• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

- Japan Time! The Official Phantom Hourglass (JP) Thread

Sule

TSA said:
_ a_ __e__e____ _______ _________ a_ __ __i_ _e__. (A letter revealed everday...)

TSA said:
ph_map.jpg

Speculation time...

For the people who only read the last page here are some of the clues(?).

Or is Reggie one of those last page readers?

ant1532

Banned
I'm pretty sure the megaton doesn't have to do with Phantom Hourglass. The NDA he is under or whatever doesn't let go till E3. He'll tell us 12:01 am the day of the conference for sure though.

TSA said:
You guys will know what I am talking about...this is not one of those things where I say "Oh, I know an exclusive" and I can point to any one thing that happens and say "OH, I CALLED THAT" when I was all ambiguous.

This is something that without a doubt you will know what it is. I promise.

Sorry, im late to the party, but what´s with the Megaton-talk in here?
TSA, you know something about Zelda Wii?
Im confused, sorry.

Looks fantastic, can't wait for some deeper impressions from our Japanese contingent. Tempted to import but I know I'd be kicking myself if I did.

It'll be really interesting to see if this revives the franchise in Japan, not to the extent of Mario but this could pull new people into Zelda for the first time. It could also go the way of the other handheld Zeldas, difficult to see.

TSA said:
Let's be clear...

The three letters I am talking about don't start with R and end in OM. They start with N and end in DA. It's not the organization that begins with G and ends with AF that I am afraid of here, it's the one that begins with N and ends in OA.

WTF are you saying ?!???

TSA said:
I really can't say anything more, and I don't have to. Patience my young GAF friends...patience...

But is it about Phantom Hourglass, right ?

It cannot be something about the next Zelda, simply because it is too early. Maybe even EAD ifself hasn't decided anything concrete about the next Zelda....

ant1532

Banned
Mithos Yggdrasill said:
WTF are you saying ?!???
He's keeping it secretive because he's under an NDA. So he's sayin he's not trying to hide what he's talking about because it's a ROM or something. He's not scared of GAF's ToS since he's not talking about a ROM but he's not gunna say anything because he's under an NDA under NoA.

:lol at all the acronyms.
Mithos Yggdrasill said:
But is it about Phantom Hourglass, right ?

It cannot be something about the next Zelda, simply because it is too early. Maybe even EAD itself hasn't decided anything concrete about the next Zelda....
Maybe it is. He said he can say what he knows at 12:01 am the day of Nintendo's Press Conference (Wednesday, July 11th)

I just said what I said to ensure the GAF admins knew I was not takling about ROMs or owning a ROM or that's how I might be playing Phantom Hourglass right now. Some people were telling me to be careful and I just wanted to clarify I am not talking about ROMs or anything of that nature. In all honesty, my best advice is to stop guessing and just be patient.

EBCubs03

Banned
TSA said:
I just said what I said to ensure the GAF admins knew I was not takling about ROMs or owning a ROM or that's how I might be playing Phantom Hourglass right now. Some people were telling me to be careful and I just wanted to clarify I am not talking about ROMs or anything of that nature. In all honesty, my best advice is to stop guessing and just be patient.

You shouldn't have even brought it up. I think GAF has a rule against saying you know something when you can't share it.

Aurora

I'm really impressed with the controls. Despite being entirely touch screen, it's very easy to pick up and perfectly responsive. There was never a time I'd try and do one particular action and another would be peformed instead.

I would still have liked to see some option of using button controls though, but that's just the old school player in me.

The graphics are unbelievable too. I'm certain they can never be improved on the DS, but don't quote me on that.

ant1532

Banned
EBCubs03 said:
You shouldn't have even brought it up. I think GAF has a rule against saying you know something when you can't share it.
Well how about we just drop it now? I mean are you tryin to get him banned.

Yeah, so yesasia still hasn't shipped mine yet :( I'm thinking they are gunna wait till the 23rd. Thank god I got the fastest shipping.
Aurora said:
I'm really impressed with the controls. Despite being entirely touch screen, it's very easy to pick up and perfectly responsive. There was never a time I'd try and do one particular action and another would be peformed instead.

I would still have liked to see some option of using button controls though, but that's just the old school player in me.

The graphics are unbelievable too. I'm certain they can never be improved on the DS, but don't quote me on that.
Have you found a way to attack while running?

I hate these things: if TSA know something, say that there is something to know and add that he cannot reveal it is the worst thing ever. It is only a way to hype the world and I'm sure that at the end we'll be only disappointed.

Jun 21, 2007 21:26:00 HK CHEK LAP KOK DEPARTURE SCAN
Jun 21, 2007 21:15:00 HK CHEK LAP KOK DEPARTURE SCAN
Jun 21, 2007 19:42:00 HK CHEK LAP KOK HUB SCAN
Jun 21, 2007 18:40:00 HK KWAI CHUNG PICKUP SCAN
Jun 21, 2007 06:27:00 US ONTARIO IN TRANSIT TO
Jun 21, 2007 04:09:41 HK BILLING INFORMATION RECEIVED

Okay...I had to deal with Japan Time...now this is Hong Kong Time...somebody translate that into PDT ;)

Aurora

ant1532 said:
Well how about we just drop it now? I mean are you tryin to get him banned.

Yeah, so yesasia still hasn't shipped mine yet :( I'm thinking they are gunna wait till the 23rd. Thank god I got the fastest shipping.

Have you found a way to attack while running?
You can't. :( As soon as you slash the sword Link stops running to perform the action.

I love the spin attacks though, you just circle around Link with the stylus and you can do up to 4 in a row before getting dizzy.

As for rolling, it does seem pretty hit and miss with me. I know you definitely have to scratch on the edges of the touchscreen otherwise Link will slash his sword instead, but it doesn't seem to initiate a roll everytime. Perhaps there's a correct way of scratching that I'm missing?

Kai

Meant to send a PM haha... TSA check your PM's please.

This game is looking awesome. Any ideas on how long it is supposed to be?

Can you not point far away from link and "double tap" the screen to roll? That would have made the most sense...

Edit: BTW, since nobody is checking the other thread, Tingle RPG got a European release date of September 14th, 2007.

Aurora

TSA said:
Can you not point far away from link and "double tap" the screen to roll?
Nope, you can't. I've sorted it out though: you basically bring the stylus to the edge of the screen (Link will run in that direction), then you just flick the stylus back and forth once, reaching the edge again, and Link will roll.

Rolling four times in a row will also make Link dizzy - no speedrun confirmed! :p

ant1532

Banned
Aurora said:
Nope, you can't. I've sorted it out though: you basically bring the stylus to the edge of the screen (Link will run in that direction), then you just flick the stylus back and forth once, reaching the edge again, and Link will roll.

Rolling four times in a row will also make Link dizzy - no speedrun confirmed! :p
:lol thats so ****ing awesome! Can't wait!

Yeah right, I'll destroy the mechanics eventually. This lame excuse of getting dizzy? [sarcasm]I guess that means this Zelda game takes place at the END of the timeline because all other Links don't get dizzy with this crap, except TWW Link because if you did the Hurricane Spin, he'd get dizzy.[/sarcasm]

I actually wonder if quick spins, though, will help? Seriously, they dont' ALWAYS help. In fact, if anything, they should be looking to other issues if they want to seriously thwart speedrunners.

Can we play WiFi against people on US Nintendo DS systems with the Japanese version? I actually haven't tried this yet, and I don't see why not unless the network in North America hasn't been setup yet for it maybe?

If it's all good, we need to get some multiplayer going soon.

ant1532

Banned
TSA said:
Can we play WiFi against people on US Nintendo DS systems with the Japanese version? I actually haven't tried this yet, and I don't see why not unless the network in North America hasn't been setup yet for it maybe?

If it's all good, we need to get some multiplayer going soon.
Judging by other games, yes. Three shouldn't be any reason not to, I mean the internet is the internet

ant1532

Banned
Btw, Mejilan, I always wondered this since i can remember you, did you make that avatar yourself? Definitely one of my favorite avatars here at GAF hands down.

TSA said:
You guys will know what I am talking about...this is not one of those things where I say "Oh, I know an exclusive" and I can point to any one thing that happens and say "OH, I CALLED THAT" when I was all ambiguous.

This is something that without a doubt you will know what it is. I promise.

Hey I've played this game before!

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
ant1532 said:
Btw, Mejilan, I always wondered this since i can remember you, did you make that avatar yourself? Definitely one of my favorite avatars here at GAF hands down.

I own this particular toy (and others), but actually a buddy of mine made it for me. Props to 'Ryu' (NeoGAF) aka 'Bloodwall' (PS3/X360)!

enishi

From the menu, there are Japan-only and Worldwide WFC modes. I think it allows WFC among Japan, US and PAL versions.

I love the way they use DS on the puzzles:
touchscreen, mic, dual screen, even clam shell
Maybe some people may not like these "gimmick" but I think they match the game well.

Bo130

Phantom Hourglass went from 0 connections (not unique) on the WFC-service on tuesday to 1,399 connections wednesday. Pretty good, when the official release isn't before saturday.

In comparison Itadaki Street got released yesterday, and I'm having the number of connections for that real soon, but for now it went from 493 connections tuesday to 2,603 connections wednesday :)

nofi

Code:
_ a_ __e__e____ _______ _________ a_ __ __i_ _e__.

That first word can only be 'I' though. Unless it's a number.

The second is most likely 'am', and the third, could be 'preferring' but is probably 'pretending'...

I'm thinking I'll wait until my JP copy comes, hopefully today.

Eldios

Well let me start off by saying it is 4:14 am as I am starting to write this. I played a marathon session of Wind Waker today and finished it so I could start Phantom. I wanted the WW story fresh in my head before I started this game. Anyway, I have only put about 20-30 minutes into the game but I got some initial impressions for you guys.

Graphics: Completely top notch. I am extremely surprised on how fluid the animations of Link and the other characters are, as well as certain details when you enter the buildings. This is easily the best looking DS game to date. When you start the game, you are treated to a nice little opening story which basically recaps what happened in WW. I do not want to spoil how the WW story is presented, but it is very neat and cute. Graphics are really top notch. You can really see where the extra time Nintendo spent went.

Sound: Sound is superb. This was quite a shock to me. Music is top notch, an sound effect are crisp and accurate. One neat little feature is when you take notes on the map and erase them, if you touch the eraser on the left side of the screen, it plays out of the left speaker, and if you touch the right side of the screen, it plays from the right. I was using headphones, so this was a cool little touch.

Controls: This is the big one. I am pleased to say the controls on this game are intuitive and dare I say ingenious. Trust me when I say there is virtually no learning curve at all. The stylus works beautifully, and controlling Link is not a hassle at all. The movements feel very similar to Diablo II, but have a more crisp feel to it. You really feel like you have tight control over Link.

To make Link walk, you touch the stylus close to Link in the direction you want him to go. To make him walk faster or run, you touch the stylus farther from Link in the direction you want to go.

Fighting is also simple. You tap an enemy, and Link swing at it. you can also make a quick dragging motion with the stylus and Link will make a swipe. This is useful for cutting down shrubs. Spin attack is performed by drawing a circle around Link. Not difficult at all. I have only had a chance to use the sword, but will post other impressions when I get to use other items.

Picking up objects is easy as well. You just stand next to an object, tap it once, and Link picks it up. You then tap on the screen again, and Link will throw in that direction. Simple.

Now to the language barrier. To me, the Japanese in the game is fairly easy. I have no trouble reading it and have solved the few puzzles I have encountered thus far without issue. That being said, if you cannot read any Japanese, you might be a bit frustrated, because the clues to the puzzles require a little bit of deductive reasoning to figure out. Nothing fancy, but difficult if you cannot read what the clues are saying. Not to give anything away, but you will get stuck in the first 10 min of the actual game if you do not know how to say "Palmtree" in Japanese. It is little stuff like that which is what I am talking about.

Although I am just scratching the surface, but I am pleased to say that this is one super solid Zelda title. Hands down this will win handheld game of the year, and I would not be surprised if this is a major game of the year candidate as well. I know that this maybe be a bit premature to say having played so little, but it is just that good.

Eldios said:
I have no trouble reading it and have solved the few puzzles I have encountered thus far without issue. That being said, if you cannot read any Japanese, you might be a bit frustrated, because the clues to the puzzles require a little bit of deductive reasoning to figure out. Nothing fancy, but difficult if you cannot read what the clues are saying. Not to give anything away, but you will get stuck in the first 10 min of the actual game if you do not know how to say "Palmtree" in Japanese. It is little stuff like that which is what I am talking about. .

It's also worth mentioning that if you are a beginning/intermediate student of Japanese, you will be happy to know that if you tap on any kanji you will get its reading. This is useful if you don't remember kanji for words such as 幽霊船 or 神殿 off the top of your head.

However, there is a lot of slang so that may negate any benefits of the kanji readings.

Regarding TSA's hint -- I hope this helps...

Here's some possible words that make up his 'hint'. I've bolded the ones I personally think likely or possible.

FIRST WORD: I

SECOND WORD: Am

THIRD WORD: cheapening, frequently, needlessly, obediently, overseeing, overweight :lol, premiering, previewing, reentering, sheltering, sweetening

FOURTH WORD: ???????

FIFTH WORD: ?????????

SIXTH WORD: Ad, Am, An, As, At

EIGHTH WORD: akin, amid, asia, axis , bail, bait, blip, boil, brim, brit, blip, coin, crib, drip, edit, emit, epic, evil, exit, fail, fair, flip, foil, gain, glib, grid, grim, grin, grip, grit, hail, hair, heil, heir, ilia, iris, jail, join, laid, lair, loin, mail, main, noir, ohio, omit, paid, pain, pair, rail, rain, ruin, said, sail, ship, shit, skin, skip, skit, slim, spin, suit, swim, tail, this, void, wait, xiii, xvii, xxii, xxiv

NINTH WORD beer, best, beta, dead, deal, deep, demo, dewy, fear, geek, gems, hell, help, here, hero, jerk, jest, jeux, keys, lead, leaf, leak, left, leon, less, meat, menu, mess, near, neat, nerd, news, next, peek, peep, real, rest, seal, sept, sexy, team, tech, test, text, weds, week, well, went, year, yeti, zeal, zero

Lee N

Membre
so:

"I am previewing something something this week"

maybe?

edit: tingles rupeeland? Dunno.. a bit far fetched, but it fits.

Lee N

Membre
Kafel said:
Phantom Hourglass

Why would NOA care ?

but you gotta remember that he was planning to reveal another letter each day.. so and he's getting phantom hourglass any day now, so he can preview it asap. It's released, it's fair game.

But it seems I forgot a few words..

_ a_ __e__e____ _______ _________ a_ __ __i_ _e__.

I am previewing _______ _________ at E3 this week.

How many days are there left until E3? Does it match the number of letters left?

nofi

Kafel said:
Phantom Hourglass

Why would NOA care ?

If it's anything to do with PH then I can't understand why there's an NDA - the game is out in HK (with my copy on it's way) and it's out in JP tomorrow.

There's nothing he can say that we don't already know
im in ur clamshell
so all the hype is surely going to amount to the usual GAFATON sum.

Third word can't be 'previewing' - unless he can't spell.

Edit - I sound like a arse there, sorry.

Why didn't I think of Phantom Hourglass? :lol

I was just compiling a list of words that might fit each as well. Got these so far...

fourth word: Metroid, asterix, olympic, fishing, crystal, forever, pokemon, project, sadness, samurai,

Fifth word: batallion, afterlife, aftermath, agreement, allegedly, amazingly, amusingly, animation, announced, answers, answering, arachnoid, asteroids,
awakening, awesomely, bandicoot, barbarian, beginning, biohazard, blockaded, christmas, childhood, confirmed, corrupted, diffusion,

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
radioheadrule83 said:
Why didn't I think of Phantom Hourglass? :lol

I was just compiling a list of words that might fit each as well. Got these so far...

fourth word: Metroid, asterix, olympic, fishing, crystal, forever, pokemon, project, sadness, samurai,

Fifth word: batallion, afterlife, aftermath, agreement, allegedly, amazingly, amusingly, animation, announced, answers, answering, arachnoid, asteroids,
awakening, awesomely, bandicoot, barbarian, beginning, biohazard, blockaded, christmas, childhood, confirmed, corrupted, diffusion,

So he's previewing Metroid Childhood? Sweet!

Top Bottom