• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japan GAF |OT| I'm not planning a trip; I live here!

Resilient

I have. I was flying back to Japan in early January after spending the new year holiday in Taiwan and Hong Kong. Flew into Fukuoka and already had reserved seats for the Shinkansen back to Hiroshima. The line for non-reserved seats was the longest line I've ever seen in my life. I felt so sorry for those people waiting, but it wasn't much better even with reserved seats.

We did get our seats, but people with non-reserved seats still crowded into our car. The non-reserved people packed themselves into every crevice available, including the bathroom/service areas. Imagine a Shinkansen packed the same way a rush-hour Shinjuku train gets packed. When I got off at Hiroshima, people had to crowd surf our suitcases over their heads in order to get them off the train. It was fucking bananas and I swore I'd never ride the shink again during peak travel. It was easily one of the worst travel experiences I've ever had.

Why did everybody lie to me 😭

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
They refused to sell me that data sim I mentioned. Their rulebook mentions that in order for the sim to work the phone needs a Japanese Technical Mark in the regulatory section of the phone. My US iPhone 5S doesn't have it. As far as I could find in a web search that just means that it won't support LTE here, but regardless they flat out refused to sell me the SIM and suggested I go to Softbank the next counter over, which charges like 2000 yen a day for their nonsense.

Fortunately my multi-country prepaid travel data SIM is working again so whatever. What a hassle though.

Mik2121

They refused to sell me that data sim I mentioned. Their rulebook mentions that in order for the sim to work the phone needs a Japanese Technical Mark in the regulatory section of the phone. My US iPhone 5S doesn't have it. As far as I could find in a web search that just means that it won't support LTE here, but regardless they flat out refused to sell me the SIM and suggested I go to Softbank the next counter over, which charges like 2000 yen a day for their nonsense.

Fortunately my multi-country prepaid travel data SIM is working again so whatever. What a hassle though.

Welcome to Japan! Expect things to be done by the book or else not done at all :p

openrob

Is one day enough time to visit Hiroshima if i'm staying at a hotel in Tokyo?

If you go, definately see Miyajima Island. The Hiroshima museum takes at roughly 2 hours.
Anyway I am back from my trip to Japan and have finally uploaded some pictures. However, for some reason I just didn't take as many as I thought I would tbh. I took a ton load more in China.

8 days in Japan. I satyed in Air B&B's (Defo recommended!) in everywhere but Tokyo (needed some personal space by the end of the trip). But that was mainly down to our hosts (experiences can vary from those who are very willing to interact and those that just let you do your thing) who although were amazing people and took us around their respective cities it was nice to be by ourselves. I was travelling with my wife.

2 Nights Osaka (One day trip to Hiroshima)
2 Nights in Kyoto
4 Nights in Tokyo (Day trip to Hakone for Onsen experience)

Anyway here are the links to my abums:

Osaka and Hiroshiman/Miyajima Island
Kyoto
Tokyo
BONUS TRIP - Yokosuka

15136129045_7ec715cec8_h.jpg

15133187501_3d88558491_h.jpg

14949181009_ed38adb232_h.jpg

15112730366_0cd78549b9_h.jpg

(I also visited China during that time. All in all I visited the entirety of the Shenmue setting. My thoughts can be read here is you so wish )

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock

Welcome to Japan! Expect things to be done by the book or else not done at all :p

Is it not possible to just rent a pocket wifi thing and not use a 3g\LTE line for you phone?

And yeah, welcome to the bureaucracy.

AllenShrz

Updated list:

Who:

• Ayumi
  • Desmond
  • AllenShrz
  • CHusson91
  • Mercurio
  • AlabastreAizo
  • Geobobfrank
  • m3r4
  • BombStrike
  • ElectricKaibutsu + wife
  • Evilore
  • Gromph
  • Jijidasu picture.

Registration will be closed tomorrow (Friday 5/9) 10:00 PM.

Unfortunately I have a previous appointment that Saturday. Count me out guys.

すみません

matt360

Why did everybody lie to me 😭

To be fair, that was the only negative experience I've had riding the Shinkansen, and I've ridden it dozens and dozens of times. Most of the time I get non-reserved seats and can find a seat right away. My experience with the Shinkansen overall is overwhelmingly positive (aside from the ridiculous prices they charge).

But yeah, you'd better do what you can to reserve tix if you're gonna be traveling during peak season. Or at the very least, get to whatever station you're leaving from two hours or so before the first Shinkansen departs.

Ayumi

2 pages ago

00000104.png

In case someone wants the information in English:

Place name:
わらやき屋 赤坂
WaraYakiya Akasaka

Date:
Saturday, September 6th, 19:00 to 21:00

Course:
アラカルト
A la carte

Phone number:
03-3568-1340

Address:
Minato-ku, 3-12-3 Akasaka Continental V

/summons Gromph

Could you include a bit more information? For instance, how much each person needs to bring in cash (I can picture a lot of people just bringing their card, or 1man). I'd also like to know which A la carte you have chosen. And I think there's a 2 hours nomikai included in the menu?

Shirokun

Greetings from the Sea of Japan. Been living in Toyama prefecture for 3+ years and it's great fun. Anyone else live in the Hokuriku area?

I'm super glad this thread exists by the way. Surprised it took so long though.

urfe

Nice there's a Japan GAF now. (Have I already replied in this thread?)

You guys should include what you're doing here ( ≖‿≖)

HR stuff at a uni.

What made you interested in Japan?

Dragon Quest (fan since I was 5 in 1989), but only planned on being here for a year.

Why did you learn the language (for those who are not learning, are you interested?)

To better integrate in society, for job opportunities, to debate things, read news/books, video games, and for in-laws.

Are you currently living in Japan?

Yes

How long have you lived in Japan?

Soon 9 years.

Hey guys,

Jumping in to hopefully connect with some people out in Japan. Going to be out there for 4-8 weeks starting mid October as a test for a move out there.

Most likely staying at my buddies in Koshigaya for the most part.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
Anyone have recommendations for seaside places to visit? Gonna go on a trip with a friend in November I think and not sure where to go. Maybe Hiroshima x Matsuyama or Toba in Mie prefecture or something.

No real requirements I just want to leave Ibaraki for a bit and think somewhere by the water would be nice. Busy or quiet doesn't matter.

matt360

Anyone have recommendations for seaside places to visit? Gonna go on a trip with a friend in November I think and not sure where to go. Maybe Hiroshima x Matsuyama or Toba in Mie prefecture or something.

No real requirements I just want to leave Ibaraki for a bit and think somewhere by the water would be nice. Busy or quiet doesn't matter.

You ever done the Shimanami cycling course? It more or less connects Hiroshima and Matsuyama and is one of the coolest things I've ever done in my life. And it'll be absolutely beautiful in November. Tons of cool places and seaside vistas to enjoy along the way.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
You ever done the Shimanami cycling course? It more or less connects Hiroshima and Matsuyama and is one of the coolest things I've ever done in my life. And it'll be absolutely beautiful in November. Tons of cool places and seaside vistas to enjoy along the way.

Noted~

Mik2121

Is it not possible to just rent a pocket wifi thing and not use a 3g\LTE line for you phone?

And yeah, welcome to the bureaucracy.

Yep. Getting a WiMax or similar would be the best way to go. Though I'm not sure if you need a Japanese credit card for that, but I'd assume not? There was also something else that either I saw here or on another thread, about some wifi device for tourists.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
What an extreme transition from Seoul to Tokyo. Tokyo feels like 1995 compared to Seoul's 2020.

Their rulebook mentions that in order for the sim to work the phone needs a Japanese Technical Mark in the regulatory section of the phone.

The way to get around this is generally lying: "Don't have the phone on me now but it is a JP phone", borrow a phone from a friend etc. you just have to know they are regular employe following the rulebook. Just give them enough so they can claim it.

Better then the customer service I've been dealing with where the regular employee doesn't want to have to do extra work, so they will flat out lie to me.

Mik2121

What an extreme transition from Seoul to Tokyo. Tokyo feels like 1995 compared to Seoul's 2020.

Wait until they ask you to use the FAX to send something to someone! :p

Yeah, in some aspects this country feels incredibly old. However it also has a lot of cool things that you wouldn't get in other places if only because of the density of population.

What things did make you feel like Tokyo is old? Some areas are quite new, though I can see some of the older parts feeling incredibly old indeed. And the machines they use too...

Oare

Funniest reaction is always when I start speaking Japanese that people don't expect it and are very surprised.

I'd argue that assuming a person can or cannot speak a language solely based on their apparent ethnicity does qualify as racism, though.

Their rulebook mentions that in order for the sim to work the phone needs a Japanese Technical Mark in the regulatory section of the phone.

Not just their rulebook. This is actually part of the legislation on telecommunications. With a domestic carrier, it is forbidden to use a phone that doesn't have the technical mark compliance logo.
You can think of the technical mark logo as a sort of Japanese equivalent to the FCC compliance logo in the US.

I grew up in the 80's and 90's, and back then, most of my hobbies more or less came from Japan. So I'd always been curious.

Why did you learn the language (for those who are not learning, are you interested?)?
Because I wanted to be fully autonomous.
Also, I didn't like the idea of being essentially illiterate.

Yes.

Over 13 years. I currently live in Naha, Okinawa.

What is your favorite Hotto Motto meal?
None. I rarely go.

What is your favorite place in Japan?
I don't have a favorite place. The places I've grown emotionally attached to are the ones where I've lived, so if I had to pick just one, I'd say my former district of Kita-ku in Tokyo, because I have a lot of great memories there.

What is your favorite Japanese food & drink?
Same as above. I don't have a favorite food. There are too many I like, and I wouldn't give up any for any other.
As for drinks, beer would be my choice. I love sake, but it gives me colossal headaches.
Shochu, I'm not very fond of - and it also gives me horrible headaches.
The lowest in my book are Happoshu and all other tax-avoiding beer derivatives.

What is your favorite season to be in Japan?
Summer.

Where are you from, and which languages do you speak? (conversational and above)
France, and French, English, Japanese.

What should we call you if we ever met you IRL?
By my first name.

urfe

Nice, I really want to move to Okinawa. I got to a final interview for a uni admin job there, but sadly didn't get it.

Nice to see there's work to be found there.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Are the typhoons as terrifying as they look on pictures?
The company where I work has a branch office in Okinawa and when people there posted pictures of how the streets looked during the biggest typhoon this summer I've decided that I'm never going to move there.

Could you include a bit more information? For instance, how much each person needs to bring in cash (I can picture a lot of people just bringing their card, or 1man). I'd also like to know which A la carte you have chosen. And I think there's a 2 hours nomikai included in the menu?

Good point! I would like to know this as well.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock

Funny you should mention that, cause thaaaaaaats about when the bubble burst and the money stopped flowing. Tokyo is like a city built on top of a city built on top of a city thats currently having another city being built on top of it in time for the Olympics. You'll find crazy new shit in Roppongi but walk 15 minutes to Shinjuku and see buildings that would never pass inspection in the states. I guess it's part of the charm really.

That said, i feel you'll find Tokyo has a lot more to offer in the way of pretty much everything else. You're in the food capital of the world now. The best in pretty much every genre is at your fingertips (except mexican). My advice is to have a little Japanese food of course, but try everything, cause even though you can get it back in the states, it's most likely way better here.

(And if you're a pizza fan go to Da Isa in Nakameguro)

Oare

Nice, I really want to move to Okinawa. I got to a final interview for a uni admin job there, but sadly didn't get it.

Nice to see there's work to be found there.

Well, I'm actually a freelance translator, so my situation's a bit different.
As a matter of fact, most of the non-asian foreigners I've met here run their own businesses (aside from the US military, of course).

Although I'm sure there is work to be found for any bilingual individual, provided they accept the fact that their pay's not going to be anywhere near what it could be in Tokyo.

Are the typhoons as terrifying as they look on pictures?
The company where I work has a branch office in Okinawa and when people there posted pictures of how the streets looked during the biggest typhoon this summer I've decided that I'm never going to move there.

It depends on where you live, I guess.
In Naha, things are typically milder than in less densely populated areas.
The winds can be impressive, but aside from snapped trees, I haven't seen any kind of extensive damage in 4 years of typhoons here.
Having all the tiles cemented together on roofs probably helps. Also, my anecdotal experience seems to say that people tend to keep less junk on their balconies.

However, even in the midst of the fiercest typhoon, you'll always hear a bunch of idiots competing for a Darwin Award on their motorcycles.

Jabo

Wait what Evilore is in Japan and there's a gaf meet up?!?!!? I'd love to crash this party but only if I can get Evilore drunk hard (unless he doesn't drink?). I'm so fucking happy!

Until what time is it? I need to attend a bday party at around 11 pm sadly in Urawa sooooo I dunno...

Mik2121

Well, I'm actually a freelance translator, so my situation's a bit different.
As a matter of fact, most of the non-asian foreigners I've met here run their own businesses (aside from the US military, of course)..

You're in Naha? I got a couple friends living there who created their own company. Perhaps you've heard of them? They do game-related stuff, so if that's the kind of thing you do I'd assume the circle must not be very big in Naha. They're one American and one Japanese guy, both came from Tokyo about half a year ago I think.

hitsugi

always assumed it was - no reason for it not to be

I didn't state there was - although wasn't "FFDOG" a team and not an individual?

Either way, that series is somewhat of a legend for my friends and I, whom have tried to "FFDOG" our way through several FF titles with disastrous results. Since then, any time we figure we'll never actually finish something, we say we're going to "FFDOG" it.

If you go, definately see Miyajima Island. The Hiroshima museum takes at roughly 2 hours.
Anyway I am back from my trip to Japan and have finally uploaded some pictures. However, for some reason I just didn't take as many as I thought I would tbh. I took a ton load more in China.

8 days in Japan. I satyed in Air B&B's (Defo recommended!) in everywhere but Tokyo (needed some personal space by the end of the trip). But that was mainly down to our hosts (experiences can vary from those who are very willing to interact and those that just let you do your thing) who although were amazing people and took us around their respective cities it was nice to be by ourselves. I was travelling with my wife.

2 Nights Osaka (One day trip to Hiroshima)
2 Nights in Kyoto
4 Nights in Tokyo (Day trip to Hakone for Onsen experience)

Anyway here are the links to my abums:

Great photos. I wish my wife and I had made it out to Miyajima when we went last year.

Ayumi

Wait what Evilore is in Japan and there's a gaf meet up?!?!!? I'd love to crash this party but only if I can get Evilore drunk hard (unless he doesn't drink?). I'm so fucking happy!

Until what time is it? I need to attend a bday party at around 11 pm sadly in Urawa sooooo I dunno...

There's a meeting on Saturday from 19:00 to 21:00, so you will totally make it!

Check this post for info:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=128405960&postcount=408

Also:

4000 Yen per person (not sure yet), which includes 2 hours of all-you-can-drink (drinks from a specific menu). Please make sure you guys have 4000 or cash, or as close as you get (5000) to make it easy to pay everything together.

Edit:
Good point! I would like to know this as well.

Quoting so you can see above!

Aizo

Banned
Ayumi is a really great junior.
To the top of the list, then :D
Ooh. Let me know what you think of it. I've never heard of it. I really want it, now...

I usually just eat Shakey's pizza (not particularly great, but all you can eat in the afternoon for cheap + curry and pasta) or Pizza Hut (it is quite different here, and the Bulgogi pizza haunts my dreams—I want it in and around my mouth with both hands right now). What I'm telling you is that you should eat weird, Japanese pizza; corn, potatoes, and mayo are common toppings here.

aparisi2274

I have a question about using N'EX when I get to Narita....

I am heading to Japan in about 10 days and I was planning on taking the Limo Bus right to my hotel in Shibuya, but was curious about the N'EX.

So, I know I have to go to the N'EX center in terminal 1 and get my ticket and reserve a seat and all that, but does the N'EX always stop in Shibuya? Or do I need to catch a certain train? And if so, does it only run at certain times?

I am just trying to decide if I will get to Shibuya quicker with the Limo Bus that leaves on the hour every hour... or take a N'EX and hope I do not miss a Shibuya bound train...

Thanks

Sakura

I'll only be here for a year but can I pretend to be a cool expatriate too?

You guys should include what you're doing here (for work or whatever)( ≖‿≖)
Working at a konbini ( ≖‿≖)
Hmm well, I've liked anime and Japanese games and stuff since I was a kid, but I never actually cared about coming to Japan, until I got into an idol.
Why did you learn the language (for those who are not learning, are you interested?)?
To play Japanese games I guess.
Yes.
3 and a half months.
What is your favorite Hotto Motto meal?
Never been, never plan to go.
What is your favorite place in Japan?
Hmm Fukuoka I guess. Coincidentally it is also the only place I've been.
What is your favorite Japanese food & drink?
I really like the spicy chicken over at Mini Stop.
What is your favorite season to be in Japan?
So far I've only been here for Summer. I'm pretty confident, however, in saying my favourite season will not be Summer.

So, I know I have to go to the N'EX center in terminal 1 and get my ticket and reserve a seat and all that, but does the N'EX always stop in Shibuya? Or do I need to catch a certain train? And if so, does it only run at certain times?

You need to catch certain trains, but there's at least 1 train an hour bound for Shibuya, usually 2.

It runs from 7:44 in the morning to 21:44.

And as always, Japan travel OT might be better for these kind of questions:
http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=539079&page=100000

Ayumi

Japan GAF OT: I'm not planning a trip, I live here!
Just a few suggestions, including a little self-irony (because it's fun!):

"To Japan and never back" (F.O.O.L anyone?)
"Just moved to Japan. When do I become Japanese?"
"How do I get a Japanese girlfriend?"
"Is Pepsi OK?" (You'll get this if you're a fan of cola)

Zoe

urfe

Also:

4000 Yen per person (not sure yet), which includes 2 hours of all-you-can-drink (drinks from a specific menu). Please make sure you guys have 4000 or cash, or as close as you get (5000) to make it easy to pay everything together.

Edit:

Ah damn, I would've loved to come, but going to a beach camp festival.

Next time!

Desmond

Also:

Edit:

Looks like another pricey night. Lol

Met up with some friends from Waseda last night. 4000 yen Nomihoudai in Shinjuku. Then we all thought it would be a good idea to head to an Irish Pub, where if you want a pint of Guinness, be prepared to pay 1000 yen. (泣)

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
Somebody should find something else to put in the OP of this thread as well, instead of the travel advice.

OT | Bring Gifts for ponpo

I'll only be here for a year but can I pretend to be a cool expatriate too?

You guys should include what you're doing here (for work or whatever)( ≖‿≖)
Working at a konbini ( ≖‿≖)

Hookup with a discount pls ( ≖‿≖)

Top Bottom