• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Japan] As Switch comes after PS4, Sony should be worried

After the Wii U failure and how touch and go that first year for 3DS was before the huge price drop I'd be hesitant to label any Nintendo hardware a "safe bet" tbh.

Also, you're kind of underselling what a big deal international markets are, especially with the Japanese market's decline in recent years.

If anything, I'd have thought the idea of anything, even a competing product, potentially revitalising the JP market would be welcomed by all, but I'm sceptical that Switch can pull off such a feat.

Considering the Western markets have eclipsed the Japanese market to the nth degree, I think Sony (and everyone else) can afford to not give a damn about Japan.

Tomeru

I dont get what OP is trying to say:

Sony should be worried because 3rd parties would now also be on a nintendo platform, and that means that potential new customers would not buy sony becasue they buy nintendo?

How does that work?

Some Nobody

Sony will be fine. And in a close-to-perfect world for this scenario, the Switch indeed gets the games Japan would've made for consoles in the past. Sony has the western market, and the Switch would get us a bunch of cool Japanese games with decent graphics that can be played either on a big screen or on the go.

If you can afford both systems, it's a best of both worlds deal.

Great post OP. I think it's a foregone conclusion that Switch will dominate the Japanese market..but I also feel it's going to do be a juggernaught everywhere else too.
Same. It's built around a great and easily sellable idea.

I would love to see Japanese games flourish again.

Piers

People will go back to PS4/XB1s after a year of Switch. They'll want graphics and performance with "console titles" over the advantage of portability.
Outside of Japan, that is. Inside, yes.

Fisty

Yep Switch is going to steal all the Japanese PS4 games
unless those devs and publishers want to actually sell games in the west

What exactly is he lying about?

North America is a larger market than Japan, and growing.

The EU is a larger market than Japan, and growing.

China is a larger market than Japan, and growing.

The reasons to put inordinate focus on Japan as a market shrink every year. The Asian market is now mostly China, so the Japanese are increasingly going to just have to accept products aimed at China, much as Canadians have to accept products aimed at the US.

Wereroku

I mean the Switch is even more of a dedicated console then the 3DS or WiiU so why would they need to worry. Most games designed with the Switch in mind could easily be ported to the PS4 and vice versa. It just seems odd that now that Nintendo is most in line with the other makers that companies wouldn't just release it on all the platforms.

WarLox

I fail to understand why people are pretending that the switch isn't a mobile handheld. Its not a home console just because it has a tv out option.

Can someone explain why this is being viewed as the wii u successor and not the ds successor? I genuinely dont understand.

I mean the Switch is even more of a dedicated console then the 3DS or WiiU so why would they need to worry. Most games designed with the Switch in mind could easily be ported to the PS4 and vice versa. It just seems odd that now that Nintendo is most in line with the other makers that companies wouldn't just release it on all the platforms.

How is the switch more of a dedicated console than the wii u? I dont understand whats happening right now. Lol

Rezae

Can someone explain why this is being viewed as the wii u successor and not the ds successor? I genuinely dont understand.

It doesn't appear to have near the portability of a DS. Giant screen, non-clamshell. I would "assume" a poorer battery.

I'll just echo what others have said... Sony doesn't and shouldn't care (I say this as someone who is super enthusiastic for the Switch). Japan doesn't matter. Sorry. There is a reason Sony launched the PS4 in NA first. It's a WW focus now. Japan has shifted greatly towards mobile and away from consoles, and Sony was smart enough to set themselves up to withstand that and still flourish.

I hope both systems do well, but I don't see the Switch having much if any impact on Sony's overall focus with the PS4 and beyond.

MacTag

Banned
I imagine Sony want's the switch to do well. Could make for easy porting of Japanese developed games.
I think you're on to something here. It's become increasingly clear that PS4 won't be able to support the Japanese market itself and Japanese games haven't exactly been selling big on it in the west either. We may be looking at a situation here where PS4 actually needs a successful Switch in order to encourage multiplatform development and not see it's Japanese support simply migrate away to mobile entirely.

PS3 was actually pretty similar, even though Xbox 360 was it's most direct competition in a sense PS3 needed it to provide a larger "HD audience" for publishers to maintain support. PS3 might have lost most of it's exclusives but it didn't lose the games entirely, which it might have if there were no 360 to help expand the audience and reduce the risk.

Why should they be worried? They want the Switch to succeed if it means helping revitalize the Japanese console market. Japanese devs aren't going to abandon the PS4 given its worldwide dominance, especially if they can find success in those markets. Sony has reacted to the dominance of mobile, but they have nothing to fear from the Switch. Nintendo and Sony should be wishing each other the best as it's going to be mutually beneficial in Japan if they both succeed.

sphinx

the piano man
This is the new version of the old classic "no reasons for wiiu to not rule japan "?

I was going to post this, but this time the Kool-aid is stronger. There are some downright silly predictions in this thread.

WiiU at least was coming from the Wii which was a smash hit.

Switch will need luck to be just "ok" in Japan, nothing is ok in Japan besides Mobile and the old-ass 3DS,

What exactly is he lying about?

North America is a larger market than Japan, and growing.

The EU is a larger market than Japan, and growing.

China is a larger market than Japan, and growing.

The reasons to put inordinate focus on Japan as a market shrink every year. The Asian market is now mostly China, so the Japanese are increasingly going to just have to accept products aimed at China, much as Canadians have to accept products aimed at the US.
Japan is shrinking because they DONT WANT the most recent console, PS4, and 3DS is on its way out. Once Nintendo releases Switch the market will probably grow again.

And I thought he was talking about individual markets, not EU as a whole. No wonder a whole continent is bigger than a small island. Wow! 🎉

aadiboy

Nintendo needs to worry about the west. They sold a combined 70-80 million units of Wii U and 3DS...there's no way the Switch is getting to that number alone.

MoonFrog

I don't think this hurts Sony at all, if Switch is successful.

They gave up on growing Japan. They are trying to grow in the world and have a western dominated games line-up. Yes, they benefit from Japanese development, but Switch games are within porting distance of PS4 games, so games made for Switch with worldwide ambitions will also be on PS4.

It could even help them, with, say, SMT5 being perhaps PS4/Switch as opposed to 4DS.

Of course, it helps Nintendo a whole lot more. Switch is set up to create a PS4/Switch multiplatform environment for Nintendo, which sets them up to have a much broader catalog of games that target their core consumers.

Nintendo would also have to become suddenly more competitive against PS4 worldwide, for this to hurt Sony.

EDIT: You are, however, catching the core potential of the Switch as I see it and how it does in Japan will be huge as to how it does overall and how it sets Nintendo up.

Nilaul

Japan is basically Switch territory. Switch is a portable too (a 3DS successor too), it means its going to get all the Pokemon games, all the Monster hunters etc. Nothing Sony can do.

AniHawk

switch is going to do really well, as long as it's under $300 and comes with a game (splatoon). as the vita dies, the switch is poised to help supplement both that fanbase and the mainstream 3ds fanbase. nintendo stands to gain a lot from the ecosystem that's largely benefited sony in japan for the last decade, and it will create the same situation that exists in the west where the playstation and xbox systems largely share the same publisher base. i'm not sure how things hurt sony much. external forces are hurting the ps4's prospects in japan, but i think sony's issues in the longterm are more internal. i don't see them adapting to the marketplace at the speed and with the focus that they need.

RocknRola

If Nintendo focuses solely on winning Japan (even if by DS or 3DS numbers, which would be amazing) they'll have a bad time.

Sony, for all the mistakes they've done in Japan, wasnt wrong on betting on a GLOBAL market. Nintendo doubling down on Japan would be akin to MS doubling down on the NA market. It works in that market, yeah, but ignoring the ROTW is a big mistake.

Though I agree that the Switch has, at this point in time, everything to be a major hit in Japan.

Japan is shrinking because they DONT WANT the most recent console, PS4, and 3DS is on its way out. Once Nintendo releases Switch the market will probably grow again.

And I thought he was talking about individual markets, not EU as a whole. No wonder a whole continent is bigger than a small island. Wow! 🎉
This is exactly the point people are getting at. Why chase that Japanese market? Why hope that you can stagnate the tides of change for a few more years?

The Switch doing well in Japan wouldn't be enough room to cause Sony any kind of concern. It's probably to their benefit actually and would be a useful outcome.

dracula_x

Lol.

and Japanese console market is "shrinking" for other reasons, not just because people "DONT WANT the most recent consoles".

fahr

I just think a lot of Japanese gamers do not "get" how gaming has become. Looking at TGS, they still see video games as arcade-like, or gameplay-driven. I do not think they care about lore, plot, the experience, ambiance, etc. and more of goal-oriented, challenge-focused, mechanics-driven.

And thank God for that.

That's totally why, not the rise of mobile and the shrinking of the gaming-age population. Sure.

And why should companies make that bet anyway? They have a sure thing with the US & Canada, the EU (a common market, so a valid comparison to national markets), and China.

I have a feeling this thread will be necro bumped next year.

Switch will inevitably pass the PS4 in japan but its going to have a tough time until the big hitters like pokemon , animal crossing, and splatoon come. And keep in mind those will probably be on 3ds as well until 2018.

Is there any reason the Switch won't dominate Japan?

Hehe.

Anyway, Switch should help the Japanese market but I wouldn't just assume it will be a 3DS level success there because a) mobile and b) the form factor being not tremendously portable.

I think you'll see a lot of Switch + PS4 titles, especially if it's not difficult to port between the machines. In this sense, the Switch being successful might actually be a good thing for Sony in Japan.

Duxxy3

Wouldn't surprise me if the Switch outsells the PS4's LTD by the end of 2017. Not even sure it will take that long.

Anticol

Banned
I thought the end of Sony and Play Station would come from the hand of Microsoft, but OP is right, I was wrong all along, it will come from the hand of Nintendo.

GDGF

Soothsayer
Switch will be good for third parties in Japan because it will give them a broader ecosystem to sell their wares.

Switch will be good for Nintendo because they will be within porting distance of previously PS4 only games.

Switch will be good for Sony because it will open them up to receiving previously 3DS only games in order to recoup higher development costs.

Kumbaya, motherfuckers <3

Gxgear

Some cherrypicking required to make the argument, but at the end of the day Nintendo consoles have not done well enough to make Sony look like the lesser horse to back (and despite Wii's success it didn't necessary translate to high 3rd party sales).

antibolo

Banned
Sony doesn't give two shits about Japan, they're just riding the brand recognition of PlayStation as long as they can. Third parties have taken 100% of the responsibility in making games that the Japanese consumer wants.

Hell since the switch from SCE to SIE they're not even a Japanese branch of Sony anymore.

Top Bottom