• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japan 2005 RPG Year in Review (56k cry?)

Bebpo

Banned
Wanted to do this at the years end, but was waiting until I finished Abyss so I could judge it accurately. From Best to Worst:

img0002.jpg

#1 Ryu Ga Gotoku (close enough to the action rpg category that I'm going to count it as an rpg.)

+Incredibly well-written and well-presented story. One of the best brawler systems ever. Huge game with tons to do on the side.

-Could've used some quicker load times.

Overall: A+

ME0000608892_2.jpg

#2 Tales of the Abyss

+Best story in a Tales game to date and one that holds up well against the quality rpg stories out there. Great cast of characters. Incredibly fun, flashy battle system with good depth. Really good dungeons with fun puzzles. Nice and challenging battles with intense boss fights. Really big game (around 60-70 hours) with a huge world map to explore. Costumes and mini-games rock. Art direction is impeccible.

-Music is still Sakuraba Tales music, hence midi-ish tunes that loop after 10 secs. Load times are bad on the world map.

Overall: A

atl04021_01w.jpg

#3 Digital Devil Saga: Avatar Tuner 2

+Good original story. Excellent battle system. Long, challenging dungeons. Great art design and awesome battle music. Super quick load times. Character skill development system is perfect.

-Not enough dungeons. Entire game is restricted to a small area so it doesn't quite give that epic explore a huge world rpg feel.

Overall A

kh7.jpg

#4 Kingdom Hearts 2

+One of the most fun games I've ever played in my life. Battle system is extremely fun and satsifying. Boss fights rock. Really really good visuals and an interesting story premise keep you hooked in the game. Disney worlds all rock besides Little Mermaid. Steamboat Wille section > *. Main song Passion rocks.

-Last hour or two goes downhill quickly. Pacing of the Square original story is disjointed and doesn't fit with the Disney worlds. Music isn't that great.

Overall A

ysf_03.jpg

#5 Ys Oath in Felghana (Remake of YsIII for PC. Not a console release, but whatever)

+Awesome action rpg with great art and modern visuals. Some amazing boss fights. Some really fun platforming. Story still holds up. One of the best soundtracks of the year. Runs at 60fps with graphics on max for most pcs.

-Need to use a gamepad. Keyboard = hahahaaha. A little unbalanced.

92wy_20056291048402121_0s.jpg

#6 Oz (Not coming to the US because of SCEA. Euro release soon)

+Excellent story that makes the player think and put together the pieces for themselves. Amazing 2d art. Top-notch soundtrack. Very original and well designed battle system that has a high learning curve but once you understand it, the system is incredibly fun and intense. Good length game with tons of unlockables that actually rock. Best action game with heavy story elements since ZoE2.

-Graphics are pretty weak in levels. Not coming to the US ;_;

fire_emblem2.jpg

#7 Fire Emblem GC

+Simple yet fun battle system. Challenging maps. Acquiring all the characters and keeping them alive is addicting. Entertaining story. Nice and colorful with some good music.

-Actual 3d graphics are lacking. Last level sucks. Ending sucks. Story that seemed like it was going somewhere bails out in the end.

Overall: A-

pram_decal.jpg

#8 Phantom Kingdom

+Buildings = yay! Vehicles = yay! Comedy = yay! Very fun N1 SRPG with a cute and funny story that goes along with the most insane SRPG ever made. Heck, it's even somewhat balanced this time around. Best N1 SRPG IMO.

-Some people want better graphics (not me). Graphics are even lower resolution than Disgaea. Story all takes place on one screen for the most part. Very low budget feel.

Overall: A-

B00065G7MY.jpg

#9 Front Mission 5 (Only about 10 hours in, so this might not be accurate)

+Excellent presentation that gives it the look of a high budget real rpg (aka FFX) but with a realistic world and realistic characters. Battle system and menus have been improved and streamlined since FM4 leading to faster battles with more intensity. Story seems good and the Wanzer customization is hot as always. Bizarre Mysterious Dungeon type mini-game. Graphics are GOOD. Music is great too.

-AI seems better than FM4 but ...not by much. From what I've played it seems like enemies in the distance will not move forward until the nearest group has been demolished or until a pre-set AI command kicks in and tells them to move. Not that ANY SRPG has decent AI (so I don't really mind), but a lot of people bitch about the AI in SRPGs so they'll probably be upset as this too.

Overall A-

4978.jpg

#10 Gundam True Odyssey

+Old-school battle system that steals a little from SMT3/DDS in a good way. Customization is EXCELLENT. Highly challenging. Big world to explore. Gundam fans will love it. Graphics are pretty good and AMAZING for a Bandai game :p Feels like a SFC/SNES rpg in 3d.

-Lots of time spent on clearing dungeons slowly (IE haivng to leave, restock, come back). Probably will be too hard for many. If you don't like Gundam the game won't have much appeal.

Overall: B

radiata-stories-3.jpg

#11 Radiata Stories

+Excellent graphics with a really nice art look that feels like walking through a pop-out book. Some great characters (Ganz), good comedy, and nice music. Collecting people is fun. Two very different story paths let you see the story from both sides. Great cameo characters. The visable armor sets rock. Nice worldview. Overall a very enjoyable adventure that feels different from all the other rpgs out there.

-Ending 30 mins or so really sucks in both endings. Battle system is not only simple but broken against the higher level bosses.

Overall B

sh3-2.jpg

#12 Shadow Hearts From the New World

+Great battle system. Going around US locations in the 1920s is a lot of fun. Comedy tends to be good. Graphics are great and music is good. First 10 hours and last 5 hours are good.

-Story sucks compared to the first two games. Incredibly low budget feel with cut & paste dungeons + color-changed enemies. Feels like a 15 hour game padded to 30 hour length.

Overall B-

ss-001.jpg

#13 Tales of Legendia

+Soundtrack is one of the best rpg soundtracks ever. Background graphics are good. Characters are little clay-animation style people with really nice motion captured animations. Worldview is interesting and the story and characters are pretty solid. Cooking is nice this time around and the bread girl is funny.

-Battle system is a bit boring as it's too easy and simple. No hi-ougi w/anime cut-ins. 30 hours of character quests have you going through the entire game TWICE with the exact same dungeons and even some of the same bosses. Very lame and boring, but the ending FMVs for each quest are nice so it makes you want to finish it all. Nothing really to do in terms of exploration or sidequests. Arena sucks. It's no Abyss.

Overall C+

grandia3_3.jpg

#14 Grandia III

+One of the best battle systems that exist. Really nice high budget presentation. Nice looking, but empty, world map. Graphics rock. A couple of great characters. Character art is excellent. Bosses are fun.

-Story sucks, especially when it falls to pieces on disc2. Really short. Game balance is really bad. Very disappointing by the end considering how well it starts off.

Overall C+

3066902.jpg

#15 Rhapsodia/Suikoden Tactics

+Great battle system. Good skill development. Lots of characters to collect. Nice worldview. Good music.

-Battles are repetitive. Story is very dull and boring. No real challenge. 3d graphics are terrible.

Overall C+

02c.jpg

#16 Namco x Capcom

+Tons of freshly drawn, good looking 2D sprites. Fun battle system when attacking. Lots of characters, lots of moves. Dialogue between various characters is awesome and often hilarious. Story is fairly enjoyable for an episodic adventure. Music is great. Cameos are awesome. Best cast ever. Best making fun of King ever.

-TOO LONG. 80 hour game where maps take 1-2 hours each mainly because defending is no fun and slow and you can't skip any animations because of the way the battle system is setup. Story is slow and episodic and you stop getting new characters for the most part around 40 hours in which kinda sucks so more characters would've been appriciated. Really only for fans who are willing to put up with the slow repetition to enjoy the good dialogue and fun story.

Overall C+

Mario02.jpg

#17 Mario & Lugi RPG2 (Note only got about 10 hours in)

+English script is great with lots of good comedy bits. Battle system is fun and special attacks and defending are fairly enjoyable.

-Bosses take too long as they have too much HP. Dungeons aren't the most exciting. Overall game feels a bit too easy like its' predecessors.

Overall C+

001.jpg

#18 Wild Arms 4 (Note only got about 10 hours in)

+Graphics are fine. Battle system is enjoyable. Story isn't too slow. Only 20 hours.

-Characters and story are dull. Battle system is a bit boring because it's too easy. Only 20 hours long.

Overall C+

ss_preview_Battle4_psd_jpgcopy.jpg

#19 Code Age Commanders

+Original battle system that steals some elements from ZoE2. Very interesting worldview. Lots of stuff to upgrade. Art design is bizarre but at times nice. Music is very good. 4 complete 6-7 hour stories included.

-Level design is bad. Controls feel sluggish. Can be extremely hard to the point of frustratingly cheap.

Overall C

rogue-screen.jpg

#20 Rogue Galaxy (Note only played around 6-7 hours)

+It's pretty. Pretty much no loading so seamless experience. Seems like there is a lot to do and explore.

-Incredibly boring. Long repetitive dungeons that feel more empty than the random dungeons of DC2. Battle system is slash slash slash. Friendly AI is horrid. Cutscenes have no sense of direction and are boring. Dialogue is for 5 year old kids in a bad way that makes it boring for adults.

Overall C

---
These rpgs/srpgs/arpgs were also released in 2005, but I never found time to play them more than maybe an hour or not at all. So they could be really good and better than stuff above or they could suck:

Sakura Taisen 5
Super Robot Wars Alpha 3
Berwick Saga
Metal Gear Acid 2
Metal Saga
Romancing Saga
Eternal Mana 2
Drag-on Dragoon 2
Shining Force Neo
Tenchi no Mon

---
Then there were the ports, but as they are ports, I see no reason to mention them. If you llike the originals you'll like the ports (besides Popolocrois which got screwed up).

Popolocrois PSP
Devil Summoner PSP
ToE PSP
FFIV GBA

Phew...that's it for 2005. Overall it was a very good year in terms of jrpgs and 2006 seems like it'll be strong as well with Valkyrie Profile 2, FFXII, Baten Kaitos 2, Disgaea 2, Devil Summoner PS2, Tales of the Tempest.

the end

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
Interesting read. Thanks :)

Though now I have blue balls for Tales of the Abyss, and Legendia has gotten pretty mediocre reviews across the board. I wants it, Namco >_<

Grandia III still seems awesome though. I don't care much about the story is the battle system is funtacular.

jett

D-Member
Damn good post. Man what happened with Code Age? I thought it was supposed to be the next uberfranchise from squeenix.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
#20 Rogue Galaxy (Note only played around 6-7 hours)

+It's pretty. Pretty much no loading so seamless experience. Seems like there is a lot to do and explore.

-Incredibly boring. Long repetitive dungeons that feel more empty than the random dungeons of DC2. Battle system is slash slash slash. Friendly AI is horrid. Cutscenes have no sense of direction and are boring. Dialogue is for 5 year old kids in a bad way that makes it boring for adults.

Overall C
Ouch. I hope it gets better, it looked so good.

Bebpo

Banned
Himuro said:
wtf Bebpo Ryu Ga Gotoku is an rpg?

You walk into enemies on the street -> warps to battle area -> beat people up in battles and gain exp -> and then they give you money so you'll forgive them. Basic rpg setup :)

R0nn

Great overview! Can I consider you the JRPG master of GAF?

Some of your scores seem strange to me though, like Partners in Time, Rogue Galaxy and Grandia III.

What scores did Grandia III receive across the board? What about Tales of the Abyss? Was it received well? It's from Team Symphonia right?

Amir0x

Banned
Wait, I read the Rogue Galaxy impressions thread and everyone seemed to have nothing but fantastic things to say about it. Your post is condemned for being a lie. Especially since Dark Cloud 2 is, like, one of the best RPGs this entire gen!

I kid, I kid.

But seriously: You say on Phantom Kingdom - "Some people want better graphics (not me)." Why in the world wouldn't you want better visuals? The graphics in these games are atrocious, the worst things about them. At the very least they can stand for some really high resolution sprites, 'cause it is so terrible it makes my eyes water. I like old school 2D graphics as much as anyone, and the N1 games are like the best SRPGs ever, but visually... I don't know how one can argue they're not due for some major overhauls. That's a pretty big negative imho.

Anyway, stellar post.

I only see 1 problem:

The 2 best games aren't announced yet in USA/Europe. Seriously, Namco and SEGA better be already working on them.

Great list, great work, greatly appreciated :)

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Damn, I'm reminded I need to pick up Oath of Felghana someday... good list, since most of those games are coming out here next year.

wow. I didn't think I could disagree with someone's tastes more without invoking the hideous spectre of the Xeno* games, but there you have it.

Shouta

Drinky Crow said:
wow. I didn't think I could disagree with someone's tastes more without invoking the hideous spectre of the Xeno* games, but there you have it.

I think of Bebpo as my opposite when it comes to RPG taste, that'd make him your arch-enemy. =P

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Drinky Crow said:

Yeah, I don't often agree with Bebpo I've noticed, I find myself agreeing a fair amount with Drinky's RPG tastes... just every non RPG I disagree with him on =P

lachesis

I think putting Ryu ga gotoku in RPG genre might be a bit unfair for other to compare. ;) - although as Bebpo says, this game does have plenty of rpg-esque elelements - but I find it's a action-adventure game more derived from traditional beat-em-up + text adventure with heavy RPG elements included in terms of experience system and skill upgrades... but I guess it really depends on how you look at it.

This game has experience system, you get the money and items out of the beaten enemies, you get to buy various weapons, armors and accessories - and you can even call some of the stages as "dungeons" - with Kamuro Cho being the overworld. (Taxi being the airship in FF series? :D ).. but somehow I'm not too convinced it as an RPG game. ;)

Danj

jarrod said:
SCEA Product Approval.

How the heck did SCEE approve it and SCEA not approve it?! It's usually SCEE who are the bigger a-holes on the approval front, doing feeble crap like requiring companies to take out Japanese language options which were present in U.S. versions before being allowed to publish.

Bebpo

Banned
keeblerdrow said:
sh3-2.jpg

Is that George Lucas furry form?

Indeed it is.

Amir0x said:
Wait, I read the Rogue Galaxy impressions thread and everyone seemed to have nothing but fantastic things to say about it. Your post is condemned for being a lie. Especially since Dark Cloud 2 is, like, one of the best RPGs this entire gen!

I kid, I kid.

But seriously: You say on Phantom Kingdom - "Some people want better graphics (not me)." Why in the world wouldn't you want better visuals? The graphics in these games are atrocious, the worst things about them. At the very least they can stand for some really high resolution sprites, 'cause it is so terrible it makes my eyes water. I like old school 2D graphics as much as anyone, and the N1 games are like the best SRPGs ever, but visually... I don't know how one can argue they're not due for some major overhauls. That's a pretty big negative imho.

Anyway, stellar post.

Rogue Galaxy: I love DC2. Its kinda slow and the story is not great or anything, but I loved making towns, inventing things, building my robot, taking pictures. Rogue Galaxy basically ripped all that out and presented a dungeon crawler with no loading. Yeah...I'm gonna disagree with the crowd on RG, but that's my stance.

Phantom Kingdom: Of course I'd like better graphics too. But if N1 only has a limited amount of staff and they can either spend time on adding more gameplay stuff, or drawing nicer, larger sprites...I'll take more stuff. I guess it's just a response to Disgaea 2 which IMO looks like its a big step back but with better graphics.

lancubap said:
Mario and Luigi 2: C+ ?!?!?!?

Are you crazy or what ?

But Fire Emblem GC got an A-! Nintendo fans should be happy!

Drinky Crow said:

Yeah, these are just my opinions and I do in fact have my own personal taste. I'm not some objective robot, so its true that many may find their tastes conflicting mine...but that's just how life is. There's a bunch of posters here that I respect greatly and buy stuff they recommend, and there are those which I watch out for their recommendations to know what to skip ;P I think its the same for everyone here :)

ivysaur12

Banned
I thought Legendia was a *tad* better than a C+, but it's still not that good of a Tales game. My favorite so far is Rebirth, but I haven't played Abyss yet.

And next year will be amazing with Valkyrie Profile: Simeria and Baten Kaitos II, two unexpected sequels to some of my favorite game of all time.

Bebpo

Banned
ivysaur12 said:
I thought Legendia was a *tad* better than a C+, but it's still not that good of a Tales game. My favorite so far is Rebirth, but I haven't played Abyss yet.

And next year will be amazing with Valkyrie Profile: Simeria and Baten Kaitos II, two unexpected sequels to some of my favorite game of all time.

Well, I actually think the first 30 hours (main quest) of Legendia is closer to a B/B+. But I absolutely hated spending 30 hours going through the same boring dungeons again so the character quests really dragged my score down.

Rebirth > Legendia even though Rebirth has the worst story in any Tales game to date IMO. The battle system is excellent and the game is short enough that you just have fun killing things and then you're done :p

But Abyss > Rebirth because it has an awesome battle system just like Rebirth, but this time around the story isn't terrible!

elostyle

Never forget! I'm Dumb!
Bebpo said:
But Fire Emblem GC got an A-! Nintendo fans should be happy!
That's beyond unrelated though.

Partners in times is not as good as superstar saga but only by very little and it gets better as it goes along. The bosses have a lot hp but I think their designs more than make up for that.

ivysaur12

Banned
Bebpo said:
Well, I actually think the first 30 hours (main quest) of Legendia is closer to a B/B+. But I absolutely hated spending 30 hours going through the same boring dungeons again so the character quests really dragged my score down.

Rebirth > Legendia even though Rebirth has the worst story in any Tales game to date IMO. The battle system is excellent and the game is short enough that you just have fun killing things and then you're done :p

But Abyss > Rebirth because it has an awesome battle system just like Rebirth, but this time around the story isn't terrible!

Bah, I liked the story :p I mean, I thought it was better than Symphonia's story. And I totally agree about the character quests. It was just awful. And I didn't really think the art style was anything to write home about, although the premise of the game was very original. I guess I was just dissapointed coming off Rebirth.

I think I'm going to hold off on Abyss due to the potential for an American release. I'd much rather play the game in my native tounge, at least. It makes RPGs more fun for me, at least.

Oh yes, and you're completely spot on about Grandia III. Shame, too, cause the battle system is really, really good.

hahahax

Banned
Thanks for the impressions.

Wait, you speak both japanese and english? Isn't that kinda unfair?
You get to play all the games before everyone else. How about letting everyone start with the games at the same time.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
When is Front Mission coming here?

Scott said:
March 1st.

It hasn't been announced for North America yet. We reported that date that GameSpot put out at my site at the end of last year and Square Enix PR ended up emailing us saying it wasn't accurate.

Not like it won't come here, but yeah.

In case anyone was wondering:

Super Robot Wars Alpha 3

+ Phenomenal sprite animations, return of several fan favorite series. kusuha drinks.
also has none of the slowdown or jitter that plagued alpha 2. Squad saving, options to change the BGM of each INDIVIDUAL UNIT on the map. Best SRW release yet.
- Some animations re-used from alpha 2, your mileage may vary depending on whether or not you love giant robot anime.
A-/B+

Sakura Taisen V

+High production values, longer chapters than previous games, fun characters, purdy graphics. Chapter 2 is freaking awesome with the lawyer battle. Very, very cheesy.

-No minigames (celphone only), Rikaritta is annoying (but not as bad as iris), attack animations are done on a generic stage background and not "in place" where your characters were standing, makes for some jarring transitions at times. Very, very cheesy.

B-

Bebpo

Banned
pancakesandsex said:
In case anyone was wondering:

Super Robot Wars Alpha 3

+ Phenomenal sprite animations, return of several fan favorite series. kusuha drinks.
also has none of the slowdown or jitter that plagued alpha 2. Squad saving, options to change the BGM of each INDIVIDUAL UNIT on the map. Best SRW release yet.
- Some animations re-used from alpha 2, your mileage may vary depending on whether or not you love giant robot anime.
A-/B+

Yeah, it seemed really nice from what I've played in terms of graphics/music/presentation. But with each SRW I really don't know enough of the older classic series that I can't get into the non-Gundam story stuff :\ One of these days I'll get around to actually attempting a full playthrough.

Sakura Taisen V

+High production values, longer chapters than previous games, fun characters, purdy graphics. Chapter 2 is freaking awesome with the lawyer battle. Very, very cheesy.

-No minigames (celphone only), Rikaritta is annoying (but not as bad as iris), attack animations are done on a generic stage background and not "in place" where your characters were standing, makes for some jarring transitions at times. Very, very cheesy.

B-

I have ST1-4 DC, ST1 remake PS2, and STV PS2. Which one should I play first if I want to have a good time? I played a little of ST1 remake on the PS2 and it seemed really nice visually, but how does the gameplay stack up? Does it feel dated or is it still a pretty good battle system?

Monk

Banned
What is with all those A's?

Is there a game on there you hate? And is Tales of the Abyss coming out in the US?

kiryogi

Banned
Bebpo: 1-3-5 are the most solid entries of the bunch. Each one marks the beginning of a new cast so you won't be alienated or really lost for the most part.

Bebpo

Banned
Monk said:
What is with all those A's?

Is there a game on there you hate? And is Tales of the Abyss coming out in the US?

I see plenty of games with C's as well :p And there are games I hate, but its pretty hard to mess up an rpg to the level of hate. Most of those C's are games I thought were letdowns but I don't hate them. To hate an rpg it has to be full of horrible loading like Spectral Souls 2 PSP, horrible ghosting like Popolocrois PSP, or completely ruin something I once liked as Xenosaga ep2 and Suikoden III did.

PS. There's a lot of A's because there were many really really good games released in 2005 in Japan. Not too uncommon near the end of a consoles lifespan.

Abyss should come over about 6-8 months after Legendia unless Legendia tanks so badly they just give up on the series in the US.

Bebpo

Banned
kiryogi said:
Bebpo: 1-3-5 are the most solid entries of the bunch. Each one marks the beginning of a new cast so you won't be alienated or really lost for the most part.

Cool. I'll try to get around to playing ST1 at some point. I've played a bit of all of them so far, but I'm a little embarresed so say I've never even seen the ST battle engine as I don't make it far enough to the first battle in any of them ^^;

ivysaur12

Banned
Bebpo said:
I see plenty of games with C's as well :p And there are games I hate, but its pretty hard to mess up an rpg to the level of hate. Most of those C's are games I thought were letdowns but I don't hate them. To hate an rpg it has to be full of horrible loading like Spectral Souls 2 PSP, horrible ghosting like Popolocrois PSP, or completely ruin something I once liked as Xenosaga ep2 and Suikoden III did.

PS. There's a lot of A's because there were many really really good games released in 2005 in Japan. Not too uncommon near the end of a consoles lifespan.

Abyss should come over about 6-8 months after Legendia unless Legendia tanks so badly they just give up on the series in the US.

Maybe it's just better if we all pretend that Xenosaga II didn't exist...

Well, now that BKII has a US date, Abyss and VP2 need them as well to make my 2006 RPGing life complete.

Bebpo

Banned
Dr. Kitty Muffins said:
Every single one of these should have a US release. I dont want to import. :(

Most will. The only ones that are 100% no are Namco X Capcom because of all the rights, plus it would be a bitch to localize and so not worth it in sales and Oz because Sony approval people are jerks and have a personal grudge/behind the scenes dealing to keep it away.

Ryu Ga Gotoku is still unknown, but hopefully. Ys could very well see a PS2 port like Ys VI and then that port could come to the US, and Abyss is a sure-fire IMO.

Namco x Capcom is really mediocre--like Bebpo said, it just goes on and on and on and on. Cute character cameos only carry you so far.

I think he underrated Legendia, though he later said he was basing his score on the grueling character quests inclusive, so there is that. ;) It has the best "epic" soundtrack of any RPG I played last year, and a really great cast--Tales fans shouldn't feel scared away.

Bebpo said:
Most will. The only ones that are 100% no are Namco X Capcom because of all the rights, plus it would be a bitch to localize and so not worth it in sales and Oz because Sony approval people are jerks and have a personal grudge/behind the scenes dealing to keep it away.

Which are two games that I want. Probably too much work to clean up NXC but OZ should come out just like all the N1 games and other 2D rpg's have. I'll just have to find a way to get a UK copy and buy something to allow me to play it on my ps2 via software.

Any more screens of this game?

Bebpo

Banned
Dr. Kitty Muffins said:
Which are two games that I want. Probably too much work to clean up NXC but OZ should come out just like all the N1 games and other 2D rpg's have. I'll just have to find a way to get a UK copy and buy something to allow me to play it on my ps2 via software.

Any more screens of this game?

It's a 3d action rpg by the team that made Suikoden III.

oz04.jpg

oz05.jpg

Top Bottom