• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Japan] As Switch comes after PS4, Sony should be worried

Tobor

Sony is far from fine in Japan after the mobile market took over the industry. Although FFXV did sell pretty well it didn't sell to the expectations of the previous games. Nintendo is the one that is fine and its not concerned with their user base. We already know the Switch will do well given how the Switch was built.

Uh huh. Not concerned at all. That's why Nintendo is making mobile games and trying to cater to an older market with the Switch after their handheld market shrank by half last gen and their console business fell off a cliff.

MoonFrog

This is a dumb question, but how important is the Japanese game consumer to Sony? They're ceding the handheld market to Nintendo, the console market is dead there, and mobile is a bigger threat to them there than Nintendo ever was.

I guess that question was rhetorical. I just don't see the premise of this article bring particularly salient. I guess that there is also an argument that it would lure Japanese devs away, but I doubt that. At most, there would just be more PS4/Switch multipliers.
Not very. 3rd party support is something they can use to differentiate from Xbox, but even there Switch is threatening to share (perhaps strengthen too), not steal.

I have to agree, but if anything, it's not Nintendo that Sony needs to worry about...it's their current financial status as well as the PS5 in the future (especially if it bombs).

Only challenge I see for Sony will be SE, since they have traditionally supported both Sony and Nintendo with there own exclusive games, Switch is going to make Nintendo exclusive games way more risk in profit. I assume Switch will get a ton more mobile rpg ports then PS4 will.

Mieu

Trends, data, and figures sometimes only go so far that they don't really translate well with the output.

Let's cross the bridge when we get there. Only time will tell.

I would guess that the Switch will end up somewhere in between 10-20 million sales in Japan, which will actually be a shrinkage in generational sales for Nintendo compared to Wii U + 3DS if they don't have another pillar show up at some point.

The thing the Switch does have going for it is that it can collect a lot of the home and portable titles in one place. Someone earlier in the thread mentioned that it could play the 3DS version of Dragon Quest XI, which I thought was odd, because it probably can play the PS4 version of Dragon Quest XI. In reality, it could potentially get both versions if they are different enough to warrant it. The other inherent benefit is that if it does close in on the typical Nintendo portable generational sales level, it could provide a user base in Japan that 3rd parties haven't seen on a competitively powerful home console systems since the PS2.

I'm actually wondering if the switch might struggle to be perceived as a handheld, being that it's quite a bit larger than a 3DS, isn't it?

Randomizer

Sony already switched(
hoho
) to mainly worldwide/western based markets last generation. It seems like 90% of their first party output is by western developers. Western developers usually cater to and have western markets in mind. I mean they have their niche with their Otaku crap with the Vita and of course the ever excellent Japan Studio gives them some legitimacy. Their loss of Monster Hunter to Nintendo really impacted their handheld market share.

If the Switch becomes the defacto Japanese console, I really don't want all those weeby Vita games flooding the Switch. It's already given the poor Vita a reputation, no need for anyone else to suffer. Can't they go back to making this shit on PC? No offence to the PC, I just meant they should go back to irrelevancy and out of the mass market.

AmyS

All I have to say is that I sincerely hope Nintendo w/Nvidia plan to make a powerful Dock/SCD if not a separate console for Holiday 2018-2019 using a semi-custom ARM-Volta SoC (perhaps like Nvidia Xavier but stripped of its self-driving car functionality), which could also support any future Nintendo AR/VR platform. Would meet or exceed Scorpio-level performance but at a reasonable price ($299). Nvidia CEO said the partnership with Nintendo would likely last two decades -- I'm only thinking 2 or 3 years out here.

120v

I'm actually wondering if the switch might struggle to be perceived as a handheld, being that it's quite a bit larger than a 3DS, isn't it?

i don't think it matters, re: "whether people see it as handheld/home console"

anybody with brain knows they can use it however they want. that's the main pitch of the console and it's not hard to understand, just like wii using motion controls or whatever

granted, it's obvs not a dedicated handheld but mobile shaved off too much of that market to matter, when you whittle it all down

HardRojo

I swear these Switch threads bring the worst from both sides.
We barely know shit about the console. It's hard to speculate with such vague information, we're relying again merely on rumors that seem to pop up on a daily basis. I'll just take a wait and see approach with this.

Vinnk

Switch will outsell the PS4 in Japan unless something goes drastically wrong. The platform that will have Pokemon, Mario, Zelda, Yokai Watch, Monster Hunter, Dragon Quest, etc. should have little problem outselling Sony's lowest selling home console. Again in Japan not worldwide.

And if 3rd parties in Japan can do well that benefits all of us. Because I don't like most JPN games made to cater to the West.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Unless Sony does another handheld I dont think they are concerned about Switch.

Thats not gonna be the struggle. The struggle is going to be for it to be perceived as a home console.

Tadaima

I'm sorry that I disappeared not long after creating the thread, but it was pretty late by the time I posted it and I have only just been able to take a break from work.

It is interesting to read so many different perspectives. I'll try to catch up this evening.

I swear these Switch threads bring the worst from both sides.
We barely know shit about the console. It's hard to speculate with such vague information, we're relying again merely on rumors that seem to pop up on a daily basis. I'll just take a wait and see approach with this.
This speculation combines pre-existing factors, such as market decline and underperformance of the PS4, as well as Nintendo's consistent successes in the handheld space, with what we know about Switch so far.

kyser73

Outside the core gamer/Nintendo fan base the apps Switch has will be a big purchasing consideration IMO.

They might say it's a home console you can move around, but parents buying this will be weighing it up against a tablet they can use too.

MoonFrog

I would guess that the Switch will end up somewhere in between 10-20 million sales in Japan, which will actually be a shrinkage in generational sales for Nintendo compared to Wii U + 3DS if they don't have another pillar show up at some point.

The thing the Switch does have going for it is that it can collect a lot of the home and portable titles in one place. Someone earlier in the thread mentioned that it could play the 3DS version of Dragon Quest XI, which I thought was odd, because it probably can play the PS4 version of Dragon Quest XI. In reality, it could potentially get both versions if they are different enough to warrant it. The other inherent benefit is that if it does close in on the typical Nintendo portable generational sales level, it could provide a user base in Japan that 3rd parties haven't seen on a competitively powerful home console systems since the PS2.
Potential of the device is huge as to Japan. But there's a huge question if there's space to move it in Japan. If there is, it is exactly the console Japanese consoles le gaming/development could use. If there's not, well...Japanese gaming is in a very dark place going forward. Either could be the case. I really hope it's the former.

Either way, it doesn't do anything much to Sony really, who has already abandoned salvaging Japan. Nintendo boxed themselves into needing Japan this past decade. Sony has been withdrawing.

One big difference is all those earlier Nintendo portables could be fit into your pocket. I don't think that is the case with the Switch. Will the Japanese embrace a portable that isn't all that portable? A tablet that will require a bag to be carried around?

I could see the switch not being the best of the both worlds, as is being claimed. I could see the switch not empowering their tradition of success with portable devices, but doing the opposite.

patapuf

I don't know if Sony is all that worried about potentially having a bit less marketshare in japan.

It seems that market is much more important for Nintendo than it is for Sony.

MacTag

Banned
Thats not gonna be the struggle. The struggle is going to be for it to be perceived as a home console.
I don't think it's a coincidence that all marketing presentations so far have portayed Switch as a home console first and a portable handheld second. Likely because Wii U is already dead and buried while Nintendo wants to ride out 3DS a couple more years. In 2018 we'll probably get a smaller formfactor Switch to coincide with 3DS being put to rest.

The market proved to be quite price sensitive in Japan.

So an expensive Switch could make everything quite ugly for Nintendo.
Japan is actually the least price sensitive market.

JB2448

I don't think it's a coincidence that all marketing presentations so far have portayed Switch as a home console first and a portable handheld second. Likely because Wii U is already dead and buried while Nintendo wants to ride out 3DS a couple more years. In 2018 we'll probably get a smaller formfactor Switch to coincide with 3DS being put to rest.
That's the thing. In Japan, it's not really marketed as a home console so far (anyone who knows better, please correct me if I'm wrong):
One thing that interests me in how Nintendo is marketing the Switch internationally is the difference in it being referred to as a "home gaming system" or just a "gaming console" in the initial screen everyone sees when they first go to the official Switch site in each region. To test this out, try it in a private browsing session using your preferred browser.
In North America, Europe, and Australia:
http://www.nintendo.com/switch said:
unknown.png
In Japan:
https://www.nintendo.co.jp/switch/ said:
Edit: Does the official Japanese announcement press release for the Switch mention anything about it being a home console? If so, that makes the points I'm making moot.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
Potential role reversals. Sony are dominating the west but doing meh in Japan. Nintendo will likely dominate Japan but might do eh in the west. Neither should worry too much about the other.

MacTag

Banned
That's the thing. In Japan, it's not really marketed as a home console so far (anyone who knows better, please correct me if I'm wrong):
Weirdly Japan so far has gotten the same exact marketing as the west. It's console first there too seemingly although all that could change once more regionally targeted marketing starts rolling out.

Oregano

?. $249 3DS was not exactly flying from the shelves in Japan. It was after the massive price drop when 3DS started so sell like normal Nintendo handheld in Japan.

You know someone can correct me if I'm wrong but I'm fairly sure pre-price cut 3DS was still selling better than any non-3DS system has sold this gen.

MacTag

Banned
?. $249 3DS was not exactly flying from the shelves in Japan. It was after the massive price drop when 3DS started so sell like normal Nintendo handheld in Japan.
1.3m in 5 months isn't bad. Way better than Vita (700k), PS4 (650k) or Wii U (900k) did.

You know someone can correct me if I'm wrong but I'm fairly sure pre-price cut 3DS was still selling better than any non-3DS system has sold this gen.

1.3m in 5 months isn't bad. Way better than Vita (700k), PS4 (650k) or Wii U (900k) did.

That is not exactly a huge achievement considering the rocky starts each of those systems in Japan had. Nintendo needed it to sell way more considering how huge part Japan still plays in their business. Fact is that only after massive price cut it started to sell more like DS and GBA than PS4 or Vita.

wapplew

For me, with Switch being powerful, more likely Japanese thrid party will make game on both PS4 and switch.
Which means Monster hunter on console, baby!

MacTag

Banned
That is not exactly a huge achievement considering the rocky starts each of those systems in Japan had. Nintendo needed it to sell way more considering how huge part Japan still plays in their business. Fact is that only after massive price cut it started to sell more like DS and GBA than PS4 or Vita.
DS did have a better start (2.3m) but PSP was basically identical (1.3m). 3DS was a decline yes but far from terrible.

All this is beside the point though. Japan is still the least price sensitive marketplace.

Nintendo needs to worry about the west. They sold a combined 70-80 million units of Wii U and 3DS...there's no way the Switch is getting to that number alone.
It has struck me that while we sometimes think about this point for Nintendo's merging of the lines, Sony's basically in the same boat with phasing out what was once the PSP market.

MacTag

Banned
It has struck me that while we sometimes think about this point for Nintendo's merging of the lines, Sony's basically in the same boat with phasing out what was once the PSP market.
Yes. Despite PS4's incredible success Sony is still going to move less total hardware (and likely software) this gen than last. Everyone is actually although Nintendo was hit hardest.

Yes. Despite PS4's incredible success Sony is still going to move less total hardware (and likely software) this gen than last. Everyone is actually although Nintendo was hit hardest.

Yes but they make up for it with PS+ and much more 3rd party sales on PS4 .
The PSP did not sell that much software at least compare to there home system .
By the end of this gen PS4 might sell more software than PSP and PS3 combine .

On topic don't think Sony to worry about switch in Japan .
Japan is not a big deal for them comapre to the past .

MacTag

Banned
Yes but they make up for it with PS+ and much more 3rd party sales on PS4 .
The PSP did not sell that much software at least comapre to there home system .
Following XBL's lead with PSN has definitely made it a goldmine. I'm kinda worried Nintendo will follow suit.

PSP still sold a ton of software, particularly in Japan. 330 million UMDs was the last worldwide figure we got before they started adding Vita totals and that's not counting digital.

Cynar

You're in for a rude awakening imo.
The Switch is far from being a japanese friendly product.
As a handheld it is too big and without the exclusive features that previous Nintendo dedicated handhelds enjoyed like dual screens and 3D.
As a home console it has weak hardware without major third party support.
Switch won't save anything, it will be lucky to be more successful than Wii U and reach a GC level success IMO.
This is pretty much what I have been saying as well. It's going to be too underpowered to really compete with the ps4 or Xbox one and we'll just end up seeing weaker ports and then eventually the system will just be dominated by first party. I'll still end up getting one but I sincerely doubt it will ever leave third place.

Top Bottom