• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

- Japan Time! The Official Phantom Hourglass (JP) Thread

ant1532

Banned
tnw said:
I just went and played this again on my lunch break

I got through the first dungeon, etc.

I'm really digging the pen control. You can just tap on an enemy, and link will attack it. I can see a lot of DS games copying this control at least for overhead view games.

You can also sit there spiraling your pen like crazy, but link will only do a couple spin attacks before getting dizzy :D
Can you attack and run at the same time? How do items work? Like four swords?

So you live in Hong Kong huh.

Greenpanda said:
might want to edit that link, impressions of ROMs/pirated games are against the TOS :|

The IGN impressions are from a store demo, not the ROM.

tnw said:
You can also sit there spiraling your pen like crazy, but link will only do a couple spin attacks before getting dizzy :D

I caused that! My claim to fame there! No more quick-spinning bosses.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
tnw said:
I just went and played this again on my lunch break

I got through the first dungeon, etc.

I'm really digging the pen control. You can just tap on an enemy, and link will attack it. I can see a lot of DS games copying this control at least for overhead view games.

Yeah I really like the pen controls. Also, from the demo alone I can say pretty easily this is better than TP. The puzzle before getting your sword ALONE is more creative than all of TP.

tnw

Banned
no, just playing the demo at the ds station at the bic camera down the street from my office near tokyo station.

anyway, the demo didn't have any usable items. When you get the sword, it's automatically used. Keys you just walk over to pick up, and tap on whatever door you want to use them on. Last zelda game I played was OOT, sooo can't really make any comparisons except to that,although it does have a LTTP feel to it.

I don't know if you can run and attack at the same time. I didn't figure out a way to though.

You can also skip long cut scenes which is nice, although there are some mandatory text conversations that you can't.

tnw said:
no, just playing the demo at the ds station at the bic camera down the street from my office near tokyo station.

anyway, the demo didn't have any usable items. When you get the sword, it's automatically used. Keys you just walk over to pick up, and tap on whatever door you want to use them on. Last zelda game I played was OOT, sooo can't really make any comparisons except to that,although it does have a LTTP feel to it.

I don't know if you can run and attack at the same time. I didn't figure out a way to though.

You can also skip long cut scenes which is nice, although there are some mandatory text conversations that you can't.

Isn't it true you can only equip 1 item at a time? And that you have to slide your stylus (drag it) while running to do a roll?

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
TSA doesn't have the game? God Damn!

My copy should be at home when I get there woooo.

rareside

Anyone got this yet? I'm wondering if I should stop on my way home to check it out or just wait til Friday. Hmmmmmm....

tnw

Banned
I didn't figure out how to roll actually. I was mostly focused on beating the time clock and get through as fast as i could to see as much as I could. It took me about 8 tries to go through fast enough to beat the first cave.

ant1532

Banned
VOOK said:
TSA doesn't have the game? God Damn!

My copy should be at home when I get there woooo.
rareside said:
Anyone got this yet? I'm wondering if I should stop on my way home to check it out or just wait til Friday. Hmmmmmm....
It hasn't come out yet. They are talking about the demo at DS stations in Japan...

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
tnw said:
I didn't figure out how to roll actually. I was mostly focused on beating the time clock and get through as fast as i could to see as much as I could. It took me about 8 tries to go through fast enough to beat the first cave.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XeNBBk-iTqc

At about 2 minutes in the guy does a few rolls, looks like you have to tap and move the stylus a bit (while moving).

Let's be clear...

The three letters I am talking about don't start with R and end in OM. They start with N and end in DA. It's not the organization that begins with G and ends with AF that I am afraid of here, it's the one that begins with N and ends in OA.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
Linkzg said:
just judging on the demo, is the game really text heavy? if so, is it Kanji free?

You can tap the kanji and it will display furigana, it's actually really cool.

tnw

Banned
Linkzg said:
just judging on the demo, is the game really text heavy? if so, is it Kanji free?

As I posted earlier, there is a great feature with the touch pen that will display the furigana of the kanji displayed. Probably great for non-japanese people who aren't too confident in their japanese (assuming you can read kana and have a decent vocabulary or a dictionary, but at least you can look it up)

Let's be clear...

The three letters I am talking about don't start with R and end in OM. They start with N and end in DA. It's not the organization that begins with G and ends with AF that I am afraid of here, it's the one that begins with N and ends in OA.

sex cauldron?

sp0rsk said:
You can tap the kanji and it will display furigana, it's actually really cool.
tnw said:
As I posted earlier, there is a great feature with the touch pen that will display the furigana of the kanji displayed. Probably great for non-japanese people who aren't too confident in their japanese (assuming you can read kana and have a decent vocabulary or a dictionary, but at least you can look it up)

thats cool, I bet 20 hours of playing this game would be me translating things on my computer, its just harder to translate from Kanji.

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
TSA said:
Let's be clear...

:lol

Oh well then thats ok ;)

Brofist

TSA said:
Let's be clear...

:lol yeah you better watch out, they are gonna start suing people for talking about the game

.dmc

Banned
Can we assume that it's wifi related? I can't imagine that the 'triforce carrying' minigame is the only online aspect, or that it would be some kind of mooglemail thing.

You guys will know what I am talking about...this is not one of those things where I say "Oh, I know an exclusive" and I can point to any one thing that happens and say "OH, I CALLED THAT" when I was all ambiguous.

This is something that without a doubt you will know what it is. I promise.

nofi

TSA said:
You guys will know what I am talking about...this is not one of those things where I say "Oh, I know an exclusive" and I can point to any one thing that happens and say "OH, I CALLED THAT" when I was all ambiguous.

What letter does it begin with? Is it story based, or gameplay?

TSA said:

so, are you saying Midna is in the game? OMG!!! and you travel to the twilight realm in it!?!?

tnw

Banned
TSA said:

Pegasus boots?

Is it pegasus boots?!

please say it's pegasus boots.

nofi

TSA said:
I really can't say anything more, and I don't have to. Patience my young GAF friends...patience...

I don't get this - further up the page you were asking about swords and how to switch items, yet now you've got some uber secret...?

If it's
blowing on the mic
or
a map 4 times bigger than we think it is
then you can get all that from reading the impressions from the pirate kids on GameFAQs.

(spoilers relate to story exposition)

rdellw

;D My one shipped, but i chose cheapo shipping so i'll probably get it in five days or so. >_> Am guessing TSAs secret is online related too. :p

Maybe it's the story link (no pun intended) between Ocarina and Wind Waker, or perhaps with TP and the WW. Or...holy shit...the link between any Zelda game and Link's Awakening!!!!

rdellw said:
;D My one shipped, but i chose cheapo shipping so i'll probably get it in five days or so. >_> Am guessing TSAs secret is online related too. :p

Shipped here, too.

Says 1-4 days on UPS. The UPS regional center is right by me here in my town in CA. If somebody sent something 3 day, it arrives in 2 because it bypasses a step in the procees (no regional-district, just regional-my home). So I am hoping that is the fastest possible method...so hopefully by Saturday I have this.

ant1532

Banned
Damn it!! I hope Yesasia ships mine soon!! T_T

I chose fastest shippin thouhg so It won't arrive later then Monday.

AniHawk

TSA said:

Is it Batman?

TSA said:

Holy shit, I know what it is guys. Two words:

Ass Plans

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
The impressions are sounding great. I assume that our fears of bland dungeon design did not come to fruition? Are the dungeons actually interesting? How about the overworld?

enishi

Finally bought this tonight, and spent an hour on it:
zelda_ph.jpg

Not a regular Zelda fans (played TP in halfway, a little bit OOT and LTTP, have not played WW yet), I am impressed with the presentation of PH. The graphic is somehow excellent on DS. It is clean and smooth. The cutscenes until now are great.

You have to use stylus for every control in this game, except you can use the arrow key as shortcuts to switch between the map and item screen (there is left-hand option to use ABXY instead). Controlling Link is simple but 1 or 2 actions are a bit weird, e.g. you need to circle at the edge of touchscreen to roll. I cannot get Link rolling everytime I want.

I have not played much but I think it requires players know some Japanese. Someone with very little Japanese skill like me may have some difficulties in solving puzzles... But I love the variations of puzzles so far.

It is Zelda. Unless you hate stylus control to death, it is a must buy :)

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
TSA said:

Female Link.

Top Bottom