• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japan GAF |OT| I'm not planning a trip; I live here!

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
I'm so glad that I moved closer to my company. Changing an hour long commute by 2 very crowded trains to a 7 minute walk was the best decision I made since coming here. It's much less stressful and I save 2 hours every day. The biggest downside is the rent increase, but I can live with it.

As for looking for apartments, I recommend http://suumo.jp/. Keep in mind, that it's the best to go to a real estate agent once you're here, since many places online are taken in minutes, but the offers are left on websites for a while.

I'm so glad that I moved closer to my company. Changing an hour long commute by 2 very crowded trains to a 7 minute walk was the best decision I made since coming here. It's much less stressful and I save 2 hours every day. The biggest downside is the rent increase, but I can live with it.

As for looking for apartments, I recommend http://suumo.jp/. Keep in mind, that it's the best to go to a real estate agent once you're here, since many places online are taken in minutes, but the offers are left on websites for a while.
On top of that, let the real estate agent show you some apartments and if you like something, contact the company which is in charge for the apartment (or the owner) and seal the deal without the broker. Saves you a lot of money. Most foreigners and even a lot of japanese people don't know that this is actually doable ;).

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
On top of that, let the real estate agent show you some apartments and if you like something, contact the company which is in charge for the apartment (or the owner) and seal the deal without the broker. Saves you a lot of money. Most foreigners and even a lot of japanese people don't know that this is actually doable ;).
I didn't know that. Most apartments I've looked at online mentioned "please do this through the agency X" if I recall correctly.

inafking

I often look in http://www.chintai.net too since they show a lot of results and they search among other real-estate sites.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
hey gromph just replying here to make a note to others as well, i actually have a different soubetsukai on the 9th so i will be out and about somewhere.. we can try to coordinate a drunken sloppy meetup after but i dont have details yet for time/where ill be. ill update when i do. in the near future though ill actually be leaving the tokyo area on sabbatical so i wont be around for a bit. going to head to kansai for a bit and recharge my batteries, sort of a spin off of my early discussion here.

hey gromph just replying here to make a note to others as well, i actually have a different soubetsukai on the 9th so i will be out and about somewhere.. we can try to coordinate a drunken sloppy meetup after but i dont have details yet for time/where ill be. ill update when i do. in the near future though ill actually be leaving the tokyo area on sabbatical so i wont be around for a bit. going to head to kansai for a bit and recharge my batteries, sort of a spin off of my early discussion here.
So watcha gonna do, brother?

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Nothing. Literally. It's pretty normal for people to take sabbaticals in my industry and a lot of people have sort of a burn out when they finally do make partner. Some people make partner and straight up quit lol. I'm not quite there yet, but I'm set financially so I can do whatever I want and I could basically walk into any major firm anywhere in Japan/US/Europe and negotiate an insane salary.. to work my balls off again for no reason lol.

Just going to relax in our Osaka/Shikoku homes, enjoy the seasons, welcome our last baby, and then see what the best fit is for our family lifestyle. I'm gonna play some WoW, some HotS, some basketball, do some rock climbing..and then maybe I'll see if I'm interested in picking up a random hobby like coding or vlogging or maybe trying to run a hostel or b&b.

And then decide if I head back to the same old game. No clue right now honestly.

I'm an expert

Not sure if you're trying to take a dig, surely you realize that's just a characteristic of this forum persona's posting habits.

I'm an expert

No comment.

What was the point of your post? I've lamented many times in this and other threads that money is clearly not everything. Isn't that the politically correct point of view?

Aizo

Banned
I don't think it's a general meetup. Just people expert wants to hang with. I believe he was just posting about it for the benefit of people in here he has told he wants to see.

I'm an expert

myself, charlie, and gromph had a date which I'm not backing out on, just saying that I may be double booked.. i dont give out personal info so it'll just get figured out in the end..

urfe when you moving to okinawa

urfe

myself, charlie, and gromph had a date which I'm not backing out on, just saying that I may be double booked.. i dont give out personal info so it'll just get figured out in the end..

Okinawa on hold. Thinking twice about it and love Tokyo. A lot of things up in the air, but have a stable job so I don't worry as much as I should.

Resilient, I didn't know you were in Tokyo? Is it just the weekend? Next week would honestly work better for me.

Gromph

This tag is currently undergoing scheduled maintenance...
Staff Member

Got you!

PM me a form to contact you on Friday lol :D

I will have lunch tomorrow with DC.

Kurita

I just realized I forgot to enroll for the National Pension Plan... You're supposed to do this within the first two weeks but I've already been here for three.

Uh oh

My university said we had to join it but since we're students we don't have to pay so...
Am I fucked

kubus

Only a week until I go to Japan for a year :eek:

Anyone know for how much used PS3s go around Tokyo? I don't have enough time to finish Yakuza 3, 4 and 5 before I leave so I might pick up a cheap used console over there to play them before Ryu ga Gotoku 6 comes out. I really hate that the PS4 isn't backwards compatible :(

If they're not too expensive I'll leave my console at home and just pick one up in Japan.

KtSlime

Only a week until I go to Japan for a year :eek:

Anyone know for how much used PS3s go around Tokyo? I don't have enough time to finish Yakuza 3, 4 and 5 before I leave so I might pick up a cheap used console over there to play them before Ryu ga Gotoku 6 comes out. I really hate that the PS4 isn't backwards compatible :(

If they're not too expensive I'll leave my console at home and just pick one up in Japan.

They are around ¥20,000, depends on the model and condition.

kubus

They are around ¥20,000, depends on the model and condition.
Thanks! oof, that's a bit more than I was hoping for. Then again I don't know what I expected, lol. I'll just keep my eye out for a good deal when I'm in the area. Any suggestions for good places to look? I only know Book Off but I don't know if they're seen as being more on the expensive side...

KtSlime

Thanks! oof, that's a bit more than I was hoping for. Then again I don't know what I expected, lol. I'll just keep my eye out for a good deal when I'm in the area. Any suggestions for good places to look? I only know Book Off but I don't know if they're seen as being more on the expensive side...
It really depends on what part of Tokyo you are in and how far you are willing to go, but I don't find BOOKOFF to be too different than other places. There's Trader, sofmap, Geo, Mandarake Galaxy, and Tsutaya. Those are the big places, lots of small bookstores sell consoles too.

SKINNER!

Banned
Hi everyone! I've been working as an SAP technical consultant for almost 6 years now (4 of those in one of the big4) and after a few visits to Japan I've been toying with the idea of working there.
Are there any other consultants here who want to share their story? Things such as how did you end up in Japan, how's the usual relationship with clients, how open are they to foreigner consultants, etc Maybe that will help me get a point of reference about where and how to start make it feasible.

I was an SAP Analyst and quit it to be a proper software developer after realising that nobody hires SAP consultants (Far too many old lifers work with SAP) in the western world let alone Japan. Sorry.

hiro4

While it wasn't Tokyo, all the Book Offs I went were very expensive when it came to hardware. Even old consoles. Only Nintendo consoles were cheap. Wii was like 3400 Yen, Orange GameCube with Player was also 3400 Yen (bought that one). But PS2 started from 8000 Yens and PS3 began from 20000.

But since you are staying there, it might be a good idea to look around Yahoo Auctions.

kubus

It really depends on what part of Tokyo you are in and how far you are willing to go, but I don't find BOOKOFF to be too different than other places. There's Trader, sofmap, Geo, Mandarake Galaxy, and Tsutaya. Those are the big places, lots of small bookstores sell consoles too.

While it wasn't Tokyo, all the Book Offs I went were very expensive when it came to hardware. Even old consoles. Only Nintendo consoles were cheap. Wii was like 3400 Yen, Orange GameCube with Player was also 3400 Yen (bought that one). But PS2 started from 8000 Yens and PS3 began from 20000.

But since you are staying there, it might be a good idea to look around Yahoo Auctions.
Thanks for the suggestions. I'm not in a hurry to buy one, so I'll just keep checking places and compare prices everywhere :). Never bought anything from Yahoo Auctions but that might actually be the cheapest option... You probably need a Japanese bank account for that, right? Maybe I can get a Japanese friend to help out.

Probably won't have the money until november so I've got enough time :)

bluethree

It's not impossible to get one under 20,000 though you'll have to shop around a bit. I've seen 15,000 and under, definitely, usually in smaller game stores.

Packing a PS3 really isn't that big of a deal...I packed mine with me when visiting home last year and it turned out fine. (If you have a slim make sure to tape up the cover though). You said you're cash strapped but you could probably get an extra one for cheaper in the States I think, and just pack that with you when you go.

hiro4

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm not in a hurry to buy one, so I'll just keep checking places and compare prices everywhere :). Never bought anything from Yahoo Auctions but that might actually be the cheapest option... You probably need a Japanese bank account for that, right? Maybe I can get a Japanese friend to help out.

Hmmm I never bought something through yahoo auction either so far. But I never had any problems with my credit card at Amazon Japan or any other shop in Japan. I think it will be fine as long as you have a credit card.

kubus

It's not impossible to get one under 20,000 though you'll have to shop around a bit. I've seen 15,000 and under, definitely, usually in smaller game stores.

Packing a PS3 really isn't that big of a deal...I packed mine with me when visiting home last year and it turned out fine. (If you have a slim make sure to tape up the cover though). You said you're cash strapped but you could probably get an extra one for cheaper in the States I think, and just pack that with you when you go.
If I can get one for <15,000 I'll go with that. I considered packing the PS3 but I'm already bringing with me luggage for a full year (so winter + summer clothing, a full suit, different pairs of shoes, study material like books, handhelds etc with a limit of 23 kilogram) and I really can't stuff a big console in there as well. We have a PS3 phat and a slim, but the blu-ray drive of the slim isn't working right now and my boyfriend stays behind in our country and he'd like to have a PS3 there as well :p. So buying a temporary PS3 in Japan is my best option. I'll just trade it in when I'm done with it again.
Hmmm I never bought something through yahoo auction either so far. But I never had any problems with my credit card at Amazon Japan or any other shop in Japan. I think it will be fine as long as you have a credit card.
Completely forgot Amazon Japan sells used consoles as well! Might just grab one from there if a good price pops up. Thanks :D

hiro4

If I can get one for <15,000 I'll go with that. I considered packing the PS3 but I'm already bringing with me luggage for a full year (so winter + summer clothing, a full suit, different pairs of shoes, study material like books, handhelds etc with a limit of 23 kilogram) and I really can't stuff a big console in there as well. We have a PS3 phat and a slim, but the blu-ray drive of the slim isn't working right now and my boyfriend stays behind in our country and he'd like to have a PS3 there as well :p. So buying a temporary PS3 in Japan is my best option. I'll just trade it in when I'm done with it again.

Completely forgot Amazon Japan sells used consoles as well! Might just grab one from there if a good price pops up. Thanks :D

Oh yeah. Completely forgot about Amazon themselves! That makes it already much easier for you.

Don't forget it is always an option to send yourself a package with things like clothes. In my experience sending packages from here is cheaper than from Japan. Boat mail sucks. Still waiting for two packages myself and I've been back for over a month.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?

You will need a Japanese back account anyway to get your scholarship money there and if nothing changed, people from the school will take you all to the post office and help.

I bought a small crt TV for my room when I was in the dorm from Yahoo Auctions.

I was an SAP Analyst and quit it to be a proper software developer after realising that nobody hires SAP consultants (Far too many old lifers work with SAP) in the western world let alone Japan. Sorry.
"nobody hires SAP consultants" - Well, in Europe that surely isn't true I can very much assure you. Also when changing companies, consultants (technical or not) are pretty much evaluated by their number of years of experience and if you were an analyst long enough you know that in SAP development, "years of experience" actually mean something. So it's no wonder all clients and SAP itself prefer "old gurus".
Correct me if I'm wrong, but In my case if I were to quit SAP development at 30 years old and with over 6 years of experience I think the best I could hope for is a junior position as a code monkey...

You say "let alone Japan", do you have any experience you want to share? I have no idea how's the consultancy (SAP or other) market works in Japan.

I'm an expert

Want to know what smart is? Driving to Kansai through a typhoon, and then driving back to Tokyo through a typhoon.

Question for ex-pats:

How in the world does one get through this silly-strict immigration system? I'm trying to work out a transfer with my company into a Japan property, and the Visa system is the most archaic and backwards thing I've seen. "You need to visit our offices in Japan to apply for a work Visa, but before that, you need to acquire a visitor's Visa, etc."

Wow.

urfe

Question for ex-pats:

How in the world does one get through this silly-strict immigration system? I'm trying to work out a transfer with my company into a Japan property, and the Visa system is the most archaic and backwards thing I've seen. "You need to visit our offices in Japan to apply for a work Visa, but before that, you need to acquire a visitor's Visa, etc."

Wow.

I'm pretty sure you apply for your Certificate of Elibigility (&#35469;&#23450;&#26360;) and visa from an embassy. You can do the whole come on a visitors visa, but I immigration at the airport doesn't like that, as you're not technically there to visit.

I'm an expert

Question for ex-pats:

Wow.

you've been misinformed. read up on employment sponsored coe's. getting into japan is no harder than getting into the US.

Darksol

Are there basic &#38936;&#21454;&#26360; forms/slips that I can buy at Daiso or a stationary shop or something, or do I need to make them on my own?

One of my new private students will have her employer covering half the cost, but only with proof of a &#38936;&#21454;&#26360;.

Edit: just texted a friend. He says he's pretty sure I can buy them at the conbini. Anyone back that claim? It's raining and I don't want to go outside and check, haha.

Edit 2: 108 yen at Daiso. God this country is convenient.

SKINNER!

Banned
Correct me if I'm wrong, but In my case if I were to quit SAP development at 30 years old and with over 6 years of experience I think the best I could hope for is a junior position as a code monkey...

Not really if you kept up with the latest tech and learned things other than SAP. 4 years of that mindless crap in a huge US IT corporation got me nowhere and frankly I'm glad to have moved on from it and be in a senior development role (that pays far more) thanks to my higher education in software engineering and hobbies >.>

But hey, good luck with SAP if you're passionate about it.

Zalman

Hi JapanGAF. I'm not sure if you guys can help me here, but I figured I might as well try and ask.

I'm currently doing my graduate degree in business/marketing, and I'm seriously considering going to Japan for a semester next year. I see I have two universities to choose from: Chuo University in Tokyo and Ritsumeikan University in Kyoto. I have tried doing some research on these two, but I can't find as much information as I would like. My first impression is that Ritsumeikan seems more appealing, but I much prefer the location of Chuo since I would like to go to downtown Tokyo fairly often. If any of you guys know anything about these universities and their overall reputation, then I would love to know.

If I do end up at Ritsumeikan, how much would a ticket to Tokyo be from Kyoto? I see it takes about three hours or so which is quite a bit, but I mostly worry about the price. What are the options when it comes to transportation in Japan?

If anyone can give some advise, I thank you in advance. :)

I'm an expert

since your goal for the trip is clearly not the business education (you wouldn't come to japan in the first place if it was) just choose the one that obviously accomplishes your goal - being in tokyo

neither university will mean much in terms of name abroad or in japan

JulianImp

I'll be having a job interview tomorrow, so I was wondering if you guys had any tips for how these things go in Japan. Is there any kind of protocol in particular that I should try to follow? Any words specific to interviews that I should try adding to my vocabulary in order to stand out more?

Here's to hoping I can manage with polite speech patterns, even though I don't think I could actually use full-on keigo due to all the verbs and structures that are unique to it.

Top Bottom