• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japan ranks their favorite Nintendo-franchises

Ratrat

It's huge enough that it's still getting support in Japan when the last game was released 6 years ago, and the one before that, EIGHTEEN years ago. Many arcades still feature UFO catchers with Mr. Saturn toys, a set of collectable mini-figurines were made available sometime from late 2010 to early 2011. Coca-Cola recently did a promotion where if you buy a coke from a machine, you get a Mother 2 character keychain with it. Mother 1+2 was put on GBA, and the oft-forgotten GBA Micro had a Mother 3 faceplate.

If a company is promoting a franchise five to six years after the latest release, that's because it's still popular. Not because they're trying to make sales on the game.
You don't need to be huge to be something in a UFO catcher. As far as game franchises go, mother is anything but huge. It's more of a cult classic type series.

Riposte

I find it amusing Metroid didn't rank with females while it did with males.

Donkey Kong being that highly ranked probably has to do with the legacy of the arcade game more than anything else. For that reason, all things considered, there is no other reason why Zelda should be thought as more popular than Pokemon.

It's about lists now? Then I'll post mine too:

1. Legend of Zelda
2. Super Mario
3. Metroid
4. Smash Bros
5. Paper Mario
6. Pikmin
7. Donkey Kong
8. Mario Kart
9. Pokémon
10. Star Fox

Sorry, F-Zero. And Fire Emblem. And Punch-Out. And Wario Land. And Kid Icarus. And... god, so many great franchises...

Every single DKC game including DK64 and Returns were million sellers in Japan, and Konga did well enough to warrant three games in a short-amount of time there, so I'm not too surprised it's highly ranked. I remember hearing Japan was even obsessed with that hilariously awful french DKC-cartoon, so I guess they've just always been obsessed with the character despite a good half or so of his franchise is made and geared towards the west.

and yes returns was that good

I remember hearing Japan was obsessed with that hilariously awful french DKC-cartoon, so I guess they've just always been obsessed with the character despite a good half or so of his franchise is made and geared towards the west.

Hey, I have fond memories of that shitty cartoon, the opening theme should be in the next SSB game.

Yka

Famicom Wars :(

Best handheld gaming series ever...

advance_wars_art_1_zpsae5560a7.jpg

...why no love for it? :(

PJX

No surprise there that crappy Mario made the top of the list. Nintendo has way better franchises than that garbage.

Based on the sales, Smash must be a huge hit among the genderless.
Linkhero1 said:
Didn't they re-release Pikmin and Pikmin 2 for Wii in Japan?
Yep. Didn't do bad for New Play Control games; sold about 1/3 as well as the originals.

PokéKong

Holy crap, I thought StarFox 64 3D had SOME impact on things. I guess Miyamoto's threat of it being the last SF game in things don't go well is in effect...

redcrayon

Mine would be-

Zelda
Fire Emblem
Mario Kart
Metroid
Advance Wars
Super Mario
Star Fox
Kid Icarus
Pikmin
Donkey Kong

I was a bit old for Pokemon when it came out so the whole craze swept me by, keep hearing good things about it though. If smash bros had come out in Europe on the N64 I probably would have got into that too.

Madao

PokéKong;42417038 said:
Holy crap, I thought StarFox 64 3D had SOME impact on things. I guess Miyamoto's threat of it being the last SF game in things don't go well is in effect...

at least we got the remaster of the best game in the series before it is killed for good.

can't say the same about F-Zero. i still want my F-Zero X + Expansion Kit 3D remaster on 3DS.

Qurupeke

Lists? Okay then...

i) The Legend of Zelda
ii) Metroid
iii) Pokemon
iv) Super Smash Bros.
v) Paper Mario
vi) Super Mario
vii) Donkey Kong
viii) Wario Land
ix) Kirby
x) Mario Kart

Kurtofan

Every single DKC game including DK64 and Returns were million sellers in Japan, and Konga did well enough to warrant three games in a short-amount of time there, so I'm not too surprised it's highly ranked. I remember hearing Japan was even obsessed with that hilariously awful french DKC-cartoon, so I guess they've just always been obsessed with the character despite a good half or so of his franchise is made and geared towards the west.

Hey that cartoon was awesome!I still have the theme in my head.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PuJnNnEyeMM

DK's the best.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Where is Wario is the real question.
Sad times. Unless they decided to count Wario as a Mario game even though DK is separate.

Wow. You learn something new every day. Clearly my local WHSmiths was a bit lacking in variety, I was at college and not reading games mags or anything back then!
Well buying games as Smiths was probably your big mistake there.

I didn't say I never enjoyed it, just that it was hilariously awful.

I admittedly have no clue how else you'd do a DKC cartoon, but the fact that the visuals look significantly worse than the games made several years before the show is a tad odd.

Good to see F-Zero is still (vaguely) remembered there.

And to think that there are people that don't want K.Rool and his apparently groovy dancing in Smash, evidently they never grew up watching this, damn does DK's singing voice crack me up, it's like the most unsuitable voice they could've chosen.

Kurtofan

I didn't say I never enjoyed it, just that it was hilariously awful.

I admittedly have no clue how else you'd do a DKC cartoon, but the fact that the visuals look significantly worse than the games made several years before the show is a tad odd.

Good to see F-Zero is still (vaguely) remembered there.

I don't know, the visuals give it a lot of charm.

Why are people saying that is bad apperaing in the last parts of the 10 list? Theres more than 10 franchises in nintendo, you cant even see some appearing in men and not women and vice versa.

So yeah, seeing Metroid and F-Zero in the list makes me happy.

But im crying at no starfox. The same for other amazing ones like wario, Advance Wars, Punch-Out!!...

Remember kids, Nintendo doesnt kill franchises, they let them rest.

Interesting how well Zelda does with men; its not exactly their best selling franchise.

Playing Skyward Sword atm I can't help but feel there was an opportunity to make Zelda playable (link basically runs around doing fuck all atm).

Wiseblade

I can't really criticise either list, they're both full of respectable choices all round. It'd probably be hard for someone to make one that isn't. As for my own personal list:

Pokémon
Super Mario (Although not the "New Super Mario Bros." line of games)
Fire Emblem
Metroid
Legend of Zelda
Smash Bros.
Kirby
Pikmin
Star Fox
Mother/Earthbound

@MUWANdo

Banned
What surprises me most is that Fire Emblem is on the womens' list, but Mother isn't. I'm guessing that it's because the male fans are generally nerdier and more likely to acknowledge a relatively stagnant franchise, but what do I know...

why won't nintendo ever do another earthbound game?

Shigesato Itoi doesn't want to, so it aint gonna happen.

bernardobri

Steve, the dog with no powers that we let hang out with us all for some reason
why won't nintendo ever do another earthbound game?

Shigesato Itoi (a japanese author/celebrity) is the creator/main planner of the series (I think he owns part of the franchise, too), and he's been quoted that he's pretty much done with the series, so...

Top Bottom