• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japan WII/PS3/X360 Sales Charts

dr3upmushroom said:
Wow, is Sonic and Nights not popular in Japan? I guess only weird otaku kids love themselves some Sega. Also damn at all the banana riders Crush has.
I'm his personal banana hammock.

Balls must be secure for lackey lickage.

apujanata

RiverBed said:
two questions:
1- why is Bandai and Namco listed separately?
2- why did PSP get a jump in hardware (about double) with no special software releases?

PSP Slim 2000 (end of Nov 07), and red color PSP (mid Dec 07).

So wait, Nintendo has sold more than 50% off all software sold on all 3 next-gen systems combined? In other words: they own more than 50% of the software market?

It shouldn't come as a surprise, but I'm speechless non the less.

I'm still pissed so many good quality software on all three consoles get ignored for crappy games. i hope, once the console market of this generation matures, the situation will become more healthy.

Souldriver said:
So wait, Nintendo has sold more than 50% off all software sold on all 3 next-gen systems combined? In other words: they own more than 50% of the software market?

I'm still pissed so many good quality software on all three consoles get ignored for crappy games. i hope, once the console market of this generation matures, the situation will become more healthy.

Yeah, insane. Here's another insane statistic. Nearly 71% of all the current generation console software sold in Japan belong on Wii.

Souldriver said:

I did the math, and, if Sonic at the olympics was considered third party, everything changes! and nintendo just owns 49.9% of the software market.

Nice job Wii! Your a console that can take a hit and keep on coming! Solid online, great graphics have proved nothing when it comes to innovative controls! Waggle is the future of gaming! I bet you the next Porsche will have waggle. Waggle the keys around to start the car. Waggle your leg around to accelerate. WAGGLE IS THE FUTURE!

Terrell

If what Crushed did is what passes for humor around here... damn, are you guys starved for a laugh. Hold on, I'm sure I've got a kindergarten level knock-knock joke I could tell ya...

And it's really no big shock to see Nintendo dominate software. Aside from having the country's best-selling console, they have ALWAYS been able to market their products to the Japanese. Their marketing over there is almost always well-directed and plentiful. And when it isn't, (see: bored-as-the-day-is-long girl playing Fire Emblem in a commercial) it shows in sales.

RiverBed

Banned
nah, I see the controller having very little to no effect in its success. nobody buys a system for the controls. same goes for DS; it's not the stylus that's selling it.

still wondering how good will Wii sales will keep up. they show no signs of slowing down, AFAIK. I'll be interesting in mid and end of 08 sales to see if there is any difference. I don't care for weekly or even monthly sales per say. I am also very interested in how PS3 does in Japan in 08 as well. it took off everywhere else except for the homeland.

Seeings as the manufacturers make their money on the software does this mean MS have lost less money in Japan with the 360 than Sony have with the PS3?

Pharmacy

Banned
are people finally realising crushed is some 4chan catchphrase unfunny knock-off??????????????? thank-you gaf

also i thought the ps3 tie ratio was highier than that???

I don't get the funny either.

Apart from that Dalthien provides these threads and goes through compiling the data for all the current consoles. It was clear he wanted to get the first posts to break them all apart since he updates these threads.

Oh well. Go along with spamming lols and giving Crushed the attention he desperately tries to attract.

On topic:

Interesting to see that Sony published almost as many titles on PS3 as Nintendo did on Wii. I had the feeling it was far less. Just goes to show how a good deal of the releases were aimed for a western market and those that were aimed at the japanese market mostly failed (Boku No Natsu Yasumi, Folk Lore).

perfectchaos007 said:
I did the math, and, if Sonic at the olympics was considered third party, everything changes! and nintendo just owns 49.9% of the software market.
I might be wrong here, but doesn't Nintendo publish M&S in Japan, making it a 1st(or 2nd) party game?

Aggelos

DeathWasHere said:
Nice job Wii! Your a console that can take a hit and keep on coming! Solid online, great graphics have proved nothing when it comes to innovative controls! FUTURE!

Probably we have a radical tendency on the videogames' market.
Gamers want innovative controls and fun games for all the family. But above everything, they want a "wallet-friendly" system, depsite being hardware-wise significantly inferior to the cutting-edge PS360.
But how long will this tendency last I wonder?....

perfectchaos007 said:
So is it safe to conclude that nintendo is doomed then? I think so.

;)

Truly amazing. But that's partly due to the overall lackluster sales of console games (except for the "WiiSomething" titles). I hope overall sales go up for every platform.

If one year from now the situation is still the same, I think we can safely say japan has become Handheld Nation. But I actually am seeing the first signs of Wii following the footsteps of the DS. Great hardware sales, great first party sales, poor third party sales except for the few game developers that "get it", and next year the bigger developers/publishers will see healthy sales on the platform.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Its kind of funny, I see allot of arguing about how 360 won't get *Insert Japanese Game* because of Japan. Yet Wii seems to have made both irrelevant in terms of hardware and software:lol Heck. PS3 has 3x the Hardware but only 50% more software then 360. While Wii has over 2x more Software then both of them combined:lol

What can you say, Japan loves Wii and no one else. They are a one system type of country:lol Best thing about it for Nintendo is, a good chuck of that is 1st party. So they don't have to worry about losing anything

VonGak!

Banned
shintoki said:
Its kind of funny, I see allot of arguing about how 360 won't get *Insert Japanese Game* because of Japan. Yet Wii seems to have made both irrelevant in terms of hardware and software:lol Heck. PS3 has 3x the Hardware but only 50% more software then 360. While Wii has over 2x more Software then both of them combined:lol

What can you say, Japan loves Wii and no one else. They are a one system type of country:lol Best thing about it for Nintendo is, a good chuck of that is 1st party. So they don't have to worry about losing anything

Flawed logic, just ask your self this simple question; do you buy games that you aren't interested inn playing? Hopefully the answer is a big no.

Why should the Japanese be any different? Currently both the PS3 and 360 game libraries do not cater to the mainstream Japanese audience especially not compared to the Wii.

Only a fool would buy a gameless console, one will obviously wait for the release of ie FFXIII which has proved to be a smart move considering the price drops and in the PS3's case, the addition of rumble.

VonGak! said:
Flawed logic, just ask your self this simple question; do you buy games that you aren't interested inn playing? Hopefully the answer is a big no.

Why should the Japanese be any different? Currently both the PS3 and 360 game libraries do not cater to the mainstream Japanese audience especially not compared to the Wii.

Only a fool would buy a gameless console, one will obviously wait for the release of ie FFXIII which has proved to be a smart move considering the price drops and in the PS3's case, the addition of rumble.
This is a masked "wait for game x" post.

Imho, the PS3 (and 360) already have quite a few games that (should) cater the mainstream gaming audience.

On PS3:
- GT5P
- Virtua fighter
- Musou
- Minna no Golf
- Gundam

No?

VonGak! said:

Just like Souldriver said.

Put

WE (over 1m on PS2)
RR (over 600k on PS2)
AC (over 200k on PS2)
Boku no Natsu Yasumi (over 300k on PS2)
Pro Yakyuu

on the list for successful franchises already on PS3.

Plus things like

Bladestorm
Folk Lore
Imabikisou
Enchanted Arms

that were catered to the japanese audience.

nli10

itxaka said:
Microsoft X360:

Hardware = 531,072 through Dec 16/07
Tie Ratio = 4.15 (See note at bottom)

It begins!

X360 Alienates casual gamers confirmed! :lol

Total opposite to Nintendo's strategy, and certain to keep them in business (in the west at least). Sony's wishy-washy middle ground stance will work in the end, but being everyone's 2nd console isn't gonna work at a high price point.

I miss being on a message board where you can vote down posts that are off topic and just +1s. Guess it adds to the ignore list though...

Anth

What suprises me about this is how close the PS3 and the 360 are in software sales. I'm getting more uncertain if the the PS3 really has a chance to catch the 360 world-wide. Japan doesn't make much of a difference after all, so Europe would have to cancel out the 360's lead in NA all by itself.

Kildace

Isn't the high 360 tie ratio also a result of a lot of gamers selling their 360 after beating the current big hit and therefore artificially inflating the tie-ratio?

Luigison

749,385 Wii Fit (Nintendo) (12/1/07) - through Dec 23/07 (MC)
664,000 Super Mario Galaxy (Nintendo) (11/1/07) - rounded off through Dec 23/07 (MC)

Wii Fit is better than SMG confirmed total!

16,000 Takarajima Z: Barbaros no Hihou (Zack & Wiki: Quest for Barbaros' Treasure) (Capcom) (10/25/07) - rounded off through Dec 2/07 (MC)

Poor Zack & Wiki :(

Anth said:
What suprises me about this is how close the PS3 and the 360 are in software sales. I'm getting more uncertain if the the PS3 really has a chance to catch the 360 world-wide. Japan doesn't make much of a difference after all, so Europe would have to cancel out the 360's lead in NA all by itself.
Well 360 also has a year more, plus it has roughly double the amount of titles available.

And if you're thinking of the install base software sales don't matter. 1m more PS3s (in comparison to 360) means just that. PS3 will beat 360's LTD in Europe, that's a given and it'll happen next year. Wether or not that puts PS3 up front world wide by the end of next year or so is to be seen. If PS3 continues to underperform in NA and Japan it'll be a very close race.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
nofi said:
I speak the Queen's English - what does 'through' mean? Until?

Through a time period means up until the end of that time period. I thought that was a Queen's English thing, but I'm in Canada so we mostly speak a mangled hybrid of QE and American English.

vanguardian1

poor, homeless and tasteless
Stumpokapow said:
Through a time period means up until the end of that time period. I thought that was a Queen's English thing, but I'm in Canada so we mostly speak a mangled hybrid of QE and American English.

Queenglish? ;)

Seriously though, some of those numbers are downright absurd. 0.o

S

Shepherd

Unconfirmed Member
Phife Dawg said:
Well 360 also has a year more, plus it has roughly double the amount of titles available.

And if you're thinking of the install base software sales don't matter. 1m more PS3s (in comparison to 360) means just that. PS3 will beat 360's LTD in Europe, that's a given and it'll happen next year. Wether or not that puts PS3 up front world wide by the end of next year or so is to be seen. If PS3 continues to underperform in NA and Japan it'll be a very close race.

Maybe in Hardware. In software it will not be close at all.

klee123

Anth said:

Well, there are like literally double the amount of titles on 360 and not to mention that the 360 has been out for 2 years as opposed to PS3 with one.

klee123

Leon S. Kennedy said:
It seems strange to me that Capcom has 0 titles for the PS3. Do they have anything planned for the PS3 other than Devil May Cry and Biohazard?

A belated release of Lost Planet, Bionic Commando and likely SF IV

RiverBed said:
two questions:
1- why is Bandai and Namco listed separately?
2- why did PSP get a jump in hardware (about double) with no special software releases?
Beyond the aformentioned PSP Slim, there was also the FF7 Crisis Core pack (and the game itself).

It never sold quite like Pokemon does but it did move pretty darn well considering the intall base before it released.

I wonder if it broke 1,000,000... Last I saw it on the Top 10 I think it was at... 700,000?

Shepherd said:
Maybe in Hardware. In software it will not be close at all.
May very well be, I thought he was talking about hardware and that's how I worded my reply. I don't think anyone truly believes PS3 software sales will eclipse 360's next year. After all the majority of software that does sell well on PS3 sells better on 360. And I don't think the PS3 exclusives will make up for that.

KyanMehwulfe said:
Beyond the aformentioned PSP Slim, there was also the FF7 Crisis Core pack (and the game itself).

It never sold quite like Pokemon does but it did move pretty darn well considering the intall base before it released.

I wonder if it broke 1,000,000... Last I saw it on the Top 10 I think it was at... 700,000?
I don't think the original release will ever make a million. Although we have seen stranger things happening. But apart from MnG and MH we haven't seen PSP software with those kind of legs.

donny2112

Dalthien said:
An interesting look at the 3rd-party situation as it currently stands:

2,972,373 - Wii 3rd-parties
2.026.259 - PS3 3rd-parties
1,489,957 - X360 3rd-parties

Just for fun:

9,623,641 - Nintendo 1st party Wii software
6,488,589 - 3rd parties combined (Wii +PS3 + X360)
8,209,229 - All non-Nintendo software (including Sony & Microsoft) (Wii + PS3 + X360)

Great breakdown. Thanks for keeping this up-to-date along with the PSP/DS lists! :D

Busaiku

KyanMehwulfe said:

It sold through 741k by December 9th. I don't think it's at 1,000,000 now. 800k seems more likely.

Jokeropia

nextgeneration said:
Funny how 360 has the highest tie ratio despite having the smallest installed base.
Despite? Having a small installed base is generally a good thing if you want a high tie-ratio.
Threi said:
Wii, PS3, and 360 software bomba.
I believe Wii has the highest software sales of any system after 1 year ever, actually.

Threi

notag
Jokeropia said:
I believe Wii has the highest software sales of any system after 1 year ever, actually.

I was just kidding. Besides, even if software sales were completely terrible, the rapidly growing userbase would eventually negate it.

Jokeropia

I figured you were, but there's this false notion going around that Wii has poor software sales (it's so common that it's almost become gospel in certain circles) and I try to extinguish it whenever I can.

DeathWasHere said:
Nice job Wii! Your a console that can take a hit and keep on coming! Solid online, great graphics have proved nothing when it comes to innovative controls! Waggle is the future of gaming! I bet you the next Porsche will have waggle. Waggle the keys around to start the car. Waggle your leg around to accelerate. WAGGLE IS THE FUTURE!
I wouldn't be surprised if they integrate the pointer functionality to TVs. Why nobody thought of it in the first place is mindboggling.

Jirotrom

DeathWasHere said:
it's sad when you make yourself sound like a 12 year old... but maybe you are.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
People talk about how Zelda:TP bomba'd in Japan but it outsold Dragon Quest Swords and Super Paper Mario.

I guess that's not super amazing but that's still really good, right?

Truespeed

Terrell said:
If what Crushed did is what passes for humor around here... damn, are you guys starved for a laugh. Hold on, I'm sure I've got a kindergarten level knock-knock joke I could tell ya...

Ok.

(Did I do it right?)

Top Bottom