• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

James Gunn on Superman: "the character will not be played by Henry Cavill"

lol didn't he leave Witcher to be superman and now he's kicked out that too?

yeah i know he wasn't a fan of the direction of Witcher but still going back to Superman must've factored into the decision as well.

Bragr

Banned
It’s incredible to me how the movie industry keeps pushing younger and younger actors when the majority of population in developed countries is getting older and older.
Social media.

Young people use the internet more than anyone and are therefore the most valuable customer, tiktok, insta, twitter, if you capture those audiences you get the equivalent of hundreds of millions of marketing.

Young people feed into hype to such an extent that a good hype trailer can get you hundreds of thousands of ticket buyers.

If you wanna make it in entertainment today, make sure the kids are making reaction videos of whatever you are making.

Last edited:

VulcanRaven

The Rock right now:
the-rock-angry.gif

Last edited:

Zathalus

Honestly they should just wait 10 years with no DC films (focus on good TV like Peacemaker) then start again from fresh. This time with a long term plan and good directors in mind.

Cyberpunkd

Social media.

Young people use the internet more than anyone and are therefore the most valuable customer, tiktok, insta, twitter, if you capture those audiences you get the equivalent of hundreds of millions of marketing.

Young people feed into hype to such an extent that a good hype trailer can get you hundreds of thousands of ticket buyers.

If you wanna make it in entertainment today, make sure the kids are making reaction videos of whatever you are making.
Ok, so they make buzz - will be interesting to see cinema and entertainment revenue for each age group.

SJRB

Gold Member
I for one can’t wait to see another movie where he starts at the Daily Planet, meets Lois Lane for the first time, struggles with his powers and identity, has some banter with Lois Lane but there are romantic feelings developing, asks his parents for help, wears the suit for the first time, rises above the occasion, finds peace with himself in a newfound quest to help humanity while fully adopting his secret identity Clark Kent the journalist.

Can’t wait.

ManaByte

I for one can’t wait to see another movie where he starts at the Daily Planet, meets Lois Lane for the first time, struggles with his powers and identity, has some banter with Lois Lane but there are romantic feelings developing, asks his parents for help, wears the suit for the first time, rises above the occasion, finds peace with himself in a newfound quest to help humanity while fully adopting his secret identity Clark Kent the journalist.

Can’t wait.

He's already said it's not an origin movie. It's like Year 2 Superman like The Batman was Year 2 Batman.

jason10mm

Gold Member
I think Cavill and Dwayne need to make their own "Awesome Man and Dark Ethan" clone film.

Or DC could hire Cavill to play Pa Kent where he whips a lazy superboy into SHREDDED shape while imparting life lessons in the form of building a super gaming rig to compete against Bruce Wayne and the Batcomputer in an underground e-sports competition but that inadvertently becomes Brainiac down the road.

RAÏSanÏa

The Rock seemed to understand the character of Black Adam, he just wasn't able to portray him.

Sounds like Gunn has plans for a new DCEU which is probably what the studio wants. The thought of another extended universe seems tiresome and shared somewhat. Making a place for discrete films that offer more freedom could bring reluctant creatives that want a hand at these films without the restrictions of fitting it into a universe to generate interest. But these types of films might need that constant world to succeed through involvement. It'll be interesting to see how much Gunn's DCEU differs from his work with the other formulas.

Interfectum

I have faith James Gunn can pull off a good Superman movie. Everyone across the internet was shitting on DCEU and begging for change, now that we have some talent to make the changes people still whine. Sucks for Cavill but I'm willing to wait and see where Gunn takes this.

ManaByte

I have faith James Gunn can pull off a good Superman movie. Everyone across the internet was shitting on DCEU and begging for change, now that we have some talent to make the changes people still whine. Sucks for Cavill but I'm willing to wait and see where Gunn takes this.

The guy made STARRO the villain in his Suicide Squad movie. Bodes well for a Superman movie where the villain isn't Luthor or Zod again.

FunkMiller

Can’t wait.

The Batman turned a massive profit earlier this year, based on a Year 2 Batman. Doing the same thing for Superman makes perfect fucking sense.

Lunarorbit

Gunn did say in the variety article that he talked to Henry and they want to get him back for a comic book role.

Idk about that. Having Aquaman become Lobo, OK I can see that but I don't know how many actors you want back playing completely different characters. It'll probably get confusing very quickly for causal viewers.

Billbofet

As much as I love Henry as Superman, he is getting a little too old to do it for the next 5 to 10 years.
Maybe they can bring him back as elder Supes or something. Was that ever a thing in the comics?

I really like Man of Steel, but Henry got a tough hand with all the other times he played Jor-El.
If the new Superman is a little more optimistic, hopeful, humorous, and dare I say even patriotic like Captain America, I would be SuperHappyMan myself.

Dural

The script will focus on the character’s life as a cub reporter in the fictional city of Metropolis. Audiences will encounter him meeting key characters, like colleague Lois Lane, insiders added. Additionally, Variety sources said the new Gunn project will not replace the previously announced J.J. Abrams-Ta-Nehisi Coates Superman concept (which is still in active development).

Jesus Christ, really? That being axed was one positive thing coming out of all this.

I'd love to see Cavill as Bond, one of my favorite roles of his was in MI6.

Last edited:

Sleepwalker

Meh, I'm checked out of the DC stuff with this. Specially not interested in an inexperienced superman.

Superhero fatigue is real, plus I can't see a better fit. Gunn will get John Cena to play supes lollolol

Hugare

As much as I love Henry as Superman, he is getting a little too old to do it for the next 5 to 10 years.
Maybe they can bring him back as elder Supes or something. Was that ever a thing in the comics?

I really like Man of Steel, but Henry got a tough hand with all the other times he played Jor-El.
If the new Superman is a little more optimistic, hopeful, humorous, and dare I say even patriotic like Captain America, I would be SuperHappyMan myself.
I really cant understand this (very popular) take

Reeve's optimistic and good guy Superman wouldnt work in 2022. The idea that in 2022 people would be worshiping an alien God that could dominate the whole Earth because "he was raised in the USA!" is so outdated.

It worked with Black Adam because he was born there, he was human, so thats why people were on his side.

Snyder failed in many things, but I think that he nailed this aspect of his Superman interpretation. Government would want to control Superman, would see him as a threat, some people would hate him and etc.

So that's why Gunn is probably picking a younger Superman. Probably Smallvile era, with him as Clark and not fully suited up. So he can be young, optimistic and all that stuff that you and many people want from Supes, while not having to deal with politics and all that.

Last edited:

FunkMiller

So that's why Gunn is probably picking a younger Superman. Probably Smallvile era, with him as Clark and not fully suited up. So he can be young, optimistic and all that stuff that you and many people want from Supes, while not having to deal with politics and all that.

That's not what he's doing. He's clearly stated it's not an origin movie. It'll be a full blown Superman, the same way The Batman has a full blown Batman... just in the early stages of his career as Superman.

Billbofet

Reeve's optimistic and good guy Superman wouldnt work in 2022. The idea that in 2022 people would be worshiping an alien God that could dominate the whole Earth because "he was raised in the USA!" is so outdated.

It worked with Black Adam because he was born there, he was human, so thats why people were on his side.

Snyder failed in many things, but I think that he nailed this aspect of his Superman interpretation. Government would want to control Superman, would see him as a threat, some people would hate him and etc.

I don't think anything at all worked in Black Adam outside of Pierce Brosnan.

I really like Man of Steel, but outside of that movie, Superman was kind of wasted and angry. Plus, I want more Clark Kent time as it was what made Reeves so memorable - at least to me.

Hugare

That's not what he's doing. He's clearly stated it's not an origin movie. It'll be a full blown Superman, the same way The Batman has a full blown Batman... just in the early stages of his career as Superman.
This saddens me, personally

They already said it's Superman in Metropolis. Not Smallville and not an origin story.
I know it's not an origin story.

But it could be Smallvile/Metropolis with a not full blown Superman yet

I don't think anything at all worked in Black Adam outside of Pierce Brosnan.

I really like Man of Steel, but outside of that movie, Superman was kind of wasted and angry. Plus, I want more Clark Kent time as it was what made Reeves so memorable - at least to me.

I really hated Black Adam. Few things worked for me (Brosnan was great)

And I loved Man of Steel. Exactly what I was expecting and wanting from a new Superman take.

Superman 2006 was kinda what you are looking for, I think

And tho I enjoyed that movie, again, I dont think that tone could work in 2022

Very curious about what direction they will take with this new Superman

Last edited:

jason10mm

Gold Member

Thats because you spend too much time with social media cynicism.

The values Superman has are not "American Values" (which you say as if it were a bad thing), they are UNIVERSAL values of human freedom, dignity, and compassion, values the US allows to flourish in a way that virtually every other place on earth does not. That is why MILLIONS try to come to the US and not other places, and why there are SO MANY success stories from immigrants in the US. Obviously for a global audience a very US centric patriotism is a mixed bag (particularly given the recent foreign adventures) but the small town farm values Pa Kent gives to Superman (except in the Snyderverse) are the very reason why Supes DOES NOT just dominate earth or become a puppet. The ENTIRE POINT of Superman is that he can be above it all, but his basic love, compassion, and HUMANITY keep him grounded in a way that other beings of similar powers do not.

Snyder got this TOTALLY wrong in his film. It's the single biggest misstep for him IMHO (closely followed by "Martha.....").

I'm not sure Gunn has the right vision for Supes either, and I HIGHLY doubt that the J.J./Ta-neishi take would either. Their Supes would be vindictive and focused on judgemental revenge for adopted wrongs, most likely.

Of course this means Supes isn't really an adult character. He is optimism for kids, a power fantasy that tempers excess and gives a message that just because you CAN do something, maybe you shouldn't. Casting Superman into an adult light means that when he doesn't save your wife from a car accident it's because he just didn't care to, even though he could have. Or if a war rolls through your country it's because Superman let it happen. Any adult automatically wants superman to be a benevolent (to their side) global dictator, only kids can truly appreciate how he can operate as he does.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
Man, whomever they tap to play Superman next is going to have a rough go of it from certain sections of the fan base who will hate him no matter what kind of performance he puts in.

FunkMiller

The values Superman has are not "American Values" (which you say as if it were a bad thing), they are UNIVERSAL values of human freedom, dignity, and compassion, values the US allows to flourish in a way that virtually every other place on earth does not. That is why MILLIONS try to come to the US and not other places, and why there are SO MANY success stories from immigrants in the US. Obviously for a global audience a very US centric patriotism is a mixed bag (particularly given the recent foreign adventures) but the small town farm values Pa Kent gives to Superman (except in the Snyderverse) are the very reason why Supes DOES NOT just dominate earth or become a puppet. The ENTIRE POINT of Superman is that he can be above it all, but his basic love, compassion, and HUMANITY keep him grounded in a way that other beings of similar powers do not.

Everyone read this to themselves with this playing in the background:

Last edited:

jason10mm

Gold Member
Man, whomever they tap to play Superman next is going to have a rough go of it from certain sections of the fan base who will hate him no matter what kind of performance he puts in.
The only option is a blatant naked appeal to a core demo that has been TERRIBLY NEGLECTED in superhero films of late...

I bring you...."DAD BOD SUPERMAN!!!" A hero for the average moderately to morbidly obese typical all-american man! :p

qrMSNSu.jpg

Though for an appeal to the ladies, I'll also accept this slightly more imposing physique :)

og2aJzN.jpg

kuncol02

Banned
The Batman turned a massive profit earlier this year, based on a Year 2 Batman. Doing the same thing for Superman makes perfect fucking sense.
WB already tried to push Superman into Batman form after successful Batman movie. It didn't ended well.

FunkMiller

WB already tried to push Superman into Batman form after successful Batman movie. It didn't ended well.

I don't mean the style or tone. I just mean that making it a Year 2 Superman story like The Batman is, is a great idea. It doesn't mean they have to make Superman dark and gritty again. That failed dismally.

NickFire

How many times can these DC assholes reboot their shit???
I agree with the sentiment but I do think this is for the best. Not sure they need to retcon everything though. I think they need to finally pick a lane and stick to it is what I am getting at.

Batman is a great example. I really liked the last one, but I'll never understand stand alone movies like that if the intent is a shared universe. Pick a lane.

Top Bottom