woman was a huge hit, because it was stand alone.

Last edited:

gatti-man

I can’t believe DC is giving up the best version of a character they have. Caville isn’t even that old could easily play Superman for 20 freaking years what are they thinking? The odds of finding another younger Superman actor people resonate with are minuscule especially when Caville himself is so great by comparison.

Trilobit

Cavill staying positive and kind despite all the bs from DC:

superman-henry-cavill.gif

Toons

The Batman just made 770 million on a 100 million budget at the tail end of covid.

DC don't need, and have never needed, to copy Marvel. Characters like Superman, Batman and Wonder Woman stand easily on their own two feet. The shared universe was necessary for Marvel, because they had no big characters. DC should never have copied them. They had their template. Big, well made stand alone movies: Superman The Movie, Batman 89, The Dark Knight Trilogy, Joker. Hell, even Wonder Woman was a huge hit, because it was stand alone.

Sure I'm not saying its needed necessarily. Just that everyone's expecting it and if it works, its ridiculously lucrative and ever expanding.

Eventually Batman and Superman novelty wears off. Thats when the thing that sells is the stories and ongoing characterization. And then you can do stories with smaller characters and continue that and simultaneously make those small characters big

Thats exactly the framework marvel has operated under to the point they have some nobody from a comic no one read walk 9n screen and immediately drum up interest in who that guy is what they do and who they can interact with.

Basically, the trilogy don't "need" to be shared, but if you want the franchise of those characters to have more longevity its a no brainer to do that. ESPECIALLY when some of the characters bets stories heavily involve some of these other guys.

Trogdor1123

Not sure this will help interest. Maybe they can find someone good and young though?

Depending on the age, it may be before he was Superman altogether, like Smallville.

Couldn't agree more. Didn't Joker also make a shit ton of cash at the box office on a tiny budget?

Standalone movies is what's needed after Snyderverse. A connected universe just takes too long and too many resources to pull off successfully. We're going to be looking at 10 years minimum to replicate what Marvel did and even then are people actually going to give a shit since its been done to death now by Marvel.

For like the 5th time in this thread, they've already said it's Superman in Metropolis and not an origin story.
Yeah I've seen like a few people already mention that lol.

Cavill staying positive and kind despite all the bs from DC:

superman-henry-cavill.gif
I will forever treasure Man Of Steel. May not be everyone's cup of tea but I love that he struggles with finding his place in this world.

Also this scene he very briefly looks like Christopher Reeve

Last edited:

AmuroChan

Cavill was one of the few things I liked about the Snyderverse. With that said, this is the correct move. To move on from the Snyderverse, you have to start afresh. I wish Henry the best. I'm sure he'll have no trouble finding more great roles in the future.

Can't wait to see that hack James Gunn totally screw the pooch on this reboot. WB should've just stuck with singular films and given us a proper Cavill Superman sequel. It pains me to see Cavill and Affleck officially done with Supes and Batman, they really weren't the problem. Bring on Timothee Chalamet as Superman or whatever bargain bin Tom Holland they cast.

Last edited:
Take it easy. You guys are all pissed and sad because you only look backwards. Henry Cavill isn't the only man on earth (or in the universe) who can play Superman. Once upon a time I'm sure people were certain no one could be Supes other than Chris Reeves. Batman has been played by multiple actors successfully and most of them have fans. Same goes for Spiderman. I hope Cavill finds more good roles but jesus why are people so attached. Time stops for no one. Once they have a great actor attached, once the movie comes out and is good, nobody will complain. At least wait till the next movie to suck before complaining.

That conflicts with what Broccoli has said. They’re looking for someone much younger and won’t announce him for another year or more.

As much as I love Cavil as Superman, I'm happy they are recasting. I'm hoping we eventually get Brainaic as a villian in the second or third Superman film if the first one is successful

What are the chances of The Flash doing his time travel thing and Henry Cavill ending up as another superhero in a different alternate universe. This would give Gunn and Safran the chance to recast Superman and the other heroes without interrupting the links to the past DCEU.

Giving the original JL members a complete reboot and essentially the whole DC Universe with Cavill, Affleck and the other having bit part roles as different characters (good or bad).

Last edited:

Toons

Take it easy. You guys are all pissed and sad because you only look backwards. Henry Cavill isn't the only man on earth (or in the universe) who can play Superman. Once upon a time I'm sure people were certain no one could be Supes other than Chris Reeves. Batman has been played by multiple actors successfully and most of them have fans. Same goes for Spiderman. I hope Cavill finds more good roles but jesus why are people so attached. Time stops for no one. Once they have a great actor attached, once the movie comes out and is good, nobody will complain. At least wait till the next movie to suck before complaining.

So many of these clowns didn't even like superman before these dumb Snyder movies.

They should have never been s voice of authority on this in the first place. The character is much much bigger than one actor ever was or will be.

So many of these clowns didn't even like superman before these dumb Snyder movies.

They should have never been s voice of authority on this in the first place. The character is much much bigger than one actor ever was or will be.

Clowns? Feck off.

I was a Superman fan from the very beginning even during the Reeve years.

Perhaps there's people who like the way Cavill came across as Superman and how the character was being portrayed in the Snyderverse.

People are allowed to have their opinions and growing attached to an actor for the role is not uncommon or alien.

Last edited:

Sleepwalker

Yeah I actually didn't like or care for Superman movies (smallville was ok but I was younger then) until MoS made the character interesting for me, not ashamed of that. At least I'm not some old cunt calling people clowns on a message board.

Last edited:

Blade2.0

I just want a Green Lantern movie that isn't garbage. Also, I do think they should have a connected universe. They do it in the comics and it works well, there's no reason they can't have stand alone movies within a larger continuity.

jason10mm

Gold Member
I don't want strongly connected films, otherwise the lesser powered heroes really have no reason to struggle, superman or the flash could resolve ANY batman level problem in about 3 seconds.

So let each hero have their own films, maybe with some nod's and winks to the others, then just pull them for JL stuff as needed. DC doesn't need rigid continuity laws.

pramod

Banned
Critics and many fans complained about his portrayal since the start. Most people seem to only like him because he looks good as Superman. Which generally speaking is how fans do a lot of their super hero fan casting nowadays.

Cavil is not a bankable star. The other actors they abandoning were really never that great. The DCEU basically gave a bunch of failing actors a popularity boost by letting them play major characters. These movies were their big break when they were all struggling to pay bills and some were ready to quit acting. Affleck is great IMO but he doesn’t want to do it anymore.

The DC film business needs this reboot/clean slate they tried to salvage it the last few years but failed. There’s more inconsistencies than ever and more problems then ever.

Yeah Cavill was great as Supes but pretty bad as Clark. Granted its not easy to pull off that dual role but i think there should be someone more capable out there.

Shubh_C63

Please don't make an origin Superman movie.

Bring back Cavill as the dark superman from another universe later in the timeline. I no jack shit about comics.

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
Honestly, fuck all this universe shit.

It just creates weird rules that mean the criteria for idealised film production changes from "make a really good film" to "make any old shit as long as it has half a dozen cameos"

It was bad enough when every film had to be part of a trilogy but now every film has to force in characters from other films and also try to make you care about characters nobody gave a shit about since 1967.

Enjoy superman movies? Great, here comes Wonder Woman, The Rock* and Batman to bore the shit out of you.

DC should have focused on making good Batman and Superman films rather than trying to work out how to make them fight each other then, when that was shit, fight The Rock who's playing a character nobody had ever heard of, then shitcanning everything when they threw too much money at it and didn't get enough back.

What's the right thing to do? Make a great Superman movie? Nope. Sack the actor people seem to like and want to go watch and start the whole process again. Great.

Look forward to Aquaman Vs New Superman (played by someone everyone will hate) Vs Atomic Dog, or whatever character they dredge up from the DC vaults.

*Cancelled

Last edited:

Alcibiades

OK so there are rumors that Margot Robbie role as Harley Quinn is safe. WTF!? I get she's really good but it's going to be weird to see a Synderverse actor interact with the Gunverse characters. Seems really off..

I'm also kind of annoyed that Gunn implied that the reason why it's won't be Cavill is that it's a young Superman story. If it's a new universe then doesn't that mean Cavill wouldn't be back for an "older" Superman later on either?

Something about the clarity about this is weird. Should have said "We like Cavill and Affleck but want to start over" instead of mentioning the age thing.

Xenon

Gunn may be spreading himself too thin trying to reboot the whole universe. Also I can see this new position changing him, odds are it will not be for the better considering the mess he's walking into.

Edit: kinda agree with Angry Joe here... that's weird to say

Last edited:

Tams

Never really liked Superman anyway. I think it's the costume mainly - a bit creepy.

Cavill was a great Superman for what it's worth.

As I've said elsewhere, maybe they'll get around to making a sequel to The Man From U.N.C.L.E. now. There's a role he's a complete natural for.

Top Bottom