• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japan Travel |OT| One does simply not visit just once

So I suspected. Are there any notable places where the JR Pass is unusable
(I imagine Hakone would be one? And I think I read here that in Kyoto buses would be the goto method)

JR pass pretty much won't cover anything that doesn't say JR on it. It won't cover Hakone once you get off at Odawara station. For Kyoto, you might use the JR rail once or twice to get to a sight easily (such as Fushimi Inari Shrine), but other than that, the busses are the way to go. You'll probably have mixed uses in Osaka depending on where to go and if I remember correctly, taking the bus in the Nara park area back to the JR Nara station was free.

Interestingly enough, any place that doesn't take the JR pass pretty much has their own day passes they sell. Hakone has their own 2 or 3 day pass called the Hakone Free Pass for 3,900¥ or 4,400¥. You can get different day passes for the Kyoto busses and there's also an 1 or 2 day Osaka Unlimited Pass that gets you free rides on trains and busses, free admission into tourist spots and also discounts for certain places.

I ate and ate and ate and I dropped 8 pounds on my trip. Walking and temple stairs.

Almost the same here, though I probably only lost 1 - 2 pounds at most. There pretty much wasn't a time during my 2 weeks there that I didn't have some sort of food on me or in my backpack. Every night when we got back to the hotel we would unload our backpacks and notice we had even more food.

hwalker84

I believe there is a bus and train that will take you right there from Tokyo: http://www.fujiq.jp/en/access/

People that goes to Japan to play nothing but video games and look out for anime will stay thin. People that goes out exploring Japan will get fat. I got fat every time I went to Japan on holiday but I loved every minute of it. Now I live in Japan and I still can't help eating so much yum yum and visit other places. However, I have to admit that Japan are stupidly behind in movie releases (save more on this when I make a rant video) and the people are cold and selfish until they acknowledge your existence via friends, talking to them, etc. In comparison to the UK, many British people are much kinder in respect to acknowledgement of your existence but many Japanese are definitely are not until they acknowledge you. You'll see but don't let that stop you from having fun as a tourist!

I ate and ate and ate and I dropped 8 pounds on my trip. Walking and temple stairs.

Trojan X

Banned

Good man!

If you want to feel "extra" surreal in Japan, you got to walk around whilst listening to Nujabes: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gTH7XefE85A

This thread about Nujabes is pretty fantastic and pretty much go hand in hand with this Japan thread: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=760862

Now you got a nice soundtrack to listen to while you are in japan. It's not being sad, it's called enjoying yourself and taking yourself "out" from reality if you are in Japan as a tourist.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
One more question about Hiroshima and itsukushima jinjya

We'll be leaving Tokyo around 10am April 7th, taking the Shinkansen to Hiroshima. We'd like to stay over for one night, doing Hiroshima sights, the shrine and then leaving Hiroshima the next day around 3pm or so (so back in Tokyo around 7pm)

Not sure whether to stay in a hotel in Hiroshima on the 7th (so arrive by train,do the sights and then crash for the night), heading to miyajima the next morning; or do the sightseeing in Hiroshima then travel to miyajima and stay in a hotel near the ferry so we have a faster start the next day. High tide is 7am in April so we'd want to visit the shrine gate in the morning before the tide gets too low.

hwalker84

One more question about Hiroshima and itsukushima jinjya

We'll be leaving Tokyo around 10am April 7th, taking the Shinkansen to Hiroshima. We'd like to stay over for one night, doing Hiroshima sights, the shrine and then leaving Hiroshima the next day around 3pm or so (so back in Tokyo around 7pm)

Not sure whether to stay in a hotel in Hiroshima on the 7th (so arrive by train,do the sights and then crash for the night), heading to miyajima the next morning; or do the sightseeing in Hiroshima then travel to miyajima and stay in a hotel near the ferry so we have a faster start the next day. High tide is 7am in April so we'd want to visit the shrine gate in the morning before the tide gets too low.

Stay in Hiroshima. Miyajima wasn't that far. Just leave really early.

If you don't mind splurging, staying overnight on Miyajima is awesome. It (along with Gion Matsuri) was the highlight of my honeymoon in 2006. We did the peace park/museum early afternoon and then headed out to the island.

Fritz

What is a good exchange rate for Euro to Yen? At the moment it's stuck at 139 yen for the Euro. Around Xmas it was 142! I think I missed out :(

Zoe

What is a good exchange rate for Euro to Yen? At the moment it's stuck at 139 yen for the Euro. Around Xmas it was 142! I think I missed out :(

That's a lot better than when we went two years ago... like 78 yen to the dollar.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I remember the good old days when it was 200 yen to the £. First that was good value, but more importantly it made converting Japanese prices into GBP really easy, just chop off two zeroes and half it :)

scottnak

JR pass pretty much won't cover anything that doesn't say JR on it. It won't cover Hakone once you get off at Odawara station. For Kyoto, you might use the JR rail once or twice to get to a sight easily (such as Fushimi Inari Shrine), but other than that, the busses are the way to go. You'll probably have mixed uses in Osaka depending on where to go and if I remember correctly, taking the bus in the Nara park area back to the JR Nara station was free.

Interestingly enough, any place that doesn't take the JR pass pretty much has their own day passes they sell. Hakone has their own 2 or 3 day pass called the Hakone Free Pass for 3,900¥ or 4,400¥. You can get different day passes for the Kyoto busses and there's also an 1 or 2 day Osaka Unlimited Pass that gets you free rides on trains and busses, free admission into tourist spots and also discounts for certain places.

Woops. Never said thanks for your tips. Definitely appreciated!

Now to the important stuff! Food!
Anyone have any advice for places to go to get some Kobe Beef? :D

SKINNER!

Banned
Thinking about spending 2 days and taking a train from Tokyo to Kyoto & Nara on day one and then go from Kyoto to Hiroshima on the second day and visit the peace memorial before heading back to Tokyo.

Trying to work out the budget at the moment with my travelling buddy. Kinda excited if we manage to pull it off.

Trojan X

Banned
Thinking about spending 2 days and taking a train from Tokyo to Kyoto & Nara on day one and then go from Kyoto to Hiroshima on the second day and visit the peace memorial before heading back to Tokyo.

Trying to work out the budget at the moment with my travelling buddy. Kinda excited if we manage to pull it off.

Why only a few days?

SKINNER!

Banned
Why only a few days?

We're spending 11 nights in Tokyo. I've already solo-travelled to Tokyo before but my travelling buddy hasn't. I get the sense that - for me anyway - 11 days in Tokyo alone might be a bit much and I'll eventually get bored once I visited the places I missed on my first trip (Ginza, Roppongi and few others). Thought maybe we can take 2 days off the trip and visit Kyoto and Hiroshima. Been to Kyoto before but the only reason I want to go to that part of the country is to visit Nara park again...I had such an unforgettable experience there that I'm willing to travel 2+ hours just to see it again. Never been to Hiroshima before.

But I dunno, we'll see how it goes. We'll be visting Kamakura of course and thanks to this thread, we'll be going to the Fuji-Q Highland themepark instead of Disneyland. This year I'll definitely go overboard with trying new foods and experiencing the nightlife.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
We're spending 11 nights in Tokyo. I've already solo-travelled to Tokyo before but my travelling buddy hasn't. I get the sense that - for me anyway - 11 days in Tokyo alone might be a bit much and I'll eventually get bored once I visited the places I missed on my first trip (Ginza, Roppongi and few others). Thought maybe we can take 2 days off the trip and visit Kyoto and Hiroshima. Been to Kyoto before but the only reason I want to go to that part of the country is to visit Nara park again...I had such an unforgettable experience there that I'm willing to travel 2+ hours just to see it again. Never been to Hiroshima before.

But I dunno, we'll see how it goes. We'll be visting Kamakura of course and thanks to this thread, we'll be going to the Fuji-Q Highland themepark instead of Disneyland. This year I'll definitely go overboard with trying new foods and experiencing the nightlife.

if you're doing Hiroshima, have you considered itsukushima jinjya at the same time?

Woops. Never said thanks for your tips. Definitely appreciated!

Now to the important stuff! Food!
Anyone have any advice for places to go to get some Kobe Beef? :D

Not a problem :) For Kobe Steak, try out Gyu-An in Ginza. Soooo good, closed Sundays.

Here's from the first time I went, it just melted in your mouth...I miss kobe steak :(
nSW0rfz.jpg

Wubby

It's amazing how big of a difference this makes, too.

For me:
2007 -- 121 jpy
2013 -- 97 jpy

I can't fathom going in the 78 jpy days.

On the other hand I had a blast going back to the US on vacation in 2010 and getting $1 for only 78 yen! That was the last time I went back though.

leroidys

So I'm about to pull the trigger for two tickets to Tokyo in June/July. I don't need a visa, I think, as I'll be staying there less than 90 days. Any other critical info before I buy? (Yes, I know it will be hot).

Fritz

So I'm about to pull the trigger for two tickets to Tokyo in June/July. I don't need a visa, I think, as I'll be staying there less than 90 days. Any other critical info before I buy? (Yes, I know it will be hot).

Do it, and then come back in here!

Guru-Guru

Banned
My Dad and brother will be visiting me in Japan for Golden Week. Does anybody know how far in advance you can buy baseball tickets? I'm trying to go an Orix Buffaloes game in Osaka (unfortunately Hanshin Tigers are playing away), but have trouble figuring it out on their website.

Edit: Nvm, I think I figured it out!

Double edit: Does anybody else want a community thread for all us expats in Japan? I mentioned it in another thread. Unfortunately I have zero skills to make a cool looking OP...

Fritz

The "hazzle" ordering tickets for the Ghibli Museum is pretty damn stupid for - you know - buying tickets for a museum. I have to buy them from some travel agency by sending an email with my credit card information. They also charge a 9 € administration fee, which is more than the freaking ticket. I really wonder if it's worth to be ripped off.

The "hazzle" ordering tickets for the Ghibli Museum is pretty damn stupid for - you know - buying tickets for a museum. I have to buy them from some travel agency by sending an email with my credit card information. They also charge a 9 € administration fee, which is more than the freaking ticket. I really wonder if it's worth to be ripped off.

It's a cool museum and definitely worth it.

Fritz

I've send JTB an email as indicated by their website. Hope there are still tickets left for the second half of April (pre golden week).

Gromph

This tag is currently undergoing scheduled maintenance...
Staff Member
I've send JTB an email as indicated by their website. Hope there are still tickets left for the second half of April (pre golden week).

Will say again.

I can buy the tickets for you in a Lawson and give you when you come to Tokyo. So you have two choices to know me or be banned for life :)

Just drop me a PM with dates and number or people.

Also I will be out of Japan until March 11th but my friends can take care of it.

Fritz

Will say again.

I can buy the tickets for you in a Lawson and give you when you come to Tokyo. So you have two choices to know me or be banned for life :)

Just drop me a PM with dates and number or people.

Also I will be out of Japan until March 11th but my friends can take care of it.

Thanks for the offer. We'll see what JTB's response is.

Different question: Is there something like the toy store in Tokyo? I'd like to pick up some crazy/neat Japanese toys as souvenirs.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
We want to go to visit the skytree, but of course online reservations require a Japanese credit card :/ ER, maybe it might be popular with tourists? Any way around that? I've checked with a few travel agents but they all seem to be combined with guided tours which we don't need.

Also, any suggestions for affordable hotels in the area between Tokyo station and skytree? We'll be arriving by Shinkansen from Hiroshima on 10th April and want to stay one night so we can do sightseeing more easily the next day (we are staying in inage so it takes a while to get into town otherwise). For four people (2 adults, 2 kids, so two rooms or one larger room). Can it be done at good quality for ¥20,000?

Fritz

Also, any suggestions for affordable hotels in the area between Tokyo station and skytree? We'll be arriving by Shinkansen from Hiroshima on 10th April and want to stay one night so we can do sightseeing more easily the next day (we are staying in inage so it takes a while to get into town otherwise). For four people (2 adults, 2 kids, so two rooms or one larger room). Can it be done at good quality for ¥20,000?

NUI. That's where I am staying. It's a hostel but I think it looks fantastic. I am not 100% sure about the convenience of the location but I believe it is right between Tokyo Station and the Sky Tree area.

Gromph

This tag is currently undergoing scheduled maintenance...
Staff Member
We want to go to visit the skytree, but of course online reservations require a Japanese credit card :/ ER, maybe it might be popular with tourists? Any way around that? I've checked with a few travel agents but they all seem to be combined with guided tours which we don't need.

For the skytree no idea, I always went being in Tokyo.
For the hotel take a look into agoda.com is what I use when I travel around Japan.

Torraz

Didn't need a reservation for the skytree when I was in Japan last december. Might be different during the summer though.

For hotels I had good experiences with agoda.com.

Will probably go again this year, at the latest around december again. Might try to meet some people this time.

Fantastic! Good for you. Heh, I hope the lady that helped you is a single hottie. ;) Heh, best not to think about it but stay in contact with everyone you've met and invite them to come to your side of the pond. You'll be sorted for 2015 if you do that, trust me! Maybe we would hang out if you come over too. We'll see.

Just thought I'd give an update...holy shit, my lost phone arrived at my house today from Seiwa Police Station!

caromelo

Hey guys.

Just thought I'd post the Itinerary I've been working on for my 3 week holiday to Japan!
I had an optional overnight stay in Kinosaki for Onsen hopping but the small group I'm going with have issues with getting butt naked in front of people. Trying to look for another trip to add even more value to the JR Pass.

Here's the link to my itinerary: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AmLv8wsj2cF1dGtxd2tsS2dlcWJQVTI2LWdjY2ZjQUE&usp=sharing

What do you all think? Anyone have any suggestions?

Trojan X

Banned
Just thought I'd give an update...holy shit, my lost phone arrived at my house today from Seiwa Police Station!

Awesome! Case closed for you. Remember all that helped you and please stay in contact with them. You will thank me later again. :)

If you want to be awesome back to them and all those that helped you, look for a japanese mail order website and do a special delivery of flowers or chocolates. That will give you massive bonus points for when you meet those people in Japan again! Happy for you.

scarlet

Making itinerary for 5 days Tokyo and I have no idea what to do.

29 March Asakusa
30 March Shibuya, Shinjuku, Yoyogi park and meiji shrine
31 March going to Mitaka for Ghibli and Odaiba
1 April DisneySea maybe? Or Hakone
2 April I have no idea.

I spent my first 5 nights in Kyoto, then 5 nights in Tokyo and last night in Osaka.

Should I make it 6 nights in Kyoto or 2 nights in Osaka and 4 Nights in Tokyo?

Top Bottom