• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japan GAF |OT| I'm not planning a trip; I live here!

Random Question here: I just realized I way way way over-shopped in Hong Kong(was here for 5 months plus brought in a luggage load from Japan half way through) I have 4 full huge luggage loads of designer clothing... My flight to tokyo leaves this morning. Anyone thinks I will have trouble at customs? considering going and shipping one of these luggage through UPS etc all though it will cost a fortune(Although already paying extra $100 per luggage, so maybe not....)

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Random Question here: I just realized I way way way over-shopped in Hong Kong(was here for 5 months plus brought in a luggage load from Japan half way through) I have 4 full huge luggage loads of designer clothing... My flight to tokyo leaves this morning. Anyone thinks I will have trouble at customs? considering going and shipping one of these luggage through UPS etc all though it will cost a fortune(Although already paying extra $100 per luggage, so maybe not....)

you might have issues if you are just a single traveller with tons of luggage. though its not like they will confiscate your stuff.

Aizo

Banned
If it is just clothing, then why would you worry?
If you have three bags of clothes and one bag full of explosives, then you should be worried. Just ship the explosives.

Ayumi

If it is just clothing, then why would you worry?
If you have three bags of clothes and one bag full of explosives, then you should be worried. Just ship the explosives.

If you ship them, there is a way larger chance they will get confiscated. Asia hates people who buy and ship "desginer" clothes (even if they're real brand, "a bag of designer clothes" doesn't seem too believable). You should just bring it as luggagge. Narita has a passport check right after the luggagge pickup, but I can't remember seeing anyone having to open their bags there. Although last time I was there (2-3 weeks ago) they actually had drug sniffing dogs running around smelling people and their luggagge.

Either way, if you've been in HK for 5 months it would've been pretty natural to shop for clothes. Not sure about 4 bags though.. Good luck. lol

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
H0CX28i.jpg

Shush.

Gromph

This tag is currently undergoing scheduled maintenance...
Staff Member
Hm, are those 4G warnings only? I got nothing this time.

Japan must be mad about Evil leaving. www

I didn't had the notifications either, but i think is because ios8.

Gromph

Staff Member
12:28 JST 16 Sep 2014 Ibaraki-ken Nambu M5.6

Ayumi

Here's a fun fact:

I'm scared to death of earthquakes and usually end up crying/shaking and feeling extremely dizzy, even at the smallest ones.

( ´;д;` )

Gromph

Staff Member
Here's a fun fact:

I'm scared to death of earthquakes and usually end up crying/shaking and feeling extremely dizzy, even at the smallest ones.

( ´;д;` )

/hugs Ayumi

Hey JapanGAF, I have a favor to ask of anyone willing, though honestly, I'm not expecting anything.

I've been studying Japanese since I started high school -- Smash Melee had a Japanese language option, and I decided I absolutely HAD to learn whatever moonspeak that shit was, because it looked awesome. As I started learning the language, we of course learned more about the culture, history, et all, and eventually I had come to the decision that I wanted to live in Japan. Unfortunately, a high school Japanese class is enough to learn some Japanese, and having been to Japan I found I could do alright, but not nearly well enough to satisfy myself.
So then I go off to college and choose Japanese as my major! Sweet, here we go, I'll finally get enough Japanese instruction. I'll be able to speak at least grade school level Japanese after that, right?

Wrong. I'm finding more and more that I need to straight up speak about -anything and everything- on a very regular basis to be able to actually cement any of this into my brain. This is the single most frustrating part of my life. Can't draw? Whoopdiedoo. Not actually *skilled* at games? No problem, it's whatever. Can't speak Japanese well? ゆるせない。

So what I'd like to ask, is if, by chance, anyone would like to Skype/Hangouts/whatever with me on a regular basis (I'd REALLY like daily, but I know that is asking WAY too much) so that I can speak EXCLUSIVELY Japanese. I expect I'll be pretty damn terrible at it for a while, but ultimately that's why I'm asking this. If multiple people wouldn't mind talking with me, that'd be perfect! But I need to use this language to learn it. At this point it's starting to need more than just refresher, and I hate this more than anything.

tl;dr: 手伝ってください

Aizo

Banned
I was walking down the hallway between my room and the laundry room when that earthquake happened, and the doors were shaking behind me. I thought, "Did I very suddenly become extremely fat?"

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Sigh, strong earthquakes sure aren't fun when you're on the 13th floor. :|
We were shaking for quite long before the building calmed down.

Gromph

Staff Member
I was walking down the hallway between my room and the laundry room when that earthquake happened, and the doors were shaking behind me. I thought, "Did I very suddenly become extremely fat?"

And fast too, to make the door shake when you were in hallway :D

Sigh, strong earthquakes sure aren't fun when you're on the 13th floor. :|
We were shaking for quite long before the building calmed down.

I'm in a 1F in a not very reliable one.

I saw people running outside.

JulianImp

I only noticed my room was shaking, got off the bed, and the movement was over a few seconds later. I guess I'm really happy that the first earthquake I've experienced happened to be relatively mild in my area. Then I talked with one of the guys I share the house with for a while to get my mind off of it.

Now I'm back to working on my game demo for TGS, so I guess I won't be able to get to the meet-up before the other stuff I have to do later in the evening.

toneroni

Going to Japan after Xmas and staying about a week. What are some good options to celebrate NYE?

First time going there! I've always dreamed of going since I was a kid seeing the cool stuff in EGM and diehard game fan etc.

I'll ask millions of other questions as the date nears! :x

I've being working late the whole weekend and even with a morning redbull I'm half asleep at the office so I may have to pass this one (especially since the TGS is the day after tomorrow and I need to be in good shape for it)

Ayumi

I'm on 3G and got one. I also use yurekuru call which is a neat little app that lets you set what shindo level you want to be notified about.
Yeah, that one hasn't worked for me at all.

/hugs Ayumi
ヾ:)3ノシヾ)ノシ

Hey JapanGAF, I have a favor to ask of anyone willing, though honestly, I'm not expecting anything.
What I would suggest, is either getting a Skype teacher (although then you have to pay). You can also do free language exchange over Skype (but that means you have to speak English for an hour). What I suggest, is finding a Japanese community involved with whatever you like (it being a video game, anime or whatever) and encourage them to use voice chatting. VoIP is pretty good for this (with Mumble, you can join random rooms and speak Japanese with strangers).

Going to Japan after Xmas and staying about a week. What are some good options to celebrate NYE?

First time going there! I've always dreamed of going since I was a kid seeing the cool stuff in EGM and diehard game fan etc.

I'll ask millions of other questions as the date nears! :x
I would suggest you use the travel thread instead:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=539079

Someone asked the same as you (NYE) and I'm sure you can find the answer in there if you do a little searching.

Gromph

Staff Member
I'm in the area too, let's meet up!

I'm outside the west exit near 7 eleven
Edit- I'm at the steam engine too.. I've no idea who I should be looking for though!

Are you wearing a black cap?

urfe

Have fun! I'm already half way home.

Would be cool to follow people on Twitter too. There's so many people on GAF it's hard to really feel like you know someone.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
...steam engine train? Dunno where that is. Why no gate # instead?

I'm at the JR shiodome entrance to shimbashi station. I see the Ginza entrance as the other JR option.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.

I've been studying Japanese since I started high school -- Smash Melee had a Japanese language option, and I decided I absolutely HAD to learn whatever moonspeak that shit was, because it looked awesome. As I started learning the language, we of course learned more about the culture, history, et all, and eventually I had come to the decision that I wanted to live in Japan. Unfortunately, a high school Japanese class is enough to learn some Japanese, and having been to Japan I found I could do alright, but not nearly well enough to satisfy myself.
So then I go off to college and choose Japanese as my major! Sweet, here we go, I'll finally get enough Japanese instruction. I'll be able to speak at least grade school level Japanese after that, right?

Wrong. I'm finding more and more that I need to straight up speak about -anything and everything- on a very regular basis to be able to actually cement any of this into my brain. This is the single most frustrating part of my life. Can't draw? Whoopdiedoo. Not actually *skilled* at games? No problem, it's whatever. Can't speak Japanese well? ゆるせない。

So what I'd like to ask, is if, by chance, anyone would like to Skype/Hangouts/whatever with me on a regular basis (I'd REALLY like daily, but I know that is asking WAY too much) so that I can speak EXCLUSIVELY Japanese. I expect I'll be pretty damn terrible at it for a while, but ultimately that's why I'm asking this. If multiple people wouldn't mind talking with me, that'd be perfect! But I need to use this language to learn it. At this point it's starting to need more than just refresher, and I hate this more than anything.

tl;dr: 手伝ってください

Aren't there websites designed exclusively for this stuff now? I genuinely don't know, never kept up with this stuff, but surely in 2014 finding some sort of internet penpal group thing is not the hardest thing. Or, without a doubt, there are Japanese people willing to charge money for this. I don't see what talking to a bunch of foreigners in Japan will do for you. It's just not the same, no matter how good some people are. Shit, my wife has free time every day.. if you feel like setting up some sort of transaction, go ahead and pm me lol.

Top Bottom