• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rate the Nintendo Direct

What would you rate this Nintendo Direct?

• Total voters

lachesis

3 Stars, as I learned a few games that I'm interested.
No Metroid Prime 4 news is the worst part. Not even sure if we'll even get it - or maybe it will be the cross platform launch title for Switch 2 at this rate.

Astral Dog

Same franchises and *characters*, I was controlling Peach back on the NES.
tbf, there is a big onslaught of Mario games "now"but Nintendo has been somewhat quiet on that front since Super Mario Odyssey, i been waiting for a brand new 2D Mario bros for 10 years+ 😬 since i liked the nsmb games we used to get them more frequently, and Super Mario Wonder looks fantastic 👌

plus the movie hype, and yes that princess Peach game looks fun, fans have been asking for more Mario RPG for years as well

But its not like modern Nintendo doesn't offer anything new or other characters ip, its just that they are not for everyone and some gamers are compulsive complainers and don't actually buy them

This gen Nintendo just delivered Fire Emblem Engage, Bayonetta 3, Bayonetta Origins, Splatoon 3,Astral Chain,Xenoblade 3, Metroid Dread,Kirby and the Forgotten Land, SMT V(started an exclusive) to name a few 👌all fantastic games worth playing that aren't Mario

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I agree in principle... but you're not going to get that on Switch, right? Surely it will look much better on other platforms.

It's a good trailer to have in your show and all, but that isn't a Switch purchase. At least that's how I rate these things -- exclusives are what matter most, anything else is weighted much differently since I'll be playing it on a more powerful console.
I dont care about exclusivity in theses shows, what I care about is surprising me with exciting games, this was also the case with Metaphor in Xbox show.

In this thread we are rating the show itself...not systems.

BlackTron

Exactly as predicted, ports/remakes to hold for Switch 2, but didn't expect them to have TTYD, I mean they haven't even given us SMRPG yet. After so long, now they are literally just spamming Mario RPGs to tide for Switch 2. Obviously TTYD is the second punch in 2024 for the final stretch to Switch 2, just letting us know now to say something...anything lol.

Third party also surprised, thanks Vanillaware/Atlus. Overall this was the best thing because it was an actually new game. I still have a GC copy of TTYD, remaster is cool and convenient but not mind-blowing. And I'll play Wargroove one more time, easier on the eyes than Advance Wars remake that's for sure. I rated a 3.

Chastten

Banned
Obviously there was nothing that would make anyone go out and buy a Switch for, but there was a lot of good stuff for people who already own a Switch. I was ready to give this a solid 7/10 but Thousand Year Door made it an 8/10.

Highlights for me:

Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door
SaGa Emerald Beyond
Contra: Operation Galuga
Unicorn Overlord
Another Code Recollection
And obviously Princess Peach Showtime

Solid list of titles to say the Switch farewell with, even if half of them won't be exclusives

Labadal

A mixed bag, but I can't give it a bad score because of

Unicorn Overlord
SaGa: Emerald Beyond
Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door

It was solid 3/5.

Last edited:

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
I didn’t watch the direct - just popping in threads and checking videos,

Starfield threads are fucking with me, because at a glance I keep thinking a Starfox got announced.

On a side note Contra Galuga looks nice too!

Highlights -

1 - Mario vs Donkey Kong Remake Announced
2 - Princess Peach Showtime Announced
3 - Splatoon 3 - Side Order DLC Trailer
4 - Super Paper Mario Thousand Year Door Remake Announced
5 - Luigi's Mansion 2 HD Announced
6 - Unicorn Overlord (Next Vanillaware Game) Announced
7 - Tomb Raider 1-3 Trilogy Remaster Announced
8 - Mario Kart 8 Final DLC Showcased Announced
9 - F Zero 99 Shadow Dropped
10 - Contra Operation Galuga Announced
11 - Another Code Recollection Announced

For me Tomb Raider, Vanillaware Game, Luigi's Mansion 2, Mario vs Donkey Kong and Paper Mario were quite good so 4/5

I see myself playing F-Zero 99 for sure, everything else is just kinda meh! I have a feeling they are holding back the good stuff for the Switch's successor, which hopefully they will announce something sooner than later! Being that these games are mostly launching between now and March 2024 I have a feeling they are going to announce the new system close to the opening of their Nintendo Museum.

Woopah

I expected mediocrity and that's what I got. But at least this time the system is going out with a steady stream of games instead of droughts.

marjo

It was pretty bad. I've made peace with Nintendo regurgitating IPs, but now they've resorted to just regurgitating games. It was almost entirely remakes.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
An easy 8. Solid remasters (Tomb fucking Raider and best Luigi’s Mansion too), farming games kept to the minimum, Vanillaware, rhythm games, shitting gold eggs in Wario Ware, and possibly the most fun thing Nintendo could have done with F-Zero considering they’ve said time and time again they don’t understand why people want a new one. If people hate fun, they can keep hating.

bender

What time is it?
owned-dunk-contest.gif

Mario RPG
Unicorn Overlord
Luigi's Mansion 2
F-Zero 99
WarioWare
Thousand Year Door

Considering the system is winding down, there are an impressive number of games I'm interested in.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
I’m biased because the whole direct was spoiled for me beforehand. But it was a solid 5/10. Nothing crazy, but it wasn’t horrible. Dead center average imo.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Some interesting stuff. Trace Memory coming back is cool. Mario RPG still looks great. Thousand Year Door was a great game, so cool to see a remake there. I love me some Mario vs. Donkey Kong, so that'll be great.

So basically, I'm excited for a bunch of stuff I already played, but yeah... I already played all of it. The reliance on old games is becoming suffocating.

Also, F-Zero 99 is a complete dud for me. If you're going to do something with F-Zero, focus on GX and don't make it some Nintendo Online junk.

Underwhelming, but that's clearly because Switch is at the end of its life cycle, which is exciting.

They've been working on the next 3D Mario for 6 years now, can't wait to see them unveil that after the holidays. Also no WW HD or Prime 4 make me think those will be Switch 2 launch window games.

UnNamed

Banned
Terrible. Most of the games are pixel-style indie games or remasters from DS , WII and Gamecube.

Where are Batman and Harry Potter supposedly to be released in October and November?

Last edited:

EruditeHobo

I dont care about exclusivity in theses shows, what I care about is surprising me with exciting games, this was also the case with Metaphor in Xbox show.

In this thread we are rating the show itself...not systems.

I see.

I don't think about it that way. I think about it as "this is what the Switch represents in terms of games/value over the next 6-9 months". So anything multiplatform, even if it's an exciting title to me personally, that is weighted much differently than an exclusive. Because anything I can get on PC or PS5 is overwhelmingly going to look and play better, so it's as much a credit to Sony as it is to Nintendo. In fact, it's more a credit/benefit to Sony. And same goes for a Sony showcase or state of play or whatever... anything multiplat, I don't really factor in as credit to "Sony".

I love Vanillaware, I buy everything they make. But that trailer could have been in literally anyone's product showcase. No reason it should credit Nintendo specifically, for me.

Last edited:

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Also amusing: The Japanese stream got an announcement for stuff like Shiren the Wanderer 6. We get some League of Legends spin-off bullshit. Different audiences and all that, but would've been nice to have more announcements outside of the bottom of the 3rd party barrel.

Mostly the usual kids shit, not for me at all.
Wargroove 2 was cool though, liked the first one quite a bit, too bad it looks very samey though.

Ah and the new Suikoden sequel (by 505), but that was already known, so no points for that.

tr1p1ex

how we grading it? Surprise announcements? Breeziness? amount of games announced?

Judging by the list of games in the 2nd post, it was as expected. A surprise remake/remaster was a given.

edit: ok watching it finally. warioware was shown. It isn't on the list after the OP. And the F-Zero thing looks fun to play.

. a couple nice surprises like Fzero and TTYD. Quite a few games. Yeah a lot of remakes/dlc stuff. I am a sucker for remakes/remasters. I like the refreshed graphics mixed with old school gameplay.

good direct. I voted 5/5 before watching lol. I think it lives up to that. UNless your 5/5 requires a really big surprise. 4/5 otherwise.

Last edited:

Neff

Mostly lame

Also

Contra has got farms in it. There's fucking FARMS in CONTRA.

22m462.jpg

Nothing is safe from the Switch farm curse

ADiTAR

ידע זה כוח
2 stars, it was kinda a rehash of the June Direct. Almost identical titles.

I think Switch 2 is coming first half of 2024.

bender

What time is it?
Mostly lame

Also

Contra has got farms in it. There's fucking FARMS in CONTRA.

22m462.jpg

Nothing is safe from the Switch farm curse

WayForward's quality continues to be all over the place. The art looks so bad.

mcjmetroid

It was pretty much what I expected.

The switch has been out nearly 7 years guys. This is very good output for a 7 year old console. Nintendo consoles don't normally last time that long and usually at the end of their console run we're in Mario sports territory. This is much better than it's ever been.

This is an 8/10 direct for a fading console

blacktout

Where are Batman and Harry Potter supposedly to be released in October and November?

Wait, yeah, where the hell was Hogwarts Legacy? Maybe it's getting delayed or even pushed to the Switch 2. There have always been a lot of questions about how they were going to get it running on Switch. If they can't get it out in time for this holiday season, they might as well just hold it for its successor.

As far as Batman is concerned, it already has a release date, right? Probably nothing more to say. Nintendo didn't really have the sizzle reel of already announced third party titles this time, so there wasn't really anywhere to shove a reminder that it was coming out with no new information.

AngelMuffin

You are in for a treat for 1000 Year Door. I played it when it was current, phenomenal game.
I’ve always heard that but just never got around to it I guess. Really excited for it. Also, never really played Super Mario RPG other than for like 20 minutes so I think I’m in for a pretty good time all around.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
It certainly felt like a below average one to me, all the games that where shown I have already played back before they stuck HD on the end.

And the ones I haven't just did not interest me.
It's was a shame really.

El Muerto

So many RPGs. Saga Emerald Beyond, Super Mario RPG, Eiyuden Chronicle, Wartales, and Unicorn Overload. Ngl I might play Trombone Hero too.

Kagoshima_Luke

Gold Member
I was interested in almost every game they showed so based on that I’d give it a four out of five. I’m not giving it a five out of five because there wasn’t a huge earth shattering announcement.

Muffdraul

I'm afraid I'm having my first senior moment. I thought there was:

Luigi's Mansion 1 - Gamecube
Luigi's Mansion Dark Moon - 3DS
Lugi's Mansion 3 - Switch

I thought Dark Moon was essentially LM2, and the remaster already announced for Switch a while ago.

So was there another entirely different game called LM2 and I just completely brain farted it out my memory banks?

Last edited:
Top Bottom