• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

(Japan GAFfers) Want to buy a new TV for gaming...prices in Japan?

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Okay, so I'm thinking that this weekend I would like to go to my local Yamada Denki to buy a new TV. The TV that was left for me in my apartment really sucks (13 inches, mono sound, composite-only input, no remote, etc.), and so I'd like to get something I can use for gaming and watching DVDs on.

I don't know the first thing about prices here; I'm looking for something in the 13-15 inch size range; flatscreen is preffered with component input...480p or higher would also be nice. Any suggestions? Any good sites to look at to compare prices? The Yamada Denki site didn't seem to be any help.

In the summer I was looking at prices of HDTV plasmas and DLP's compared to that in America, and I was kinda disappointed. I was expecting much cheaper prices, but the prices were very comparable to those back in USA.

Why such a small tv? Even if your apartment is really small I would think you have room for at least a 19".

Lyte Edge

:lol Mewthree

omgimaninja said:
Why such a small tv? Even if your apartment is really small I would think you have room for at least a 19".

Price, mainly. If a 19" doesn't cost that much more, I'm sure that would be fine. I was able to get a 24" Samsung TV two years ago that has 480p and component video for $500; if I can get something better than that (like an LCD) in the 13"-15" size range for a similar price, that would be great.

Brofist

check kakaku.com

You can get a 17" LCD with DVI, component etc.. for about $350-400, and shipping is dirt cheap.

Lyte Edge

kpop100 said:
check kakaku.com

You can get a 17" LCD with DVI, component etc.. for about $350-400, and shipping is dirt cheap.

Wow, that would be completely within my price range and totally awesome! :) Would you happen to know if Yamada Denki would have similarly-priced LCD TVs?

Brofist

Lyte Edge said:
Wow, that would be completely within my price range and totally awesome! :) Would you happen to know if Yamada Denki would have similarly-priced LCD TVs?

The regular chains are gonna be a little more expensive..probably 5000-10,000 yen more. If one is convienient to your location though check it out, it wouldn't hurt.

Did a quick search..Link

Lyte Edge

kpop100 said:
The regular chains are gonna be a little more expensive..probably 5000-10,000 yen more. If one is convienient though check it out, it wouldn't hurt.

Yeah, there's a Yamada Denki right down the road from me, so I figure if I can get someone to go with me, I could just buy the TV there and then take it back to my place in a cab and have him/her help me set it up.

Brofist

Lyte Edge said:
Yeah, there's a Yamada Denki right down the road from me, so I figure if I can get someone to go with me, I could just buy the TV there and then take it back to my place in a cab and have him/her help me set it up.

Yeah if it's convienient go for it.

Lyte Edge

kpop100 said:
actually I looked the one I linked doesn't have component.

How does one ask if a TV has component video in Japanese? Would they know "480p"?

Brofist

Lyte Edge said:
How does one ask if a TV has component video in Japanese? Would they know "480p"?

Yeah they'd know what you were talking about. Plus you should be able to actually check the units and they'll have info on them too. You should be ok.

Lyte Edge

kpop100 said:
Yeah they'd know what you were talking about. Plus you should be able to actually check the units and they'll have info on them too. You should be ok.

Thanks for the help. :) Sounds pretty easy, then. I'm probably going to go there tonight with a friend of mine and see what they have. $500 or less is my target price.

Bebpo

Banned
If you want something with component you're gonna end up paying a good sum of cash. Like $700+ probably.

I looked around for a tv with component and 480p when I first got there a year ago and decided that it wasn't worth spending over $500 if you're not 100% sure you'll be staying around for a few years, so I went with a 25" CRT w/s-video for about $300-400.

You should really really think about if you're going to be staying for the full 3 years before you spend over 1k on a tv. From my experience it's really tough to sell the set before you leave unless you want to dump it on another JET for like $150 or less.

Lyte Edge

Bebpo said:
If you want something with component you're gonna end up paying a good sum of cash. Like $700+ probably.

I looked around for a tv with component and 480p when I first got there a year ago and decided that it wasn't worth spending over $500 if you're not 100% sure you'll be staying around for a few years, so I went with a 25" CRT w/s-video for about $300-400.

You should really really think about if you're going to be staying for the full 3 years before you spend over 1k on a tv. From my experience it's really tough to sell the set before you leave unless you want to dump it on another JET for like $150 or less.

Yeah, I've been thinking about that, so I'm just going to go with s-video if it's too expensive. But I do think that a small sized TV will suit me just fine, so if there's a 13" with component, I'll just go with that. I plan on staying here for the full three years if everything works out well.

BTW did you ever join any JET forums, Bebpo? I posted this same topic on my prefecture forum and got blasted by some asshole for it because all I do is "whine about my broken leg." I made one thread about that and can't figure out what his deal is. I thought JETs were supposed to be friendlier than that. :)

Bebpo

Banned
Lyte Edge said:
Yeah, I've been thinking about that, so I'm just going to go with s-video if it's too expensive. But I do think that a small sized TV will suit me just fine, so if there's a 13" with component, I'll just go with that. I plan on staying here for the full three years if everything works out well.

BTW did you ever join any JET forums, Bebpo? I posted this same topic on my prefecture forum and got blasted by some asshole for it because all I do is "whine about my broken leg." I made one thread about that and can't figure out what his deal is. I thought JETs were supposed to be friendlier than that. :)

Yeah, I was part of the Aomori yahoo groups list and I sometimes posted at Bigdaikon.com. Most of the people were ummmmmmmmmm, not nice and not mean. Basically if I asked a question someone would quietly get back to me after a day or two. But for the most part it was just party announcements for the ken. Bigdaikon is full of idiots though so beware. I mainly just posted over there when I had general JET questions.

Btw, you broke your leg? Did it happen since you landed in Japan?

Lyte Edge

Bebpo said:
Yeah, I was part of the Aomori yahoo groups list and I sometimes posted at Bigdaikon.com. Most of the people were ummmmmmmmmm, not nice and not mean. Basically if I asked a question someone would quietly get back to me after a day or two. But for the most part it was just party announcements for the ken. Bigdaikon is full of idiots though so beware. I mainly just posted over there when I had general JET questions.

Btw, you broke your leg? Did it happen since you landed in Japan?

Yeah, I broke my leg about a week and a half ago...motor scooter accident.

I used to post on Big Daikon but stopped after I got here and found out that the Jtalk forums had one for my prefecture. Sounds just like that Yahoo list. They don't seem to like "newbie questions." Guess maybe they forgot how it was for them when they first got here. Although it is just one guy that seemed to have some problem with it.

tetsuoxb

480p in Japan is actually called 525p (dont ask).

Progressive scan in Japanese is called simply Progressive. If a TV is progressive scan but NOT Digital HiVision, then it is a proscan 525p TV.

The IODATA is a computer monitor, and Yamada probably will _not_ be selling it.

BTW: Alot of Japanese TVs/DVD players will use DTerm connections for proscan. Proscan 480p is called a D2 connection I think(sorry, forgot)... D3 is 1080i. D4 is 720p. They all use the same cable, but that is another way to ask about 480p

Lyte Edge

tetsuoxb said:
480p in Japan is actually called 525p (dont ask).

Progressive scan in Japanese is called simply Progressive. If a TV is progressive scan but NOT Digital HiVision, then it is a proscan 525p TV.

The IODATA is a computer monitor, and Yamada probably will _not_ be selling it.

BTW: Alot of Japanese TVs/DVD players will use DTerm connections for proscan. Proscan 480p is called a D2 connection I think(sorry, forgot)... D3 is 1080i. D4 is 720p. They all use the same cable, but that is another way to ask about 480p

Thanks. :)

MrSingh

lyte, get the 24" dell LCD monitor. (about 100,000 yen shipped to your doorstep)

- 1920 x 1200 res (16:10 aspect ratio)
- DSUB, DVI, Component, Svideo, Composite inputs
- Picture in picture
- Split screen mode
- Portrait mode (hey.. great for vertical schmups)

I got one of these 6 months ago, I might have to get another. :D

Yeah, I broke my leg about a week and a half ago...motor scooter accident.

I guess you won't be doing any kickboxing training in the next couple of weeks huh?

Lyte Edge

YellowAce said:
lyte, get the 24" dell LCD monitor. (about 100,000 yen shipped to your doorstep)

- 1920 x 1200 res (16:10 aspect ratio)
- DSUB, DVI, Component, Svideo, Composite inputs
- Picture in picture
- Split screen mode
- Portrait mode (hey.. great for vertical schmups)

I got one of these 6 months ago, I might have to get another. :D

Too expensive for me. :)

I guess you won't be doing any kickboxing training in the next couple of weeks huh?

I figured I'd take up just boxing instead. Armchair boxing.

Top Bottom