• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japan DS & PSP SW - LTD

Getting an early start eh, Ani? We should be in for some good posts later.

Edit: Boones farm doesn't count as "fine" wine. Or even "wine" for that matter.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Newzboyz99 said:
Picture I see is DS climbing while PSP is falling.
I'd like to see a graph (this thread is sadly lacking) that shows the monthly totals for each handheld broken down by 1st and 3rd party games. :)

Monorojo said:
"But if you dont include a couple years and only look at this shortperiod of time, DS wins!"
But aren't you the guy that's essentially said, "If you don't count certain games, then arbitrarily set a number for which a game selling more than it counts as a success, PSP wins!" ?

Monorojo said:
Like ive said before, lok at the big picture.

As a Nintendo fan who lived through their Dark Ages and who witnissed the rise of the Xbox from the bowels of the dreaded TeamXbox Forums, I can't help but smile a bit at this thread. *sips wine with Anihawk*

Rock_Man

cvxfreak said:
I can do it from April 2005...

That would be appreciated.

Media Create gave us these numbers last year btw (when Monorojos argument about third party sales were still valid*),
December 2004 - April 10:th 2005
DS SW total = 3,148,288
DS SW third party = 728,248
PSP SW total = 2,196,119
PSP SW third party = 1,492,343

*Edit: Actually it was never valid. Games that were released on both platforms (like Puyo Puyo Fever) did sell better on DS.

fronn

What's with this obsession you clowns have with NDS/PSP sales?

The NDS fans are celebrating when complete junk sells... Somehow I doubt you guys would be getting nearly as excited if something like Dogz or Solitaire Deluxe 2000 Super Pack was selling at the top of the charts on the PC or any other platform. So who the fuck cares when Nintendogs or Brain training shit sells? A rational person would be disappointed when that garbage sells and the good games don't. DS has good games, be happy, but don't celebrate when dumb games (or "games") sell just because they happen to be on the DS.

The few PSP spinners need to settle down. PSP isn't doing all that hot in JP (comparatively, especially), and no amount of spinning is going to change it -- DS is selling like crazy, for whatever reason. The handheld market is big enough to support two giants, and hopefully MS doesn't try to stick their fat face where they don't belong again! (tee hee). I don't see how PSP could feasibly take over a healthy giant in one fell swoop when that giant has owned and continually grown the market (it'd be like anyone currently taking the console market from Sony in a single generation).

I also don't understand the point in only focusing on Japan, if you are going to have these silly battles of which is the best.

You guys are all insane, regardless.

Newzboyz99

Losers! My wife has me on lock!
Not to start an all out handheld war, but personally I think M$ makes more sense then Sony being in the handheld arena. Both them and Nintendo offer unique things. Nintendo obviously has their 1st party games which can only be played on thier systems, whereas M$ has pocket windows, outlook, etc that could be put together with a games machine to create an ultimate PDA. I have a feeling that Sony will be bumped out when M$ releases their handheld because it just will offer so much more.

Deku

Banned
fronn said:

The NDS fans are celebrating when complete junk sells... Somehow I doubt you guys would be getting nearly as excited if something like Dogz or Solitaire Deluxe 2000 Super Pack was selling at the top of the charts on the PC or any other platform. So who the fuck cares when Nintendogs or Brain training shit sells? A rational person would be disappointed when that garbage sells and the good games don't. DS has good games, be happy, but don't celebrate when dumb games (or "games") sell just because they happen to be on the DS.

Somehow I get the impression you haven't played any of the DS games you're knocking. Or don't care for those kind of games.

As for PSP doing decently, only the hardware is. The software picture is pretty bleak and as a business, I'd be hard press to call it a success, even a moderate one.

fronn said:
I also don't understand the point in only focusing on Japan, if you are going to have these silly battles of which is the best.
The different markets behave quite differently; only looking at the total sums makes analysis more difficult rather than easier.

You guys are all insane, regardless.
*nod*

fronn said:

You obviously don't like Nintendogs, Brain Training etc., but that doesn't change the fact that these "non games" (it's impossible to describe how I hate this term) have gotten really good reviews and therefore aren't "complete junk", "shit", "dumb games" or "garbage".

fronn

Deku said:
Somehow I get the impression you haven't played any of the DS games you're knocking. Or don't care for those kind of games.

As for PSP doing decently, only the hardware is. The software picture is pretty bleak and as a business, I'd be hard press to call it a success, even a moderate one.

Apparently they aren't my kind of game. But I find it hard to believe people of GAF are loving Nintendogs and Animal Crossing and the like as much as the cheers in sales threads would have you believe. Nintendogs is a tech demo, and animal crossing is just dumb. The point I was making had nothing to do with my opinion of the game, it's that people are cheering for games they probably don't even like because of the platform. Every single thread I see people excited for NDS taking 6+ spots on the top sales... yet good games bomb on other platforms (and NDS), but as long as NDS games take top sales spots, who cares about actual good games that you like, right?

Also, I'd say PSP's software outside of JP is doing rather well, or at least acceptable (the EA crap and ports are seemingly doing well, and that's a market, albeit a lame one, that NDS just doesn't have in the west). Hardware outside of JP is doing fine too (unless you think NDS is doing bad HW sales outside of JP). JP is just being one of those unpredictable beasts at the moment.

jarrod said:
Try reading the thread title, it helps.

My response was in general to the continuing insanity. The exact topic of this thread is rather irrelevant, as it's seemingly always about Japan sw/hw sales when it comes to the DS/PSP war.

JoshuaJSlone said:
The different markets behave quite differently; only looking at the total sums makes analysis more difficult rather than easier.

But I'd say it's equally silly to only focus on a single market when you're making any sort of analysis about a worldwide product.

Frankfurter said:
You obviously don't like Nintendogs, Brain Training etc., but that doesn't change the fact that these "non games" (it's impossible to describe how I hate this term) have gotten really good reviews and therefore aren't "complete junk", "shit", "dumb games" or "garbage".
You're right, I don't like those games. But they are junk. Ask Drinky!

That wasn't really my point of my post though, my opinion of the games is irrelevant -- I explained it in response to Deku. Maybe I should have been more clear to begin with.

fronn said:
But I'd say it's equally silly to only focus on a single market when you're making any sort of analysis about a worldwide product.
There are separate threads for separate statistics from separate regions. We just get the Japanese numbers with more frequency. And in the specific case of DS and PSP, the Japanese market is the only one where either has totally run away with the lead.

cvxfreak

Too bad fronn, no one cares about your opinion on the top selling games, so spare us the agony of having to listen to your whining about why people are discussing the topic matter. You're not the first to complain and it's gotten old. Sorry if this sounds harsh and I don't mean to say that your opinion is irrelevent, but your fighting the wrong fight here.

Anyway, for the post people DO care about:

Code:
Month	DS 1st Party	DS 3rd Party	DS Unacct.	PSP 1st Party	PSP 3rd Party	PSP Unacct.
APR	303058	145940	28584	104525	107337	50249
MAY	432411	195018	41029	67655	82923	72846
JUN	301661	117751	20907	32367	65791	46691
JUL	513518	220420	51436	33805	89469	109825
AUG	734986	129997	123890	29044	136341	69457
SEP	420489	293106	62766	72972	229953	54472
OCT	458001	234329	64376	27616	212126	84691
NOV	1033507	124713	76242	56548	116725	68538
DEC	2863198	954271	377871	78516	435874	166998
JAN	3982280	544,130	242910	121,804	450690	235,556
FEB	1205971	163691	102055	45872	287896	129339

From April 2005 to February 2006. The 3rd and 6th columns are the DS and PSP's unaccounted columns, or total sales not included in the top 100. They include both 1st and 3rd party.

JoshuaJSlone, if you can make the graphs, that'd be great. I didn't have you do the data compile since you wouldn't have been able to get the unaccounted numbers. ;) Thanks!

Data-wise, there are only two instances when DS 3rd party sales outdo the DS, and that's in August and February.

Dalthien

Hey, thanks a bunch for the data cvxfreak. I didn't have access to the monthly Top 100 charts for Apr - July, plus I only keep track of the updated totals for each game. I didn't bother keeping the monthly (or weekly) stats for each game.

Some of us definitely appreciate your contributions.

Anyway, I'll let JoshuaJSlone put together the graph (if he doesn't mind), as he has been the GraphMaster at GAF for some time now. :)

fronn

cvxfreak said:
Too bad fronn, no one cares about your opinion on the top selling games, so spare us the agony of having to listen to your whining about why people are discussing the topic matter. You're not the first to complain and it's gotten old. Sorry if this sounds harsh and I don't mean to say that your opinion is irrelevent, but your fighting the wrong fight here.

Since when did championing reality and non hypocrisy become the wrong fight?

I'd say the numerous stupid posts in these threads are getting far older than people "complaining" like me.

And its one thing to be excited when a game you like sells, it's completely different to get excited about games that you don't particularly like that sell.

Joeholley's post is an example of a reasonable post. Ouendan should have sold more.

Shalomi

Joeholley said:
42,770 Ossu! Tatakae! Ouendan! (Nintendo) (7/28/05) - through Oct 30/05

WTMF. Not REMOTELY acceptable.

Apparently the game was too stereotypically Japanese even for the Japanese.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
And its one thing to be excited when a game you like sells, it's completely different to get excited about games that you don't particularly like that sell.

... are you suggesting that no one likes Nintendogs, Animal Crossing , Brain training etc. and that they are only championing it because it's sold big numbers?!

... erm... you know, people legitimately like these wares, even if you obviously don't.

P.s. the Brain training GAMES are excellent. Please try them first.

cvxfreak

fronn said:
Since when did championing reality and non hypocrisy become the wrong fight?

I'd say the numerous stupid posts in these threads are getting far older than people "complaining" like me.

I'm afraid both the stupid posts and your post have gotten old and stale. The reality of the matter is, 2 Million people disagree with your opinion on Animal Crossing, and 1 Million people disagree with your opinion on Nintendogs so your opinion is really far from reality.

If by reality you mean the validity of people going over these sales figures, then you're still way off the mark. See the next point.

It's called not being biased. Going into sales threads for the sole purpose of pimping games you like is simply biased if one is to be interested in the whole of the sales industry. Truly unbiased people look at all the numbers and express their fascination with how much they're selling. I've no interest in English Training DS, but that won't detract from my surprise at how well it's doing.

Shalomi

cvxfreak said:
I'm afraid both the stupid posts and your post have gotten old and stale. The reality of the matter is, 3 Million people disagree with your opinion on Animal Crossing, and 5 Million people disagree with your opinion on Nintendogs so your opinion is really far from reality.

It's called not being biased. Going into sales threads for the sole purpose of pimping games you like is simply biased if one is to be interested in the whole of the sales industry. Truly unbiased people look at all the numbers and express their fascination with how much they're selling. I've no interest in English Training DS, but that won't detract from my surprise at how well it's doing.

Rock_Man

cvxfreak said:
Code:
Month	DS 1st Party	DS 3rd Party	DS Unacct.	PSP 1st Party	PSP 3rd Party	PSP Unacct.
APR	303058	145940	28584	104525	107337	50249
MAY	432411	195018	41029	67655	82923	72846
JUN	301661	117751	20907	32367	65791	46691
JUL	513518	220420	51436	33805	89469	109825
AUG	734986	129997	123890	29044	136341	69457
SEP	420489	293106	62766	72972	229953	54472
OCT	458001	234329	64376	27616	212126	84691
NOV	1807920	124713	301829	56548	116725	68538
DEC	2863198	954271	377871	78516	435874	166998
JAN	3982280	544,130	242910	121,804	450690	235,556
FEB	1205971	163691	102055	45872	287896	129339

Thanx!
DS November numbers should be much lower though. Please check them again.

cvxfreak said:
I'm afraid both the stupid posts and your post have gotten old and stale. The reality of the matter is, 2 Million people disagree with your opinion on Animal Crossing, and 1 Million people disagree with your opinion on Nintendogs so your opinion is really far from reality.

To be fair, just because alot of people have a game doesn't mean it's good... Americans buy hundreds of thousands of copies of crappy liscenced games each month, and Madden sells millions each year regardless of being the same game every year. =/

I do <3333333 Animal Crossing though. :D

cvxfreak

Rock_Man said:
Thanx!
DS November numbers should be much lower though. Please check them again.

Fixed in the original post! :)

Chris Michael said:
To be fair, just because alot of people have a game doesn't mean it's good... Americans buy hundreds of thousands of copies of crappy liscenced games each month, and Madden sells millions each year regardless of being the same game every year. =/

I do <3333333 Animal Crossing though. :D

True, but it doesn't stop the sales from being amazing now. ;)

fronn

cvxfreak said:

If by reality you mean the validity of people going over these sales figures, then you're still way off the mark. See the next point.

I think you've missed my point then, and if I was arguing with the points you brought up in that post, I'd have to say "touche," but I wasn't. My opinion of animal crossing and nintendogs is irrelevant, as I've said many times already. It's people getting excited for sales of a game merely because of the platform (goes for any platform, really), it's stupid, and I'd argue in most people that is because of a bias, not because of this fabled "unbias" you speak of (which is completely silly and nearly non existant on a forum like GAF, come on). There may be a few like you who are truly interested in the sales, but I'd wager that most people are in here to pimp their platform of choice. Fascination with the numbers is one thing, but getting excited because a game you don't particularly care for/about sells is silly, and I'd question your sanity for arguing against that. I have nothing against the DS, infact if the DSLite was here I'd buy one (don't fancy the original design -- I'm vain!), but it doesn't mean I'm going to get excited about games that I think suck selling well (it'd be akin to me getting excited for the EA trash selling well on PS2/XB -- that doesn't excite me, even though some of those numbers are insane; nobody seems to care about those).

Take that as you will. I'm about done with this topic, as not only are these threads annoying to read, but posting in them is as well.

cvxfreak

fronn said:
I think you've missed my point then, and if I was arguing with the points you brought up in that post, I'd have to say "touche," but I wasn't. My opinion of animal crossing and nintendogs is irrelevant, as I've said many times already. It's people getting excited for sales of a game merely because of the platform (goes for any platform, really), it's stupid, and I'd argue in most people that is because of a bias, not because of this fabled "unbias" you speak of (which is completely silly and nearly non existant on a forum like GAF, come on). There may be a few like you who are truly interested in the sales, but I'd wager that most people are in here to pimp their platform of choice. Fascination with the numbers is one thing, but getting excited because a game you don't particularly care for/about sells is silly, and I'd question your sanity for arguing against that. I have nothing against the DS, infact if the DSLite was here I'd buy one (don't fancy the original design -- I'm vain!), but it doesn't mean I'm going to get excited about games that I think suck selling well (it'd be akin to me getting excited for the EA trash selling well on PS2/XB -- that doesn't excite me, even though some of those numbers are insane; nobody seems to care about those).

Take that as you will. I'm about done with this topic, as not only are these threads annoying to read, but posting in them is as well.

Ah, that's cool then and I did get the wrong vibe from your post, so I apologize. :) And I actually fully agree.

I think the most obvious example from your post would be the days when Izzy was around, however long ago that was.

fronn said:

But we weren't talking about YOU getting excited, it's about US getting excited. YOU came in all upset that we were excited because you don't like the games.

fronn

A Link to the Past said:
But we weren't talking about YOU getting excited, it's about US getting excited. YOU came in all upset that we were excited because you don't like the games.

I came in upset because a lot of you guys are excited of games you don't even like. Very different. I don't really care if Nintendogs is selling well or poorly, because it's not a game I care about, but I'm not going to cheer for it because its on NDS. As I've said, that'd be like me cheering for PS2 because Madden 06 and a bunch of other EA junk that I don't fancy takes most of the top 10.

I admit, maybe this wasn't really the right topic, but I had seen enough and, because this is the internet, I thought my opinion needed to be shared. It probably would have helped had I been more clear to start with too.

fronn

Beezy said:
Fronn, we're called Sales-Age for a reason.

The Sales-Age moniker doesn't preclude people from posting with good sense.

I don't mind seeing the sales numbers, infact, I like seeing them! I just don't like a lot of people's posting behavior when it comes to the sales threads. And a lot of the insanity seems to happen in the NDS/PSP threads.

I'm a champion for non-hypocrisy based posting.

Okay, this is enough from me. Work is over.

jarrod said:
The "big picture" would be...

DS= slow launch, unprecedented 2nd year, 2x the userbase of the closest competitior

PSP= amazing launch, dramatic software decline, 3rd party games selling 20% less than the competitor's format on average

... the fact that basically half PSP's software sales came in it's first 4 months is not good, no matter how you slice it. Welcome to 2nd place Sonyfans.

jarrod for the win.

fronn said:

I completely agree with you. I don't know why, but since I came here about a year ago I suddenly had a complete mental takeover. I love stat tracking now. The only reason why I ever play Madden now is to see if I can get better statistics for all of my players, and get my whole team to be perfect as can be. I see many of the new Junior members coming around and pimping either PSP sales or DS. Though mostly DS sales in Japan threads. I admit that I have a bias for Nintendo and most of their games, but I try to be fair in sales threads with other consoles. If there is a good game that comes out for the PSP like Daxter or Exit I'm excited to see these games get good sales. I like to see trends in the market, and to theorize if they will continue in Japan for the Revo or maybe even the PS3. I haven't tried any of the Brain Training games yet, but they sound decently addicting. I bought Nintendogs for Christmas, but I put it back down in 5 hours and decided never to play it again. Animal Crossing though is a very addicting game that I play almost every day in my free time. I can see how people don't like these games. Some people like relaxing games like Rez, Harvest moon, or Animal Crossing for a different mix up in game moods.

First just a straight chart of the values provided by cvxfreak.
20060403dspspsoftware.png

Now a bit of manipulation with them. This chart focuses on the third party sales, as the discussion has. There are still 3 values for each system. The minimum, which are definitely 3rd party sales from the top 100. The maximum, which assumes that all the extra sales not from the top 100 are 3rd party sales. The inferred, which infers that the 1st/3rd party ratio for the system is the same as is present in the top 100.

Since a much higher percentage of PSP game sales are 3rd party, this gives PSP an advantage with the inferred numbers, additionally causing PSP to lead 3rd party sales in October, November, and January, though remaining nearly 500K behind in December. Probably this gives TOO much advantage to PSP, though. Nintendo is getting massive numbers because their games have been staying in the top 100.
20060403dspsp3rdparty.png

And now for those same values, cumulative totals since last April.
20060403dspsp3rdcumulative.png

It is possible for cumulative 3rd party sales since last April that PSP is ahead with these values, but it would take something extreme like 5% of the DS unaccounted sales being 3rd party games, and 90% of the PSP unaccounted sales being 3rd party games.

fronn said:
There may be a few like you who are truly interested in the sales, but I'd wager that most people are in here to pimp their platform of choice.
The thing is, fronn, those don't have to be radically different things. Usually the reason someone would be a fan of a particular hardware is because of its exclusive features or software.

Jiggy

fronn said:
So who the fuck cares when Nintendogs or Brain training shit sells? A rational person would be disappointed when that garbage sells and the good games don't. DS has good games, be happy, but don't celebrate when dumb games (or "games") sell just because they happen to be on the DS.
I do both. I'll lament that a game like Advance Wars DS, easily my GOTY 2005, couldn't crack 50k in Japan, but that doesn't mean I'm not happy to see high sales for a game like Nintendogs (which I didn't own and wouldn't ever--except maybe for $2.50 or less); high sales for Nintendogs means continued financial success for Nintendo, which in a roundabout way means more games like AWDS in the future.

Likewise, I hate seeing the high sales of, say, the Smackdown games in the US because it's not like THQ or Yukes are going to do anything worthwhile with the extra money. Or I'd enjoy seeing high Final Fantasy sales if I believed that Square-Enix was actually going to devote resources to a 2D Star Ocean with sprites and prerendered backgrounds on the DS.

To me these sales figures are more about the developers and publishers than the games. Or other interesting points... Going back to AWDS, I think it was on the previous page that someone made the point that its low sales in Japan probably guarantees that there's no worry about that series not coming to the US anymore, since they do over 400k here.

fronn said:
I came in upset because a lot of you guys are excited of games you don't even like. Very different. I don't really care if Nintendogs is selling well or poorly, because it's not a game I care about, but I'm not going to cheer for it because its on NDS. As I've said, that'd be like me cheering for PS2 because Madden 06 and a bunch of other EA junk that I don't fancy takes most of the top 10.

I admit, maybe this wasn't really the right topic, but I had seen enough and, because this is the internet, I thought my opinion needed to be shared. It probably would have helped had I been more clear to start with too.

You assume we don't like these games on what basis? Absolutely none. If you haven't already noticed, some aren't so shallow as to equate "non-game" with "shit".

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
I'd just like to add that I think quite a few people on GAF actually enjoy Animal Crossing (including me).

Tabris said:
No one here is argueing that PSP isn't second place. (Well I'm not)

I'm argueing that third party games just aren't selling on the DS in relation to the success of the handheld.

You have 7 million sellers on the DS. 1 is third party.

You have 12 500k+ sellers on the DS. 1 is third party.

You have 20 200k+ sellers on the DS. 4 are third party.

Only 1 company is profiting from the DS's success, and that is Nintendo.

...Except that the average DS 3rd party game STILL outsells the average PSP 3rd party game. That is what the devs and publishers care about. They care about how many units they've sold compared to what the budget for the game was, they don't give two shits about what percentage of a console's owners also own their game.

fronn said:
I came in upset because a lot of you guys are excited of games you don't even like.

Please prove that I do not like Animal Crossing and Nintendogs. If you can't, then all of your posts in this topic have been totally useless.

ioi

Banned
AdmiralViscen said:
Please prove that I do not like Animal Crossing and Nintendogs. If you can't, then all of your posts in this topic have been totally useless.

QFT

That's the fundamental flaw of his entire argument. Believe it or not a lot of people actually really like those games even if you don't fronn, and a lot of other people like discussing sales and trends just for their own interest even if you don't. I couldn't actually give a damn whether the DS or PSP sells better, I just find it interesting as an industry to watch and try to understand what's happening.

Top Bottom