• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japan DS & PSP SW - LTD

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
I kind of understand where fronn is coming from though, especially when you have people looking at sales charts going "wow, Game A is doing awesome!! Go Game A!! :D" even though they haven't even played it or barely know anything about it except for being on a certain platform they're "cheering" for. But that kind of behaviour isn't DS exclusive of course, more like DS is doing better than any other platform in Japan so we're simply seeing more DS titles up there followed by more excited cheers from parts of the crowd.

Dalthien said:
I've completed all of the updates again - so the chart (1st post of this thread) is all caught up once more. As always - big-time thanks go to cvxfreak.

Based on monorojo's and Jarrod's comments recently, I also went ahead and did some 3rd-party calculations from my chart:

DS 3rd-party totals = 4,183,221
PSP 3rd-party totals = 3,965,988

DS 1st-party totals = 15,914,093
PSP 1st-party totals = 1,362,011

The first thing that jumps out at me is that Sony has to be very disappointed that they've only managed to sell a bit more than a million units of 1st-party software in almost 1.5 years on the PSP. And more than 500,000 of those total sales are just from Hot Shots Golf: Open Tee.

Anyway, these numbers confirm monorojo's claims that 3rd-party sales have been pretty much even between the two platforms thus far. But when I break the numbers down further, Jarrod's claims begin to bear fruit.

I split up the 3rd-party sales between the extended launch period, and post launch. The extended launch period runs from launch through until mid-2005, this includes a holiday season, as well as the first half of 2005 (through June/05). The 2nd half of 2005 plus 2006 (Media Create thru Mar 26/06 and Famitsu thru Mar 19/06) is included in the post launch period.

DS 3rd-party launch sales (released through June/05) = 1,201,230
PSP 3rd-party launch sales (released through June/05) = 1,835,679

DS 3rd-party post launch sales (released after June/05) = 2,981,991
PSP 3rd-party post launch sales (released after June/05) = 2,130,309

Could you also post the number of games added up for each platform in your total sales numbers? Not saying it would neccessarily change anything, but I think it would be interesting to see (and sorry if those numbers have been posted before).

ioi

Banned
Kiriku said:
I kind of understand where fronn is coming from though, especially when you have people looking at sales charts going "wow, Game A is doing awesome!! Go Game A!! :D" even though they haven't even played it or barely know anything about it except for being on a certain platform they're "cheering" for.

But who is doing that?

ziran

AdmiralViscen and ioi are right.

i love nintendogs and i love animal crossing, and so do millions of other people.

the fact i don't cry out at every opportunity about how brilliant these games are, is because someone else's view of the game has no bearing on my opinion.

the success of 'non-games' and the declining sales of 'hardcore games' are separate issues (yes they are all games and these words are stupidly defined). the hardcore gaming market was declining in japan years before non-games appeared, however the problem is this decline is continuing.

the fact a non-game sells isn't causing a hardcore game not to sell, the fact is most hardcore games are suffering from declining sales, period.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
ioi said:
But who is doing that?

In this thread? Probably noone. But in all of those sales threads, I'm sure there have been moments of some people saying stuff like, for example, "Go Brain Training!! :D" even though I'm very confident they hadn't even played the game at that time. Not going to search around to "prove" anything though, but if you think there's noone doing anything like that for any platform you're, in lack of better terms, ignorant.

ioi

Banned
Kiriku said:
In this thread? Probably noone. But in all of those sales threads, I'm sure there have been moments of some people saying stuff like, for example, "Go Brain Training!! :D" even though I'm very confident they hadn't even played the game at that time. Not going to search around to "prove" anything though, but if you think there's noone doing anything like that for any platform you're, in lack of better terms, ignorant.

Well, put it this way, the people who are doing that are in the very small minority. the rest of us are either fairly impartial (yes I prefer Nintendo but that doesn't stop me from putting on a neutral hat sometimes) or just interested in the industry and how it is performing.

It's the people who seem to take offence that their console of choice isn't doing as well as they'd like, as though it undermines their own opinions of it that cause these problems. Like if game x doesn't sell well then suddenly it's not the great game they thought it was anymore- they seem to be insecure about their own opinions.

Personally, I tend to have two versions of a game. There's Animal Crossing, the cute little game I have been playing a lot of lately and getting quite involved with, and there's Animal Crossing, the "sales entity" that has been breaking records in Japan and selling well.

They are like two different things to me. One I sit and play and enjoy, another I sit and analyse the sales of and "support" because I have chosen to. In terms of a "sales entity" Animal Crossing e+ is different to Animal Crossing is different to Animal Crossing: Wild World because they all sold different amounts at different times on different consoles so I will compare one to another and generally treat them as totally seperate things when I'm in "sales" mode. In terms of the game itself though, they are obviously the same.

I guess in that way there may be some truth to what fronn is saying. It's human nature to support something and we do it for the most stupid of reasons sometimes. It's like your favourite football (sorry soccer) team- what is it that you are actually supporting? If every single player, the manager and everything else moved to another team you would still support your original team, how stupid is that?

We all like supporting things, and I guess I tend to go for the underdog (Nintendo) vs the big evil company (Sony) when we are forced to take sides.

Most of the time though, I am happy to just sit in the middle and see what's going on.

You know putting things in perspective, Animal Crossing has been selling about 200,000 every month in Japan since it's release [even more than that near the release].

That's amazing

LanceStern said:
You know putting things in perspective, Animal Crossing has been selling about 200,000 every month in Japan since it's release [even more than that near the release].

That's amazing

I sure as hell hope you own (and love) the game, or else your surprise at its sales is almost criminal.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
ioi said:
Well, put it this way, the people who are doing that are in the very small minority. the rest of us are either fairly impartial (yes I prefer Nintendo but that doesn't stop me from putting on a neutral hat sometimes) or just interested in the industry and how it is performing.

It's the people who seem to take offence that their console of choice isn't doing as well as they'd like, as though it undermines their own opinions of it that cause these problems. Like if game x doesn't sell well then suddenly it's not the great game they thought it was anymore- they seem to be insecure about their own opinions.

Personally, I tend to have two versions of a game. There's Animal Crossing, the cute little game I have been playing a lot of lately and getting quite involved with, and there's Animal Crossing, the "sales entity" that has been breaking records in Japan and selling well.

They are like two different things to me. One I sit and play and enjoy, another I sit and analyse the sales of and "support" because I have chosen to. In terms of a "sales entity" Animal Crossing e+ is different to Animal Crossing is different to Animal Crossing: Wild World because they all sold different amounts at different times on different consoles so I will compare one to another and generally treat them as totally seperate things when I'm in "sales" mode. In terms of the game itself though, they are obviously the same.

I guess in that way there may be some truth to what fronn is saying. It's human nature to support something and we do it for the most stupid of reasons sometimes. It's like your favourite football (sorry soccer) team- what is it that you are actually supporting? If every single player, the manager and everything else moved to another team you would still support your original team, how stupid is that?

We all like supporting things, and I guess I tend to go for the underdog (Nintendo) vs the big evil company (Sony) when we are forced to take sides.

Most of the time though, I am happy to just sit in the middle and see what's going on.

Yeah, I know people like to root for stuff, guess it's in the human nature. And...I wasn't neccessarily judging people who do that here even though it may have sounded like it. I mean, I do it myself (Go Tekken!) from time to time but not very seriously. I assume the problem lies with people who take it too seriously and in a personal way. In any case, my purpose was only to try to make it more clear where fronn was coming from as I can understand that point of view (assuming I actually interpreted it the right way, of course).

Actually I'm cheering for Brain Training despite the fact I've never played it.
Here's why.
Brain Training is a game that is selling well a non-gaming audience and is acting as one of the biggest expanders of the handheld market. It could also be said that people who own a DS have a greater propensity to purchase non-non-games. With that said an expanding market which is bringing in gamers, a portion of which becoming real gamers, will definitely increase my future gaming experience as an owner of a handheld system as the handheld industry invariably becomes larger (Meaning it can support more third parties, meaning game output would be increased).
So why wouldn't I root for Brain Training?

Top Bottom